Installing Windows 7 upgrade on a new hard drive?

#1 Posted by JangoWuzHere (15992 posts) -

I have a copy of windows 7 upgrade edition. I just bought a new SSD and want to reformat and transfer to my new hard drive. Can I do this with an upgrade edition, or do I have to buy another copy of Windows?

#2 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15885 posts) -

You better have an old copy of XP or Vista installed on it first. No need to activate either one. Then install Win 7 upgrade.

Otherwise, get an OEM version of Win 7 (the full version at $99.99 at newegg.com, not upgrade)

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (29132 posts) -

You can do a full install with the upgrade disk without an OS already installed.

Did it tons of time already

#4 Posted by kitty (114443 posts) -

Moved this to a more appropriate board :)

#5 Posted by FelipeInside (25153 posts) -

You can do a full install with the upgrade disk without an OS already installed.

You can but it's the key that matters.

If it's an upgrade key, after the install it will detect as a full install and not activate.

#6 Posted by MonsieurX (29132 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

You can but it's the key that matters.

If it's an upgrade key, after the install it will detect as a full install and not activate.

I have an upgrade key and never had a single problem this way

#7 Posted by JangoWuzHere (15992 posts) -

You better have an old copy of XP or Vista installed on it first. No need to activate either one. Then install Win 7 upgrade.

Otherwise, get an OEM version of Win 7 (the full version at $99.99 at newegg.com, not upgrade)

I only have an OEM version of windows xp. Will that work?

#8 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15885 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I only have an OEM version of windows xp. Will that work?

So long as the Windows 7 Upgrade disc detects an OS on the hard drive, you're fine.

#9 Posted by ferrari2001 (16736 posts) -

I've installed Windows 7 upgrade without a CD key, then installed windows 7 upgrade over the windows 7 upgrade using a cd key and that's seemed to work.

#10 Posted by Cyberdot (3510 posts) -

Install an older OS on it such as XP and Vista, then install Windows 7 Upgrade edition. It will need to be able to detect an OS existing on the hard drive.

#11 Edited by kraken2109 (12963 posts) -

I used my upgrade disc and had no problems doing a full install on my SSD.

#12 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15885 posts) -

I used my upgrade disc and had no problems doing a full install on my SSD.

If it's Windows 7, MS probably relaxed the rules. They usually do when there's a newer Windows version. I'm still using my 2009 OEM Windows 7 on a PC with a new motherboard and CPU.