Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

Hey,

Thinking about giving my PC a clean and I was wondering about where to clean it. It hasn't been cleaned in a while and is going to make a massive mess, especially if I use compressed air.

So is it safe to clean a PC outside? Are there any risks? If it isn't safe i'll just buy some dust sheets and cover things.

Thanks.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Clean it wherever you want, just don't pour water on it or anything alike.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Used to take customers pc's that where just unbearably filthy inside, out the back door and take a huge shot vac to them to suck out all the dust and smoking crud that builds. Just prop it up on something like a table. and it wouldn't hurt to use a ground on both you and it as a precaution. The shot vac did a great job of keeping me from having to breath in all that disgusting stuff people let build up over the span of years of it never once being turned off.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#4 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17792 Posts

You can clean it wherever you like. But if it is absolutely filthy, I would recommend cleaning it in the bathtub/shower area. Easy to wash away all the dust after. ;)

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Well, for starters it's probably a good idea to not do it when there are dark clouds in the sky. Otherwise it should be fine.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#6  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17792 Posts

Just a little tip... If you leave your case open. It actually stays a lot cleaner. The dust doesn't get trapped like a closed case. This is of course in a regular environment. If you have it in an area where there is sand or saw dust flying around and shit, then you may want to have a good enclosure.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i always clean mine out in the garage and just hit it with my big air compressor

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@BassMan said:

Just a little tip... If you leave your case open. It actually stays a lot cleaner. The dust doesn't get trapped like a closed case. This is of course in a regular environment. If you have it in an area where there is sand or saw dust flying around and shit, then you may want to have a good enclosure.

Or you can always use filters. It's much better for temps to have the case on generally. But if you're not OCing it doesn't matter.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@PcGamingRig said:

Hey,

Thinking about giving my PC a clean and I was wondering about where to clean it. It hasn't been cleaned in a while and is going to make a massive mess, especially if I use compressed air.

So is it safe to clean a PC outside? Are there any risks? If it isn't safe i'll just buy some dust sheets and cover things.

Thanks.

I always take the PC outside to clean out the dust. It doesn't take more than few seconds worth of canned CO2.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127501 Posts
@jun_aka_pekto said:

@PcGamingRig said:

Hey,

Thanks.

I always take the PC outside to clean out the dust. It doesn't take more than few seconds worth of canned CO2.

I hope you got a good circulation in your house...

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@horgen:

@horgen said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

I hope you got a good circulation in your house...

Isn't canned air just compressed CO2 (at least a similar gas)? That's why it gets very cold at the can surface when spraying too long. It's just like the CO2 propellant for my .22 pellet rifle when I was younger. Besides, the wife would have a fit if I let the cloud of dust fly around the house.

As for good circulation...... Well, the house has robust central air conditioning plus every room has a ceiling fan:

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jun_aka_pekto
@Chatch09 said:

@PcGamingRig: I suppose a bird could fly by and and take a dump on your rig lol but other than that its perfectly fine. Canned air is garbage, gets less effective as it cools down and if you're like me and clean your system often, you end up spending a lot of money on the stuff down the road, so I got this. Only downfall is that its LOUD, like, blender on warp speed loud lol but gets the job done much faster and better than canned air. If you have dust thats really caked on then you should also grab a soft bristle paint brush to gently dust it out.

Vacuuming the inside of a PC is faster than blowing the dust out? C'mooon. ;-)

It takes a full year, sometimes more, before dust bunnies accumulate inside my PC. One $6 can of compressed air lasts me around two to three years.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Leaf blower is better.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jun_aka_pekto
@Chatch09 said:

@jun_aka_pekto: Did you click the link? Its not a vacuum, its an electric blower.... Im super OCD about temps and performance so I clean mine every 2-4 weeks, you will NEVER see me post in a "dirty rig" thread, that said, canned air is out of the question for me.

Edit: I see how you mistook it for a vacuum, Metro Vacuum is the manufacturer, not the product lol.

Oooops. My bad. The wife had an errand for me to do (just got back) So, I had to hurry up my post. I guess it would be worth it if you had to dust out the PC frequently.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I always clean mine outside.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PcGamingRig

@BassMan: I have cats who like to get into things.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PcGamingRig

Thanks for the responses. I have a wooden table in my front garden so I'll try putting up on there and cleaning it with air and anti static brushes. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Will be fine just don't do it:-

• On a cliff edge
  • On a busy road
  • At the zoo
  • In a swimming pool
  • When raining
  • When snowing
  • While skydiving.....
kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

I see no harm in doing so, I cleaned mine outside about 2 weeks ago.
Just don't do anything silly and you should be okay.

B_rich84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23 B_rich84
Member since 2013 • 367 Posts

I always take mine outside. I don't want dust getting everywhere.

I use a vacuum and a DataVac Metro Vacuum blower

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127501 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto: I misread your post a little. If you do it outside, it doesn't matter so much that CO2 is heavier than oxygen. It wont get trapped like it can be inside a house.