Is it worth fixing up?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by theshadow1212 (490 posts) -
my parents bought a new computer and therefore they gave me this one.  It has a 2.53 GHz Pentium 4 with a new ATI Radeon 9550 512 mb of ram and about 25GB of its 80GB harddrive empty.  When they bought their computer they got a free copy of windows vista via mail in rebate.  I was thinking about upgrading to 1GB of ram so i could play hl2 better.  Is it worth it to upgrade to vista to play games or is my system to far behind to be caught up.
#2 Posted by theshadow1212 (490 posts) -
Sorry it is hard to understand I'm wondering if i should buy new ram to upgrade to vista or if i should just throw this computer away
#3 Posted by johndoh4 (1743 posts) -
I'm not sure why your parents felt they needed a new computer. The one you described is pretty darn good. You might want to upgrade to 1GB of ram if your going to be playing games with it. As for Vista, thats really up to you. If you want it, go ahead and install it. Just make sure you meet the system requirements (Which I believe you will), but XP should be fine for a while. If your going to throw this computer away, I'll find out where you live and go dumpster diving for it :D.
#4 Posted by jrhawk42 (12764 posts) -
it's tough to tell what type of cpu socket does it have?, and is it PCI express or AGP?

I don't know much about intel sockets, but I think if it won't upgrade to a dual core, and is AGP than I wouldn't really invest too much in it.
#5 Posted by jcohenx (1312 posts) -
Sorry it is hard to understand I'm wondering if i should buy new ram to upgrade to vista or if i should just throw this computer awaytheshadow1212
. If you are aspiring to play HL2 definitely do not throw it away! What kid of motherboard do you have, is it PCIExpress compatible? If so, I would invest in a better video card and increase RAM to 1Gb. I don't know a lot about Vista requirements but I have to believe that you can load it on your current rig. It's not that out of date.
#6 Posted by johndoh4 (1743 posts) -
[QUOTE="theshadow1212"]Sorry it is hard to understand I'm wondering if i should buy new ram to upgrade to vista or if i should just throw this computer awayjcohenx
. If you are aspiring to play HL2 definitely do not throw it away! What kid of motherboard do you have, is it PCIExpress compatible? If so, I would invest in a better video card and increase RAM to 1Gb. I don't know a lot about Vista requirements but I have to believe that you can load it on your current rig. It's not that out of date.

If he has a Raedon 9550, its probably AGP 8x.
#7 Posted by xs-dona (4 posts) -
the radeon 9550 is agp 8x. There is no need to throw that away, as you can still play most of the game currently. I do suggest upgrading to 1gb of ram as that is crucial if your looking for smooth gameplay. other than that, that system isn't bad at all. As for Vista, i don't suggest you go for it right now, XP is just fine. Vista just came out, let them release some fixes and updates.. maybe even the sp1.. I would wait about close to a year before jumping into that pool :)
#8 Posted by theshadow1212 (490 posts) -
alright thx for your help ill probably go and buy one of those 40$ 512mb sticks of ram a circuit city
#9 Posted by HostileEffect (2491 posts) -
Be sure you are getting RAM that is compatible... I recommend getting the recommended specs at the Crucial website or the motherboard maker website. After you know what specs you need then you can go with whatever your taste is.

I have had 2X256Mb Crucial in this computer and now 1X1024Mb Pqi, both seem to be good. Most high end graphics cards are in the AGP 8X flavor so you can probably find a good card in the $100-$150 bin.

Never throw out a good computer no matter how old it is...
If it runs, keep it. If it needs repairs, I'm you can get them for a reasonable price. Still got a PIII 450Mhz / Voodoo 2 Compaq home PC, it needs a new copy of Windows 98 or Linux but hardware wise its just fine :P I think it was made in 1998 too.