Is wildstar's framerate really that bad?

#1 Posted by topher78714 (643 posts) -

So I'm on the brink of buying Wildstar because it sounds like a fun MMO, but I hear people saying they aren't getting past 20fps on medium settings and even on low setting they are barely breaking 40fps. That seems a bit harsh for me.

So is it truly that bad, that the only way to run the game is with a REALLY high end PC?

Thanks!

#2 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23420 posts) -

It ran very well for me, 2600k at 4.4ghz, gtx 670 sli. Over 100+fps which is better than WoW in a lot of places.

#3 Posted by FelipeInside (25168 posts) -

So I'm on the brink of buying Wildstar because it sounds like a fun MMO, but I hear people saying they aren't getting past 20fps on medium settings and even on low setting they are barely breaking 40fps. That seems a bit harsh for me.

So is it truly that bad, that the only way to run the game is with a REALLY high end PC?

Thanks!

I didn't get the final game but the beta ran fine for me.

#4 Edited by ferrari2001 (16755 posts) -

Everything ran perfectly fine for me in Beta. I was getting 60+ pretty much everywhere. Settings were pretty much at their highest.

#5 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8133 posts) -

I don't know my fps but I play on medium 1080 and I get very playable frame rates on my laptop.

#6 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

I max settings at 1080 res and it runs fine for me. The only stutters I get come from lag spikes here and there.

Phenom 965 and a 770 with 8gb ram.

Keep in mind there IS in fact a memory leak in this game, I have gotten the low memory message twice. When things start to bog down a little I exit and restart.

#7 Edited by SerOlmy (1624 posts) -

I bounced between 20 and 40 in the beta, which was really low on my hardware IMO (i5 2750k and 570GTX both OCed). Seems to be an optimization issue, I get the same thing in Landmark. I actually get much higher FPS in GW2, which is much more graphically intensive. Not sure why Landmark/Wildstar have such issue.

#8 Edited by NeoGen85 (4150 posts) -

Much of the problem comes from individuals using AMD processors or the combination of an AMD product. I typically run between 30-40FPS using FX8350 and a Sapphire 270x 4GB but it can drop between 20-25FPS[especially in some parts of the main Exile city, Thayd]. I feel like I should be running the game at a better framerate considering both the minimum and maximum requirements; but that's not the case. Besides, Intel processors tend to handle MMORPGs better anyway.

But regardless the game isn't optimize well in my opinion.

#9 Posted by Arthas045 (5094 posts) -

I had 0 issues with the beta.

#10 Posted by topher78714 (643 posts) -

Well I took the plunge and purchased it hoping for the best. I haven't had the chance to play the game yet, but I'm hoping today or tomorrow to give it a chance and see how it turns out.

#11 Posted by BSC14 (3607 posts) -

I think it needs to e optimized a bit better.

It's not the worst I have seen but could be better for sure. vsync kills the framerate.

#12 Posted by kungfool69 (2574 posts) -

we are running it on a i7 920 at stock, with 12gb RAM and a GTx 460. To get a stable from rate its at medium. Could be net speed related cos we are in australia.....

#13 Edited by AutoPilotOn (8133 posts) -

I put in my new 770 in my 2500k rig all default clock speeds and it runs awesome on ultra 1080 res. so much better than it did on my laptop did on medium. Not to mention my laptop would overheat after about an hour of playing and shutoff.

#14 Posted by SerOlmy (1624 posts) -

I really can't figure out how why the frame rate varies to much between people with similar hardware. You have people with mid range gear who are either runnign it well or getting sub 40 FPS on medium, and people with high end gear are runnign it maxed out with 60+ FPs or also getting sub-40 on high. There has to be some coding issues here or driver optimization issues because we should not be seeing that kind of spread. Hopefully they will get with nVidia/AMD and figure out wtf is going on because I should have been getting much better FPS than I was on a i5 2750k and 570GTX (OCed to be equiv to a stock 580).

#15 Edited by AutoPilotOn (8133 posts) -

@SerOlmy: I would think you'd get similar to me with my 2500k and 770gtx. It runs beautifully. How do u see fps I could see what I am running at

#16 Edited by SerOlmy (1624 posts) -

@AutoPilotOn: during the beta at least you could monitor it up in the top corner, but that might have been removed at launch. If there isn't an option you might need to use fraps or something similar. I was getting between 20 and 40 FPS consistently, never above 45. I was running on high with some post processing, but not much compared to what I run on GW2 which is much more graphically intensive. Someone said the engine has a major issue with vsync so that could be it, because I always run vsync.

#17 Posted by cjmilla527 (30 posts) -

Yes it is pretty bad. I'm in the mix of getting a refund or having them extend my 30 days free to a later date. I have a very high end system intel i7 2600k, R9 290 tri X which is benching higher than a 780 ti 8GB ram and average 45 fps on MEDIUM settings. and go as low as 24 FPS in towns havent even seen raids so dont even talk about that because there is no way I could prob even get performance good enough for that shit. Anyway anyone with AMD products is getting destroyed fps wise not all but most. If you have intel i7 and a nvidia GPu 760 or higher you will be fine and if you have a high end AMD card you will get ok fps like me 45 is playable but is pretty abysmal for the power of my specs and in no cases in that games should I ever see the 20s or even 30s fps wise for that matter and its pretty common occurrence in that game.

#18 Posted by NeoGen85 (4150 posts) -

Call me a graphic whore. But I really like playing at a decent and consistent frame rate. This is one of the reasons why I find myself spending no time with Wildstar currently. Even some of the smaller settlements has the game dropping my frames down to 20FPS and I'm not even in a place like Thayd. I can literally look in the opposite the direction and shoot up to 50FPS, then walk a couple of meters and shoot to 30FPS. WTF?! I play on a modified low to medium.

#19 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8133 posts) -

Weird, it runs great on my 770 with a 2500k at 1080 and everything cranked all the way up. Most be poor amd optimizing.

#21 Edited by cjmilla527 (30 posts) -

@NeoGen85:

I'm the same way as you man. Low frame rates and inconsistent performance makes me cringe and is absolutely why I spend good money on a quality gaming rig. I cant deal with the crap WS performance so I have just been playing other games where my r9 290 destroys every thing I can throw at it at 1600p and WIldstar performs like utter shit. Didnt buy a i7 and a 290 to see fps in the 20s if I wanted that I would be playing Crysis

#22 Posted by mep69 (1828 posts) -

The only time i get frame issues is in Illium