Is this used rig a good deal??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Mosleyx2003 (191 posts) -

Hey guys. I am looking to get a new rig. I will be playing ESO, WoW, Titanfall, Watch Dogs, etc. so I need something pretty powerful. I would prefer to be able to play these games on ultra settings with a high FPS. The rig is 1200$ but that's with a mouse/keyboard/monitor so keep that in mind. My other idea is to get a CyberPower computer, but I'd prefer not to wait on a build/shipping. The link is here:

http://clarksville.craigslist.org/sys/4453867782.html

But here are the specs if you don't want to open that:

CPU: i5 2500k "SANDY BRIDGE" Processor

GPU: 2x MSI GTX 670 Power Editions in SLI

RAM: 16gb 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance Memory

HDD1: OCZ Vertex Max IOPS 240gb SSD

HDD2: WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD

HDD3: WD Caviar Blue 500gb HDD

MOBO: MSI - Z77A-GD65 LGA1155 Socket

PSU: Corsair AX750 80 PLUS GOLD Certified MODULAR Power Supply

CASE: Corsair Carbide 500R White

COOLING: Corsair H80i ( 6x 120mm Fans + Side 240mm Fan )

#2 Edited by MonsieurX (31216 posts) -

Even with everything, I feel that it's a bit overpriced. Offer 1000$ then it'd be a good deal

#3 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (4032 posts) -

Because of this I wouldn't buy it... Unless you can get him down to 900-1000.

But, there is something slightly wrong with the machine- It's Hardware is fine, GPU, CPU, HDD, etc. are all functioning and in tip top shape, but my last roommate, was a very violent person and during an argument he ended up kicking my Desktop Tower.

As you can see in the Photo's above, some damage has happened to the EXTERIOR of the Unit meaning you might need a new case, I don't mind giving an attempt to bend the Wall back into place, but I'm not all that strong with my degenerative muscle disease.

The Machine runs fine, I did a system check, S.M.A.R.T. Test for the HDD's and I also checked the Memoery with EVEREST and several other Diagnostic tools. ( I'm a Tech for Geek Squad, so I know how to take care of that sort of thing so feel free to ask questions. )

The only other Major thing that happened, is when he kicked it, the H80i Liquid cooling System has a USB Plug that allows you to control some software stuff ( If you want to use the Corsair Suite ) and it was broken off. But it doesn't affect the performance in any way since you can use a different controller ( From Speed Fan or CPU-Z ) to adjust fan speeds ( Or the Onboard switch on the front of the case ).

#4 Posted by Mosleyx2003 (191 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: Thanks for the responses. If I can get this for 1000$, is this a good console though? Will it play the games I mentioned on Ultra or am I better off spending extra money for a more powerful machine?

#5 Posted by danxxx (682 posts) -

i would not spend more than 500 on a used machine if your budget is 1000 you are better off getting a new one that can play everything on ultra on 1080p.

#6 Posted by commander (8300 posts) -

@Mosleyx2003 said:

Hey guys. I am looking to get a new rig. I will be playing ESO, WoW, Titanfall, Watch Dogs, etc. so I need something pretty powerful. I would prefer to be able to play these games on ultra settings with a high FPS. The rig is 1200$ but that's with a mouse/keyboard/monitor so keep that in mind. My other idea is to get a CyberPower computer, but I'd prefer not to wait on a build/shipping. The link is here:

Don't spend a 1000$ on an i5.

You better buy a new machine.

You can get an i7 and a gtx 780 for that price

#7 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (16839 posts) -

@Mosleyx2003 said:

If it hasn't been overclocked, I'd buy it. GTX 670 SLI? 16Gb RAM? 3 hard drives including 1 SSD? But, if it's been overclocked? No thanks.

Edit:

It's been overclocked. So, no thanks.

#8 Edited by Cwagmire21 (5896 posts) -

I wouldn't buy a used PC for fear of what the previous owner had done to it. He even admits it's been knocked around.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.