It's official, Brian Fargo working on spiritual Planescape: Torment successor

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Mazoch (2418 posts) -

From GameSpy:

In early December, we learned that inXile's Brian Fargo trademarked "Torment" with the intention of making a spiritual successor to RPG classicPlanescape: Torment. Now it's official. In an interview withRock, Paper, Shotgun, Fargo confirmed a new Torment game is in the works with one of the original designers of Planescape, Monte Cook.

RPS says it will have a complete interview with Fargo posted right around noon EST (5 pm UK time), but for now, it's sharing these details: Torment will be set in Cook's new pen and paper RPG universe, Numenera, and along with Cook, a "number of other key" members from the original Planescape team are on board.

Why not just make a Planescape: Torment sequel? Wizards of the Coast still owns the Planescape IP, and there have been no signs that it would like to revisit the setting with a new PC RPG.

Wave_1_Half_CharacterLineUp_Final-2_1357

So expect a Planescape: Torment-like experience, only set in Numenera, which sounds pretty amazing. You can get the full rundown on the extensiveNumenera website, but here's an overview:

Numenera is a science fantasy roleplaying game set in the far distant future. Humanity lives amid the remnants of eight great civilizations that have risen and fallen on Earth. These are the people of the Ninth World. This new world is filled with remnants of all the former worlds: bits of nanotechnology, the dataweb threaded among still-orbiting satellites, bio-engineered creatures, and myriad strange and wondrous devices. These remnants have become known as the numenera.

Player characters explore this world of mystery and danger to find these leftover artifacts of the past, not to dwell upon the old ways, but to help forge their new destinies, utilizing the so-called "magic" of the past to create a promising future.

Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, and now a new Torment. I think it's safe to call this an RPG renaissance.

#2 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -
Ahhh yeaahhhhh!
#3 Posted by -wildflower- (2867 posts) -

I'm not 100% sold on this one but I will remain cautiously optimistic. Brian Fargo has been saying all the right things lately so I am more than prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, for now.

With so many promising RPGs around the corner I don't know where I am going to find the time to play them all.

#4 Posted by FelipeInside (25664 posts) -
I guess I will have to try this since I could never finish (or properly play) Torment, yet I hear great things about it.
#5 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15592 posts) -

I was happy to support both Wasteland 2 and Numenera on Kickstarter. Great to see them come together to make a sequel to one of the best games I've ever played.

#6 Posted by KalDurenik (3768 posts) -
Well so far it sound great =)
#7 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Cool news by me.
#8 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -
Now the question is... If I was never able to get into Baldur's Gate / Icewind Dale... Will I be able to get into Planescape Torment?
#9 Posted by KalDurenik (3768 posts) -
Planescape torment have overall the same combat as Baldur's Gate just bad in every way. The main aspect of planescape is the story... You have a lot of details in the world and lots of choices on how to handle the situations. Will you like it? I guess it depends on why you did not get into bg and iwd.
#10 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -
[QUOTE="KalDurenik"]Planescape torment have overall the same combat as Baldur's Gate just bad in every way. The main aspect of planescape is the story... You have a lot of details in the world and lots of choices on how to handle the situations. Will you like it? I guess it depends on why you did not get into bg and iwd.

Truth be told, i don't know what it is... I start them, few minutes later feel bored and end up uninstalling. During the BG/IWD era, I was playing Diablo 1, so combat wise, i'm more used to Diablos pace. Another issue I have is I dislike managing party groups in RPGs nowadays. I used to be able to play old RPGs (SNES / PS2 ones) like Chrono Trigger / Persona 3-4, but when it comes to BG/IWD, I just can't. Pretty much the reason why I'm also having trouble making alts in MMOs, rather just have 1 character. I make the alt, few minutes later, it's deleted.
#11 Posted by KalDurenik (3768 posts) -

Then most likely no. Its party based (i guess you could solo it also) and the combat is not PST's strong point.

Ofc there is a chance that you would like it (you dont know until you try). But its a lot of reading and looking / talking to people (even more so the first time you play).

#12 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -

Then most likely no. Its party based (i guess you could solo it also) and the combat is not PST's strong point.

Ofc there is a chance that you would like it (you dont know until you try). But its a lot of reading and looking / talking to people (even more so the first time you play).

KalDurenik

Too true... It's only 10$ on GoG, might as well try it out.

#13 Posted by Lucianu (9443 posts) -

trastamad03

Best to know what you're getting into. Planescape Torment is practically an adventure game built in the Infinity Engine. The focus is on the plot, the dialogues, the characters and exploring the environments to solve various puzzles. The combat is the worst of all Infinity Engine games, slower and clunky, but you can evade most of it.

Also i recommend you do not play without the modslisted here. From step 3a install everything, it'll make the game bug free, and absolutely beautiful.

#14 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -

[QUOTE="trastamad03"]

Lucianu

Best to know what you're getting into. Planescape Torment is practically an adventure game built in the Infinity Engine. The focus is on the plot, the dialogues, the characters and exploring the environments to solve various puzzles. The combat is the worst of all Infinity Engine games, slower and clunky, but you can evade most of it.

Also i recommend you do not play without the modslisted here. From step 3a install everything, it'll make the game bug free, and absolutely beautiful.

Thanks I'll give the mods a try as well :)
#15 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3848 posts) -

Gonna keep a close eye on this one.

#16 Posted by Articuno76 (18860 posts) -

[QUOTE="KalDurenik"]Planescape torment have overall the same combat as Baldur's Gate just bad in every way. The main aspect of planescape is the story... You have a lot of details in the world and lots of choices on how to handle the situations. Will you like it? I guess it depends on why you did not get into bg and iwd.trastamad03
Truth be told, i don't know what it is... I start them, few minutes later feel bored and end up uninstalling. During the BG/IWD era, I was playing Diablo 1, so combat wise, i'm more used to Diablos pace. Another issue I have is I dislike managing party groups in RPGs nowadays. I used to be able to play old RPGs (SNES / PS2 ones) like Chrono Trigger / Persona 3-4, but when it comes to BG/IWD, I just can't. Pretty much the reason why I'm also having trouble making alts in MMOs, rather just have 1 character. I make the alt, few minutes later, it's deleted.

I have had that exact same experience. No amount of modding I've tried has made BW enjoyable for me. I've poured over the game manual for hours and finally deciphered the stats and game system and still I don't really feel engaged. Just like you, I've had connections to simple sprite characters in 16-bit RPGs so I am not quite sure why the characters in BW don't do it for me. The funny thing is I loved Dragon Age which is supposed to draw heavily on BW.

#17 Posted by Articuno76 (18860 posts) -
[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="trastamad03"]

trastamad03

Thanks I'll give the mods a try as well :)

Thanks from me as well. It sounds great. I have a massive backlog to clear first but I'll get around to this eventually.
#18 Posted by bussinrounds (2198 posts) -

[QUOTE="trastamad03"][QUOTE="KalDurenik"]Planescape torment have overall the same combat as Baldur's Gate just bad in every way. The main aspect of planescape is the story... You have a lot of details in the world and lots of choices on how to handle the situations. Will you like it? I guess it depends on why you did not get into bg and iwd.Articuno76

I have had that exact same experience. No amount of modding I've tried has made BW enjoyable for me. I've poured over the game manual for hours and finally deciphered the stats and game system and still I don't really feel engaged. Just like you, I've had connections to simple sprite characters in 16-bit RPGs so I am not quite sure why the characters in BW don't do it for me. The funny thing is I loved Dragon Age which is supposed to draw heavily on BW.

Maybe you just need those AWESOME romances and choices in cinematic dialog that lead to the same conclusion, so you can get fully IMMERSED.

#19 Posted by TheHighWind (3826 posts) -

I never got past character creation because I didn't want to play as a "nameless zombie/mummy" looking dude.

#20 Posted by TheHighWind (3826 posts) -

Also, screw that.

Give me The Temple of Elemental Evil 2!!

#21 Posted by -wildflower- (2867 posts) -

Also, screw that.

TheHighWind

Here you go: Chaos Chronicles

#22 Posted by TheHighWind (3826 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheHighWind"]

Also, screw that.

-wildflower-

Here you go: Chaos Chronicles

Saved page and I'll probably buy it when it comes out. Thank you.

#23 Posted by Articuno76 (18860 posts) -

[QUOTE="Articuno76"]

[QUOTE="trastamad03"] Truth be told, i don't know what it is... I start them, few minutes later feel bored and end up uninstalling. During the BG/IWD era, I was playing Diablo 1, so combat wise, i'm more used to Diablos pace. Another issue I have is I dislike managing party groups in RPGs nowadays. I used to be able to play old RPGs (SNES / PS2 ones) like Chrono Trigger / Persona 3-4, but when it comes to BG/IWD, I just can't. Pretty much the reason why I'm also having trouble making alts in MMOs, rather just have 1 character. I make the alt, few minutes later, it's deleted.bussinrounds

Maybe you just need those AWESOME romances and choices in cinematic dialog that lead to the same conclusion, so you can get fully IMMERSED.

Dammit! I knew I was missing something!
#24 Posted by Maroxad (8339 posts) -

Sounds like yet another promising RPG in the upcoming new golden age of RPGs.

It will be interesting to see where this one goes.

#25 Posted by FelipeInside (25664 posts) -

Sounds like yet another promising RPG in the upcoming new golden age of RPGs.

It will be interesting to see where this one goes.

Maroxad
Can I be the Devil's Advocate for one second please? (and remember my favourite RPG of all time is Baldurs Gate). Just because this game or CChronicles looks like Baldurs Gate or is isometric doesn't automatically make it a good RPG. I don't mind RPGs going full 3D with beautiful graphics, it helps the immersion. Technology has gone past these kind of isometric RPGs, so why not take advantage? You can get a good looking RPG with good gameplay (Witcher 2).