is this monitor any good for playing games and watching films

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Chris_53 (5133 posts) -

I want one for gaming and and have a 7600GT. Its a Samsung which is a good make.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/114797/product_info/rb/25110151171

#2 Posted by Gog (16376 posts) -
It's decent. Being a TN screen it's not so good for watching movies.
#3 Posted by Gregoroth (2552 posts) -

It's decent. Being a TN screen it's not so good for watching movies.Gog

I find the different panels confusing. Seeing as you seem to know a bit about it, could you elaborate on the differences? I have read the description on Wikipedia a while ago but it was quite confusing. Nothing specified which was ideal for gaming and movies as Chris said.

I am interested in getting a TFT soon but if nothing is good enough for both of the above, including a sensible price (around £150), then I won't waste my money and I'll have just wait until I get a proper HDTV and use that.

Still, you reckon it's not particulary good with motion...so I'd presume gaming would be the same....

#4 Posted by Gog (16376 posts) -

Not really. The requirements for gaming and movies aren't the same.

TN monitors typically have the fastest response times, which is a very good thing for gaming. They are also cheaper than other TFT monitors.

They lack on other fronts though. A typical TN panel cannot display 16.7 million colors and due to extensive use of overdive, color overshoot is common,  they have narrow viewing angles and the response times varies a lot between color transitions. Those things make them unfit for watching movies because you want to look at the screen in a relaxed way and you don't want poor color gradients and one part of the screen updating faster than the other.

IPS and MVA/PVA screens are more expensive and have a slower response time. They offer wide viewing angles and 16.7 million colors. So those are usually a bit less suited for gaming but better for watching movies.

#5 Posted by Chris_53 (5133 posts) -

The main reason i want a new monitor is for gaming because my current monitor is a TFT 15inch CTX S500 and its crap. Its very blurry and the viewing angle is very low. Also i looked at a spec on the internet and it said it has a 40ms response time and even though my games are running at a good frame-rate (40fps - 70fps) it looks choppy and it skips a few frames aswell.

other spec

AMD Athlon 64 3400+

1.5 GB RAM DDR PC3200

7600GT

Realtek onboard sound (soon to be Soundblaster Audiology SE)

#6 Posted by Gog (16376 posts) -

The main reason i want a new monitor is for gaming because my current monitor is a TFT 15inch CTX S500 and its crap. Its very blurry and the viewing angle is very low. Also i looked at a spec on the internet and it said it has a 40ms response time and even though my games are running at a good frame-rate (40fps - 70fps) it looks choppy and it skips a few frames aswell.

other spec

AMD Athlon 64 3400+

1.5 GB RAM DDR PC3200

7600GT

Realtek onboard sound (soon to be Soundblaster Audiology SE)

Chris_53

You know, any recent LCD will be a huge upgrade from that. What I was saying before is mainly for people who expect the best from a LCD.