Is it easy to upgrade the graphics card for a laptop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by banana7212 (13 posts) -

I could use some help here....

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (30407 posts) -
It's usually not. Forget it
#3 Posted by banana7212 (13 posts) -
Thanks, I hope not. Im pretty sure mine is stock at 512 MB. How good does it need to be to play games good? Im a console gamer new to PC...
#4 Posted by way2funny (4570 posts) -

You can't, however in the next 5-10 years expect to start seeing external graphics cards that will make it possible.

Thanks, I hope not. Im pretty sure mine is stock at 512 MB. How good does it need to be to play games good? Im a console gamer new to PC...banana7212

If you post your specs, or your laptop model number we can easily let you know

#5 Posted by MonsieurX (30407 posts) -
[QUOTE="banana7212"]Thanks, I hope not. Im pretty sure mine is stock at 512 MB. How good does it need to be to play games good? Im a console gamer new to PC...

It's more than memory.

You can't, however in the next 5-10 years expect to start seeing external graphics cards that will make it possible.

way2funny
It's already possible with external gpu,but you're generally limited to USB connections
#6 Posted by Blistrax (1071 posts) -
[QUOTE="banana7212"]How good does it need to be to play games good? Im a console gamer new to PC...

Look at my specs. I consider my rig adequate at 1920X1200. Anything less wil make you back off settings in the more demanding older games like Crysis and Metro. It's an expensive hobby, my friend. It used to be worth it for the graphics realism, but as things stand, I recommend sticking with consoles and forgetting about PC gaming. The game makers have realized that there is no money in making games pretty for the PC, and all you will ever see from here on out is crippled ports like Portal2 and Crysis2.
#7 Posted by way2funny (4570 posts) -

[QUOTE="banana7212"]Thanks, I hope not. Im pretty sure mine is stock at 512 MB. How good does it need to be to play games good? Im a console gamer new to PC...MonsieurX
It's more than memory.

way2funny

It's already possible with external gpu,but you're generally limited to USB connections

Right, and thats slowly changing with Thunderbolt and better data transfer technologies

#8 Posted by kraken2109 (13067 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blistrax"][QUOTE="banana7212"]How good does it need to be to play games good? Im a console gamer new to PC...

Look at my specs. I consider my rig adequate at 1920X1200. Anything less wil make you back off settings in the more demanding older games like Crysis and Metro. It's an expensive hobby, my friend. It used to be worth it for the graphics realism, but as things stand, I recommend sticking with consoles and forgetting about PC gaming. The game makers have realized that there is no money in making games pretty for the PC, and all you will ever see from here on out is crippled ports like Portal2 and Crysis2.

How is portal 2 a crippled port? And most people wouldn't consider a GTX 590 minimum...
#9 Posted by egger7577 (588 posts) -
[QUOTE="banana7212"]How good does it need to be to play games good? Im a console gamer new to PC...Blistrax

If you load your computer with a GTX 590 it's going to be massively expensive. You can build a decent rig for a decent price with a bit of research. New consoles are coming out soon and I can't imagine them selling for less than 4-500 at launch. I also disagree that gamemakers aren't making games pretty for PC. Upcoming Crysis 3 requires a GTX 680 to max it out; hell you still can't even max out The Witcher 2 with a 680. They designed the game for future use with ubersampling which is a massive graphics hog.
#10 Posted by WastelandArcher (80 posts) -
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Blistrax"]How is portal 2 a crippled port? And most people wouldn't consider a GTX 590 minimum...

Pretty sure that guy was trolling. In all seriousness, building a fairly reasonable gaming PC (desktop) is not a ridiculous or expensive undertaking. The problem is people think they can get an affordable and awesome laptops for gaming. Generally speaking this isn't the case. Build a desktop with a reasonable amount of initial investment and enjoy games released the way they were meant to be played, not the limited control copies they release for consoles.
#11 Posted by Blistrax (1071 posts) -
[QUOTE="WastelandArcher"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Blistrax"]How is portal 2 a crippled port? And most people wouldn't consider a GTX 590 minimum...

Pretty sure that guy was trolling.

I don't troll. This is what it takes to run Crysis flat out 1920X1200 at 8AA, and I know because I built up to this gradually. My last card was a 295 with a top-end AMD CPU, and it wasn't quite up to it. If you want the total package, full eye candy, have a bucket of money ready. Anything less, why bother? Get an X-box. That you can't see what's wrong with Portal2 is exactly what I'm talking about. They used about six blurry, generic textures in the whole thing, it was dark, and the draw distances were a joke. The game makers would be idiots to write anything betterthe kids will buy it anywayand they never will again.
#12 Posted by kraken2109 (13067 posts) -

[QUOTE="WastelandArcher"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Blistrax"]How is portal 2 a crippled port? And most people wouldn't consider a GTX 590 minimum...Blistrax

I don't troll. This is what it takes to run Crysis flat out 1920X1200 at 8AA, and I know because I built up to this gradually. My last card was a 295 with a top-end AMD CPU, and it wasn't quite up to it. If you want the total package, full eye candy, have a bucket of money ready. Anything less, why bother? Get an X-box. That you can't see what's wrong with Portal2 is exactly what I'm talking about. They used about six blurry, generic textures in the whole thing, it was dark, and the draw distances were a joke. The game makers would be idiots to write anything betterthe kids will buy it anywayand they never will again.

So I you can't have a £600 GPU PC gaming is pointless?

What a stupid attitude. I guess you drive a Rolls Royce then (or maybe a £200 banger because 'all or nothing' right?!).

#13 Posted by egger7577 (588 posts) -
[QUOTE="WastelandArcher"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Blistrax"]How is portal 2 a crippled port? And most people wouldn't consider a GTX 590 minimum...Blistrax

I have a GTX 570 and I can max out Crysis just fine. Crysis was designed to be a PC killer anyways and meant to take a few generations to max out. That's what he developers wanted and it keeps the game relevant. I still don't understand your arguement. Portal 2 looked amazing for such an old engine and I had no issues whatsoever with the game. Buy an Xbox and play blurry games with crappy textures, no AA and upscaled HD. I guess that's what you get for 250 I suppose.
#14 Posted by kai_311 (444 posts) -
Wow so anything less, why bother? What happen with just having fun in a game? My single 6970 will max Crysis at 1080p, sure not 60fps but playable. Hell my 9800M GS on my laptop is playable on a mix of medium and high settings at 720p. Back on topic, no it isn't easy to upgrade a gpu on a laptop. It varies on what laptop you have. My laptop has a MXM graphics card so it is replaceable. Will I be able to upgrade it? Yes, I can but its not recommended due to temps. The cooler that came with your laptop is made specific for it. Upgrading to a better card will make that cooler insufficient resulting in overheating. The good thing about it, I can replace it with the same card if it fails on me but even then mxm cards are expensive.
#15 Posted by Blistrax (1071 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blistrax"][QUOTE="WastelandArcher"] Pretty sure that guy was trolling. kraken2109

What a stupid attitude. I guess you drive a Rolls Royce then (or maybe a £200 banger because 'all or nothing' right?!).

No, it's like getting a Lambourghini when all the roads are rutted dirt with potholes. If all you want to do is play and have fun, get a console. If you want cutting-edge graphics, go to MIT and write some yourself, because the game makers have stopped doing that.
#16 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

[QUOTE="Blistrax"] I don't troll. This is what it takes to run Crysis flat out 1920X1200 at 8AA, and I know because I built up to this gradually. My last card was a 295 with a top-end AMD CPU, and it wasn't quite up to it. If you want the total package, full eye candy, have a bucket of money ready. Anything less, why bother? Get an X-box. That you can't see what's wrong with Portal2 is exactly what I'm talking about. They used about six blurry, generic textures in the whole thing, it was dark, and the draw distances were a joke. The game makers would be idiots to write anything betterthe kids will buy it anywayand they never will again.Blistrax

No, it's like getting a Lambourghini when all the roads are rutted dirt with potholes. If all you want to do is play and have fun, get a console. If you want cutting-edge graphics, go to MIT and write some yourself, because the game makers have stopped doing that.

yeah, because there's not a single game out there that looks and runs better than the console version on a midrange <$1000 computer. /sarcasm. If you're not trolling, you're clueless.