Increasing Graphics Card Memory

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Maverick6575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Maverick6575
Member since 2012 • 230 Posts

I was looking through my card setting, and it says three things:

• Minimum Graphics Memory: 64 MB
  • Maximum Graphics Memory: 1696 MB
  • Graphics Memory In Use: 79 MB

What do all of these mean? If my maximum memory is so high, why is my memory in use so low? Is it because it's an Intel IGM card? If that's not why, is there any way I can increase it?

My Computer:

• Lenovo B570 Laptop
  • Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.10 GHz Processor
  • Intel HD Graphics (IGM)
  • 4 GBs RAM
  • Windows 7 x64 bit
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
If that's an onboard graphics card it means it's using your RAM Memory, so it will use more or less depending on the load balance.
Maverick6575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Maverick6575

Is there a way to configure the load balance? If so, what's the best balance for optimal gaming performance? Not looking to make it run games at the highest graphics settings, just want them to be a little smoother.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside

Is there a way to configure the load balance? If so, what's the best balance for optimal gaming performance? Not looking to make it run games at the highest graphics settings, just want them to be a little smoother.

Maverick6575
No, it's all automated on the motherboard. If you want ur games to run smoother, you need a better graphics card. That card isn't meant for gaming, just home and office use. You need a gaming card.
Maverick6575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Maverick6575

I'd get a new one, but from what I've been told, the Intel card is soldered into the motherboard, so I'd need a new motherboard too. Is this true, or can I just upgrade the graphics card?

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

I'd get a new one, but from what I've been told, the Intel card is soldered into the motherboard, so I'd need a new motherboard too. Is this true, or can I just upgrade the graphics card?

Maverick6575
You need to replace the CPU, not the motherboard. The GPU and CPU are on the same chip.. You need a socket PPGA988 (G2) CPU. You can get an i7, i5, or i3 CPU, all with HD 3000 GPU's. An i7 + HD3000 is about $150 on eBay. The i3 + HD 3000 is only about $75...
Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

^ He's using a laptop.

So no, you cannot do anything.

Hm, or maybe you can. It wouldn't be worth the money though.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 superclocked

^ He's using a laptop.

So no, you cannot do anything.

Hm, or maybe you can. It wouldn't be worth the money though.

Postmortem123
He can easily replace the CPU.. And buying a new CPU would save him a few hundred dollars. He has the worst cpu and gpu made for his socket, so the G2 socket i7 for $150 would be a huge leap in performance. Hell, the i3 has the same GPU as the i7, and it's only $75...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Personally I don't think aHD 3000 is worth a few hundred dollars, but whatever, it's up to him.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 superclocked

Personally I don't think aHD 3000 is worth a few hundred dollars, but whatever, it's up to him.

Postmortem123
Oo.. I said that a G2 i3-2330M + HD 3000 only costs $75.. It would save him several hundred dollars...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

-shrug- It costs like £170($270) here from what I can see, so it depends where he's from.

Maverick6575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Maverick6575

(I'm from the US)
So the way to upgrade my graphics is to upgrade my processor, and the HD 3000 graphics card will just run from that?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside

(I'm from the US)
So the way to upgrade my graphics is to upgrade my processor, and the HD 3000 graphics card will just run from that?

Maverick6575
Just to clarify, are u on desktop or laptop? - If on a desktop, you can upgrade everything in it - If on a laptop, your out of luck since you can only upgrade the RAM or Hard Drive
Maverick6575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Maverick6575

Laptop. That sucks. You sure there's absolutely nothing I can do, even if I replace the motherboard too?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside

Laptop. That sucks. You sure there's absolutely nothing I can do, even if I replace the motherboard too?

Maverick6575

You can't replace the motherboard on a laptop.

There are people that will tell you you can buy a USB Video Card Caddy, or solder a new video card but trust me, it ain't worth the cost and risk.

The laptop you have ISN'T a gaming laptop, fact.

Your next step now is either to buy a gaming desktop (recommended) or a gaming laptop.

Maverick6575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Maverick6575

I've been looking into building a gaming desktop. It's be easier and cheaper to just buy a 360 or a PS3.

What's a USB Video Card Caddy? Is it a USB device to plug a video card into? If so, what's the price range?

And how dangerous would it be to my laptop to unsolder the HD 3000 and solder in an Nvidia?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

And how dangerous would it be to my laptop to unsolder the HD 3000 and solder in an Nvidia?

Maverick6575

You can't. There's nothing that would support or recognize the Nvidia chip, and there's nowhere to put it anyway.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside

I've been looking into building a gaming desktop. It's be easier and cheaper to just buy a 360 or a PS3.

What's a USB Video Card Caddy? Is it a USB device to plug a video card into? If so, what's the price range?

Maverick6575
Buying a console is easier, but you get less graphics, longer loading times and barely any mods or MMOs. Also don't be fooled, a console ISN'T cheaper than a gaming desktop once you take into consideration how long consoles last (they die more often than you think), consoles games are more expensive and you get things like Steam Sales on PC. You don't have to build ur own PC either, just go into a reputable computer shop and get them to build you one. (or a friend who know what he's doing). The USB Video Card thing, trust me, forget about it. It's not meant for gaming anyway.
Maverick6575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Maverick6575

The USB Video Card thing, trust me, forget about it. It's not meant for gaming anyway.

Neither is my laptop. Couldn't make it worse

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside

Maverick6575

The USB Video Card thing, trust me, forget about it. It's not meant for gaming anyway.

Neither is my laptop. Couldn't make it worse

You don't understand. That laptop is not worth spending money on cause you'll never get it to act as a strong gaming laptop. save the money towards a new computer.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

There is nothing you can do to magically make a laptop with an integrated gpu game well.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 superclocked
[QUOTE="Maverick6575"]

(I'm from the US)

FelipeInside
Just to clarify, are u on desktop or laptop? - If on a desktop, you can upgrade everything in it - If on a laptop, your out of luck since you can only upgrade the RAM or Hard Drive

He can easily upgrade the CPU/GPU in his laptop...
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
That's assuming the motherboard's bios even accepts the new cpu. I wouldn't bother.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 superclocked
The bios will definitely handle an i3 or i5 (Datasheet). $50 - i3-2310m g2 $110 - i5-2410m g2 Replacing the laptop with one that has a similar CPU and screen size would cost $600+, so I would just replace the CPU personally. I linked to CPU's specifically listed as being supported on the datasheet.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="superclocked"]The bios will definitely handle an i3 or i5 (Datasheet). $50 - i3-2310m g2 $110 - i5-2410m g2 Replacing the laptop with one that has a similar CPU and screen size would cost $600+, so I would just replace the CPU personally. I linked to CPU's specifically listed as being supported on the datasheet.

Replacing a CPU on a laptop isn't easy for someone that is a beginner in PC-Land. Might be easy for you but not everyone knows how to do it. He's safer getting a new laptop or desktop.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="superclocked"]The bios will definitely handle an i3 or i5 (Datasheet). $50 - i3-2310m g2 $110 - i5-2410m g2 Replacing the laptop with one that has a similar CPU and screen size would cost $600+, so I would just replace the CPU personally. I linked to CPU's specifically listed as being supported on the datasheet.

Replacing a CPU on a laptop isn't easy for someone that is a beginner in PC-Land. Might be easy for you but not everyone knows how to do it. He's safer getting a new laptop or desktop.

Changing a laptop cpu can be easier than changing a desktop. On my np8130 it is, same for my vostro 1310.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="superclocked"]The bios will definitely handle an i3 or i5 (Datasheet). $50 - i3-2310m g2 $110 - i5-2410m g2 Replacing the laptop with one that has a similar CPU and screen size would cost $600+, so I would just replace the CPU personally. I linked to CPU's specifically listed as being supported on the datasheet.

Changing a laptop cpu can be easier than changing a desktop. On my np8130 it is, same for my vostro 1310.

???? What are you people on? Can I have some...?
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Replacing a CPU on a laptop isn't easy for someone that is a beginner in PC-Land. Might be easy for you but not everyone knows how to do it. He's safer getting a new laptop or desktop.

It depends on the laptop On my np8130, there's just one big panel to access all the components. Just unscrew the cpu fan, then unscrew the heatsink, change cpus, thermal paste, done. Same idea for my vostro 1310.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] Changing a laptop cpu can be easier than changing a desktop. On my np8130 it is, same for my vostro 1310.

It depends on the laptop On my np8130, there's just one big panel to access all the components. Just unscrew the cpu fan, then unscrew the heatsink, change cpus, thermal paste, done. Same idea for my vostro 1310.

That's pretty good for that laptop. I was more generally speaking. Some are really hard to get to. With a desktop it's just a side panel.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
For a beginner, building a PC tower is scary enough. Getting someone to tear open their laptop might be too much.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

laptops really arent that much harder to work on.

Maverick6575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Maverick6575

I've been doing a lot of research, and I'm nnot too worried about actually replacing anything. I just want to make sure I can upgrade it. I'm not looking to make it a big graphics powerhouse. Just something that'll let me run things at more than low graphics (and be able to run BF3 at low. Bought it when it was on sale for $10 but it doesn't run).
So, nobody has actually answered this... Si the way to upgrade my laptop's performance is to upgrade my CPU, and becasue the Intel HD Graphics runs off the proccessor, it'll boost my graphics a bit?

Also, some of you have been talking about motherboard ccompatability. If I do upgrade the CPU, I want to upgrade it to a quad-core. Will this motherboard be able to run a quad core? And if it can, will it be able to run an AMD, becasue they're much cheaper than Intel

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FelipeInside

I've been doing a lot of research, and I'm nnot too worried about actually replacing anything. I just want to make sure I can upgrade it. I'm not looking to make it a big graphics powerhouse. Just something that'll let me run things at more than low graphics (and be able to run BF3 at low. Bought it when it was on sale for $10 but it doesn't run).
So, nobody has actually answered this... Si the way to upgrade my laptop's performance is to upgrade my CPU, and becasue the Intel HD Graphics runs off the proccessor, it'll boost my graphics a bit?

Also, some of you have been talking about motherboard ccompatability. If I do upgrade the CPU, I want to upgrade it to a quad-core. Will this motherboard be able to run a quad core? And if it can, will it be able to run an AMD, becasue they're much cheaper than Intel

Maverick6575

Yes they have, even I have about 5 times already.

Here it is one more time:

SAVE THE MONEY you are going to spend on that thing, which is not worth touching, and buy a good gaming laptop or desktop. You can keep that laptop as a spare.

Maverick6575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Maverick6575

I don't want to spend that much money on a gaming laptop or desktop.

And please, a simple yes or no

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside

I don't want to spend that much money on a gaming laptop or desktop.

And please, a simple yes or no

Maverick6575
All I can do is recommend the best course of action, which is a new computer. If you want to keep trying to optimize that laptop, ur wasting ur time, my time and ur money. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to save u money and time. You say you don't want to spend that much money, well.... I don't want to spend $1500 to upgrade my 4 year old desktop, but I know I will have to next year. As for ur question, it can't take AMD and Intel, it's either one or the other.
Maverick6575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Maverick6575

I upgrading this laptop because I have no money to buy a new gaming laptop or desktop. I'm a student without a job. I'm trying to keep it somewhat low cost until I get a job, then I will start looking into getting a gaming PC.

So it will take AMD? I didn't mean that I want to run 2 CPUs. I just wanted to know if my motherboard could run an AMD if I choose to upgrade my CPU.

Will my motherboard be able to run a quad core processor?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FelipeInside

I upgrading this laptop because I have no money to buy a new gaming laptop or desktop. I'm a student without a job. I'm trying to keep it somewhat low cost until I get a job, then I will start looking into getting a gaming PC.

So it will take AMD? I didn't mean that I want to run 2 CPUs. I just wanted to know if my motherboard could run an AMD if I choose to upgrade my CPU.

Will my motherboard be able to run a quad core processor?

Maverick6575

I understand ur situation, trust me I've been there, but my point still stands, not worth spending a dime on it.

But to answer ur question, according to the Datasheet that superclocked posted, the mainboard can handle an i3 or i5. Go i5 for gaming, don't worry about quad cores or dual cores.

No, it won't take an AMD.

NOTE: I'm just going off the datasheet superclocked posted. You might want to ring the company to make sure.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JigglyWiggly_

The hd3000 is 20-50% faster.

Is it worth it? Probably not

Can his laptop handle a 2630qm? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-i7-2630QM-Quad-Core-2-nd-Generation-2-00GHz-6M-5-0GTS-SR02Y-/110951257160?pt=CPUs&hash=item19d535d448 I'd just get that

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]The hd3000 is 20-50% faster. Is it worth it? Probably not, but the nice cpu Can his laptop handle a 2630qm? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-i7-2630QM-Quad-Core-2-nd-Generation-2-00GHz-6M-5-0GTS-SR02Y-/110951257160?pt=CPUs&hash=item19d535d448 I'd just get that

According to datasheet it only handles up to an i5.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 superclocked
The datasheet only shows which CPU's that the laptop shipped with. The Hardware maintanence manual says that the laptop can handle a 2nd gen (Sandy Bridge) quad core i7, but they pull a but more power than the dual core CPU's. The dual core CPU's are 35w, and have the same GPU (HD 3000) as the i7, so I would just go with one of those, just to make sure that your motherboard VRM's don't overheat...
free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41 free_milk
Member since 2011 • 3903 Posts

Why would you upgrade the cpu anyway?You wont be able to game with an intergrated graphics card.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FelipeInside

Why would you upgrade the cpu anyway?You wont be able to game with an intergrated graphics card.

free_milk
He wants to upgrade both CPU and GPU.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
If you want to play PC games but arent willing to save up for a desktop then PC gaming maybe isnt for you. Because honestly FelipeInside has gave you the best advice and you dont seem to listen, you cant really do anything with that laptop to make it good for gaming, end of.
Maverick6575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Maverick6575

It can run most games fine, just on low graphics (Like Skyrim). I just want to be able to bumb up thsoe graphics a little bit, and be able to play GPU demanding games at least on low (BF3 and Metro 2033).

I want to take FelipeInside's advice, but like I said, I'm a student and I don't the money to save up for a desktop. As soon as I get a job, I'm going to look for a desktop.

I don't care if it's a waste of money, I just want something that'll hold me off until I'm in the right position to buy a desktop

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JigglyWiggly_

If you want to play PC games but arent willing to save up for a desktop then PC gaming maybe isnt for you. Because honestly FelipeInside has gave you the best advice and you dont seem to listen, you cant really do anything with that laptop to make it good for gaming, end of.V4LENT1NE
since when did being a pc gamer have anything to do with graphics?

people who play on pc for graphics are the baddies.

free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46 free_milk
Member since 2011 • 3903 Posts

It can run most games fine, just on low graphics (Like Skyrim). I just want to be able to bumb up thsoe graphics a little bit, and be able to play GPU demanding games at least on low (BF3 and Metro 2033).

I want to take FelipeInside's advice, but like I said, I'm a student and I don't the money to save up for a desktop. As soon as I get a job, I'm going to look for a desktop.

I don't care if it's a waste of money, I just want something that'll hold me off until I'm in the right position to buy a desktop

Maverick6575

World of warcraft is all you need :P and minecraft and tf2 (then your sorted till you get a job.Those games arent demanding at all)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"]If you want to play PC games but arent willing to save up for a desktop then PC gaming maybe isnt for you. Because honestly FelipeInside has gave you the best advice and you dont seem to listen, you cant really do anything with that laptop to make it good for gaming, end of.JigglyWiggly_

since when did being a pc gamer have anything to do with graphics?

people who play on pc for graphics are the baddies.

He didn't say that, re-read his post. He meant that if ur into PC Gaming, you will need to spend money for upgrades and stuff. And what's wrong with liking good graphics, it can easily be one of the reasons one plays on PC. I definitely choose PC for a variety of reasons, one of them being that it just has better graphics than consoles. @Maverick: can you at least afford a console until you save up for a desktop? It will be a much better investment that taking apart that laptop.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JigglyWiggly_

He said that if you aren't willing to pay.

I know people who play quake live with like pentium 4's at 2ghz or don't even know their specs and play fairly good.

Also it's not just quake live gamers living in the past.

I think every cs player who is good (pro or w/e)

plays at 4:3, or at least when I see offcam footage.

random garbag below:

[spoiler]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSW_b5j_Tsc&feature=my_favorites&list=FLUTVRxG9CkcFb_ITr8Q6G3w

neo plays at 640x480, my personal fav cs player

spawn plays at 640x480 as well

and cyx is dead

=/

Though if you watch random neo clips, his reactions make me look slow. -.-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOOBy-i4vFU&t=70s

if you guys want you can check your reaction times

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1926188

I usually average .190, but I vary a lot. Zubin says he can do .160

cheatar

though compared to ql gamers, my reactions tend to noticibly faster. Faster than fatal1ty, etc.

cs pro gamers tend to have the fastest reaction times, which makes sense since you die quickly and don't really need to aim as much compared to ql, cs is more twitchy

[/spoiler]

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FelipeInside

He said that if you aren't willing to pay.

I know people who play quake live with like pentium 4's at 2ghz or don't even know their specs and play fairly good.

Also it's not just quake live gamers living in the past.

I think every cs player who is good (pro or w/e)

plays at 4:3, or at least when I see offcam footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSW_b5j_Tsc&feature=my_favorites&list=FLUTVRxG9CkcFb_ITr8Q6G3w

neo plays at 640x480, my personal fav cs player

spawn plays at 640x480 as well

and cyx is dead

=/

Though if you watch random neo clips, his reactions make me look slow. -.-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOOBy-i4vFU&t=70s

JigglyWiggly_

Not everyone plays on PC for CS Live and Quake.

Stop thinking they are the only 2 games that exist. And stop using each chance u get to post gameplay footage of u playing, no one clicks them anyway.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JigglyWiggly_

There isn't a single clip of me playing
tbh I wish that was footage of me playing

They're better than me. Well at cs anyway. Also I don't play 1.6, I just can appreciate the amount of talent that goes into it.

Though I'd love to 1v1 spawn to see how I'd do in like a small map. (I was in CAL, for like a week when I was 13 in CSS, until they realized I was 13 rofl)

I am just pointing out that there is a difference between a casual pc gamer person who cares about graphics.

Hardcore pc gamers don't even care what their specs and only care about being good.

Do you think spawn/neo/qlplayer really cares about his pc hardware?

Black powa(spawn is black)

So basically, no you don't have to care about your pc to be a pc gamer.