Is this set up any good for gaming

#2 Posted by Coseniath (722 posts) -

Well the system (apart from the HDD which it doesnt clarify what HDD is) is great.

i7 4790K, 16GB and GTX780 will destroy almost any game today :).

#3 Posted by pwlewisuk (15 posts) -

@Coseniath:

What is HDD? Will this system coe with games like Sims 4 when it comes out - use to love that game

#5 Posted by pwlewisuk (15 posts) -
#6 Posted by PredatorRules (7574 posts) -

@PredatorRules: but i assume the above pec is good /better

Better? or just waste of money? depends on you, do you do some editing? if not the 16Gb and the i7 is throw money into the trash can.

With the extra money I'd pick a 250Gb SSD, Caviar Black HDD and higher grade PSU.

#7 Edited by Coseniath (722 posts) -

@Coseniath:

What is HDD? Will this system coe with games like Sims 4 when it comes out - use to love that game

HDD = Hard Disk Drive. Anyway I didn't said its bad. I just can't judge it if I don't know what is it.

This system I think that I can safely tell you that it will play sims 4 on max settings :P.

#8 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23475 posts) -

I'd keep the i7 and 16 gigabytes of ram. It's not hard to use a ton of ram if you just don't close tabs.

i7 is useful, especially for the future.

I'd get a bigger ssd.

#9 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (594 posts) -

Yeah keep the i7 and the 16GB RAM just for future proof.

That PSU is entry level series. There are better from Corsair.

Artic Silver 5 is good but outdated now, get Gelid GC Extreme or IC Diamond 7.

#10 Edited by pwlewisuk (15 posts) -

@EducatingU_PCMR:

It is a 2 TB hard drive.

Hae just upgraded memory so that i will have 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 8GB sticks) and changed to 250GB Samsung 840 EVO Solid State Drive.

#11 Posted by L0ngshot (34 posts) -

I'd keep the i7 and 16 gigabytes of ram. It's not hard to use a ton of ram if you just don't close tabs.

I'd get a bigger ssd.

16 GB is way over the top. I hardly utilize my 8GB ram and I've got a setup which is pretty similar to the OP.

#12 Edited by stizzal13 (602 posts) -
@l0ngshot said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

I'd get a bigger ssd.

16 GB is way over the top. I hardly utilize my 8GB ram and I've got a setup which is pretty similar to the OP.

I agree 16gb is a little much right now. I would look at the cost difference between 8 and 16 and analyze from there, if I were you. I would keep the i7 though.

#13 Posted by L0ngshot (34 posts) -

@l0ngshot said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

I'd get a bigger ssd.

I agree 16gb is a little much right now. I would look at the cost difference between 8 and 16 and analyze from there, if I were you. I would keep the i7 though.

I know. I never said to remove the i7 :)

#14 Posted by stizzal13 (602 posts) -

@l0ngshot said:

@stizzal13 said:
@l0ngshot said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

I'd get a bigger ssd.

I know. I never said to remove the i7 :)

No worries, I didn't mean to quote you in the first place. I was commenting on JiggyWiggly's post.

#15 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23475 posts) -

@l0ngshot said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

I'd get a bigger ssd.

I'm idling at 5.8 gigabytes at the moment. It depends on your computer use style.