It's official...Half-Life 3 announced for a Q3 2014 release.

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by HyperWarlock (3295 posts) -

Been playing it for hours today, can't get enough of it. The story, visuals, combat, driving...pretty much everything in the game is polished to perfection. If you have been wondering about picking it up, go for it.

It's on sale right now, I highly recommend you pick it up!

#2 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

I should have bought it on GMG. THough i am not buying things on it ccome to find out, because they make you jump through verification hoops at the end of purchasing. I was just going to buy Alan Wake and more.

#3 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
It truly is!
#4 Posted by slabber44 (985 posts) -
I've throughly enjoyed it. Just finished the main story, and starting the DLC mission (North Point). Still have to go find all lock boxes and a couple more races to complete, but I'm actually looking forward to it. Nothing against GTA, but I like this game better personnally.
#5 Posted by HyperWarlock (3295 posts) -

I've throughly enjoyed it. Just finished the main story, and starting the DLC mission (North Point). Still have to go find all lock boxes and a couple more races to complete, but I'm actually looking forward to it. Nothing against GTA, but I like this game better personnally.slabber44

To be fair, There is a 4 year gap between the last GTA game and Sleeping Dogs.

#6 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17469 posts) -

Yeah one of my favourite games of this year.

It's not just a GTA clone, it added some great new elements to the formula as well. Which in turn I hope GTA will copy.

#7 Posted by KABCOOL (1147 posts) -

It was enjoyable, but nothing beats a good ol playthrough of GTA IV in my op. But it was a good game, never got around to beating it though.

#8 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6875 posts) -
Yeah I really enjoyed it.
#9 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

I love it, but I put it on hold for other games so I get the chance to pick up the DLC when it's on sale. THe Drunken Master pack (or whatever you call it) sounds like a lot of fun.

#10 Posted by JangoWuzHere (17273 posts) -

It was ok...perfection is not a way I would describe the game.

#11 Posted by sailor232 (5038 posts) -

I really enjoyed it, hated the ending.

#12 Posted by with_teeth26 (6276 posts) -

I found it kinda dull compared to SR3. They aren't going for the same thing I know but all the same it never really grabbed my attention, I still need to finish it. Its a competent open world game but nothing really stands out about it.

Melee combat is inferior to Batman, ranged combat is inferior to most everything, the story is ok but not great, same with the driving. Its enjoyable for sure but also rather forgettable.

#13 Posted by ampiva (1249 posts) -
I tried to like bu the driving was so bad I couldn't play it.
#14 Posted by HyperWarlock (3295 posts) -

I found it kinda dull compared to SR3. They aren't going for the same thing I know but all the same it never really grabbed my attention, I still need to finish it. Its a competent open world game but nothing really stands out about it.

Melee combat is inferior to Batman, ranged combat is inferior to most everything, the story is ok but not great, same with the driving. Its enjoyable for sure but also rather forgettable.

with_teeth26

I think the ranged combat is excellent.

#15 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

[QUOTE="with_teeth26"]

HyperWarlock

I think the range combat is excellent and no game has melee combat as good as the Batman games imo.

I actually really liked the ranged combat too, the controls were lame (Shift to aim?), but the AI wasn't terrible, the guns had a satisfying "pop" to them, and it was fun to have a human shield or kick someone while vaulting cover.

#16 Posted by BattleSpectre (6804 posts) -

The game looks amazing, i will definitely pick this up now that Steam are having a massive sale.

#17 Posted by ShadowsDemon (9481 posts) -
I agree. It's one of the best games of 2012. :)
#18 Posted by ShadowsDemon (9481 posts) -

sailor232
What was so bad about it?
#19 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4313 posts) -

sailor232
Yup. the story was going pretty good for most of the game but I feel it just fell off the deep end for the ending.
#20 Posted by kozzy1234 (35329 posts) -

Yup, good game :)

I had a blast with the hand to hand combat

#21 Posted by nutcrackr (12820 posts) -
after they fixed the mouse controls and improved the car camera it is very enjoyable.
#22 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

Yup, good game :)

I had a blast with the hand to hand combat

kozzy1234
Yup! And the game looks beautiful!
#23 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17469 posts) -

I actually really liked the ranged combat too, the controls were lame (Shift to aim?), but the AI wasn't terrible, the guns had a satisfying "pop" to them, and it was fun to have a human shield or kick someone while vaulting cover.

SPYDER0416

I thought so too. The shotgun and assault rifle felt very powerful and satisfying to use. Problem was the handgun didn't and you got that weapon most of the time.

#24 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5896 posts) -

Maybe I'm just a GTA fanboy, but SR3 was fun while I played it, but I never had any inclination to go back and replay the game once down with the story. GTA IV I've booted up a million times afterwards to mess around in the city and get chased by cops. Does Sleeping Dogs have better replay value because these type of sandbox games are one of my favorites.

#25 Posted by slabber44 (985 posts) -

Maybe I'm just a GTA fanboy, but SR3 was fun while I played it, but I never had any inclination to go back and replay the game once down with the story. GTA IV I've booted up a million times afterwards to mess around in the city and get chased by cops. Does Sleeping Dogs have better replay value because these type of sandbox games are one of my favorites.

Cwagmire21
I believe it would be exactly what your looking for. I go back after completing it and there's still alot of things to do especially if your like me trying to complete 100% of the game. You can definitely go back and cause all kinds of trouble if you so wish.
#26 Posted by Ben-Buja (2765 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

slabber44

I believe it would be exactly what your looking for. I go back after completing it and there's still alot of things to do especially if your like me trying to complete 100% of the game. You can definitely go back and cause all kinds of trouble if you so wish.

I disagree, the world just isn't as open, nor are the pedestrians and cops as funny to mess with.

The game definitely is worth getting and fun, just not hundreds of hours fun like GTA.

#27 Posted by ShadowsDemon (9481 posts) -

[QUOTE="slabber44"][QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

Ben-Buja

I disagree, the world just isn't as open, nor are the pedestrians and cops as funny to mess with.

The game definitely is worth getting and fun, just not hundreds of hours fun like GTA.

Yeah, once you're done with it, you're done.
#28 Posted by rogelio22 (2424 posts) -

yup SD and max payne 3 are my favorite games this year (well so is tekken tag 2) but that nightmare on northpoint was kinda dissapointing ( to short) good thing is i got it for free during the halloween sale at gamersgate with 2500 gbp:D

#29 Posted by Byshop (12543 posts) -

Where this game acceled was in the vibrant and life-like city environment that you got to explore, the decent story that was -very- well acted by mostly Hollywood actors and woven into the gameplay well, the on foot parkour-esque chase mechanics, and the hand to hand combat (no it's not as good as Batman but it's better than any GTA/GTA clone). I didn't not, however, feel compelled to go back to it after beating it. Still, a very good game. Especially for the $20-$30 it's going for now.

-Byshop

#30 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

yup SD and max payne 3 are my favorite games this year (well so is tekken tag 2) but that nightmare on northpoint was kinda dissapointing ( to short) good thing is i got it for free during the halloween sale at gamersgate with 2500 gbp:D

rogelio22
Yup. Max Payne 3, Sleeping Dogs, Dishonored, Saints Row The Third, Assassin's Creed 3, Deadlight, and Hitman Absolution are wonderful. :)
#31 Posted by rogelio22 (2424 posts) -

[QUOTE="rogelio22"]

Elann2008

Yup. Max Payne 3, Sleeping Dogs, Dishonored, Saints Row The Third, Assassin's Creed 3, Deadlight, and Hitman Absolution are wonderful. :)

i have SR3rd(good game but havnt beatn it) want AC3, hitman A and dishonored. i might get them during the winter sale if they go down low enough

#32 Posted by FelipeInside (26164 posts) -

Been playing it for hours today, can't get enough of it. The story, visuals, combat, driving...pretty much everything in the game is polished to perfection. If you have been wondering about picking it up, go for it.

HyperWarlock
I think I'm the only one who didn't like it. Played it for a while but it just seemed boring imo. Maybe I should have played a while longer?
#33 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

FelipeInside
I think I'm the only one who didn't like it. Played it for a while but it just seemed boring imo. Maybe I should have played a while longer?

Definitely. :) I know you don't have a lot of time, like myself, but give it a chance Felipe!
#34 Posted by wis3boi (31906 posts) -

It is a great game, but it needs a little more meat on the bones. Gorgeous game though, and the fighting is solid.

#35 Posted by FelipeInside (26164 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

Elann2008

Definitely. :) I know you don't have a lot of time, like myself, but give it a chance Felipe!

Does it have a good story? The first few hours just seemed to drag on and on.
#36 Posted by jakes456 (1398 posts) -

GTA rip off. Game fails on many fronts. Very average gameplay and horrid driving.

#37 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I think I'm the only one who didn't like it. Played it for a while but it just seemed boring imo. Maybe I should have played a while longer?FelipeInside

Does it have a good story? The first few hours just seemed to drag on and on.

If you've seen The Departed, or Infernal Affairs, or Hard Boiled then you probably know what to expect for 90% of the game's story to be about. I do think that unlike those, Wei actually does seem much more torn between the police and the Triads, with a more sympathetic look at Triad higher ups and Wei constantly doing super anti police stuff (like brutally murdering every suspect, which Yahtzee points out in Zero Punctuation).

I do think the characters are all really interesting though and like a Grand Theft Auto game, you get a sense for them as time goes on. Unlike GTA though, it seems with some of the characters (especially girlfriends) the game has a bad habit of just forgetting they existed. People knocked GTA for the dating and friendship mechanics, but those were at least optional and meant I didn't have important characters just plain disappearing, especially ones voiced by Emma Stone.

Once guns are introduced though, the game really starts to pick up in terms of variety and pacing I think.

#38 Posted by HyperWarlock (3295 posts) -

GTA rip off. Game fails on many fronts. Very average gameplay and horrid driving.

jakes456

someone must have left the cage unlocked, it got out again.

#39 Posted by Ballroompirate (23646 posts) -

I have to agree, Sleeping Dogs is easily a very underrated game. Just love the vibe in SD, plus Shen is a pretty likeable character in my eyes.

#40 Posted by FelipeInside (26164 posts) -

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

HyperWarlock

someone must have left the cage unlocked, it got out again.

I'm sure the guard locked it last night? Maybe it dug a hole underneath...?
#41 Posted by the_ChEeSe_mAn2 (8464 posts) -
Gamefly was having a sale on some games and Sleeping Dogs as well for $24.99 (the digital edition). I found a Gamefly coupon for 20% which made the final price of $20. I think that's a pretty good deal. I liked the demo and wanted more. Now is my chance :)
#42 Posted by Riadon2 (1598 posts) -

I thought it was a really good game but the ending was rushed and the dating system pissed me off to no end.

#43 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
I just recently finished the game and thought it was brilliant. Loved the fighting, the driving and the story. Sick looking graphics too, especially the rain at night.
#44 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

I just recently finished the game and thought it was brilliant. Loved the fighting, the driving and the story. Sick looking graphics too, especially the rain at night.GodModeEnabled

Oh yeah it is a really surprisingly beautiful game, the animations for the faces were a little stiff (or seemed that way with how fluid everything else was), but the rain and water effects were amazing and the cars and streets look damn lifelike.

#45 Posted by wis3boi (31906 posts) -

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]I just recently finished the game and thought it was brilliant. Loved the fighting, the driving and the story. Sick looking graphics too, especially the rain at night.SPYDER0416

Oh yeah it is a really surprisingly beautiful game, the animations for the faces were a little stiff (or seemed that way with how fluid everything else was), but the rain and water effects were amazing and the cars and streets look damn lifelike.

especially with sharpening from sweetfx

#46 Posted by FelipeInside (26164 posts) -
STOP saying so many good things about this game....u guys are gonna make me reinstall it... :P
#47 Posted by kozzy1234 (35329 posts) -

STOP saying so many good things about this game....u guys are gonna make me reinstall it... :PFelipeInside

I just did the same actually, already beat it awhile ago, but I have two of the newest DLC's so im going to give it another go. Fun game.

#48 Posted by FelipeInside (26164 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]STOP saying so many good things about this game....u guys are gonna make me reinstall it... :Pkozzy1234

I just did the same actually, already beat it awhile ago, but I have two of the newest DLC's so im going to give it another go. Fun game.

Ok ok. Will reinstall and try it again, probably this weekend....see if it grabs me this time around.
#49 Posted by V4LENT1NE (12895 posts) -
Played like 45 minutes of it, and while it was pretty good I just havent really bothered turning back to it, busy with Dishonored and BO2 at the moment.