Is my GPU on the outs?

#1 Posted by whitey_rolls (2499 posts) -

Over the past week I've been having some PC issues and I think it's GPU related but was hoping for some community feedback.

- I'm getting artifacts and my pc is freezing

- I'm getting blue screen crashes

- I'm getting errors from AMD drivers telling me they stopped responding

I've updated the drivers on my AMD 5870, first time rebooting after doing so my pc loaded and artifacted right away and froze.

I've run memory tests and no errors were found.

I should also note that usually these problems occur after a gaming session.

Thoughts?

#2 Edited by ForsakenWicked (3734 posts) -

Run a System File Check to see if there are any system files damaged. To do this, open the command prompt with admin rights and type sfc/ scannow

This will attempt to repair any damaged system files. BSODs could be caused by damaged OS or a hardware failure and so you should check software first.

Try this and if this doesn't solve your issue, I would recommend doing a clean Windows install. If the issue persists after that, then you can be pretty much be sure it's a hardware failure.

#3 Edited by _SKatEDiRt_ (2571 posts) -

Sounds like your gpu is in fact on the outs. Are you artifacting and freezing on the windows desktop? this is the same thing that happened to my old 9800gx2

#4 Edited by whitey_rolls (2499 posts) -

Ran the sfc/scannow and no errors were found.

Honestly I'm not interested in doing a clean install it's such a pain. I have a 64 bit version of vista on disc then I have to do a digital upgrade to windows 7. This doesn't sound too complicated but it usually takes me about 4 - 5 hours with all the patching that's required.

Everything points to the GPU, mines like 4 years old anyway and I was planning on buying a new one already (except Maxwell was delayed).

I guess the question is get something to die me over or buy a 770 gtx.

#5 Edited by 04dcarraher (19476 posts) -

Have you even checked your temps? clean the cooler and see if the fan is even working?

#6 Edited by GarGx1 (2603 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

Have you even checked your temps? clean the cooler and see if the fan is even working?

^^^ absolutely this

#7 Posted by Old_Gooseberry (3569 posts) -

go back to older drivers when your gpu was working good. if your card is overclocked make sure you put it back on defaults.

Best way though would be to test that video card in a different pc (if you have an extra old one laying around) and see if it does the same thing. If it does then no doubt the card needs replacing.

#8 Posted by Horgen (110079 posts) -

Do this! Also set it to stock clocks if you have OC'ed it.

#9 Edited by whitey_rolls (2499 posts) -

I've tested the temps "idling" in the high 40's with the fan at 30 - 40%. When I stress the GPU the fan speeds go up and the temp tops out in the low 60's.

I have the fan set to automatically adjust which is appears to be doing, I tested the manual fan up to 100% and it appears to be working as intended.

So I don't think temperature is an issue. I will admit the case is a little dusty but nothing that should drastically hinder performance.

#10 Edited by Horgen (110079 posts) -

I've tested the temps "idling" in the high 40's with the fan at 30 - 40%. When I stress the GPU the fan speeds go up and the temp tops out in the low 60's.

I have the fan set to automatically adjust which is appears to be doing, I tested the manual fan up to 100% and it appears to be working as intended.

So I don't think temperature is an issue. I will admit the case is a little dusty but nothing that should drastically hinder performance.

Dust would mean increased temperature. However those temps are fine. Can you test with another GPU or does your CPU have an internal one you can test?

#11 Posted by whitey_rolls (2499 posts) -

@horgen:

I don't have another PC to test this GPU in nor do I have another GPU to test in the computer.

WRT the Intel graphics I can't use them because I have a P series motherboard, 2600K the initial motherboards didn't allow the unlocked multiplier and the GPU.

#12 Posted by whitey_rolls (2499 posts) -

An update on this, I ran memtest today for 8 cycles, took almost 15 hours and no memory errors were returned.

I'm now running a single stick of my four sticks of memory. I'm hoping to have a crash, I'll switch to another stick and if it crashes I'll know the memory is fine.

#13 Edited by AdamPA1006 (6419 posts) -

Definitely clean up the dust in your case

#14 Edited by whitey_rolls (2499 posts) -

@AdamPA1006:

Ya I'm going to, I clean it out a couple times a year so it really isn't that bad but does need to be done.

GPU is officially fried though. I ran with a single stick of memory (after doing memtest 15 hours with no errors), I ran OCCT which is a test you can do to stress your GPU. The GPU test ran for 10 minutes, a bunch of errors were returned and then my PC froze.

time for a new thread, what gpu should I buy

#15 Posted by evildead6789 (7633 posts) -

@AdamPA1006:

Ya I'm going to, I clean it out a couple times a year so it really isn't that bad but does need to be done.

GPU is officially fried though. I ran with a single stick of memory (after doing memtest 15 hours with no errors), I ran OCCT which is a test you can do to stress your GPU. The GPU test ran for 10 minutes, a bunch of errors were returned and then my PC froze.

time for a new thread, what gpu should I buy

the r9 280x is comparable with a gtx 770 and much cheaper

If you want to dual up the gtx 770 will be much better option, nvidia has found a solution for microstuttering with the 7 series

amd didn't

#16 Posted by Arthas045 (5156 posts) -

Damn hate to hear about your GPU going out, but what do you budget for a new card?

#17 Posted by AdamPA1006 (6419 posts) -

r9 290 is the best bang for buck no question