intel lied.. haswell is misleading

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]No, he's a piece of shit and an idiot.

GummiRaccoon

Negatory.  What's with the Jay Leno hate?

1) bad human being

2) not funny

How is he a bad human being?  I think he's hilarious.  Also has pretty good taste in cars.  

#52 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13630 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Negatory.  What's with the Jay Leno hate?

hartsickdiscipl

1) bad human being

2) not funny

How is he a bad human being?  I think he's hilarious.  Also has pretty good taste in cars.  

Unless you are laughing at his chin, I dunno what else is funny about him.

Whether he has good taste in cars doesn't mean they are valid investments (which they aren't)

#53 Posted by darksusperia (6943 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

1) bad human being

2) not funny

GummiRaccoon

Whether he has good taste in cars doesn't mean they are valid investments (which they aren't)

yes, cause buying certain cars that only increase in value is a bad investment...
#54 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

1) bad human being

2) not funny

GummiRaccoon

He makes funny jokes.  I like his type of humor most of the time.  It's more clever and insightful than most of the other idiots on TV.  

About the cars as investments-  Have you seen some of the cars that he has?  Most of them continue to increase in value.  

#55 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13630 posts) -

I feel like I am arguing with a bunch of people with ID.  

For regular people, a car is an expense, not an investment, even a car that increases in value (classic cars, etc).  In order for a car to not have opportunity cost, it would have to appreciate in value higher rate than that of inflation.

For those of you who buy new cars: you are awful with money.

Financing a car is even worse.

Furthermore, you cannot consider something an investment if there is no guaranteed market for it.  

If Jay Leno went into bankrupcy tomorrow, and had all his assets liquidated, he would end up losing money on nearly every vehicle that he owns, making his cars not an investment but a hobby.

#56 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

For regular people, a car is an expense, not an investment, even a car that increases in value (classic cars, etc).  In order for a car to not have opportunity cost, it would have to appreciate in value higher rate than that of inflation.

Furthermore, you cannot consider something an investment if there is no guaranteed market for it.  

If Jay Leno went into bankrupcy tomorrow, and had all his assets liquidated, he would end up losing money on nearly every vehicle that he owns, making his cars not an investment but a hobby.

GummiRaccoon

Let's see..  In 1967, a Shelby GT500 would cost you about $4,200.  Now they go for over $200,000 at auction.  $4,200 from 1967 equals about $30,000 today.  Does that cover inflation for you?  He has dozens of cars that have appreciated in value so much that it FAR outweighs inflation.  Even if he paid $60,000 for such a car 15 years ago, he is still in great shape.   

I don't know if you're familiar with how frequently high-end auto auctions are held, but I am.  Having a market would be a non-issue considering the specific models that he owns.  

Buying new cars makes sense for some people.  We are in a market where 2-3 year old used cars are often only 15-20% less than the same car new.  I know because I've shopped very recently.  Not only are you getting a car with zero miles on the odometer (or damn close), but you have a full warranty if almost anything breaks for at least 60,000 miles.  Now compare that to a car that is already halfway through it's factory warranty when you buy it, and is only a few thousand dollars cheaper to purchase.  I've owned plenty of used cars.  If you get lucky, it can be a good purchase.  If you don't, you'll wish you had a new one.  

#57 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13630 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

hartsickdiscipl

Let's see..  In 1967, a Shelby GT500 would cost you about $4,200.  Now they go for over $200,000 at auction.  $4,200 from 1967 equals about $30,000 today.  Does that cover inflation for you?  He has dozens of cars that have appreciated in value so much that it FAR outweighs inflation.  Even if he paid $60,000 for such a car 15 years ago, he is still in great shape.   

I don't know if you're familiar with how frequently high-end auto auctions are held, but I am.  Having a market would be a non-issue considering the specific models that he owns.  

Buying new cars makes sense for some people.  We are in a market where 2-3 year old used cars are often only 15-20% less than the same car new.  I know because I've shopped very recently.  Not only are you getting a car with zero miles on the odometer (or damn close), but you have a full warranty if almost anything breaks for at least 60,000 miles.  Now compare that to a car that is already halfway through it's factory warranty when you buy it, and is only a few thousand dollars cheaper to purchase.  I've owned plenty of used cars.  If you get lucky, it can be a good purchase.  If you don't, you'll wish you had a new one.  

Actually arguing in favor of new cars being cheaper invalidates everything else you said.  Good day.

#58 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

Actually arguing in favor of new cars being cheaper invalidates everything else you said.  Good day.

No, it doesn't.  The type of car being purchased is what makes certain used cars great purchases.  I think you know that, and are being obtuse.  Those are exceptions.  Jay Leno so happens to own a bunch of those cars.  For a daily driver, I'll go new if the price difference between that and a 2-3 year-old equivalent car is 20% or less.  Having owned a bunch of cars (6 used and 2 new), I'm speaking from my own practical experience.  Stuff breaks.  It's nice to have a factory warranty to cover when stuff breaks, especially if you drive as much as I do.   

#59 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13630 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

hartsickdiscipl

No, it doesn't.  The type of car being purchased is what makes certain used cars great purchases.  I think you know that, and are being obtuse.  Those are exceptions.  Jay Leno so happens to own a bunch of those cars.  For a daily driver, I'll go new if the price difference between that and a 2-3 year-old equivalent car is 20% or less.  Having owned a bunch of cars (6 used and 2 new), I'm speaking from my own practical experience.  Stuff breaks.  It's nice to have a factory warranty to cover when stuff breaks, especially if you drive as much as I do.   

Having had 8 cars means you are bad at decisions or you are a terrible driver and wreck constantly.

#60 Posted by C_Rule (9758 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

Having had 8 cars means you are bad at decisions or you are a terrible driver and wreck constantly.

You don't think it's time to concede defeat?
#61 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13630 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

C_Rule

You don't think it's time to concede defeat?

Because wasting money needlessly is a great idea?

#62 Posted by kraken2109 (13127 posts) -

This is now a car thread.

#63 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

"Bad at decisions."'

Or it could just mean that I like cars and have managed to make it work with my finances.  Maybe I'm so good with money that I can make it work with a modest income.  Did you think of that?

#64 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23675 posts) -

amazing thread

#65 Posted by Marfoo (5994 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

hartsickdiscipl

"Bad at decisions."'

Or it could just mean that I like cars and have managed to make it work with my finances.  Maybe I'm so good with money that I can make it work with a modest income.  Did you think of that?

Come on guys, this isn't a thread about how to intelligently manage your money. People spend their money on whatever the hell they damn please end of story, get over it. Back on track, yes?

#66 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Marfoo

"Bad at decisions."'

Come on guys, this isn't a thread about how to intelligently manage your money. People spend their money on whatever the hell they damn please end of story, get over it. Back on track, yes?

Tell it to the other guy.  

#67 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13630 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

hartsickdiscipl

"Bad at decisions."'

Modest income

8 cars

Not bad at decisions.

lol

#68 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

"Bad at decisions."'

Modest income

8 cars

Not bad at decisions.

lol

8 different cars.  I never owned more than one at the same time.  You have no idea what you're talking about.  What a sad human being.  

#69 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13630 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

"Bad at decisions."'

hartsickdiscipl

Modest income

8 cars

Not bad at decisions.

lol

8 different cars.  I never owned more than one at the same time.  You have no idea what you're talking about.  What a sad human being.  

Unless you are 60, having owned 8 cars is irresponsible.

#70 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Modest income

8 cars

Not bad at decisions.

lol

GummiRaccoon

LOL!  You have no friggin idea what my life has been like, how much money I started with, how I got the cars, or anything else.  I hope you're joking.  

#71 Posted by FaustArp (1038 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

hartsickdiscipl

LOL!  You have no friggin idea what my life has been like, how much money I started with, how I got the cars, or anything else.  I hope you're joking.  

I'm surprised you even bother to keep responding to him. :P
#72 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

FaustArp

I'm surprised you even bother to keep responding to him. :P

You're right.  I need to stop feeding the troll.  

#73 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13630 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

hartsickdiscipl

Is this the part where you tell us you had 8 $500 beaters?

#74 Posted by superclocked (5834 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

hartsickdiscipl

Your post reminded me of that episode :P
#75 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6070 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

I recently purchased a car, Mazda 6, v6 with 220hp, 5 speed manual.  Car itself had 196000km on it, and cost me $3000 including tax.  I paid $120 for new battery, $85 for a new ignition switch, $200 for papers and plates, $450 for some used OEM rims plus tires.  Plus another $30 for oil change, and another $30 to swap the tires.  Total I spent so far is close to $4000.  Im thinking of getting rust proofing done on the under side that will cost me another $50 or so per year.  Insurance is going to cost me $240 a month and this car also drinks gas like no tomorrow, so say another $240 for gas.  

Every time I feel like trading it in for a econo box, but can't because it looks so damn sexy.  Why do I spend so much money on this car?  Because its crazy fun to get around town in this ride.

#76 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

this thread has become wonderful :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAItNOdr1Y04gRrpNzK4X

and before anyone rails at me a little

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCAwSqN12ZTnaVl8PSCEG

#77 Posted by Aldouz (1203 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="FaustArp"]

I have no idea what that has to do with CPUs...

C_Rule

Your cognitive ability is minus, thus your judgement on what constitutes terrible is questionable.

So someone who buys a Bugatti is not allowed to say; a Prius is shit?

#gummilogic

Agree Lol
#78 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

That depends.  Would that shut you up?

#79 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13630 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

hartsickdiscipl

nope

#80 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

nope

So you will continue your uneducated assertiions no matter what?  How many video cards have you had?

#81 Posted by commander (8218 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

hartsickdiscipl

nope

So you will continue your uneducated assertiions no matter what?  How many video cards have you had?

He's probably playing on his grandfathers old computer, playing streetfighter II
#82 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13630 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

hartsickdiscipl

nope

It's not uneducated, you are wasting your own resources that you could use to build wealth for your family in the future.

Voodoo rush, voodoo 3,radeon 7500, 9700pro, HD 4650, 6950

Only upgraded when my video card didn't cut it.

In the F@H thread you can see my post on the first page, I was perennially the user here that had one of the worst computers that was still able to game.

I also only buy things with my extra money after everything else has gone into investments, IRA, etc.

#83 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

nope

GummiRaccoon

It's not uneducated, you are wasting your own resources that you could use to build wealth for your family in the future.

In the F@H thread you can see my post on the first page, I was perennially the user here that had one of the worst computers that was still able to game.

I also only buy things with my extra money after everything else has gone into investments, IRA, etc.

You upgraded when your video card didn't cut it for what?  What were your needs?  You should have been more responsible and frugal.  How many shirts do you have?  Surely you could do with less.  How much do you spend on food?  I'm sure that's not necessary.  Here, let me show you how irresponsible you have been.  

Anyways...

Money is for spending.  Otherwise it's just a piece of paper.  That's not to say that I don't have some savings.  Right now I'm doing fine.  I have never been late on or missed a payment, and I have more than enough to cover my needs and reasonable wants.  My experience with cars is that you can either pay for a newer, more reliable car, or you can pay for repairs more and more as a used one gets older outside of warranty.  Pick your poison.  I drive a lot for both work and pleasure, so the miles are going to pile up.  Driving is also a hobby and a pleasure for me.  I used to drag race semi-professionally as well.  

I don't have any children to save money for.  I'm not sure that I will ever have children.  I'm not married.  That means that my money is mine, and do as I please with it.  Have fun with your investments and accumulation of wealth.  I've never seen a U-Haul behind a hearse.

#84 Posted by commander (8218 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

nope

GummiRaccoon

Going from a hd 4650 to a hd 6950 tells me you had some money problems at one point in your life :D
#85 Posted by FaustArp (1038 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

hartsickdiscipl

You upgraded when your video card didn't cut it for what?  What were your needs?  You should have been more responsible and frugal.  How many shirts do you have?  Surely you could do with less.  How much do you spend on food?  I'm sure that's not necessary.  Here, let me show you how irresponsible you have been.  

Anyways...

Money is for spending.  Otherwise it's just a piece of paper.  That's not to say that I don't have some savings.  Right now I'm doing fine.  I have never been late on or missed a payment, and I have more than enough to cover my needs and reasonable wants.  My experience with cars is that you can either pay for a newer, more reliable car, or you can pay for repairs more and more as a used one gets older outside of warranty.  Pick your poison.  I drive a lot for both work and pleasure, so the miles are going to pile up.  Driving is also a hobby and a pleasure for me.  I used to drag race semi-professionally as well.  

I don't have any children to save money for.  I'm not sure that I will ever have children.  I'm not married.  That means that my money is mine, and do as I please with it.  Have fun with your investments and accumulation of wealth.  I've never seen a U-Haul behind a hearse.

LMAO  :lol:

Why are you still arguing with this troll?  :P

#86 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6070 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

hartsickdiscipl

Anyways...

indeed , just ignore gummi.  Enjoy your life, make your money and blow it on whatever the FUK u feel like.  As you said, your not taking anything in your life beyond the grave.

#87 Posted by FaustArp (1038 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

blaznwiipspman1

Anyways...

indeed , just ignore gummi.  Enjoy your life, make your money and blow it on whatever the FUK u feel like.  As you said, your not taking anything in your life beyond the grave.

You'd think that somebody whose avatar is a walking stick-figure deformed penis with arms and legs, hand-drawn by a retarded adolescent ape, would know what he was talking about...

#88 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

Anyways...

FaustArp

You'd think that somebody whose avatar is a walking stick-figure deformed penis with arms and legs, hand-drawn by a retarded adolescent ape, would know what he was talking about...

LMFAO

#89 Posted by superclocked (5834 posts) -
"Walking stick-figure deformed penis with arms and legs..." :lol:
#90 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13630 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

hartsickdiscipl

Anyways...

Classic pleb mentality.

#91 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13630 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

evildead6789

Going from a hd 4650 to a hd 6950 tells me you had some money problems at one point in your life :D

I stopped gaming regularly for a while

#92 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13630 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

FaustArp

Anyways...

LMAO  :lol:

Why are you still arguing with this troll?  :P

says the guy that bought 2 titans

#93 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13630 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

blaznwiipspman1

Anyways...

For someone that upgraded from a 2600k to a 3770k that sounds like post purchase justification to avoid buyers remorse.

#94 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (1808 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

blaznwiipspman1

I recently purchased a car, Mazda 6, v6 with 220hp, 5 speed manual.  Car itself had 196000km on it, and cost me $3000 including tax.  I paid $120 for new battery, $85 for a new ignition switch, $200 for papers and plates, $450 for some used OEM rims plus tires.  Plus another $30 for oil change, and another $30 to swap the tires.  Total I spent so far is close to $4000.  Im thinking of getting rust proofing done on the under side that will cost me another $50 or so per year.  Insurance is going to cost me $240 a month and this car also drinks gas like no tomorrow, so say another $240 for gas.  

Entwistle

Every time I feel like trading it in for a econo box, but can't because it looks so damn sexy.  Why do I spend so much money on this car?  Because its crazy fun to get around town in this ride.

I'll probably never own or drive a car, can't exactly afford one on $200 a month.
#95 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2598 posts) -

[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

AlexKidd5000

Entwistle

I'll probably never own or drive a car, can't exactly afford one on $200 a month.

my imaginary rx7 will PWN

#96 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

nope

GummiRaccoon

Well, coming from a Financial Background, I hope that isn't traditional IRA. It better be ROTH IRA. :P But with the devastated economic climate of the U.S. and Global economy, you are definitely right that we should be SAVING more. I cut back anywhere I can in the household expenses despite whatever salary I take in. Okay, TMI. But yeah. That's good on your part. Although, spend a little and reward yourself. You only live once. ;)
#97 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13630 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Elann2008

Well, coming from a Financial Background, I hope that isn't traditional IRA. It better be ROTH IRA. :P But with the devastated economic climate of the U.S. and Global economy, you are definitely right that we should be SAVING more. I cut back anywhere I can in the household expenses despite whatever salary I take in. Okay, TMI. But yeah. That's good on your part. Although, spend a little and reward yourself. You only live once. ;)

the benefit of a roth ira over a traditional ira is that you pay the taxes up front at your current tax rate with a roth ira.  You typically do this when you are younger and presumably in a lower tax bracket.  With a traditional ira you pay taxes when you withdraw the money at whatever tax bracket your are in then, however, you can only contribute to a roth ira under a certain income which I am currently just under.

#98 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

the benefit of a roth ira over a traditional ira is that you pay the taxes up front at your current tax rate with a roth ira.  You typically do this when you are younger and presumably in a lower tax bracket.  With a traditional ira you pay taxes when you withdraw the money at whatever tax bracket your are in then, however, you can only contribute to a roth ira under a certain income which I am currently just under.

I didn't doubt what you were doing. Just saying haha. Glad people still save money nowadays. I always lecture my family members but they aren't having it, which I understand with their mentality, but whatever it's their life haha.
#99 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6070 posts) -

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"][QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

Entwistle

_SKatEDiRt_

owning a car is not that expensive...you can get a decent condition used car for under $4000.  The only things you need to worry about is filling up gas, plus insurance. Once in a while making sure the car is in good running condition is also a must.

Insurance depends on location, but in the USA , auto insurance is generally much cheaper than in most parts of Canada.  I always laugh when Americans call insurance costing $800 an year expensive.  Here in Toronto, $8000 an year for a new driver is typical.  

#100 Posted by kraken2109 (13127 posts) -

[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"] I'll probably never own or drive a car, can't exactly afford one on $200 a month.blaznwiipspman1

owning a car is not that expensive...you can get a decent condition used car for under $4000.  The only things you need to worry about is filling up gas, plus insurance. Once in a while making sure the car is in good running condition is also a must.

Insurance depends on location, but in the USA , auto insurance is generally much cheaper than in most parts of Canada.  I always laugh when Americans call insurance costing $800 an year expensive.  Here in Toronto, $8000 an year for a new driver is typical.  

$8000 a year? What is that for? Like a 17 year old boy in a Lamborghini? I'm in the UK and my first year of insurance was £1200 on a 1.2 Corsa.