is pillars of eternity going to be another kickstarter hit ?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

with Tim Cain and Josh Sawyer as the key designers I think we can hope for another cool RPG in old school style like Divinity : Original Sin

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I don't think it's going to be like Divinity: OS. But it will certainly be good.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

@the_master_race said:
Tim Cain and Josh Sawyer

If I recall correctly Tim Cain's job was limited to stronghold for this game. Also, Sawyer being heavily inspired by D&D 4e when creating the ruleset has left me skeptical.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I think it will be similar in terms of success and quality to divinity original sin

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Looks like it will be a good one, hopefully better than Wasteland 2 which I found disappointing.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Looks good and hope it does well for fans of old school RPG, but I'm more interested in Sword Coast Legends to be honest.... probably because it's the closest we will get to a Baldurs Gate 3....

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

Honestly, I think it'll be better than D: OS.

Divinity had weak writing and a heavily exploitable combat system. It was a lot of fun, but...Pillars should be at least on the level of BG1.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

Looks good and hope it does well for fans of old school RPG, but I'm more interested in Sword Coast Legends to be honest.... probably because it's the closest we will get to a Baldurs Gate 3....

Huh ?

Pillars will be a lot closer to the Infinity Engine/BG style games than SCL will be.

Just cause it's d&d 'licensed'.....doesn't mean jack.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I hope it rocks. I'm also excited for Torment

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

@bussinrounds said:

@FelipeInside said:

Huh ?

Pillars will be a lot closer to the Infinity Engine/BG style games than SCL will be.

That's exactly what I was thinking, too. SCL has the setting but it seems like, at least from what I've seen, PoE has pretty much everything else.

On a side note, I was reading the Steam Forum the other day and there are apparently a fair amount of people who aren't buying PoE because (get this) it doesn't have....romances. What?!?!?!?!

We are doomed. DOOMED! It's time to hit the reset button on humanity.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FelipeInside

@-wildflower- said:

@bussinrounds said:

@FelipeInside said:

Huh ?

That's exactly what I was thinking, too. SCL has the setting but it seems like, at least from what I've seen, PoE has pretty much everything else.

On a side note, I was reading the Steam Forum the other day and there are apparently a fair amount of people who aren't buying PoE because (get this) it doesn't have....romances. What?!?!?!?!

I was more referring to the lore and place (Sword Coast)

And I don't know why, but Sword Coast just looks better to me than Pillars.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup
@-wildflower- said:

@bussinrounds said:

@FelipeInside said:

Huh ?

£10 it's people who frequent Bioware forums. Spent about a week on that forum, felt kinda dirty afterwords.

Freaks my friend. Freaks.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@-wildflower- said:

People don't buy it cause it doesn't have romances? Oo...

Where is that button???? :P

On a serious note, I think PoE will be better than DOS, but I just don't know if it will have DOS' sales.

I bought DOS and played for some time (20hours and 3hours on character creation like all RPG fans xD) and I discover that I would love the game more if it had dnd rules.

PoE will not have dnd rules either. But SCL will have and I am very excited for this...

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#14  Edited By SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

After the info on Sword Coast Legends I'm... less excited for PoE. I haven't lost interest completely, but NWN was one of my favorite games ever and Legends seems to be going back to that type of game only with better party and co-op feature. Add in what appears to be mod tools and the NWN-style custom campaigns and persistent worlds. Yeah I'm hoping they can do what they are promising.

I'll probably still buy PoE, but not nearly as excited now. Kinda took the wind out of my sails.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Did the game release? I thought it was the 24th.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

@Arthas045: It's out on the 26th. Roughly 25 hours or so from now, judging from the Steam store page.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@-wildflower- said:

What, no romances?

Pre-order cancelled.

On a serious note, that is a good thing. Romances tend to add nothing to the game's narrative or gameplay aside from twilight-tier drivel. Of course, I am not even gonna use any companions in the first place.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 uninspiredcup

They are working on an expansion.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

Can't wait to enjoy the game. Def had to get it on GOG.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside

@SerOlmy said:

After the info on Sword Coast Legends I'm... less excited for PoE. I haven't lost interest completely, but NWN was one of my favorite games ever and Legends seems to be going back to that type of game only with better party and co-op feature. Add in what appears to be mod tools and the NWN-style custom campaigns and persistent worlds. Yeah I'm hoping they can do what they are promising.

I'll probably still buy PoE, but not nearly as excited now. Kinda took the wind out of my sails.

Not just mod tools... DUNGEON MASTER !!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

93 on metacritic.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/pillars-of-eternity

s0ldier69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 s0ldier69
Member since 2005 • 2281 Posts

Looks awesome. And if anyone has an extra backer key could I plz have!?? pm me with it:)

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

nice to see it's so well received. Wish I had time to jump into this right now!

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts
@Gamerno6666 said:

93 on metacritic.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/pillars-of-eternity

This is excellent news, and it's a great time to be a gamer! I had to pick it up after seeing how much people are loving it. I'm excited to fire it up this evening!

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Review Scores are coming fast....

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/pillars-of-eternity/critic-reviews

92% average on metacritic so far!

100% - PCGamesN = Obsidian had a daunting task before them: to make a spiritual successor to a series of games that are inextricably tangled up in nostalgia, over a decade after the height of those games’ popularity. This is not the Baldur’s Gate of 2015, it’s Baldur’s Gate, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, the best parts of the lot of them wrapped up in something new and brilliant.

100% - The Escapist = It's the best new, isometric RPG to come out in years.

95% - GRYOnline.pl = Obsidian has targeted a very specific audience for this game. It's aimed at someone like me - a fan of Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment. Someone who loves long documents, tactical battles, complex mechanics and stylish graphics. Pillars of Eternity isn't just a tribute - it's definitely more than that. It's a new, unique thing that sometimes surpasses the great cRPGs from the past.

93% - Meristation = An extraordinary master class on how to recover an abandoned style of making RPGs, showing all its strengths. A superb story, plenty of role-pay possibilities and a beautiful trip. Hopefully, just the first stop of it.

Everyeye.it = It's a fantastic return to the roots of RPGing on PC. Incredibly deep, to the point where discovering every outcome of the story will require hundreds of hours. It's fun and engaging to play. Everyone with a sweet tooth for fantasy and roleplay should consider this game, as it's a true masterpiece from Obsidian.

92% - PC Gamer = A deep, rich, and wonderfully written RPG that lives up to the towering legacy of the games that inspired it.

90% - MMORPG.com = Is Pillars of Eternity the perfect game? No, but it is an incredibly good one. When fans backed the Kickstarter to the tune of nearly four million dollars, they did so on the promise of Obsidian returning to their roots; more than that, that they would return we RPG players to our roots. By taking cues from the past, Pillars of Eternity bears lessons for future developers. Accessibility is fine, but players learn to love depth. Cutscenes are important, but less so than a well-crafted story. And the world itself should be the reason to explore, not the experience from the 100th bandit. Pillars isn’t perfect, no, but it may just be a modern classic.

90% - Gamewatcher = All you really need to know though, is this; Pillars of Eternity is a triumph.

80% = Gamer.no

With it its isometric perspective, real time combat system, great focus on roleplaying and a decent chunk of side content, Pillars of Eternity is a giant ball of playable nostalgia. You don't have to have played Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale to get the most out of this gem of a game. It fits just as well for new players as it does for old veterans.

More to come later! GO OBSIDIAN!

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I know my brother in law is probably wishing work away...

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2453 Posts

I'm too dumb to play this game. Ah, well.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Maroxad

For an Obsidian game, this is surprisingly polished. The balance doesnt seem to be as bad as I initially feared.

This is the game Dragon Age Origins SHOULD have been, and the direction that series should have taken.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By -wildflower-

My "biggest" issue so far is combat. The game would have been much better turn-based.

Combat is too fast paced. It's not really possible, or at least I haven't been successful at, setting up choke points to control battles. MoBs rush in so quickly that there's never any real opportunity to stage battles efficiently. Turn-based combat would make this a non-issue, but even slowing down some of the animations, so you're not mobbed as quickly, would help a lot, too. My ranger is usually swarmed before releasing her first arrow.

It's not a deal breaker or anything, and I'm still enjoying the little bit of the game I've played, but I can't help thinking that going turn-based would have really put this one over the fence.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#31  Edited By jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

I freaking love the combat. Love that I can pick how i want to play it (Currently run auto slow mode + pause after 3 seconds). Makes the game amazing. Playing my main as ranger and love that mix of oldschool rpg goodness and diablo-ish finish. Its one of the best aspects to me and the fact they added so many features so I can enjoy at my game speed. You can pretty much make the game full turn base or almost full hack and slash.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -wildflower-

I've just dabbled so I must be doing it wrong. I need to dig into the options I guess.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FelipeInside

@-wildflower- said:

My "biggest" issue so far is combat. The game would have been much better turn-based.

Combat is too fast paced. It's not really possible, or at least I haven't been successful at, setting up choke points to control battles. MoBs rush in so quickly that there's never any real opportunity to stage battles efficiently. Turn-based combat would make this a non-issue, but even slowing down some of the animations, so you're not mobbed as quickly, would help a lot, too. My ranger is usually swarmed before releasing her first arrow.

It's not a deal breaker or anything, and I'm still enjoying the little bit of the game I've played, but I can't help thinking that going turn-based would have really put this one over the fence.

You are using PAUSE right?

Got_A_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Got_A_Light
Member since 2015 • 32 Posts

had a Kickstarter campaign myself which flopped

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -wildflower-

@FelipeInside:

Well, yeah, of course. It's not my first kick at this particular can. :)

It's that the mobs seem to rush in so quickly that they often bypass my tanks and head straight for the squishy ones I'm trying to protect. Maybe I've just been spoiled by all the really good turn-based RPGs released lately (I've also never been a huge big fan of RtwP in general). Still, like I said, I am enjoying what little I've played of the game. It has some very interesting ideas. For example: I really like, being a big fan of character building in general, the idea that I can, at any time, hire a npc that I get to build to suit my needs or whims. Very cool idea.

The art style, atmosphere, writing, and vibe are great. I would have just preferred turn-based combat (but I will always prefer turn-base combat over RTwP).

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FelipeInside

@-wildflower- said:

@FelipeInside:

Well, yeah, of course. It's not my first kick at this particular can. :)

It's that the mobs seem to rush in so quickly that they often bypass my tanks and head straight for the squishy ones I'm trying to protect. Maybe I've just been spoiled by all the really good turn-based RPGs released lately (I've also never been a huge big fan of RtwP in general). Still, like I said, I am enjoying what little I've played of the game. It has some very interesting ideas. For example: I really like, being a big fan of character building in general, the idea that I can, at any time, hire a npc that I get to build to suit my needs or whims. Very cool idea.

The art style, atmosphere, writing, and vibe are great. I would have just preferred turn-based combat (but I will always prefer turn-base combat over RTwP).

I can't talk on the difficulty because I don't own the game, but happy that it's getting great feedback from gamers.

I was going to buy it, but from what I've seen of Sword Coast Legends, that has me more interested now.

Not trying to sound like a graphics whore... but from videos I've seen, Pillars looks really dated.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Where is the review? :(

@FelipeInside said:

Not trying to sound like a graphics whore... but from videos I've seen, Pillars looks really dated.

Haha, yeah I almost fell from my chair when I read at recommended "GTX 570"...

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -wildflower-

@FelipeInside said:

I can't talk on the difficulty because I don't own the game, but happy that it's getting great feedback from gamers.

I was going to buy it, but from what I've seen of Sword Coast Legends, that has me more interested now.

I dunno, PoE looks great to these ancient eyes, and now that I've tweaked the combat settings, encounters are a bit more palatable, too. Hell, I'll take PoE over something like Dragon Age Inquisition (Game of the Year my ass), and all it's graphical glory, any day of the week. Graphics ain't everything.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By uninspiredcup

@-wildflower- said:

The Hit "S" key. Much like Total War, the combat speed can be toggled, slow essentially makes it the same speed as Baldurs Gate.

It's a very good feature, both for managing combat and speed up travel.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 uninspiredcup

Noticed a slight bug, if you lay a trap, quick-save then die, you loose the trap.
Kinda annoying, espcailly on hard mode. Probably be patched thougth, not too big a deal.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Maroxad

For an RTwP game this is pretty good.

The best game I played this year thus far. Definately shits over anything BioWare made starting with and after Neverwinter Nights.

Gotta love people who are whining because they die in the bear cave.

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

@-wildflower-: I have it on hard and rarely have to pause, choke points are easy with intelligent formations and movement. Damage tankers absorb, priest blesses, chanter chants healing, mage and cipher dps and disable. I find myself pausing for heavily armored enemies only, the rest I hack through like weeds

And the bear cave, I went back there once I paid a Paladin to join. Hold large bear with mage, kill small bear, kill large bear.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By -wildflower-

@rabakill said:

@-wildflower-: I have it on hard and rarely have to pause, choke points are easy with intelligent formations and movement. Damage tankers absorb, priest blesses, chanter chants healing, mage and cipher dps and disable. I find myself pausing for heavily armored enemies only, the rest I hack through like weeds

And the bear cave, I went back there once I paid a Paladin to join. Hold large bear with mage, kill small bear, kill large bear.

My issue was the speed at which enemies would swarm your party, not setting up formations. Tweaking the combat settings and speed helped and, like I said in an earlier post, the combat is now more palatable but there are still path finding issues, like there are in all RtwP games. This game would have been much better with a proper turn-based combat system.

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

@-wildflower-: tweak the pause options

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

@-wildflower- said:

@FelipeInside said:

I dunno, PoE looks great to these ancient eyes, and now that I've tweaked the combat settings, encounters are a bit more palatable, too. Hell, I'll take PoE over something like Dragon Age Inquisition (Game of the Year my ass), and all it's graphical glory, any day of the week. Graphics ain't everything.

No of course graphics isn't everything. I played "To The Moon" and thought it was one of the best games I ever played.

Just that PoE looks a bit "off" to me. Can't really say why. Maybe because now I'm comparing it visually to Sword Coast Legends.

Anyway.... I'm a bit worried that you can toggle the combat options??? Why? or what options can you toggle?

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By -wildflower-

I just messed around with the combat speed but you can tweak different setting like when the game pauses, etc. Pretty standard stuff, really but in my haste to start playing, I jumped in without looking around first and found the combat a bit too quick for my tastes. Not a huge deal but it's better now. I was always a bit concerned about the RTwP combat because I've never been a fan.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 uninspiredcup

Ridiculous amounts of detail. Picking up books telling you about customs and ritualized events./

Unlike Bethesda games, I actually read them.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FelipeInside

@uninspiredcup said:

Ridiculous amounts of detail. Picking up books telling you about customs and ritualized events./

Obisidian has always been about heaps of storytelling and detail. I reckon they have a building just filled with writers in there constantly doing 200 hour shifts, lol....

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Maroxad

@FelipeInside said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Obisidian has always been about heaps of storytelling and detail. I reckon they have a building just filled with writers in there constantly doing 200 hour shifts, lol....

Too many writers is a bad thing. I doubt they have many writers at all.

Just talented ones, like Chris Avellone.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FelipeInside

@Maroxad said:

@FelipeInside said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Too many writers is a bad thing. I doubt they have many writers at all.

Just talented ones, like Chris Avellone.

Yes.... too many writers is dangerous cause the main story is harder to follow or synchronize between everyone.... but heck, there's so much text in these games that they really write heaps.