Improving your typing speed?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xXCombatWombat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 xXCombatWombat
Member since 2009 • 1529 Posts

I have a slight dilemma Gamespotters and I think its something you guys could help me with. I'm trying to increase my typing speed and use better techniques when typing. I know that there is a proper way to do it without having my hands move all over the keyboard and instead have my wrists be stationary.

Are there any good YouTube channels/tutorials you guys recommend to get better at this vital skill?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Yes, start writing alot on this forum :D I'm an expert already with the amount of posts I did.

Aside that there's a game called The Typing of the Dead you need to write the words fast - each letter is a bullet

if you don't want to spend any money on it and want something cool as a game, there's a flash browser based clone for you to play for free: Typocalypse

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

http://play.typeracer.com/

This is good too.

Chat with your friends through typing. Don't try to type so fast that you start making lots of mistakes, backspacing a lot can wastes seconds.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

You don't have to use any type of typing method. I type around 130-140wpm and I only use my index finger for my right hand and pinky for enter.

There's 10fastfingers if you want to sperg on that, but I think just everyday typing will help build your speed.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Get a mechanical keyboard, it will help.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

Yes, start writing alot on this forum :D I'm an expert already with the amount of posts I did.

Aside that there's a game called The Typing of the Dead you need to write the words fast - each letter is a bullet

if you don't want to spend any money on it and want something cool as a game, there's a flash browser based clone for you to play for free: Typocalypse

Came to say The Typing of the Dead too. Pick that up on Steam ASAP!

FishinTheSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 FishinTheSalt
Member since 2011 • 39 Posts

Mavis Beacon teaches typing. Fast as heck now,

http://download.cnet.com/Mavis-Beacon-Teaches-Typing-17-Deluxe/3000-2051_4-10441764.html

adamfortgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By adamfortgo
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Here, the information on how to improve the typing speed http://www.ratatype.com/learn/

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

I can help. Ready?

1.) Get yourself a raging case of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder.)

2.) When you hear words -- multiple times throughout the day...hundreds even -- think of the corresponding locations of the letters making up said word on your keyboard. This can even work on license plates while you're driving if you want to go balls-deep into the dementia.

3.) When you find a word that has just as many letters on the left side as the right side, that is a symmetrical word on your typewriter. As any OCD patient will tell you -- symmetry and ritual are the meanings of life. So, go "Yaaaaaaaaay! Yaaaaaay!"

You will be the fastest typer in the world after just these 3 simple tips. It took me 1.5 seconds to type this message derp.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

It just takes a whole lot of practice. I don't even think about letters when I type anymore. I just type the word. First, you need to learn the home row, and then work from there until you know where all of the letters are without looking. Then you just need to chat a whole bunch or write a lot. Once you are good, you will only get better every day.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#12 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Play "The typing of the dead" . That game improved my typing speed in the most fun way possible.

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

@FishinTheSalt said:

Mavis Beacon teaches typing. Fast as heck now,

http://download.cnet.com/Mavis-Beacon-Teaches-Typing-17-Deluxe/3000-2051_4-10441764.html

this is how i learned how to type lol. writing papers is another way to improve your speed.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

My typing style is a bit irregular. I type with my whole left hand but mostly with only the index finger on my right hand. It's what I got accustomed to for some reason. I feel like I could type with less errors if I learn how to type with both hands fully.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

All the games mentioned are great and really fun ways to practice typing. The only problem with them is they are not typing tutor programs, so they don't necessarily teach you typing. It's kind of like going to the gun range to target shoot without ever having taken lessons. The advantage to a program like Mavis is it's designed to actually -teach- you how to type properly. There are plenty of fast, memory-hunt-and-peck-ers who don't use proper home row positioning and can still clear 100WPM (I'm one of them) but typing correctly is still the way to go and if you really want to learn I would recommend a program like Mavis. It starts with the home row and then progressively works its way out to the rest of the keyboard with various excersizes and games (although don't expect anything as fun or over the top as Typing of the Dead). In the end, you have a greater potential speed if you learn to type properly.

-Byshop

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

I've heard about this game before, but I totally forgot about it until your post reminded me. I think I'll to try it since I have thought about wanting to improve my writing skills in preparation for an English class I'm taking next semester. I'm not a very good writer. This short post alone took me 5 minutes to write :P

JohnSantina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 JohnSantina
Member since 2014 • 34 Posts

@xXCombatWombat said:

I have a slight dilemma Gamespotters and I think its something you guys could help me with. I'm trying to increase my typing speed and use better techniques when typing. I know that there is a proper way to do it without having my hands move all over the keyboard and instead have my wrists be stationary.

Are there any good YouTube channels/tutorials you guys recommend to get better at this vital skill?

I desperately need to improve my typing. I literally type with 2 fingers. I can type really fast, but nowhere near as fast as I could.

Playing games with WASD is no problem, but actually typing with all fingers...I turn into a retard.