Is steam going down the shitter?

#1 Posted by uninspiredcup (8369 posts) -

Part of the reason i'v not used origin or Uplayer or Blizzards download service is the prices.

I can pick up a game for steam for £29.99. On Origin, EA attempts to sell games for £40 - £50.

Now, prices have been jumping. Before, games jumped from £29.99 to £34.99.
Then, games jumped from £34.99 to £39.99.

Now, when I log on to steam, I'm looking at 3 games on it now, sitting at £49.99.

The most recent being "The Elder Scrolls Online" which (aside from being £49.99) is also charging a sub fee of £9.

Not only that, to get all the content (the special edition) £69.99

These publishers are really starting to take the piss.

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (30038 posts) -

No.

But your threads are

#3 Edited by harry_james_pot (10795 posts) -

No.

But your threads are

I came in here to say the exact same thing.

#4 Edited by Garfield360UK (19651 posts) -

Calm it down, keep on topic or don't reply in the future please.

On topic, Steam has had some price increases in recent times (over the past year or so, maybe even longer) but I believe the publishers of the games (so in your examples, Bethesda for Elder Scrolls Online) set the prices and thus Valve put the games on the Steam store at the price requested by publishers. It is down to games costing more to make (hearing about several hundred people working on Assassins Creed for example) but this does not mean the price rises are fair or justified in all cases, but sometimes they are. It does suck, but all I can suggest is to wait it out, wait for the Game of the Year editions of games or wait for Steam sales, Humble Bundle deals, and the like. Obviously this does not help for a day one buy, but I guess there are other games to tide the time over till the other games you may want go on sale. I guess it also depends on what value proposition you use to measure your game purchases with and everybody is different and will want different things for their money (so perhaps a £10 increase in price for a game is a lot of money if you have been buying PC games for years, but on console, that tends to be the price of launch).

#5 Edited by uninspiredcup (8369 posts) -

@Garfield360UK said:
I guess it also depends on what value proposition you use to measure your game purchases with and everybody is different and will want different things for their money (so perhaps a £10 increase in price for a game is a lot of money if you have been buying PC games for years, but on console, that tends to be the price of launch).

Looking on amazon, it's £18.

http://postimg.org/image/quc29g00l/

£49/£69 (whatever edition) on steam

http://postimg.org/image/wbeiq8mrx/

It seems to me they know dam well what they are doing, a cash grab.

I remember complaining about £34.99 when it jumped up from £29.99 and I generally got shouted down with "it's the new standard" with people defending it.

Then, games are now £39.99 "it's the new standard" shouted down again.

Now, 4 games sitting on steam at £49.99.

I'm sure this shit will get defended.

#6 Posted by FelipeInside (25470 posts) -

It's definitely lost a lot of quality from past years. I love Steam cause I have all my friends on there, and a perfect world would be just one client for all games, but it's not like that so I just consider Steam another shop to buy games from.

Valve take forever to implement features though (chat font resize still not there after 15 years). Origin, which has been out 2-3 years, implemented more features than Steam in 15.

What worries me now is the amount of crap that gets approved to go through the Steam store. Quality Assurance used to be a lot higher.

As for prices, depends sometimes on what country you're from, cause of licensing etc I've seen different prices in different regions. Saying that, other clients have competitive pricing as well. I've seen quite a few good discounts on Origin, Uplay and GOG etc.

#7 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

Steam IS the Shitter.

#8 Edited by illmatic87 (15221 posts) -

In terms of prices, there's just alot more competition now and the bigger publishers have caught up with the digital service age in terms of price localization. The places I buy games now undercut steam quite abit, yet offer steam keys, so I am fine with that.

The service itself has gotten better. It's just we take the good things for granted, cherry pick the bad stuff and throw that into perspective. I dont want to go back to the days of busy download speed traffic of a silly inflated patch system, no meta activites like steam trading cards where I can make some credit off of, lack of useful tags that help me as a consumer, a very sloppy steam community feed/profile, inability to install in different locations, integrated screenshots with sharing, gifting, a more robust user review (still not perfect - needs a sort by date), increased security through steam-guard, cloud saving, widespread steam workshop and I love big picture mode. And honestly, Early Access has done more good so far than it has ever harmed - consumers and journalism will eventually adapt to the system.

If there is anything wrong with steam, it's not what has changed. It's what hasnt. The storefront is incredibly outdated now. There just isnt enough slots to cover the stream of releases; it's difficult to navigate the specials and coming soon tab as it's capped and does not memorize your location. The SSA needs a more bolder overhaul to compensate for the changes to publishing games on Steam. And Steam support is still slow and will usually lead to a generic reply.

#9 Edited by uninspiredcup (8369 posts) -

I, disagree completely. Compared to other services steam has implemented tons upon tons of features.

- Big Picture

- In home streaming

- Steam reviews

- Steam User Guides

- Steam Workshop

- Steam Greenlight

- Steam Early Access

- Steam beta's

- Multiple hard-drive installations

That's just from the top of my head. As a service, it seems pretty much unrivaled. I have almost nothing bad to say about steam itself. It just seems the publishers on it are essentially, huge bell ends wanting Blizzard store level prices.

Since checking back, it's crawled towards the top, 2'nd place. Lesson learned, we can get away £49.99. Lets do £60 next.

#10 Posted by biggest_loser (24050 posts) -

No.

But your threads are

This. Give it a rest Cup. People aren't biting anymore.

#12 Edited by uninspiredcup (8369 posts) -

@biggest_loser said:

@MonsieurX said:

No.

But your threads are

This. Give it a rest Cup. People aren't biting anymore.

Not sure what this has to do with the topic. Or what you are talking about.

But ok.

#13 Posted by illmatic87 (15221 posts) -

I, disagree completely. Compared to other services steam has implemented tons upon tons of features.

- Big Picture

- In home streaming

- Steam reviews

- Steam User Guides

- Steam Workshop

- Steam Greenlight

- Steam Early Access

- Steam beta's

- Multiple hard-drive installations

That's just from the top of my head. As a service, it seems pretty much unrivaled. I have almost nothing bad to say about steam itself. It just seems the publishers on it are essentially, huge bell ends wanting Blizzard store level prices.

Since checking back, it's crawled towards the top, 2'nd place. Lesson learned, we can get away £49.99. Lets do £60 next.

Then it's the publishers pricing a game, not steam. Even then, Steam is -usually- still cheaper than my brick and mortar game outlets here.

Most indie games price fairly evenly across places like The Humble Store. Or GoG, GMG or even the developers website - which is probably the most fair and logical thing to do, so it's not like Steam is marking indie game prices up. I bought Transistor off Supergiant games website for example, which was the same price at it is on Steam. Its a given that a publisher that likely has a division of middle men will target a more popular userbase and storefront. That's like almost existent in plenty of product driven businesses.

#15 Edited by KHAndAnime (13661 posts) -

One of these threads again?...

sigh, Steam has never been the cheapest place to get every game on the market, it's only be good for sales, Idk what point TC is trying to make

#16 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

It's just you who's getting poorer day by day.

#17 Posted by SerOlmy (1682 posts) -

I have to say Cup. I used to agree with you on some things. But the constant troll-bait posts on PC and SW is really starting to get old.

#18 Posted by pyro1245 (772 posts) -

Like any software that's been around for more than 10 years it's getting a bit bloated. Also the pubs control prices, not steam. Pub allows sale price, sale happens.

#19 Edited by uninspiredcup (8369 posts) -
@KHAndAnime said:

sigh, Steam has never been the cheapest place to get every game on the market, it's only be good for sales, Idk what point TC is trying to make

At no point, anywhere did I claim it was cheapest. While it might be the case for you personally, that it's only worth using for a steam sale, it isn't for me, and a great deal of other people. If a game is full price (£29.99) and it's a good game, I'll quite happily support the developer.

The point, doesn't really need explained. But, for the sake of clarity, publishers are talking the piss and pc gamers are rolling over and taking it. In fact, it's being outright defended.

"oh, it's standard now" (like £34 was, then £39)

"oh your just a trolly troll!" (hurtful)

"oh, just get it on a steam sale? Whats the problem?" (When all the prices are raised, the price cut is raised, silly argument)

"Games like the Witcher 3 don't sell DLC" (Cashgrab a cashgrab)

"This is a proper PC developer" (Cashgrab a cashgrab)

"go look elsewhere" (Shouldn't have too and will spill over eventually regardless)

All fairly common lines. All bullshit.

In actuality, "next gen" console games, which here, are generally £44.99, and now, are cheaper than games like the Elder Scrolls Online or the Witcher 3 currently sitting on steam. In fact, the steam price of "The Elder Scrolls Online" even with the 50% discount PC gamers bang on about, is still X2 the price of amazon, without a cut. If you take the "imperial edition" it's near enough X5-X6 times the price.

Perhaps some of you guys may have started pc gaming recently, but pc games being vastly cheaper than console games has been a bit pro point for well above a decade. Longer in fact.

@SerOlmy said:

I have to say Cup.

That's nice.

@pyro1245 said:

Like any software that's been around for more than 10 years it's getting a bit bloated. Also the pubs control prices, not steam. Pub allows sale price, sale happens.

Aye, they have locked down the forums as well. Everyone was going batshit. One of the Elder Scrolls developers replies to my thread with the obligatory "this has run it's course" reply (i.e. you are saying not nice things). Entire forum locked down unless £49.99/£69.99. Typical clamping behavior usually reserved for seedy greenlight games.

It's easy to blame them (and they should be blamed) but at the same time, pc gamers are also to blame.The simple act of not buying something on mass is about as definite a message as can be sent. But no, within 20 minutes 3rd from the top of steam sales.

#20 Edited by uninspiredcup (8369 posts) -

@geniobastardo said:

Actually a good point (not your post, it's a cliche defense reply). Many of the people on steam, are young kids who basically get scraps for money. Or indeed, poor people. So yea, it sucks for them much more so.

It's possibly a good guess as well that many of these young ignorant kids will look at something like Elder Scrolls Online and say "oh, it will be like Skyrim with friends" and drop a huge wod of cash. Sad indeed.

The huge, huge price hike can probably be attributed solely on banking on the brand name.

#21 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2611 posts) -

It's started going downhill the minute greenlight and early access were introduced.

#22 Posted by PredatorRules (7857 posts) -

Part of the reason i'v not used origin or Uplayer or Blizzards download service is the prices.

I can pick up a game for steam for £29.99. On Origin, EA attempts to sell games for £40 - £50.

Now, when I log on to steam, I'm looking at 3 games on it now, sitting at £49.99.

The most recent being "The Elder Scrolls Online" which (aside from being £49.99) is also charging a sub fee of £9.

TESO is now half price, But I wouldn't play it until it becomes F2P

#23 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@geniobastardo said:

Actually a good point (not your post, it's a cliche defense reply). Many of the people on steam, are young kids who basically get scraps for money. Or indeed, poor people. So yea, it sucks for them much more so.

It's possibly a good guess as well that many of these young ignorant kids will look at something like Elder Scrolls Online and say "oh, it will be like Skyrim with friends" and drop a huge wod of cash. Sad indeed.

The huge, huge price hike can probably be attributed solely on banking on the brand name.

those young kids usually don't have any money at all. Why don't you just accept the fact that you're broke and live with it my dear cup?

#24 Edited by uninspiredcup (8369 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Yea, I know it's half price. It doesn't change the default price or that fact at half-price, it's almost full retail price of what it should be. Likewise (which I wasn't really complaining about centrally) £20 upgrade and £9 for a horse.

Apparently it has 750k subscribers atm.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/the-elder-scrolls-online-reaches-750000-subscribers/

Wonder how many of them bought a horsey?

#25 Posted by PredatorRules (7857 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Yea, I know it's half price. It doesn't change the default price or that face at half-price, it's almost full retail price of what it should be. Likewise (which I wasn't really complaining about centrally) £20 upgrade and £9 for a horse.

Apparently it has 750k subscribers atm.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/the-elder-scrolls-online-reaches-750000-subscribers/

Wonder how many of them bought a horsey?

Yeah I think only few people bought a horse, those are the same people who bought Dead Space 3 cheats... :D

#26 Posted by bluesunmerc (94 posts) -

I don' t think it has anything to do with people rolling over and taking it. You could say the same thing about gas everyone just rolls over and takes it. It's the way the economy works we may not like gas or video game prices rising but it is the way the game is played. The prices of video games on steam has nothing to do with them they are a a simply retailer plain and simple. Its no different than gamestop or any other retailer. The only time you can blame the retailer is when its a used game.

#27 Posted by AdrianWerner (28034 posts) -

Not to me, since Steam prices were always hugely inflated compared to prices for retail here in Poland.

#28 Posted by General_X (9030 posts) -

Prices are the publisher's fault, not Valve's.

#29 Posted by evildead6789 (7644 posts) -

You actually still considering the so called 'aaa' titles

I actually sold my pc, and play magic and fifa on my xbox (and some other sports games)

I'll buy a pc again when the oculus and virtuix omni hit the market

#30 Edited by superclocked (5823 posts) -

I've gotten some great deals on Steam this year...

#31 Posted by uninspiredcup (8369 posts) -

As soon as the sale went Elder Scrolls Online plummeted down to the top 40.

#32 Edited by skipper847 (3230 posts) -

Uplay has can never connect.

#33 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@Garfield360UK said:
I guess it also depends on what value proposition you use to measure your game purchases with and everybody is different and will want different things for their money (so perhaps a £10 increase in price for a game is a lot of money if you have been buying PC games for years, but on console, that tends to be the price of launch).

Looking on amazon, it's £18.

http://postimg.org/image/quc29g00l/

£49/£69 (whatever edition) on steam

http://postimg.org/image/wbeiq8mrx/

It seems to me they know dam well what they are doing, a cash grab.

I remember complaining about £34.99 when it jumped up from £29.99 and I generally got shouted down with "it's the new standard" with people defending it.

Then, games are now £39.99 "it's the new standard" shouted down again.

Now, 4 games sitting on steam at £49.99.

I'm sure this shit will get defended.

That's for the physical version. Digital price in the U.S. anyway is same price on steam and amazon.

@KHAndAnime said:

At no point, anywhere did I claim it was cheapest. While it might be the case for you personally, that it's only worth using for a steam sale, it isn't for me, and a great deal of other people. If a game is full price (£29.99) and it's a good game, I'll quite happily support the developer.

The point, doesn't really need explained. But, for the sake of clarity, publishers are talking the piss and pc gamers are rolling over and taking it. In fact, it's being outright defended.

"oh, it's standard now" (like £34 was, then £39)

"oh your just a trolly troll!" (hurtful)

"oh, just get it on a steam sale? Whats the problem?" (When all the prices are raised, the price cut is raised, silly argument)

"Games like the Witcher 3 don't sell DLC" (Cashgrab a cashgrab)

"This is a proper PC developer" (Cashgrab a cashgrab)

"go look elsewhere" (Shouldn't have too and will spill over eventually regardless)

All fairly common lines. All bullshit.

In actuality, "next gen" console games, which here, are generally £44.99, and now, are cheaper than games like the Elder Scrolls Online or the Witcher 3 currently sitting on steam. In fact, the steam price of "The Elder Scrolls Online" even with the 50% discount PC gamers bang on about, is still X2 the price of amazon, without a cut. If you take the "imperial edition" it's near enough X5-X6 times the price.

Perhaps some of you guys may have started pc gaming recently, but pc games being vastly cheaper than console games has been a bit pro point for well above a decade. Longer in fact.

@SerOlmy said:

I have to say Cup.

That's nice.

@pyro1245 said:

Aye, they have locked down the forums as well. Everyone was going batshit. One of the Elder Scrolls developers replies to my thread with the obligatory "this has run it's course" reply (i.e. you are saying not nice things). Entire forum locked down unless £49.99/£69.99. Typical clamping behavior usually reserved for seedy greenlight games.

It's easy to blame them (and they should be blamed) but at the same time, pc gamers are also to blame.The simple act of not buying something on mass is about as definite a message as can be sent. But no, within 20 minutes 3rd from the top of steam sales.

That's one thing I hate about steam is they let the publisher moderate the forum. There were price complaint threads on the Wolfenstein New Order forums and they kept getting deleted. People would complain about Wolfenstein being $60 when games like Far Cry 3 and Tombraider were $50 at release. What's funny though is that most of the users on the forum supported the $60 price.

This is all the fault of the consumer. I believe the first $60 pc game was MW 2. Publishers realized people are willing to pay these prices so now more and more games are getting higher prices. In fact most of the upcoming pc version multiplats are $60. I'm surprised that Alien and Shadow of Mordor are just $50.

Console games are $60 because of licensing fees. PC games have no licensing fees and on top of that are mostly sold digitally which is more profitable than retail so it's safe to say that the publisher is making at least 3x the profit on pc version sales.