Is this a good business/gaming laptop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Acez626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Acez626
Member since 2006 • 690 Posts

I am looking for a laptop, that will primaly purpose will be for business ( sleek design/decent battery life )

but one that will also be able to run games like Day-Z, Diablo 3 and LoL at med-high settings.

At first (even made a topic here) I was going to get the new Macbook pros but decided its really not worth the price for my budget...which is $1,100 and less.

So far the best one ive found is this.

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-n550jvdb71-backorder-p-6115.html

RaZoR500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 RaZoR500
Member since 2005 • 381 Posts

Don't expect much out of gt 750m. It's pretty much a gt 740, which lets be honest I would never advise anyone to get for gaming.

Acez626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Acez626

What about this

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/?iPromoID=bannerY510p&

with the NVIDIA GeForce GT755M (SLI) GDDR5 2GB

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

yeah 750M is not that great for gaming, but you can run all those games. DayZ propably on med. then again, DayZ is far from optimized at the moment and it's pretty CPU-heavy, and the CPU in that laptop is pretty good.

it sure is a sleek looking laptop.

here you can see how well 750M performs with games (roll down the page):

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-750M.90245.0.html

you basicly want to have +40 fps for smooth gaming. seems like you could even play BF4 with it :)

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

You could get a lenovo idea pad. If you live in the states you can often find duel 750m versions for that price. The only thing that isn't the best on them is the battery it's about 3 hours with duel GPU's. Though you could like my friend buy yourself a battery station. It's about the size of an external harddrive and carries about 9hrs of charge for the laptop and any other device you want to connect it too.

Here's a link to a ideapad from lenovo link. If it is the route you go do some searching all ways better deals somewhere. The battery is for sure a turn off but like I said it's not hard to bring along a power station along in the bag with you. The duel GPU's will offer one hell of kick on that laptop too.

Acez626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Acez626

@groowagon said:

yeah 750M is not that great for gaming, but you can run all those games. DayZ propably on med. then again, DayZ is far from optimized at the moment and it's pretty CPU-heavy, and the CPU in that laptop is pretty good.

it sure is a sleek looking laptop.

here you can see how well 750M performs with games (roll down the page):

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-750M.90245.0.html

you basicly want to have +40 fps for smooth gaming. seems like you could even play BF4 with it :)

Hmm seems like I would like something with a bit more power

@ribstaylor1 said:

You could get a lenovo idea pad. If you live in the states you can often find duel 750m versions for that price. The only thing that isn't the best on them is the battery it's about 3 hours with duel GPU's. Though you could like my friend buy yourself a battery station. It's about the size of an external harddrive and carries about 9hrs of charge for the laptop and any other device you want to connect it too.

Here's a link to a ideapad from lenovo link. If it is the route you go do some searching all ways better deals somewhere. The battery is for sure a turn off but like I said it's not hard to bring along a power station along in the bag with you. The duel GPU's will offer one hell of kick on that laptop too.

How much do these batterys cost? and does it make the laptop more bulky?

got a link to any? thanks :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

then i guess you should go with that 755M SLI Lenovo laptop. it's much more powerful and the price is pretty sweet too.

Acez626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Acez626

@groowagon said:

then i guess you should go with that 755M SLI Lenovo laptop. it's much more powerful and the price is pretty sweet too.

What is really turning me off is the battery life...

I plan on presenting clients certain slides/information on this laptop...therefore really dont want the laptop battery to be an issue

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ribstaylor1

Ya most laptops with duel GPU's drain it like crazy. And those external power chargers only cost around 100 for a good one and they are about the size of a portable harddrive. It's a hard choice to make at that price point, power or battery time. It wouldn't be hard to make the laptop run of the integrated intel graphics essentially turning off the GPU's for days when you wish to do business and keep a decent battery life.

Acez626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Acez626

@ribstaylor1 said:

Ya most laptops with duel GPU's drain it like crazy. And those external power chargers only cost around 100 for a good one. It's a hard choice to make at that price point, power or battery time. It wouldn't be hard to make the laptop run of the integrated intel graphics essentially turning off the GPU's for days when you wish to do business and keep a decent battery life.

wow that seems like the answer to my problems lol

How difficult is it to turn off the gpu and let it run on the integrated gpu?

also got any links to the power chargers? thanks :)

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@Acez626 said:

@ribstaylor1 said:

Ya most laptops with duel GPU's drain it like crazy. And those external power chargers only cost around 100 for a good one. It's a hard choice to make at that price point, power or battery time. It wouldn't be hard to make the laptop run of the integrated intel graphics essentially turning off the GPU's for days when you wish to do business and keep a decent battery life.

I'm not 100% sure but I think they come with a power save mode that auto switches your system too the intel graphics. Now how that fully effects your system if you wish to be doing slide shows etc.. I'm not sure. If not it should be as simple as going into your nvidia control panel and switching them too off and your intel on. And I don't really know enough about the batteries to offer an opinion on kind though so sorry but. If your willing to do some reading on how to switch back and forth between the two as I know it really isn't too hard, then the lenovo ideapad isn't a bad choice.

Just found this it might be of help explains how to do it. link

I'm reading when using the integrated intel you get around 6hrs compared to 3h. You add a battery charger in case of low battery and your set.

Acez626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Acez626

@ribstaylor1 said:

@Acez626 said:

@ribstaylor1 said:

I'm not 100% sure but I think they come with a power save mode that auto switches your system too the intel graphics. Now how that fully effects your system if you wish to be doing slide shows etc.. I'm not sure. If not it should be as simple as going into your nvidia control panel and switching them too off and your intel on. And I don't really know enough about the batteries to offer an opinion on kind though so sorry but. If your willing to do some reading on how to switch back and forth between the two as I know it really isn't too hard, then the lenovo ideapad isn't a bad choice.

Just found this it might be of help explains how to do it. link

I'm reading when using the integrated intel you get around 6hrs compared to 3h. You add a battery charger in case of low battery and your set.

I just called their tech support, and as you could have guessed the guy I spoke to only knew very little info

He stated how their is options on the laptop where it goes into "power saving" mode, but didnt know if that meant it is only using the integrated intel and not the dedicated gfx

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ribstaylor1

The link I provided is your solution. And don't use tech support.... Honestly they are given a check list of things to go through they don't know anything. If you ever need help with computer tomshardware.com is where you go. In fact if you go to them with this I'm sure you'll get a hell of a lot better help then tech support. Hell even searching their forums you'll find all sorts of info on what you need I know I do all the time. Just follow the instructions in the link if you go the ideapad y510p route. For the price you wont get a stronger laptop then one of those. Make sure you do some looking around though, The one I linked isn't a bad version or a bad price but you never know, you might find it cheaper or a better version for the same price.

Acez626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Acez626

@ribstaylor1 said:

The link I provided is your solution. And don't use tech support.... Honestly they are given a check list of things to go through they don't know anything. If you ever need help with computer tomshardware.com is where you go. In fact if you go to them with this I'm sure you'll get a hell of a lot better help then tech support. Hell even searching their forums you'll find all sorts of info on what you need I know I do all the time. Just follow the instructions in the link if you go the ideapad y510p route. For the price you wont get a stronger laptop then one of those. Make sure you do some looking around though, The one I linked isn't a bad version or a bad price but you never know, you might find it cheaper or a better version for the same price.

Got it!

Thanks a lot man, appreciate it

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Acez626 said:

What about this

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/?iPromoID=bannerY510p&

Get it! Do it! (SLI)

Acez626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Acez626

@PredatorRules said:

@Acez626 said:

What about this

Get it! Do it! (SLI)

Man ive been so tempted to, Its the battery life thats holding me back right now

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GeryGo  Moderator

@Acez626 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@Acez626 said:

What about this

Get it! Do it! (SLI)

Man ive been so tempted to, Its the battery life thats holding me back right now

You can't get a stronger battery life than a 6-8 hours, specially if it's gaming it'll consume it way faster (2 hours max)

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Man, Lenovo has some great prices.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

A friend has the Lenovo Y510p, it's a good machine but battery life is poor, he gets like 3 hours on power saver mode.

You're unlikely to find a laptop that's at all good for gaming with a useable battery life.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If you're going to game on a laptop, more than likely you'll be somewhere where there's AC power available.

Acez626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Acez626

I just found out about the New asus series thats going to be launched

The Asus N550JK which is coming out in June, its going to feature the new GTX850m GPU, which according to Nivida is amazing for battery saving

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

I've got the 510p (only 1 gpu), and its very nice powerwise for the price, especially if you don't mind dropping resolution. However, you should be aware that the keyboard keys are red on the side. It's unnoticeable most of the time but when you start the computer or wake it from sleep mode the keyboard glows red for a few seconds. You may find that objectionable if your going to use it for presentations, though there may be a way to shut it off. Also, if you "sleep" the laptop by folding down the screen, it can, at least on default settings, completely drain a full battery in a day or less. Both those quirks may be adjustable with windows or bios settings, though.

As the above poster stated, Nvidia's upcoming Maxwell gpus have great power savings. They may end up being beyond your budget for a while, though.

Edit: The above poster was you, TC. If you don't mind waiting for maxwell, you would probably be happy with the extra gaming prowess and power savings.

Acez626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Acez626

@Postosuchus said:

I've got the 510p (only 1 gpu), and its very nice powerwise for the price, especially if you don't mind dropping resolution. However, you should be aware that the keyboard keys are red on the side. It's unnoticeable most of the time but when you start the computer or wake it from sleep mode the keyboard glows red for a few seconds. You may find that objectionable if your going to use it for presentations, though there may be a way to shut it off. Also, if you "sleep" the laptop by folding down the screen, it can, at least on default settings, completely drain a full battery in a day or less. Both those quirks may be adjustable with windows or bios settings, though.

As the above poster stated, Nvidia's upcoming Maxwell gpus have great power savings. They may end up being beyond your budget for a while, though.

Edit: The above poster was you, TC. If you don't mind waiting for maxwell, you would probably be happy with the extra gaming prowess and power savings.

From what I read, its only 1,099

Not much more expensive then the ones we mentioned in here

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GeryGo  Moderator

@Acez626 said:

I just found out about the New asus series thats going to be launched

The Asus N550JK which is coming out in June, its going to feature the new GTX850m GPU, which according to Nivida is amazing for battery saving

That battery saving is going to be for lower graphics games or for older titles.