Is Alyx Vance a great female character?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

There are very few well made female characters in games.  Most male characters are boring cliches too, but this applies to female characters, moreso, IMO.  Compared to most female characters in games, Alyx is a great character, but on an overall level, she's a good character but not much more than that. 

I definitely like how Alyx was not sexualized as many female characters are, with nudity or exagerrated breasts, and the like.  She's noticeably feminine, but she's not stereotypically feminine, and she's mostly a human being rather than just a woman.  Of course, the gaming industry has set the bar so low, we often feel like it deserves an accolate whenever they make a woman who is just a human being rather than a sex object.  This is what you're supposed to do; you don't get an award for doing what you're supposed to do.

Alyx is in many ways a nerd fantasy girl.  You could compare it to the girls in Dead or Alive who are only there to sexually arouse you, but take out the sex part and replace it with a more innocent-girlfriend type of companionship.  It's a less primal and more noble type of arousal but Alyx was still made to arouse the player.  She easily throws herself upon the player, solely to make the player feel good about himself or loved.

Missing are any complex dillemmas or moral issues or practically anything that troubles her as a character, because she's perfect, and she's yours.  Doctor Breen, Judith Mossman, G-Man and even Kleiner and Eli have complexities or character flaws to them, which Alyx doesn't despite probably having the most screen time. 

Still, overall.  Good character, well above the average female character, but not a gold standard.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58380 Posts

Yes, she is one of the best in my opinion.  She is attractive not just physically, but emotionally as well, without being oversexualized (though she has a nice ass, and her half-black, half-asian thing really does wonders for me).

She is also smart, an ass kicker, sometimes witty, and likes pets.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Juliet Starling from Lolipop Chainsaw.

-Byshop

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

-Byshop

Byshop
lol shes definatly great, but yeah alyx is the one of the best that comes to mind, lara from the reboot comes a very close second. but i do love me some Miranda from mass effect....dat ass
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

-Byshop

Djmaster214

lol shes definatly great, but yeah alyx is the one of the best that comes to mind, lara from the reboot comes a very close second. but i do love me some Miranda from mass effect....dat ass

I was actually being very sarcastic. I wouldn't name a character from a Suda 51 game when trying to think of positive female role models.

-Byshop

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

[QUOTE="Djmaster214"][QUOTE="Byshop"]

-Byshop

Byshop

I was actually being very sarcastic. I wouldn't name a character from a Suda 51 game when trying to think of positive female role models.

-Byshop

lol as was i , i forgot to make that identifiable XD i still like her as acharacter though
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Byshop  Moderator

Alyx Vance in HL3 (Half Life 2 Episode 2 spoilers):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAPExr7BEyI

-Byshop

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59071 Posts

She wears cloths. She is attractive yet not victoria secret "im a babe in tranformers the movie" model attractive. She is about the only half black-half Asain character I am aware of. She has a great voice actor and seems like a fairly tangible person. So yea, easily one of the best.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#9 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Not sure I would say Alyx is there to arouse the player. She proves herself early by rescuing you when you are being chased by combine. She shows fear when exposed to the Stalkers in Ep 1 (and end of HL2). She's completely torn up at the end of Ep 2. She provides humor, like making zombie noises in the dark. Ep 1 sees Gordon shine the torch and Alyx shoot zombies. Despite Judith being a traitor, she allows her to watch over her father - showing us that she can forgive. She shows affection for DOG, a telling clue that she has hope despite the atrocities going around her.

In my opinion, she is the best AI companion in any video game to date.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Byshop  Moderator

She wears cloths.uninspiredcup

Like what kind of "cloths"? Loin cloth? Shammy cloth? Does she wear a ShamWow?

-Byshop

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

She wears cloths.Byshop

Like what kind of "cloths"? Loin cloth? Shammy cloth? Does she wear a ShamWow?

-Byshop

That was really funny.

- Bla

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#12 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

"She easily throws herself upon the player, solely to make the player feel good about himself or loved." 

When? 

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

"She easily throws herself upon the player, solely to make the player feel good about himself or loved." 

When? 

biggest_loser

When she gives you a hug in episode 1, something that apparently means she wants the d.

It can't just be she's glad you're alive, nope she HAS to be throwing herself at you. Makes perfect sense.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 uninspiredcup

She never actually  made any romantic advances towards the player from what i remember. She shows she cares e.g. putting her face against a window and hugging the player but nothing otherwise sexual has been shown.

It's not like  Halo with a girl computer basically naked to make the 14 year olds feel like cool bad dudes.

Alpha_S_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Alpha_S_
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

Yes, she's considered one of the best female video game characters for a reason.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Alyx is cool....but Lara is still my favourite (especially the younger prequel one)

d

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Yes. One of the best.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
I dont get the fascination with Alyx. She was flat in every imaginable way. but that sums up the cast of half-life in a nutshell. She did nothing special, pretty emotionally flat until the end of ep2, had to save her quite often. Pretty damn stereotypical to me, not saying shes a "good female character" just because she is showing less skin. ridiculous.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]I dont get the fascination with Alyx. She was flat in every imaginable way. but that sums up the cast of half-life in a nutshell. She did nothing special, pretty emotionally flat until the end of ep2, had to save her quite often. Pretty damn stereotypical to me, not saying shes a "good female character" just because she is showing less skin. ridiculous.

Did u play HL2 at launch?
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 uninspiredcup

Pretty damn stereotypical to me, not saying shes a "good female character" just because she is showing less skin. ridiculous.MBirdy88

Nope. It's right. This is halflife, not some bad animoo game.

slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts
Alex is a great female character. I also enjoyed Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite. No, she wasn't as good as Alyx, but I really enjoyed seeing which way her character evolved through out the game. She had some good quality moments IMO.
harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts

Alyx Vance is always awesome, I just started TLoU yesterday and would say the girl in that game is approaching the awesomeness of Alyx. Her downside is she is not much of a fighter, but her personality is top notch and makes the game that much better.

John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts
Best compared to other Big boobies with implants :P
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#24 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Alyx Vance is always awesome, I just started TLoU yesterday and would say the girl in that game is approaching the awesomeness of Alyx. Her downside is she is not much of a fighter, but her personality is top notch and makes the game that much better.

harrisi17

Don't worry. That changes :P 

Great game.  

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mrbojangles25

Alyx is cool....but Lara is still my favourite (especially the younger prequel one)

d

FelipeInside

Having just finished the newest Tomb Raider, I must agree...prequel Tomb Raider Lara Croft is simply amazing.  I was really cheering for her the entire time, and not just because I was playing her lol.

there was this one part where you go back the your ship Endurance towards the end of the game to get something, and you fight this big pirate, and he call you a "little rat" and she replies "come find out what this little rat can do" or something like that, and I dont know...it just really showed the progress she made.  Scared little college graduate to a boasting, brave warrior.  

It wasn't a huge deal or a big exchange in the game between two characters, but it was just something I enjoyed.

So yeah, Alyx Vance for making video game heroines more than one-dimensional, realistic, and attractive on more than a physical level. And Lara Croft (reboot/prequel) for taking one of the original "babes" and giving her a story and personality, and turning her into a girl and woman we can care about.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="harrisi17"]

biggest_loser

Great game.  

TLoU?

harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

[QUOTE="harrisi17"]

mrbojangles25

Great game.  

TLoU?

The Last of Us, can't wait for work to end so I can hit it up again tonight, god I'm bored.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

Great game.  

harrisi17

TLoU?

The Last of Us, can't wait for work to end so I can hit it up again tonight, god I'm bored.

is that on PC?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#29 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

[QUOTE="harrisi17"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

TLoU?

mrbojangles25

is that on PC?

lol nice joke there :D
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Pretty damn stereotypical to me, not saying shes a "good female character" just because she is showing less skin. ridiculous.uninspiredcup

"Oh gordon, your my only hope, I make you feel good, do very little throughout the entire game and just praise you to high heaven" .... please. she was FLAT. how the hell is she compared with the new Lara or Elizabeth or anything? And Felip what does "launch" have to do with it? and yes I did. never had any attachment to her because she did nothing. she really was just there as a token female.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Pretty damn stereotypical to me, not saying shes a "good female character" just because she is showing less skin. ridiculous.MBirdy88

"Oh gordon, your my only hope, I make you feel good, do very little throughout the entire game and just praise you to high heaven" .... please. she was FLAT. how the hell is she compared with the new Lara or Elizabeth or anything? And Felip what does "launch" have to do with it? and yes I did. never had any attachment to her because she did nothing. she really was just there as a token female.

She was there mostly as a guide and someone who would talk to contrast Gordon who never does. If you think she is "flat" that's fine but most people and critics disagree with you. The launch thing was due to the fact that back then there wasn't character development like her in FPS games.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#32 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Alyx is one of the best female characters of all-time.
Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

I love her.  She's probably the best female game character honestly.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
Why the best "female" character ? Cant she be a great character in general ?
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

Great game.  

harrisi17

TLoU?

It was good, but Naughty Dog needs to work on the gameplay mechanics for all their games because they can and do get you killed constantly.
_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

All that is playing in my head from this post is M saying "le cheif"

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 uninspiredcup

"Oh gordon, your my only hope, I make you feel good, do very little throughout the entire game and just praise you to high heaven" .. MBirdy88

With in the first 20 minutes of Halflife 2 she saves the players life. In episode 1 she is your only source of a weapon for several sections. In episode 2 she snipes and assits the player. Not sure if you are trying to be cool or what not but... well, fact is your wrong. Valve are masters of pacing and character interaction.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#38 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

An overly affectionate and preoccupied female character whose function consists of boosting the male player's ego. So no.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FelipeInside

An overly affectionate and preoccupied female character whose function consists of boosting the male player's ego. So no.

DraugenCP
Most of the time she's defending and saving ur ass so I don't know how that boosts the male player's ego...
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#40 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

FelipeInside
Most of the time she's defending and saving ur ass so I don't know how that boosts the male player's ego...

I like that DraugenCP is thinking out of the box, but most games whether you play as a man or woman consists of characters with ego. Actually, when you are playing any game, you are suppose to be God-like. It's the only time you are in a fantasy world where you can shoot, kill, resurrect, heal, blunder people to death lol.. and the list goes on. I think it's beyond ego at that point hahaha. ;)
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

Elann2008

I like that DraugenCP is thinking out of the box, but most games whether you play as a man or woman consists of characters with ego. Actually, when you are playing any game, you are suppose to be God-like. It's the only time you are in a fantasy world where you can shoot, kill, resurrect, heal, blunder people to death lol.. and the list goes on. I think it's beyond ego at that point hahaha. ;)

Was she a tad sicafantic towards Gordon? Yeah, but nearly all of the characters in HL2 confident in Gordon beyond explanation, up to and including Louis Gossett Jr's Vortigaunt character. I never really got why everyone in the HL2 universe thought this mute protagonist-via-victim-of-circumstance was so awesome, but that's the suspension of disbelief you have to buy into with the HL universe.

For me, Alyx felt like a great character because her dialog, animation, mannerisms, and voice acting all made her feel more like a real person than you see with other games. This was a strong point for HL2 in general. While Alyx was a well written character, I felt like the gameplay mechanics helped to reenforce her realism and likability as well. In HL2, during the non-combat scenes it really felt like the characters were having a real conversation with each other and with you in the ways they moved and looked at you, and during the combat scenes they still moved and communicated well and were not completely useless. Compare this to a game like Skyrim where it's like there are soulless, robot mannequins bumping into walls and each other and making random statements at you. How many times have you seen a great cutscene that introduces some interesting character, only for that suspension of disbelief to be shattered by terrible AI once you start exploring the game world with them?

Another factor that might make Alyx seem more interesting is the blank slate of a player character that she served as a foil for. The bulk of her interaction is with silent Gordon so there's no character for direct comparison. 

All that being said, I still this she's a great character, but I also think that there are other aspects of the game that helped to elevate how interesting she is beyond how she's written.

-Byshop

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 uninspiredcup

hose function consists of boosting the male player's ego.

DraugenCP

Thats usually the point of games in general.