Is the VRAM requirement for Shadows of Mordor bs?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I have a 7870 with 2 gigs of VRAM, that can play the game at medium texture settings. That is worse then the PS4 version from what I have seen. Is requiring 3 gigs of ram for high textures bs? Should I just play it on PS4 to be safe?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I have a 980GTX EVGA SC and play the game at max settings. In the benchmark my lowest FPS is 50 while my avg is about 77. In game I haven't seen a single stutter yet. If I lower the texture settings to High, I get 82 FPS. Game looks amazing btw. Gameplay not the best tho.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

all the reports ive seen, people are maxing it with 2gb vram. It is indeed bologna

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JangoWuzHere

@wis3boi said:

all the reports ive seen, people are maxing it with 2gb vram. It is indeed bologna

Is it? I want to make sure. I absolutely hate stuttering, I would rather have bad framerate then constant hitching and freezing

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23824 Posts

I have a GTX 760 and I have everything on ultra besides textures on high and average 60+ fps at 1080p. My average vram usage is 2008mb or under. Now the minimums can differ from one test to another, but in game haven't seen less then 55 fps so far

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@04dcarraher: The benchmark will tell you absolutely nothing about the game performance, the benchmark is completely broken.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By 04dcarraher

@saintsatan said:

@04dcarraher: The benchmark will tell you absolutely nothing about the game performance, the benchmark is completely broken.

Yet my fps ingame has been 60+ average, so why would you think its broken?

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GameFan1983
Member since 2004 • 2189 Posts

-6G Vram requirement is BS, evidently 4G Vram on a high end card is capable to have the full maxed out experience at 1080p(read from various benchmark scores from different users from other sites, my GPUs are 8G so I wouldn't know)

-you will need at least 8G RAM(speed 1366 or above) to run the game smoothly.

-on medium you won't get anything close to PS4's visual quality

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 04dcarraher

@GameFan1983 said:

-6G Vram requirement is BS, evidently 4G Vram on a high end card is capable to have the full maxed out experience at 1080p(read from various benchmark scores from different users from other sites, my GPUs are 8G so I wouldn't know)

The PS4 does not run all the bells and whistles

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GameFan1983

@04dcarraher said:

@GameFan1983 said:

so far 1 hrs into both version (ultra on PC of course) graphics are closely matched in all small details. I've seen both version on the same monitor, my guess is you probably haven't. but put PC setting to medium(something I almost never bothered) you almost have a different game, 360/ps3 version maybe.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Game looks amazing btw. Gameplay not the best tho.

Quite opposite IMO

@JangoWuzHere said:

I have a 7870 with 2 gigs of VRAM, that can play the game at medium texture settings. That is worse then the PS4 version from what I have seen. Is requiring 3 gigs of ram for high textures bs? Should I just play it on PS4 to be safe?

I play at 50fps average on high, I did the same with ultra + HD textures pack and there's no change what so ever. So to the question is it BS - yes.

@04dcarraher said:

I have a GTX 760 and I have everything on ultra besides textures on high and average 60+ fps at 1080p. My average vram usage is 2008mb or under. Now the minimums can differ from one test to another, but in game haven't seen less then 55 fps so far

Wow, I guess it's optimized better for Nvidia as the logo says "the way it was meant to play" XD

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Make sure you have the HD texture pack actually installed. Ultra without it is just High

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 04dcarraher

@GameFan1983 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@GameFan1983 said:

so far 1 hrs into both version (ultra on PC of course) graphics are closely matched in all small details. I've seen both version on the same monitor, my guess is you probably haven't. but put PC setting to medium(something I almost never bothered) you almost have a different game, 360/ps3 version maybe.

I know PS4 does not run tessellation, nor does run AO at same quality, But they do run the high texture settings, but you do not need 4gb to run ultra with high texture settings.

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GameFan1983
@04dcarraher said:

@GameFan1983 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@GameFan1983 said:

I know PS4 does not run tessellation, nor does run AO at same quality, But they do run the high texture settings, but you do not need 4gb to run ultra with high texture settings.

Based on your imagination? Tessellation made few appearance in either version, wheres I see on PC, there is on PS4 version, AO quality? lol!, I doubt most gamers even understand what AO is or how this algorithms works in 3D let along talk about the "same quality", especially when a person never see it on the neither version in highest setting.(AO seem to be especially demanding in this game) When did I say "high" setting? I only said highest setting, meaning ultra. (Texture from high and ultra is hard to spot in most cases)

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@04dcarraher: Read the Steam forums.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JangoWuzHere

@GameFan1983 said:

I have an SSD and 16 gigs of ram DDR3 2133

Do you think that will compensate for the lack of VRAM?

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

No it's not.

The game runs like absolute shit on my 680s(2GB).Benchmark runs great but ingame it's unplayable even on medium. Inexplicable frame rate drops(sometimes as low as 10FPS) and crazy stuttering/lag.

Another pathetic PC port.What a disgrace.....

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

I have a 980GTX EVGA SC and play the game at max settings. In the benchmark my lowest FPS is 50 while my avg is about 77. In game I haven't seen a single stutter yet. If I lower the texture settings to High, I get 82 FPS. Game looks amazing btw. Gameplay not the best tho.

What resolution did you run the benchmark at?

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GameFan1983

@JangoWuzHere said:

@GameFan1983 said:

Sounds good, 4G ram is what required to play ultra flawlessly, one of my co-er playing this game on the same video card you have on high setting and yields good result, I don't think this game is very demanding on CPU either. so, you should have no problem handling everything on high.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@RyviusARC said:

@KHAndAnime said:

What resolution did you run the benchmark at?

I run it at 1200P. Using my current card OC settings (modest 112% power target), I get 82 FPS avg with Ultra Textures on the benchmark. Quite the looker. Game runs very well, loads very fast even from my ol' HDD. Haven't seen the game ever stutter once, which is better than I can say for a other open world games I've played (Watch Dogs).

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JangoWuzHere

@GameFan1983 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@GameFan1983 said:

Sounds good, 4G ram is what required to play ultra flawlessly, one of my co-er playing this game on the same video card you have on high setting and yields good result, I don't think this game is very demanding on CPU either. so, you should have no problem handling everything on high.

Okay thanks, I'll buy it in a day or two and try it out.

GabranthXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GabranthXIII
Member since 2008 • 996 Posts

Works fine with my 3GB 780 ti. But holy hell does it eat ram, I only have 8GB and I had to close background programs just to get into game. Maybe it's time to get 2x8gb ram.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By 04dcarraher

@ShepardCommandr said:

No it's not.

The game runs like absolute shit on my 680s(2GB).Benchmark runs great but ingame it's unplayable even on medium. Inexplicable frame rate drops(sometimes as low as 10FPS) and crazy stuttering/lag.

Another pathetic PC port.What a disgrace.....

very weird, have you tried running just one card?

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

I made a little search and reports all over the web are saying that for Ultra you need 4GB VRAM.

GPUs with 3GB VRAM have spikes at max settings while a GTX970 destroys the game with 73 FPS avg at max settings.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Coseniath said:

I made a little search and reports all over the web are saying that for Ultra you need 4GB VRAM.

GPUs with 3GB VRAM have spikes at max settings while a GTX970 destroys the game with 73 FPS avg at max settings.

Not even.

People are running ULTRA on a 2GB Video Card... (i7 - 16GB RAM)

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Runs good for me maxed out with 4gb of vram and 1.5x super sampling.

It does fill up all 4 gigs of vram though.

mixedplanet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mixedplanet
Member since 2005 • 1215 Posts

I have the 780 Ti 3GB

Ultra textures, and everything maximum in 1080p. The game runs very smooth uptil the Vram requirements jump over 3 gigs. It gets massive stutters in some places. Otherwise 90% of the time the Vram hovers around 2.8 GBs and the game is smooth. I don't think the "Ultra Texture" is all that amazing to warrant such expensive requirement.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

i've got it running on ultra with my gtx780 ftw 3gb... it says i should have 6gb but i only notice an fps drop right when loading up or right after a fast travel or something.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Coseniath
@FelipeInside said:

@Coseniath said:

Not even.

Thats what people report all over the web. Even in this thread most people with 3GB VRAM reporting stutters.

I think the most wise is to wait for a good review from good hardware sites (like Guru3D's Crysis 3 VRAM analysis) and see...

ps: You sig tells of 32GB RAM. What happened to the other 16GB? Did they cause compatibility problems and you removed them?

edit: LOL I found this funny pic xD

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

So... A 4GB 770 should more or less max it out?

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts

annoyingly this is one on those games that ignores the other half of my GTX 590 so i can't run the game with good graphics.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Coseniath said:
@FelipeInside said:

@Coseniath said:

Not even.

Thats what people report all over the web. Even in this thread most people with 3GB VRAM reporting stutters.

I think the most wise is to wait for a good review from good hardware sites (like Guru3D's Crysis 3 VRAM analysis) and see...

ps: You sig tells of 32GB RAM. What happened to the other 16GB? Did they cause compatibility problems and you removed them?

edit: LOL I found this funny pic xD

Not me, I haven't played it (it isn't out yet here in Australia).

Just from what I've read there are people with 2GB cards playing it on ultra without problems.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

I have a 4GB VRAM card and I do notice stutters but they're rare and usually occur when I travel to a wide open area. The game runs silky smooth the rest of the time.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JangoWuzHere

Bought the game and started playing today.

Runs at 60fps at high settings with a 7870 and i5 2500k:)

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By 04dcarraher

@JangoWuzHere said:

See nothing to worry about

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

@JangoWuzHere:

It's just a way of creating hype.

awax187187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By awax187187
Member since 2005 • 277 Posts

@ShepardCommandr:

Make sure you select force alternate frame rendering 2, I had same problem now runs fine. I have sli 670 2gb

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

Oh good. I was waiting for some AMD responses. :)

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Has anyone done a frame times analysis yet?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

I have to turn a few settings down on my 780 Ti to stop it stuttering.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Coseniath
@Postmortem123 said:

Wow. If someone with i7 4770k, 780Ti and Crucial MX100 512GB RAID 0 (I guess 8 or 16GB RAM as well), have stuttering issues then I guess the game really needs more than 3GB VRAM.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts
@Coseniath said:
@Postmortem123 said:

Wow. If someone with i7 4770k, 780Ti and Crucial MX100 512GB RAID 0 (I guess 8 or 16GB RAM as well), have stuttering issues then I guess the game really needs more than 3GB VRAM.

What we need is a good frame time analysis and stop following people's subjective appreciations.

LOL, a lot of reviewers were saying that the PS4 version was 30+fps for sure when compared to the XBONE version and in the end both are solid 30fps capped and also with solid frame times.

Sadly even Digital Foundry skipped showing this test on PC version. :(

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Coseniath
@glez13 said:

What we need is a good frame time analysis and stop following people's subjective appreciations.

LOL, a lot of reviewers were saying that the PS4 version was 30+fps for sure when compared to the XBONE version and in the end both are solid 30fps capped and also with solid frame times.

Sadly even Digital Foundry skipped showing this test on PC version. :(

Yeah. Half of the hardware sites do a frame time analysis nowadays. Even saying the minimum FPS a tested card can reach is a plus.

But for this game, I mostly expect to see something like this: Guru3D's Crysis 3 VRAM analysis over settings.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Using a gtx 770 4gb clocked atr 1.14ghz and I'm running the game at 1440p downsampled to 90% at full settings including the hd texture pack. I average 42fps and the lowest dip in the benchmark was a 28 but for the majority it generally hovers around 40. I've played the game for hours and even in the most intense graphical moments I don't notice any major issues so no complaints from me.

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

@Coseniath: Hey bro , I just got shadow of mordor , and the weird thing the game varies between 60 fps and 30 fps its like its locked 30 fps ? why is that ? is it cause of v sync ? i m so disappointing :( WHY ?

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Coseniath
@Jawad2007 said:

@Coseniath: Hey bro , I just got shadow of mordor , and the weird thing the game varies between 60 fps and 30 fps its like its locked 30 fps ? why is that ? is it cause of v sync ? i m so disappointing :( WHY ?

There are reports of 30FPS lock problem all over the web, the game seems to be frame locked while using V-sync or while just being at full screen.

It seems to me that the devs made such a bad port, they didn't even bother to remove 30FPS lock from consoles (they both play the game at 30FPS lock) completely.

Don't worry I believe since there are so many complains (on steam community also) they will fix it sooner or later...

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Alucrd2009

@Coseniath: thanks bro i found a solution just turned on triple buffering , now its 60 all the time :) . but its really demanding game for v ram , my 4 gb is full . what the hell!

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Coseniath

@Jawad2007: Your 4GB VRAM is full? What resolution are you using?

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Alucrd2009

@Coseniath: Look

my ress = 1920x1080