Interesting thing about upgrading and money on computers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 ncderek
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
so think about it for a minute, its going to be different for every person, it makes ya think about worthyness

i bought a computer for 1900 2.5 years ago, you multiply that to days and divide.. i forget what i got but it was like 3 bucks a day or something. is it worth it yes? but some peopel upgrade every 6 months. you divide it out, some people are puting like 20 bucks into their computer a day...

i just bougth a new one for about 770, a great deal for what i got in my sig, hopefully i get more out of it then 3 bucks a day.

how much are you guys spendinga day doing this and do you think its all worth it?
A-S_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 A-S_FM
Member since 2004 • 2208 Posts
the thing to realise that for the kinds of people who dump lots of money into their computers, their computers aren't just a lifestyle accessory, but a life - i'm sure there'll be no shortage of people who want to call me a loser and say "you have no life", whatever that means, but my life pretty much revolves around gaming and my computer

i do plenty of other things, usual, you know, but my pc is the centrepiece - so without even considering how much it costs me, yes - it damn well is worth it

but for the record, i've spent a total of £3150 over the last 2190 days, which works out at £1.40 a day - and that has allowed me to more or less stay on the technological speartip of pc gaming for the last six years - obviously that just extends to hardware

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78b683675c5
deactivated-5d78b683675c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 deactivated-5d78b683675c5
Member since 2007 • 3161 Posts

not only are you paying for the computer, you pay for internet service, the games you play, and whatever other computer expenses. so just on internet service and games that adds a couple hundred dollers depending on the type of internet service and amount of games you buy. 

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Indeed, like say i was really into cars before, people put like $100,000 into some cars. That would probably be more than enough for upgrading your PC throughout your entire life. It just depends on what you want and what you get out of it. You don't spend your money on worthless crap, only what you love.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#7 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
probably $2-3 a day but I'm going to start upgrading smart, next upgrade should give last me as long but be cheaper in the long run.
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

The main thing is ur passion / love for a hobby , gadgets , personal interest etc.

People like spending most on their favourite passion .

Incase of harcore gamers they spend much on P.C , games , consoles etc. Coz they love games the most.

bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bigmit37
Member since 2004 • 4043 Posts
It's an expensive hobby...but for some reason I really don't mind upgrading my computer...

I use my computer for a lot of things....maybe that's why.

But at the moment, I have no money...so no upgrades for me...though I don't really have time to play games either.
ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ElectricNZ
Member since 2007 • 2457 Posts
My last pc, p4 3.0ghz fx5700 1gb ddr400, would be $1.50 USD a day, lasted me quite a while... I think this pc I have now will last longer.
iphigenie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 iphigenie
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I used to upgrade something every 2-3 months - keeps it steady that way. But that doesn't work anymore, not if the industry has its say, introducing new incompatible slots and formats every 2 years to force us to upgrade things that actually didnt need upgrading I'm stuck because my next upgrade will actually require me to upgrade: mobo, processor, silent cooler, memory, drives, graphics card, PSU when the only one I would really want to upgrade is the graphics card... I cant get a better agp card than i have, so i have to switch to pci-e - that means new mobo and processor too, cause nobody does pci-e mobos for a 3.2Ghz Athlon. They don't support DDR so new ram chips (and i have 2 gig that work fine and dont need replacing) and most of those also no longer do IDE drives... And of course this all suddenly needs 700W and that gets very costly if like me you like your PCs silent! So at the moment I am not updating. There's plenty of great games that I still can play. many which I have missed, and that could keep me going for a long while. Especially since many of the "most awaited" games this year seem to have as the main reason "look at how it looks"... Could spend the graphics card money on a console to get some of the "latest" games and not feel too left behind. And next year I might just go for a nice high end laptop instead, by then they'll have flash memory based primary partitions and be super fast... And that would be more "green" as well, save me electricity bills... Am I really the only gamer who thinks that 250W for a graphics card alone is ridiculous?
Jagg3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Jagg3d
Member since 2007 • 773 Posts
Right now I'm down to 6$/day for my rig I bought last summer.  Like has been stated here, I spend enough time on computers everyday to pretty much make any purchase worth it
V_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 V_V
Member since 2003 • 221 Posts
Mine i bought for around $1200 5 years ago :P But i've definately gotten my money out of it, i'm still using it today :P
ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 ncderek
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
oh im not complaining, i was just seeing what other people thought about it when you look at it that way. i think the dollars is worth it, but i know some people have 15 dollars a day if you do it like that perspective, and some have less than 1