Issues fitting my new PSU.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Eldercaveman (23 posts) -

So I recently purchased a new PSU and GPU, after being advised on some solid upgrades my off the shelf desktop, but I have run into some issues fitting the PSU and haven't fen attempted anything with the GPU yet!

The PSU is a Corsair RM 550, fully modular. And my PC is a HP Pavillion P6 series. The main issues I'm having is first the actually PSU is about an inch longer than the original, then with the cables out e back I'm struggling to place the disk drive back in place, and secondly, which I believe may be a bigger issue, my motherboard has a 4 prong connection for the ?CPU (I think this is the 12v part?) and the cables don't come with any 4 prong connectors.

What can I do? Am I screwed?

#2 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23460 posts) -

You can plug your power supply's 8 pin connector (cpu) into the motherboard's 4pin without issues. Usually they detatchable, just don't put the pci express power connector into the motherboard.

#3 Posted by 04dcarraher (19249 posts) -

Ive ran into these issues in the past fixing pc's Alot of the prebuilt computers from HP, Dell etc use customized cases that may use a special sized psu or just a smaller one that does not use a 120mm fan. Your case does not have the option of moving the dvd drive down a slot to allow wiggle room for the cables so that sucks. To answer the next question your psu 12v cable looks like an 8 pin but is a 4+4 setup which can unsnap to fit into the 4pin cpu plug. If you can not fit the psu into the case because of the dvd you can always remove it or buy another case that will allow more options.

#4 Posted by Eldercaveman (23 posts) -

@04dcarraher: so everything now 'fits'. I've had to remove the DVD drive, but that's not a big issue, and part of the metal back plate to make the GPU fit. However I'm still getting nothing when I've plugged the power supply in and turned on the machine. Nothing starts, no clicking, no lights just nothing, I've watched every which way and form of tutorial I can find, but they are all aimed at things that go together right.

Behinds smashing my computer on a wall, any advise you could give me. Or should I just give up?

#5 Posted by PredatorRules (7399 posts) -

@04dcarraher: so everything now 'fits'. I've had to remove the DVD drive, but that's not a big issue, and part of the metal back plate to make the GPU fit. However I'm still getting nothing when I've plugged the power supply in and turned on the machine. Nothing starts, no clicking, no lights just nothing, I've watched every which way and form of tutorial I can find, but they are all aimed at things that go together right.

Behinds smashing my computer on a wall, any advise you could give me. Or should I just give up?

There's a little button on the PSU itself, you should switch it to turn it on.

#6 Posted by Eldercaveman (23 posts) -

@PredatorRules: if you mean the on off switch that's next the plug the. Yeah I've tried that, but if there is another that's more discreet then I may have missed it.