Installing STEAM to different Hard Drive

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f93995c29447
deactivated-5f93995c29447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f93995c29447
Member since 2005 • 2063 Posts

I just obtained and inserted a brand new, Terebyte hard drive in my PC. It is time for me to insert STEAM into the hard drive so I can enjoy mods, Gmod, and stuff in all it's infinite glory.

... But wait, there is a problem!

All my game installations within STEAM move into my old, and highly dated 60 GB Hard Drive when I install them. So I thought that, maybe, uninstalling it and installing it again can allow me to move the program into my new hard drive during it's installation process. My thoughts were not exact.

So, puting it blantly, how do I install games into my new hard drive? And if it involved installing STEAM into the new hard drive, how do I do that?

Thanks lads!

Pessu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Pessu
Member since 2007 • 944 Posts
When you install steam it will ask you where you want to install it.
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

If you're wanting to move your Steam games over to a new HDD without reinstalling the games themselves, just about the only thing you can do is:

1) Navigate to your "steamapps" folder on Steam's current drive. By default, it'll be located at something like: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps" if you're on Vista, and "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps" if you're on XP.

2) Copy that "steamapps" folder over to the new hard drive. It doesn't matter where really, just find a temporary location for it on the new HDD.

3) Uninstall Steam.

4) Reinstall Steam on to the new HDD.

5) Move the backed-up "steamapps" into your new "Steam" folder, on the new HDD.

6) Now when you start up Steam at its new location, Steam should automatically verify all of the games you copied over and activate them accordingly.

G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts
Just keep in mind that some games (like Half-Life 2) will need to decrypt themselves again, but that shouldn't take long.