Is dota 2 worth trying out?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by slipknot0129 (5520 posts) -

My steam friend gave me dota 2 as a gift a month ago. Havent played it yet. Been playing Lol. It worth it to play dota 2?

#2 Posted by SerOlmy (1801 posts) -
Short answer - no. Long answer - only if you are already REALLY good at MOBA type games. The learning curve is insane.
#3 Posted by MonsieurX (31584 posts) -
Won't run on your X51.
#4 Posted by bonafidetk (3850 posts) -
If you're a LoL player than you'll probably run away crying because of the heightened difficulty.
#5 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -
League of Legends is for girly men.
#6 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
If you want a more harder challenge than LoL, yeah, sure.

Be ready, you won't get free TPs back to home.
#7 Posted by NerubianWeaver (2046 posts) -
[QUOTE="SerOlmy"]Short answer - no. Long answer - only if you are already REALLY good at MOBA type games. The learning curve is insane.

The learning curve is fine. Play Starcraft 2 if you want an insane one...
#8 Posted by ultrapc (808 posts) -

The difficulty might put you off at first, so I'd suggest playing with easy bots at first to understand how things work . If you jump straight into a real match you'd be really disappointed and frustrated because it is very competitive . Once you understand how the game works it becomes quite addictive .

#9 Posted by jakes456 (1398 posts) -

junk game for kids.

#10 Posted by whitey_rolls (2503 posts) -
[QUOTE="SerOlmy"]Short answer - no. Long answer - only if you are already REALLY good at MOBA type games. The learning curve is insane.

I don't really agree with this, I picked the game up a couple weeks ago (so far played about 50 games) and while I will agree there is a lot to learn the learning curve shouldn't scare you away. This is coming from a guy who played a very little bit (less than 10 games) of Dota and has never played HON or LOL.
#11 Posted by Whiteblade999 (5579 posts) -

Game is a lot of fun if you are into denying and a less forgiving game in general. Personally, 800 hours of Heroes of Newerth made me sick to death of the formula so I couldn't get into the game nearly as much as I would like.

#12 Posted by Darkmoone1 (2827 posts) -
League of Legends is for girly men.SKaREO
If you're a LoL player than you'll probably run away crying because of the heightened difficulty.bonafidetk
I play both. Other than a courier system I don't see that much of a jump in difficulty. =/
#13 Posted by Socijalisticka (1554 posts) -

Play Warcraft 3.

Short answer - no. Long answer - only if you are already REALLY good at MOBA type games. The learning curve is insane.SerOlmy

lol.

#14 Posted by Neonice901 (95 posts) -
Dota is totally worth a try, I am an ex-LoL player and I was completely converted to Dota. As for the learning curve it is no more than any Moba were you need to know all the characters this is ultimately the hardest part of Dota. Dota is a much more enjoyable Moba and it has a largely better community than LoL, something that should be a huge welcome from anyone with an extensive online gaming community.
#15 Posted by IxX3xil3d0n3XxI (1508 posts) -

This pretty much. I play LoL, DotA is a completely different beast. Like imagine not only having to relearn another 60+ champs as you did in LoL, but the shop, gold, and stat systems are all different. I personally stick with LoL cause i dont want to invest 50-100 hrs in it just to become viable.
#16 Posted by Stream_Beta (352 posts) -

Dota2 has a very high learning curve but it does not have a high compeitive curve. Majority of people you will be matched

with are going to be around your level. If you understand LoL you will understand Dota2 in no time. Just watch a few "Learn Dota" videos,

and read a basic article on the game and you'll be fine. Just find hero guides when you play a match and you'll do just fine.

The competitive nature of the game isn't as bad as you might think or what others say. I was really afriad to play anything put bot games until my friend got me to play a real match against real people and what I learned is that.....a lot of people suck, I wasn't a noob as I once thought.

#17 Posted by AzKorGaming (8 posts) -
DOTA2 is definitely worth a try if you are into lol. I personally started out on lol and it only took a few weeks to get competent at DOT2, just learn to last hit, that's pretty much it. Its basically a more challenging mans lol :P
#18 Posted by MBirdy88 (8999 posts) -
It is far superior to LoL, give it a crack, learning curve is harsh though so beware.
#19 Posted by Priapus101 (190 posts) -

I have been playing DotA for a long time (dating back to WC3 RoC) and the game is quite incredible. It does have a bit of a learning curve (especially with the number of heroes currently available) but do not let that deter you. Word of advice, find people to play with as this game becomes depressing sometimes when continually playing solo.

#20 Posted by SerOlmy (1801 posts) -
I'll rephrase. You will have an easier time learning EVE with zero prior experience than you will DOTA2. The learning curve is basically a straight vertical line... covered in butter... with bits of broken glass in the butter... and someone about a foot above you keeps zapping you with a cattle prod every time you make progress.
#21 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -

I have been following GameSpot Australia's DOTA2 Diaries lately so it might be something for you to check out before jumping into the game.

Here's what they have so far, excerpt:

=========

Dota 2 Diaries: Part 1
We cover the basic mechanics of the game and the importance of last-hitting/denying.

Dota 2 Diaries: Part 2
Donkeys, runes, and our very first hero kill are just some of the exciting things that happened in episode two of the Dota 2 Diaries.

Dota 2 Diaries: Part 3
Zorine throws Ed into his first five-versus-five co-op bot match, and with a little help from their friends, attempts to teach him about what it means to work and communicate effectively in a team. How many times will he let them down?

Dota 2 Diaries: Part 4
In an effort to teach by showing, Zorine plays a match against unfair bots while answering a wealth of community questions without fully realising what she's getting herself into.

=========

I'm a huge fan of League of Legends so DOTA 2 looks very appealing. :)

#22 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

Being an avid LoL player, jumping into Dota 2 wasn't all that difficult mechanically, as last hitting is just as important as ever, with the added deny mechanic as well, which is essentially last hitting your own creeps to "deny" the other hero gold.

The mechanics to me felt identical, the true challenge from Dota comes from the lack of knowledge of the heroes, the lack of what viable item build paths to go, the lack of knowledge about the jungle, and the general adjustment period of a new interface which felt in general, really clunky imo.

If you are mechancally sound at MOBA games, jumping into Dota you should at least stand a chance; until the opposing hero hits level 6 and unleashes an impressive ultimate that wipes you instantly.

Dota 2 is really fun though, when servers go down on LoL my friends and I always hop right on to Dota 2.

#23 Posted by _VenomX (1614 posts) -

It really is worth to try. As a former dota player when I picked up Dota 2 I really liked it alot and everything has been improved compared the the first dota. After playing acouple of games I gave HoN and LoL a try to see what makes the difference between the both. HoN is a solid competitive game but didn't really appeal to me. On the other hand LoL is just too boring for me to continue playing after 5 games.

I've played with people who played LoL and gave Dota 2 a chance and they said the game is hard to learn but it's really fun compared to LoL.

#24 Posted by whitey_rolls (2503 posts) -
I'll rephrase. You will have an easier time learning EVE with zero prior experience than you will DOTA2. The learning curve is basically a straight vertical line... covered in butter... with bits of broken glass in the butter... and someone about a foot above you keeps zapping you with a cattle prod every time you make progress. SerOlmy
Don't agree with this at all, EVE is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY harder to figure out than Dota 2. Go to youtube, look up "Purge Plays" watch like 2 videos and you have the jist on how to get started. It will still take you 100 hours before you probably know what you are doing to any degree but you can still play. With EVE you could literally sit in your ship and not know how to move for hours, it's way harder to figure out.
#25 Posted by MBirdy88 (8999 posts) -
[QUOTE="SerOlmy"]I'll rephrase. You will have an easier time learning EVE with zero prior experience than you will DOTA2. The learning curve is basically a straight vertical line... covered in butter... with bits of broken glass in the butter... and someone about a foot above you keeps zapping you with a cattle prod every time you make progress. whitey_rolls
Don't agree with this at all, EVE is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY harder to figure out than Dota 2. Go to youtube, look up "Purge Plays" watch like 2 videos and you have the jist on how to get started. It will still take you 100 hours before you probably know what you are doing to any degree but you can still play. With EVE you could literally sit in your ship and not know how to move for hours, it's way harder to figure out.

True, but purge is pretty damn average himself.... so many wrong things with different characters.
#26 Posted by Zorine (1757 posts) -

Pretty much echo what most people in this thread have said. If you play LoL you obviously know how the basic mechanic of these kind of games work. That being said, you won't be a complete noob in DOTA 2 if you wished to start. I recommend giving it a bash, seeing what you think after a few games. You can play bot games till your comfortable with pub matches, but be prepared to do your research.

#27 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
Definitely should give it a try. Dota 2 and LoL are different in their own ways but I haven't gone back to LoL since I started DOTA 2.
#28 Posted by SerOlmy (1801 posts) -
[QUOTE="whitey_rolls"] Don't agree with this at all, EVE is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY harder to figure out than Dota 2. Go to youtube, look up "Purge Plays" watch like 2 videos and you have the jist on how to get started. It will still take you 100 hours before you probably know what you are doing to any degree but you can still play. With EVE you could literally sit in your ship and not know how to move for hours, it's way harder to figure out.

Actually back when EVE had a decent tutorial a few years ago I had the hang of targeting, movement, combat, mission running, etc... enough to function and even move up into the Corvette classes in about ~15 hours of play time. I stand by my statement. DOTA2 learning curve is leaps and bounds beyond EVE. At least in EVE you can learn to function and be successful running missions or mining or trading in about 20-30 hours. and as you stated I would put DOTA2 at a minimum of about 100 hours just to not get ridiculed off every pub server. The atmosphere is so toxic I made it about 5 hours in before uninstalling and never going back.
#29 Posted by spittis (1875 posts) -
and as you stated I would put DOTA2 at a minimum of about 100 hours just to not get ridiculed off every pub server. The atmosphere is so toxic I made it about 5 hours in before uninstalling and never going back.SerOlmy
A bit exaggerated IMO. If you're new to Dota 2 (or even MOBAs in general), watch or read a couple of tutorials about the most basic things like last hitting, denying, controlling groups, lane control, runes. Then decide on a beginner friendly hero (a few examples would be Ursa, Juggernaut, Viper, Sniper, Windrunner, Tidehunter) and play one or two bot matches with it. Just stick with this one or maybe two heroes and learn their item builds and tactics through a build guide on dotafire.com When you have gotten a slightly better feel for it and roughly know how to play, start with pubs.
#30 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Why don't you just try it and find out for yourself? You already have the game, it's not like you're losing anything.

#31 Posted by SaintSatan (955 posts) -

LoL is an action strategy game.

DotA is a strategy action game.

Knowing the difference could save your life.

#32 Posted by GD1551 (9645 posts) -

As far as I'm aware in LoL almost every hero can carry if it wants to (my knowledge of LoL is very limited). DOTA on the other hand, heroes have a certain effectiveness during certain times of the game, some heroes fade as mid game approaches, others shine in mid game and some only shine in end game and none can perform every role effectively. Alternatively with deny mechanic laning is much different than in LoL, you can pretty much get destroyed in a lane if it isn't balanced properly. Then there's the whole losing money when dieing thing.... there's alot of smaller mechanics that really add up and make the game different from LoL.