Is it not meant to be?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts
My i52500k has been overclocked to 4.3GHz for literally almost a year now with no issues whatsoever. When I first setup my system and experimented with overclocking I could never get it quite stable past 4.3GHz, the closest I got was 4.4GHz but it turned out to be unstable after a extended period of time. Since I first got my system I have gone from two 480s in SLI to one 680 which is currently at stock. I still have one of the 480s in my system because I was stupid and stripped the screw that nailed it to the motherboard. I'm thinking if I can get that out I can lower my temperatures even more however I'm not sure how to go about doing so without breaking anything. The PCI-E slot that the 480 is in is already partially broken(the lock snapped off) but it's still functional and I want to keep it that way when I buy another 680 down the line. I guess I have two main questions: 1. Will the change in video cards and a drop in temps allow me to overclock my CPU more or am I stuck at 4.3GHz with this particular CPU unless I spend money? Is it even related to temps at all? 2. How do I go about removing a stripped screw and taking out my video card without doing any more damage? I have now had this computer for almost a year, I had some issues with SLI, but other than that it has worked fine. Apart from the GTX680 I got for christmas, I haven't changed anything. I am totally broke at the moment. I am almost 17 years old, I'm getting a job pretty soon but right now I have no source of income and I'm not a spoiled little rich kid that gets everything he wants. I have to earn everything I get. Of course this means that if something breaks down I have to either fix it myself or usually downgrade until I get a replacement. I realize in terms of frame rate and general performance at the level of overclocking I'm already at with this CPU there's not going to be much of a increase, it's more of a "How far can I push my system and still keep it stable" than wanting to increase frame rates. I am considering overclocking my GPU for frame rate increases, which I have done before but reverted because Crysis 3 hates me.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
What makes it hard to overclock, temps to high? You could get a better cooler and give the CPU a bit more voltage.
Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts
The temps are okay, what happens is I get BSODS and my system crashes. I have tried raising voltages in the past, I suppose now that I actually know what I'm doing I might have a better chance, but my computer has been working for so long I'm a little afraid to touch it :P.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

The temps are okay, what happens is I get BSODS and my system crashes. I have tried raising voltages in the past, I suppose now that I actually know what I'm doing I might have a better chance, but my computer has been working for so long I'm a little afraid to touch it :P.Brean24

Well, just save your OC profile. You can always just fall back to it if your new OC fails. It could be the limitation of your motherboard, not your CPU. It's most likely unstable after 4.3GHz. Sandy Bridge i5-2500k can overclock really high up to 5.0GHz granted you have a capable motherboard and cooling system. So I'm 99% leaning towards that. Have you tried raising your CPU PLL voltage above 1.832+? Don't go over 1.89.

At 4.3GHz, I don't see why you'd want to OC more unless you're just OCD about it.  If you want to see a small increase in performance, get a water cooler and take it up to 5.0GHz :P