is my system viable for next gen games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

If not, what should I upgrade and what should it upgrade it to? I'm not too computer building savvy, I usually go to micro-center and they recommend me what to get then I just put it in at home. I just don't want them to rip me off with something I don't need, so i thought I'd ask here. I want a good bang for my buck. It doesn't have to be the best hardware. and I can play on low settings. I just want a smooth gameplay experience. I'll be picking up Unity and Advanced Warfare in the near future.

Processor- AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20Ghz

Graphics card- Nvidea Geforce GTX 460 SE

8,00 gigs of RAM

Motherboard- GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD

Windows 8.1 pro x64

750 W powersupply and 500g harddrive.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

no. your 460 is going to struggle to run a lot of games on low. its mostly a vram issue. 4gb vram is pretty much going to be standard going forward.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3  Edited By jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

@cyloninside:

don't believe the hype. Year 2 into this "next gen" world and not seeing a major problem.

@polishkid99

I have pretty much the exact Pc you do. Ddifference is I have only a 768mb gtx 460 video card. Almost same motherboard as well with same CPU, and a 500gb hd as well

I play only at 1440x900 or 1366 x 768 so keep that in mind.

Currently, rock anything I want at high with either FXAA X2 or X4 AA. This included Shadow of Mordor. I would suspect base on your video card, your mid ranging so I would not expect you to be extremely high in resolution. If you are trying to rock 1080p, I would suggest you build a new pc instead of trying to upgrade. If you are not, you will be absolutely fine for a good while longer.

So far I laugh at these suggested game requirements as they are meant for a specific standard such as 1080p on up. You will be fine rocking 60 fps at medium to high settings in a lower resolution. Ultra will be out of your ballpark sadly but its all good. I'm on windows 7 64 bit but i would not expect much difference to you rocking windows 8.1 in that regard to newer games right now. PM me if you want some ideas of framerates or have idea of performance base on some games I have.

I would suggest you sit back and enjoy what you got for another year and save up to build a nice 600-800 dollar rig. Your 5 year rig will hold out for a while longer.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#4  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

I normally would say just drop a GTX 970 in there, but your CPU will bottleneck it. So, you are looking at a new MoBo, CPU, GPU, and possibly RAM depending on what type you have. The rest of the stuff you could reuse in your new build.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@polishkid99:

The 1 thing you didn't say was what resolution do you play at?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By 04dcarraher  Online
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

@cyloninside said:

its mostly a vram issue. 4gb vram is pretty much going to be standard going forward.

Every multiplat game that has asked for 3gb or 4gb for high/max settings has been proven as inflated requirements so far.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

You need a better cpu and gpu go for an overclockable intel quadcore and a GTX 970 or better and your good to go for any true nextgen game like Ryse Son of Rome and other next gen games that use Physically Based Shading.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

its fine for now, although as others said not much room for upgrading with that oldish motherboard.