This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by failout5 (5 posts) -
So I have recently bought a reletively good PC, and I was wondering how to increase my FPS. I play games like Far Cry 3, BioShock Infinite, Grand Theft Auto IV, CoD,... Specs: ASRock H77 Pro 4-M (Motherboard) Intel Core i5-3470 (CPU) EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SuperClocked (GPU) Corsair DDR-3 (2x2) 4GB 1600-kit (RAM) Cooler Master GX450 Bronze (Power Supply) Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo ( CPU Fan) And a HDD of 500GB
#2 Posted by lostrib (37587 posts) -

So I have recently bought a reletively good PC, and I was wondering how to increase my FPS. I play games like Far Cry 3, BioShock Infinite, Grand Theft Auto IV, CoD,... Specs: ASRock H77 Pro 4-M (Motherboard) Intel Core i5-3470 (CPU) EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SuperClocked (GPU) Corsair DDR-3 (2x2) 4GB 1600-kit (RAM) Cooler Master GX450 Bronze (Power Supply) Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo ( CPU Fan) And a HDD of 500GBfailout5

turn down the AA

#3 Posted by kraken2109 (13070 posts) -

[QUOTE="failout5"]So I have recently bought a reletively good PC, and I was wondering how to increase my FPS. I play games like Far Cry 3, BioShock Infinite, Grand Theft Auto IV, CoD,... Specs: ASRock H77 Pro 4-M (Motherboard) Intel Core i5-3470 (CPU) EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SuperClocked (GPU) Corsair DDR-3 (2x2) 4GB 1600-kit (RAM) Cooler Master GX450 Bronze (Power Supply) Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo ( CPU Fan) And a HDD of 500GBlostrib

turn down the AA

+1, 660 should play everything fine as long as you're using 4XAA or less.
#4 Posted by failout5 (5 posts) -

[QUOTE="failout5"]So I have recently bought a reletively good PC, and I was wondering how to increase my FPS. I play games like Far Cry 3, BioShock Infinite, Grand Theft Auto IV, CoD,... Specs: ASRock H77 Pro 4-M (Motherboard) Intel Core i5-3470 (CPU) EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SuperClocked (GPU) Corsair DDR-3 (2x2) 4GB 1600-kit (RAM) Cooler Master GX450 Bronze (Power Supply) Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo ( CPU Fan) And a HDD of 500GBlostrib

turn down the AA

I have it at the lowest
#5 Posted by kozzy1234 (35266 posts) -

Turn AA or resolution down

#6 Posted by lostrib (37587 posts) -

it would probably help if you gave the games you're playing with the settings you're trying to use including resolution, and what is your target FPS

#7 Posted by GarGx1 (2750 posts) -

I've lways founds that shadow quality has a massive impact on a games performance, keep it at medium or low and you'll see a big difference.

Edit : Switch off motion blur as well, I switch that as a matter of principle because I hate it but it can have a detrimental effect on frame rates

#8 Posted by failout5 (5 posts) -

it would probably help if you gave the games you're playing with the settings you're trying to use including resolution, and what is your target FPS

lostrib
Normally, by the 'research' I have done, I should get around 60 FPS all the time in all of the games I mentioned. Apparently not, so that's why I'm wondering what the problem could be.
#9 Posted by Lach0121 (9869 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

failout5

Normally, by the 'research' I have done, I should get around 60 FPS all the time in all of the games I mentioned. Apparently not, so that's why I'm wondering what the problem could be.

Have you ruled out it being a driver issue?

Also only 450 watt bronze rated PSU?  that is pushing it! With only 360-370w to work with.

#10 Posted by failout5 (5 posts) -

[QUOTE="failout5"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

Lach0121

Also only 450 watt bronze rated PSU?  that is pushing it! With only 360-370w to work with.

I have the latest drivers (320.00) for my GPU. As for the PSU, at almost every site I asked, including EVGA itself, they said it could run perfectly with 450W.
#11 Posted by Lach0121 (9869 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

[QUOTE="failout5"] Normally, by the 'research' I have done, I should get around 60 FPS all the time in all of the games I mentioned. Apparently not, so that's why I'm wondering what the problem could be.failout5

I have the latest drivers (320.00) for my GPU. As for the PSU, at almost every site I asked, including EVGA itself, they said it could run perfectly with 450W.

I wouldn't so easily rule out the 450w psu as not being the problem in this particular case.

Were they meaning it would run fine on 450watts, or where they meaning it would work fine with a 450watt psu.  Even a platinum series 450watt will not give you all 450watts of power.

Also what about your +12v rating on the PSU, is it adequate for the GPU that you have?

Also even if you have the latest drivers, there can still be issues on install for them. 

Try basic troubleshooting steps.  Revert drivers, or at the very least download the current ones. (save the download) uninstall what you got, then re-install wiht the new download file. 

#12 Posted by kraken2109 (13070 posts) -

Use MSI Afterburner to check GPU usage and clock speeds.

#13 Posted by thequalityplay (3 posts) -
Here is a mod hat boost your Far cry 3 Perfromance: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/734789-Ultra-Low-Configuration-Mod
#14 Posted by QuitLying (4 posts) -
In the EVGA or NVIDIA forums there is a sticky thread about things to do to improve your FPS. Quite a few things non GPU related.
#15 Posted by lostrib (37587 posts) -

for far cry 3, turn down the post processing, or turn it off (edit game files)

#16 Posted by asifsaj (24 posts) -
To increase fps on your games, just turn down the graphics settings, such as textures, shading, resolution, etc.
#17 Posted by sukraj (23032 posts) -

turn down the AA

#18 Posted by punkpunker (3321 posts) -

no mentioning of V sync? turn it off

#19 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -

Here is a mod hat boost your Far cry 3 Perfromance: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/734789-Ultra-Low-Configuration-Modthequalityplay
Of course a game will run better on Low settings...

TC - in-game(s): turn off motion blur, turn off AA,

In the nvidia control panel set Ambient Occlusion off, set AA to Application Controlled, set Transparent AA to off, set "Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames" to 1, set Power Management to "Prefer Maximum Performance", and set Threaded Optimization to On. You can set vsync in the control panel to Use 3D Application Setting.

These are the main things I do with my GTX 560, and I run 1920x1080 - as long as the game supports it.