Is There a Way to Play Nintendo 64 Games On a PC Without Emulators that's LEGAL?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Dyingpie (6 posts) -
Hi so I really want to play my old Nintendo 64 games on my PC because my Nintendo 64 just stopped working and what I was wondering is if there is a way to purchase/play the Nintendo 64 games on a PC while still being legal? Like what I was thinking was that if there was a way to use the old cartridges and play them that way, like an adapter of some sort or any other way? Thanks! (Sorry if this is in the wrong category but I tried to find the right one and I'm a n00b and couldn't find it)
#2 Posted by KHAndAnime (13275 posts) -
I don't think so... Not sure why you're so concerned with the legality aspect of emulation. I can't recommend it on this forum, but..
#3 Posted by Dyingpie (6 posts) -
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]I don't think so... Not sure why you're so concerned with the legality aspect of emulation. I can't recommend it on this forum, but..

Well my family has already been warned by verizon to not do any torrents or stuff and I don't wanna be the one who makes my parents pay thousands of dollars.
#4 Posted by Bieberfan147 (68 posts) -
lol skurd
#5 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

You could always do what most people, ignore the law since it's the most sensible (and only) option.

Enjoy the N64 games!

:lol:

Edit: Oh shit just saw that post, you must really be getting your fair share of torrents to get warned by verizon...well done.

#6 Posted by rmfd341 (3808 posts) -
[QUOTE="Dyingpie"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]I don't think so... Not sure why you're so concerned with the legality aspect of emulation. I can't recommend it on this forum, but..

Well my family has already been warned by verizon to not do any torrents or stuff and I don't wanna be the one who makes my parents pay thousands of dollars.

HAHAHAHA, holy. Where do you live?
#7 Posted by Mcspanky37 (1695 posts) -
[QUOTE="Dyingpie"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]I don't think so... Not sure why you're so concerned with the legality aspect of emulation. I can't recommend it on this forum, but..

You don't need torrents ;)
#8 Posted by Treflis (11418 posts) -
No. Best bet is to scour Amazon or E-bay for a Nintendo 64 in good condition and at a reasonable price.
#9 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Legaly?

No.

You have to either buy a new (or used) N64 or re-buy them on Nintendo's own Virtual Console.

But you wouldn'tt exactly commit a crime against humanity if you downloaded those old games from a discontinued console...

#10 Posted by Whiteblade999 (5536 posts) -

Yes there is actually, but it involves taking a base emulator and somehow ripping your physical games to the computer. Other then that, no.

#11 Posted by Grimlim (836 posts) -

I was under the impression that emulators are legal, but getting the ROM is not legal. However, if you own the game you are legally allowed to create your own ROM of it. (idk a whole lot about the technical side). But in theory if you own the game, using an emulator/rom is not illegal. Distributing the software is illegal.

Again not exactly sure. But you could just be like "yo dawg i own the game"

#12 Posted by SAGE_OF_FIRE (15587 posts) -
You'd need to use an emulator (which is legal).
#13 Posted by ampiva (1246 posts) -
Emulators are legal. Playing a backup copy of your games is also legal.
#14 Posted by Lucianu (9309 posts) -

I was under the impression that emulators are legal, but getting the ROM is not legal. However, if you own the game you are legally allowed to create your own ROM of it. (idk a whole lot about the technical side). But in theory if you own the game, using an emulator/rom is not illegal. Distributing the software is illegal.

Again not exactly sure. But you could just be like "yo dawg i own the game"

Grimlim

There's nothing complicated about it. Playing the game on your computer trough a emulator is completely legal. Pirating the game off the net is illegal. That's it.

For example, i have a original CD of Tekken 3, bought off amazon. I can use a emulator to play it on my PC, all i need to do is put that CD into my DVD/CD drive, and start the emulator. That's it, and it is completely legal.

But i have no idea if ripping the BIOS is legal or not.. And unfortunately, you'll need the PS1 BIOS to play that CD of Tekken 3. 

#15 Posted by kriggy (845 posts) -

Playing N64 games on a keyboard is like having intercourse with a condom...

#16 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
Emulators are legal. Playing a backup copy of your games is also legal.ampiva
This^

Playing N64 games on a keyboard is like having intercourse with a condom...

kriggy
You can always plug in a controller. And...a controller that's better than the N64 controller, 2 birds with one stone :P
#17 Posted by kraken2109 (12963 posts) -

If you own the games it's legal.

#18 Posted by Dyingpie (6 posts) -
Are you guys sure that using ROMS are legal if you have the game? Ive read that its not..
#19 Posted by KnightSkull (1698 posts) -

You can play a ROM if YOU make a backup from YOUR game.

You can NOT download a ROM someone else has made, even if you have the game.

Downloading ROMs in any way is illegle.

Making backups of your own games and playing them is fine.

#21 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6178 posts) -

Retrode is what your looking for but its only for snes and genesis they are working on releasing an n64 adapter among others but they haven't released it yet until they do there is no completly legal method for playing n64 games on emulators on pc.  Disk based systems have always been easier ripping ps1 and ps2 games for emulator use is very easy as any dvd drive will do and with the correct dvd drive so is wii and gamecube.

#22 Posted by Dyingpie (6 posts) -

KnightSkull
How would I go about making a backup? I know I need to get all of the data from the cartidge onto a cd/dvd and use an emulator but how do i get all the data off of it?
#23 Posted by Dyingpie (6 posts) -

Retrode is what your looking for but its only for snes and genesis they are working on releasing an n64 adapter among others but they haven't released it yet until they do there is no completly legal method for playing n64 games on emulators on pc.  Disk based systems have always been easier ripping ps1 and ps2 games for emulator use is very easy as any dvd drive will do and with the correct dvd drive so is wii and gamecube.

DJ_Headshot
I looked on the website and it says they have one for the N64 :D! Thank you!!
#24 Posted by wazzap76 (290 posts) -

Verizon warned you? How much downloading were you all ready doing to get them to warn you of possible legal action against you? Or did they just get tghe interent and they warned you not to? If that's the case who the hell cares pirate away if you want.

#25 Posted by Dyingpie (6 posts) -

Verizon warned you? How much downloading were you all ready doing to get them to warn you of possible legal action against you? Or did they just get tghe interent and they warned you not to? If that's the case who the hell cares pirate away if you want.

wazzap76
My brothers downloaded the stuff like every day...
#26 Posted by Planeforger (15454 posts) -

KnightSkull
Then again, backing up the games won't be legal if you have to bypass copyright protection measures to do that. Plus I think Nintendo have argued that 'playing on a Nintendo system' is in itself a copyright protection measure, so it's possible that all backups are illegal. In any case, it also sounds wrong that you'll be able to play your backup copy. Surely, once you start using it for purposes other than merely backing it up (storage/protd c tion), it ceases to be a backup copy and thus violates copyright law? So my general answer would be: it's probably illegal to do whatever you want to do with it, and if you already own all of the N64 games that you want to play, why not simply pick up an N64 console instead?
#27 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7270 posts) -

Oh yeah stop sharing files... don't seed.

#28 Posted by way2funny (4569 posts) -

Pretty sure if you own a physical copy of the game, then getting a ROM for that game is legal

#29 Posted by KnightSkull (1698 posts) -

Then again, backing up the games won't be legal if you have to bypass copyright protection measures to do that. Plus I think Nintendo have argued that 'playing on a Nintendo system' is in itself a copyright protection measure, so it's possible that all backups are illegal. In any case, it also sounds wrong that you'll be able to play your backup copy. Surely, once you start using it for purposes other than merely backing it up (storage/protd c tion), it ceases to be a backup copy and thus violates copyright law? So my general answer would be: it's probably illegal to do whatever you want to do with it, and if you already own all of the N64 games that you want to play, why not simply pick up an N64 console instead?Planeforger

I wont pretend I know the ins and outs of what is legal and what isn't concerning the making and playing of back-ups of games you have purchased (as there are so many things that change the legality of it). What I do know is you can do whatever you want with the copy you brought, including making a personal back-up, as long as you don't intend to make multiple copies, share or sell said back-ups. However if you do make a back-up you void the warranty and if something happens to the game, or even your computer, it's down to you to fix it yourself.

Copyright law is to prevent someone from sharing, selling or passing off something as your own work when it isn't. For instence, it is legal to scan a book you have purchased to read it at your leisure, but it is illegal to share it with others in any way. Again there are many things that can shange the legality of it, but that is a basic example of what you can and can't do with copyrighted items.

Pretty sure if you own a physical copy of the game, then getting a ROM for that game is legal

way2funny

No it's not.

As I said before, you can make your own back-ups but getting a ROM someone else has made is very much illegle as that comes under sharing copyrighted material.

#30 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -

KnightSkull
You're probably right, but that's kinda stupid. When you buy a game you're buying the right to use the software, the ROMs you download are the exact same software you bought. It's like saying it's illegal to play my friends copy of a game that I also bought.
#31 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Are you guys sure that using ROMS are legal if you have the game? Ive read that its not..Dyingpie

I think the answers you look for are located here:

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp

Playing games on unauthorized hardware with unauthorized software should ring a bell...

#32 Posted by yummifullz (139 posts) -

[QUOTE="wazzap76"]

Dyingpie

My brothers downloaded the stuff like every day...

Verizon isn't going to say shit to u for downloading things everyday, if they did it's b/c either the particular associate has a personal bias against torrents and likes to warn customers or you live in a small area where you seem to be the most active torrent user, unless you're talking about kiddie pr0n & bomb schematics then they would have a good reason to warn you.

lol my cousin d/l's thousands of gig's of pirated stuff weekly, and if Verizon did say something to u don't take it lightly b/c the FBI are the ones u rly need to be worried about, Verizon would only be concerned about your downloading if they had the FBI on their backs.

#33 Posted by BrunoBRS (73259 posts) -
well technically, if you own the game and the system, emulating it shouldn't be an issue.
#34 Posted by KnightSkull (1698 posts) -

[QUOTE="KnightSkull"]

Dudersaper

You're probably right, but that's kinda stupid. When you buy a game you're buying the right to use the software, the ROMs you download are the exact same software you bought. It's like saying it's illegal to play my friends copy of a game that I also bought.

When you buy a game you buy the right to use the software on that cartridge, disk or whatever.

Because you don't buy the copyright of the game you can only use the software on that cartridge/disk from which you purchased.

You can't download software made from another cartridge/disk as you didn't buy the right to play that software and will come under sharing copyrighted material, which is, as we all know, illegal.

I know it can be confusing and at times gives me a headache just thinking about it :P

#35 Posted by BrunoBRS (73259 posts) -

[QUOTE="Dudersaper"][QUOTE="KnightSkull"]

KnightSkull

When you buy a game you buy the right to use the software on that cartridge, disk or whatever.

Because you don't buy the copyright of the game you can only use the software on that cartridge/disk from which you purchased.

You can't download software made from another cartridge/disk as you didn't buy the right to play that software and will come under sharing copyrighted material, which is, as we all know, illegal.

I know it can be confusing and at times gives me a headache just thinking about it :P

what about digital format? i get the right to install the game wherever i feel like, as many times as i want to, so why is it different for physical media?
#36 Posted by KnightSkull (1698 posts) -

[QUOTE="KnightSkull"]

[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]You're probably right, but that's kinda stupid. When you buy a game you're buying the right to use the software, the ROMs you download are the exact same software you bought. It's like saying it's illegal to play my friends copy of a game that I also bought.BrunoBRS

what about digital format? i get the right to install the game wherever i feel like, as many times as i want to, so why is it different for physical media?

It's not all that different really.

When you buy digital goods you buy the right to download and use the software from the digital distributor from which you purchased the digital goods from (or from a 3rd party program that is needed to use the digital goods, ie Steam).

You do not have the right to buy digital goods from 1 place and then go download it from another place (maybe because you don't want DRM) that someone has made avilable for free, as that still comes under sharing copyrighted material.