Is Rift Going to be better than world of warcraft?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by brianbfds (160 posts) -

Who Thinks that rift is going to be better than wow?

If so explain your point of view

#2 Posted by theking52_TDK (943 posts) -

Just for fun, I'll say yes.

Also... what's Rift?

#3 Posted by chrisito (128 posts) -
I tried the PVE Beta this past weekend and while it looked real good and played smooth,,,,,,,I felt like I had played it a 1000 times before. It had some really interesting views but how many of the kill 6 of this and 10 of those and go give this to blah blah can you do? When I played it, I honestly thought more of Warhammer than WOW. But to be fair, I did try the PVP or the RP segments of the Beta. I didn't see anything enough to make Me want to get back into MMO's
#4 Posted by brianbfds (160 posts) -

It´s A MMO

#5 Posted by Kaisos (375 posts) -

WoW is a Fire on the move, the idea of gear grinded MMO was amazing for its time they made lots of money but another MMO won't kill WoW's community the only thing that will replace the sheer player numbers of WoW is a new genre. I'm sick of DPS/TANK/HEAL gear grind MMO. It's inevitable that it will be replaced. I haven't played Rift but i have read up on it. It brings a changing world and you can change it. It's definitely a solid MMO, it proves that mmo' are improving whether f2p or p2p the mmo's released 2 years ago are much worse compared to mmo's being released now. Just like the fps genre.

#6 Posted by _Tobli_ (5733 posts) -

I'm sick of DPS/TANK/HEAL gear grind MMO.

Kaisos

This statement made me think of guild wars 2.

As for the main topic. I think rift might be superior to wow in certain areas, but it's hard to tell at this point.

#7 Posted by sSubZerOo (43003 posts) -
Its too early to tell what so ever.. Chances are it will not be..
#8 Posted by SerOlmy (1623 posts) -
From what I have seen in the beta it could have been a contender. Problem is there is some stability and balance issues they need to work on and instead of taking an extra 6 months or so and learning from the beta feedback they are rushing it out the door. Hopefully they will get as many bugs as they can, but I think they could have done better with more time.
#9 Posted by Crimsader (11672 posts) -
Nothing will ever be better than WoW.
#10 Posted by argetlam00 (6573 posts) -

A game with a crappy name that I never heard of being better than WoW? LOL.

#11 Posted by cametall (7692 posts) -
The game play feels very cookie cutter, but there are some cool things, such as mixing multiple classes, and the random rifts appearing (basically WAR public quests). I will say, the beta is VERY polished. If I buy a new video card by March 1 I will probably be getting Rift. If anything it is a very polished and fun WoW clone.
#12 Posted by PredatorRules (7203 posts) -

brianbfds
nope, sort of a Guild Wars graphics though, if any game would be better than WoW it'll be GW2
#13 Posted by Kh1ndjal (2408 posts) -
why, oh why, does every mmo need to be compared to wow? from the sheer number of wow-hating threads and posts i have seen on this very forum i do not understand what the hullabaloo is all about. i mean, every day of the week i read about 12000 posts about how wow sucks and its too hard or too easy and its too cartoony and how the graphics suck and how it's ruined for everybody since the latest expansion and how it's got nothing on vanilla pre-TBC WoW. if that's not bad enough i also have to read about ten thousand posts on whether this mmo will dethrone wow and how that mmo will dethrone wow and wow vs guild wars threads and wow vs [insert new mmo] threads. either decide what kind of game of wow is, or just admit that gamers are individuals; they play what they like, not what is "better".
[QUOTE="brianbfds"]

PredatorRules
nope, sort of a Guild Wars graphics though, if any game would be better than WoW it'll be GW2

i played one of the betas and the visuals were kinda single color. perhaps it's that particular area but i found it rather flat in terms of color. i didn't play enough to judge the game, and tbh there was nothing to keep me playing beyond the first few levels. i couldn't imagine when the real fun would start.
#14 Posted by Buttons1990 (3167 posts) -
#15 Posted by Roland123_basic (3841 posts) -

A game with a crappy name that I never heard of being better than WoW? LOL.

argetlam00
you must live in a cave then... Rift is a very high profile MMO.
#16 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

First I check out the game's visuals and art style first. If that doesn't suit me, then it's a no go. In Rift's case, I don't like how it "looks." I'm not going to stare at a game that I don't find visually appealing. I'm not talking about graphics, I'm talking about art style and design. Gameinformer touted this one as being a contender to Guild Wars 2. At first, I thought it was interesting but the more I saw of it, I lost interest.

#17 Posted by UnknownElement4 (2603 posts) -

Rift may end up being better than WoW. But..WoW will always have more people.

#18 Posted by XxspritexX (5836 posts) -
Rift is what Warhammer should of been. The game has been attracting those from EQ and warhammer and is impressing. The Role sets are wonders in that there are many ways to play that fit your play style. There are balance issues though but hell.....that comes with ever MMO. Honestly how mainstream WoW is now attracting the "casuals"(Thats the nicest word I can call them) Rift won't beat it. But it will be an alternative. I still hate the WoW clones.....why not a SWG clone?
#19 Posted by Game-fu (893 posts) -

From what I have seen in the beta it could have been a contender. Problem is there is some stability and balance issues they need to work on and instead of taking an extra 6 months or so and learning from the beta feedback they are rushing it out the door. Hopefully they will get as many bugs as they can, but I think they could have done better with more time.SerOlmy

I was also in beta and I disagree with every point you made:

a) Complaining about class-balancing at low levels is just asinine. Period.

b) I never had a single stability issue and I pretty much never put it down during the beta events.

c) This is the most polished MMO in beta I have ever played. And I beta'd all the big ones, including WoW. This one feels the least rushed excluding WoW, which I would say it is on par with.

#20 Posted by XxspritexX (5836 posts) -

[QUOTE="SerOlmy"]From what I have seen in the beta it could have been a contender. Problem is there is some stability and balance issues they need to work on and instead of taking an extra 6 months or so and learning from the beta feedback they are rushing it out the door. Hopefully they will get as many bugs as they can, but I think they could have done better with more time.Game-fu

I was also in beta and I disagree with every point you made:

a) Complaining about class-balancing at low levels is just asinine. Period.

b) I never had a single stability issue and I pretty much never put it down during the beta events.

c) This is the most polished MMO in beta I have ever played. And I beta'd all the big ones, including WoW. This one feels the least rushed excluding WoW, which I would say it is on par with.

The devs said "This will be the first MMO to be finished after Beta" They are pretty damn confident and I give them props for saying that.
#21 Posted by DerpyMcDerp (1165 posts) -

Nope, just another World of Warcraft clone with better graphics and none of the charm.

#22 Posted by judahstarguy (261 posts) -
Short answer: no Long answer: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Played beta. Crappy warhammer online graphics engine. Feels clunky. The lore not as interesting. Not very immersive. The only thing good was the character development via souls. Save your money.
#23 Posted by Roland123_basic (3841 posts) -
[QUOTE="judahstarguy"]Short answer: no Long answer: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Played beta. Crappy warhammer online graphics engine. Feels clunky. The lore not as interesting. Not very immersive. The only thing good was the character development via souls. Save your money.

wow... if you think the graphics are bad.... i KNOW you didnt play the game. RIfts graphics are gorgeous. the gameplay however.... is think is a little generic.
#24 Posted by sSubZerOo (43003 posts) -
Am I the only one that really can play any MMO out there? I don't get how graphics can turn some one off on a MMO..
#25 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31985 posts) -

I love WoW, its a solid game and has given me 5+ years of enjoyment

with that said, I cant wait for the day a new, non-Blizzard MMO comes along and takes my interest away from WoW. I hope Rift is it, but I doubt it is. Truth be told I am more focused on Guild Wars 2 and, to a lesser extent, The Old Republic

#26 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31985 posts) -

Am I the only one that really can play any MMO out there? I don't get how graphics can turn some one off on a MMO.. sSubZerOo

pretty much this; graphics are, imo, the least important thing in an MMO.

There are many things to worry about that, imo, are far more challenging than graphics:

-strong community
-solid questing system that limits grinding and repetativeness
-a good reward system
-a deep, involved skill and character building system
-****balance, especially if youre pvp focused

Modern MMOs are being churned out wayyyyyy too fast imo. A development time of 3+ years is needed based on what I've seen to make a solid MMO that considers all aspects.

#27 Posted by Hekynn (2164 posts) -
Nope SWTOR will be better than WoW and Rift just face it op Bioware makes GREAT GAMES.
#28 Posted by Kh1ndjal (2408 posts) -
Am I the only one that really can play any MMO out there? I don't get how graphics can turn some one off on a MMO.. sSubZerOo
for me, it's not so much graphics as it is the interface specifically. i've no problem with dated visuals, but if i have to squint to read stats, or if i have to constantly look around the screen to find a particular element or information then i give up very easily. anyone can use an engine here and stick on high res textures with too much bloom and flashy effects. making a proper interface? now that's an art.
#29 Posted by -Unreal- (24533 posts) -

I played Rift and it kills WoW.

#30 Posted by -Unreal- (24533 posts) -
Nope SWTOR will be better than WoW and Rift just face it op Bioware makes GREAT GAMES.Hekynn
Blizzard make better.