Is SWTOR Free-to-play mode will improve or become better?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GamerLegendx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GamerLegendx
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I mean now, the free-to-play suck. I played a lot but when you reach level 34 its so difficult that you just want to leave the game. My question is, is this going to be better. I mean, the running fast at level 1, the good stuff for equip, unlimited pvp, races and all that..
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#2 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
[QUOTE="GamerLegendx"]I mean now, the free-to-play suck. I played a lot but when you reach level 34 its so difficult that you just want to leave the game. My question is, is this going to be better. I mean, the running fast at level 1, the good stuff for equip, unlimited pvp, races and all that..

My guess would be no.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts

I only played as a preferred member. It isn't so bad if you want to play the storyline from 1-50 with some WZ's/FP's thrown in once in awhile. Only thing that bugged me was the 2 crafting skills limit and the GTN limits is really low. But that's workable.

F2P looks virtually unplayable with the quickbar limit.

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

I only played as a preferred member. It isn't so bad if you want to play the storyline from 1-50 with some WZ's/FP's thrown in once in awhile. Only thing that bugged me was the 2 crafting skills limit and the GTN limits is really low. But that's workable.

Im_single
Yeah, I don't see how people can just put up with just 2 quick bars. It's fine at the lower levels when you don't have that many abilities, but getting to 35+ I can only imagine it being a real frustration to deal with. I'm sure plenty of people cave by that point if they still enjoy the game and pay to get to preferred or become a subscriber.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Im_single
It ain't, not everyone needs 46 bars all over the screen. The F2P model is meant for casual play, for people that just want to do the story mode and experience a bit of the flashpoints etc. If you want to dedicate hardcore time to SWTOR, obviously you need to pay. I don't understand why people don't get this.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 vfibsux

I know you have been  a vocal fan of this game Felip but come on, you have to admit it is one of the more restrictive MMO f2p models out there.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

I know you have been  a vocal fan of this game Felip but come on, you have to admit it is one of the more restrictive MMO f2p models out there.

vfibsux
And i agree, but im speaking from playing BOTH models and the F2P version is fine for casual play. If u actually look,at it, the free version is for players that don't have too much time to dedicate to it, so you get full play of the world with limited functionality. You want more? Heck, u still don't need to,subscribe, u can just purchase what you want. You want the whole thing, then you just sub. Its like 3 models in one. I personally see more and more MMOs doing this system.
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

I have a lvl50 and a lvl40 character and on another account lvl22 and lvl26. You can buy unlocks for most stuff on GTN.

I don't intend to give a dime to EAware but it's not that bad

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
[QUOTE="GamerLegendx"]I mean now, the free-to-play suck. I played a lot but when you reach level 34 its so difficult that you just want to leave the game. My question is, is this going to be better. I mean, the running fast at level 1, the good stuff for equip, unlimited pvp, races and all that..

No it wont, I suppose you expect the entire game for free? You enjoyed the game for free all the way up to 34, so perhaps its time to actually spend some money on it?
ciorlandenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 ciorlandenis
Member since 2012 • 322 Posts

just 2 action bars... srsly that is just a cruel thing to do, i'd rather have -50% xp

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

just 2 action bars... srsly that is just a cruel thing to do, i'd rather have -50% xp

ciorlandenis

You get 2 action bars AND -25% xp

You can buy quickbars from GTN

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 vfibsux

[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

FelipeInside

And i agree, but im speaking from playing BOTH models and the F2P version is fine for casual play. If u actually look,at it, the free version is for players that don't have too much time to dedicate to it, so you get full play of the world with limited functionality. You want more? Heck, u still don't need to,subscribe, u can just purchase what you want. You want the whole thing, then you just sub. Its like 3 models in one. I personally see more and more MMOs doing this system.

Can you name them? Because the ones I have seen go f2p lately, NWO and Tera for example, give you full access to the game. Cash shops in those two merely enhance your gameplay.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 vfibsux

[QUOTE="ciorlandenis"]

Darth_Kane

Sorry, but having to buy action bars, something that comes with every UI in every game, is absurd. The fact they are making double the revenue now is amazing to me, basically it shows how easily people are suckered. If you were not willing to pay a sub but are willing to buy quickbars.....lol. I don't get it.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

[QUOTE="ciorlandenis"]

vfibsux

Sorry, but having to buy action bars, something that comes with every UI in every game, is absurd. The fact they are making double the revenue now is amazing to me, basically it shows how easily people are suckered. If you were not willing to pay a sub but are willing to buy quickbars.....lol. I don't get it.

Why do you think that everyone on the planet thinks like you?

You make a huge fuss about an action bar limit, while some other players probably don't care.  Don't you get that?

The game is playable fine for a casual gamer with the F2P model, if that casual player wants more then he can buy additional things from the store, if that player wants the whole thing, he can sub.

Ever thought that a player might want to play for a month, but then stop?   You have to understand that that's how gamers work these days with MMOs, they move from MMO to MMO and back.  (Not all of them of course)

I understand it's one of the more "tighter" F2P models, but it's not the end of the universe as everyone here makes it out to be.

Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

[QUOTE="ciorlandenis"]

vfibsux

I would guess that most of their money is coming from subscribers that are also buying from the cartel market. It would really be interesting to see who spends most of their money on the cartel market.
mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts

[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

FelipeInside

You make a huge fuss about an action bar limit, while some other players probably don't care.  Don't you get that?

The game is playable fine for a casual gamer with the F2P model, if that casual player wants more then he can buy additional things from the store, if that player wants the whole thing, he can sub.

Ever thought that a player might want to play for a month, but then stop?   You have to understand that that's how gamers work these days with MMOs, they move from MMO to MMO and back.  (Not all of them of course)

I understand it's one of the more "tighter" F2P models, but it's not the end of the universe as everyone here makes it out to be.

Why are you defending the acts of a corporation; whos aim is none other than to generate money. They care not for the players, "Only money" as Watto said in SW ep I
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 vfibsux

FelipeInside

1. No, I do not expect everyone to think like me. In my opinion you are being suckered if you play this as a f2p model and still pay for things like quick bars but would not play because of the sub. I will never get that and the only conclusion I have is you got played by this company.

2. Huge fuss over the action bar? Ummm, no. That was just one example of the worst free 2 play model in MMO's today.

3. I am not talking about people (the casuals as you called them) who don't mind playing through the limited gameplay without paying a dime for it.

4. This free to play model sucks, no need to be a fanboy about it, just admit it. It is okay if you still want to play it, I just think if you pay these guys for silly features that come standard with other f2p MMO's because you don't believe in subs you are fooling yourself. The fact they doubled their revenue proves this is happening to at least some extent.

Edit: 5. Gamespot, when the hell are you going to get new forums, these things have sucked for years. If I have spaces when I type it out I kind of expect them when I hit submit....

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside

^^ LOL, no need to call me a fanboy, people can have different opinions than you ya know.

I said it's probably one of the more "restrictive" F2P models out there, I agree, but like you said so yourself, the revenue has doubled with the new model. The action bar thing is probably a bit excessive, but the Cartel Market is actually pretty cool with the things they sell.

Everyone praises LOTRO for it's F2P model (me included), but does anyone ever mention that you need to spend money to unlock progression in that game? As in new areas and expansions? Yet SWTOR lets you play EVERY area all the way through but limits other things like Bank and Character Spots. Which like I've said before, is aimed at casual players who don't need the extra things or just want to try the game out.

I'll say it again, for casual playing the F2P model is fine.  If you want more you need to sub or spend a bit of cartel points. 

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 vfibsux

Didn't call you a fanboy dude, just said you were acting like one. I did not say you did not have an opinion, it is your opinion which I am disagreeing with lol. It is what it is, I think it is a crap f2p model. Games like Tera, Neverwinter and Star Trek Online are doing it right. I don't believe SWTOR is good enough a game to skimp on so much.  

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside

Didn't call you a fanboy dude, just said you were acting like one. I did not say you did not have an opinion, it is your opinion which I am disagreeing with lol. It is what it is, I think it is a crap f2p model. Games like Tera, Neverwinter and Star Trek Online are doing it right. I don't believe SWTOR is good enough a game to skimp on so much.  

vfibsux

Yeah fair enough, but those other games also have limitations, that's what my point was, and that the "restrictive" F2P model that SWTOR has isn't as restrictive as people think (as long as you understand it's for casual play).  I don't say this just off the top of my head, I've actually played with both models. 

I personally try to sub to it cause I like having lots of money (which I never end up using anyway, lol).  

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 vfibsux

Well I did try it and was pretty pissed when I saw I could only play two of my toons (among others things) despite paying their piece of **** company $70 for a game I got 2 weeks of entertainment out of. Yea my fault for being a sucker and falling for the hype though. They won't see another dime from me and the game was bad enough without limitations, I see no reason to bother playing it with them.

Rift just announced a completely f2p full game model btw.....conversative bag slot limits are the only restrictions.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FelipeInside

Well I did try it and was pretty pissed when I saw I could only play two of my toons (among others things) despite paying their piece of **** company $70 for a game I got 2 weeks of entertainment out of. Yea my fault for being a sucker and falling for the hype though. They won't see another dime from me and the game was bad enough without limitations, I see no reason to bother playing it with them.

Rift just announced a completely f2p full game model btw.....conversative bag slot limits are the only restrictions.

vfibsux

Do u even like MMOs?

And why are they a **** company? BioWare has made awesome games.

Anyway, we have gone off the golden brick road. 

TC, like I said before, for casual play the F2P model works fine.  If you want to play more you can buy additional packs or just sub.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 vfibsux

[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

FelipeInside

Do u even like MMOs?

TC, like I said before, for casual play the F2P model works fine.  If you want to play more you can buy additional packs or just sub.

You mean EA right? But if you want to give Bioware credit for this **** f2p model we can do that. Yea Felip, I hate MMOs just because I hate your precious SWTOR.....that's what this is all about, rofl. MMOs just happen to be my favorite PC genre, so much for that pathetic attempt at discrediting my opinion. You know, I see you as a good poster outside of this subject, when it comes to SWTOR you are the fanboy of fanboys. There, that time I called you a fanboy. I have one opinion here, SWTOR f2p model sucks and I said why. Pretty much can end right there, just one poster's opinion dude, your game will survive it.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

I agree with everyone about everything.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

vfibsux

Do u even like MMOs?

You mean EA right? But if you want to give Bioware credit for this **** f2p model we can do that. Yea Felip, I hate MMOs just because I hate your precious SWTOR.....that's what this is all about, rofl. MMOs just happen to be my favorite PC genre, so much for that pathetic attempt at discrediting my opinion. You know, I see you as a good poster outside of this subject, when it comes to SWTOR you are the fanboy of fanboys. There, that time I called you a fanboy. I have one opinion here, SWTOR f2p model sucks and I said why. Pretty much can end right there, just one poster's opinion dude, your game will survive it.

Dude, take a chill pill. Why is everyone always so angry and defensive on these forums. I understand sometimes it's hard to read the type of expression from text but when I asked you if you liked MMOs it wasn't a "pathetic attempt at discrediting my opinion", it was just an honest question to see if you were into that genre and therefore carry the conversation on from there. Same as when I asked you if you meant EA or BioWare. Geez.... can't even ask questions these days here without getting abused.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 vfibsux

[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

Do u even like MMOs?

FelipeInside

Dude, take a chill pill. Why is everyone always so angry and defensive on these forums. I understand sometimes it's hard to read the type of expression from text but when I asked you if you liked MMOs it wasn't a "pathetic attempt at discrediting my opinion", it was just an honest question to see if you were into that genre and therefore carry the conversation on from there. Same as when I asked you if you meant EA or BioWare. Geez.... can't even ask questions these days here without getting abused.

lol. Bro, yes text is tough to interpret mood from. If you look back at your posts it can seem as though you are trippin out as well. Just because I throw in colorful metaphors to get a emphasis across does not mean I'm here foaming at the mouth. Your posts don't look any different than mine. Tell me you don't sound all pissed off here:

"Why do you think that everyone on the planet thinks like you? You make a huge fuss about an action bar limit, while some other players probably don't care. Don't you get that?"

I'm chilled man. Trust me, you would know if I were truly pissed. This is not a topic that gets my blood boiling. If you want to talk politics you can see some real passion come out of me lol. No offense man, like I said I like you as a poster and see you as a valuable member of this forum, you just can annoy me with this one topic. My wife annoys me at times too and I am married to her, If you think you deserve more consideration than my wife does to me you need to rethink this whole internet thing ;)

Edit: My lord does anyone know how to keep this terrible forum from taking your paragraphs and lumping them all into a wall of text?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside
Does ur wife like SWTOR? LOL.....:p I use double spacing between paragraphs and sometimes it works.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

[QUOTE="ciorlandenis"]

vfibsux

Buying game content in most situations is absurd like you said. Metro LL for example, I think its absurd that you have to pre-order the game to get Ranger Mode or have to pay extra money if you don't. However, in this situation, its a game you paid money for. This game is F2P. You can't expect everything to be available for a F2P game. They have to make money somehow.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 vfibsux
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Does ur wife like SWTOR? LOL.....:p I use double spacing between paragraphs and sometimes it works.

Believe it or not she actually she tried it with me, but didn't like it either. So actually I lose more than $70 to the game lol. To be fair though she isn't into MMOs, she is into Sims. Was more of an experiment than anything.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 vfibsux

Cwagmire21

Buying game content in most situations is absurd like you said. Metro LL for example, I think its absurd that you have to pre-order the game to get Ranger Mode or have to pay extra money if you don't. However, in this situation, its a game you paid money for. This game is F2P. You can't expect everything to be available for a F2P game. They have to make money somehow.

I 100% agree with you on the f2p thing, the companies have to make money somehow. My argument is other companies have found a way to entice you to spend the money while not skimping on features you just expect to have in a game, free or otherwise. Don't call yourself a "free to play" game but then limit it to the point people feel like they have to pay to really enjoy the game. A true free to play model cash shop should enhance your gameplay, not enable what should have already been available by default. Many other f2p games have done this, Rift is the next one going 100% free next month, no strings attached. Subs and cash shop items will have enhanced gameplay on top of what everyone else gets. This is the way to go imo.