I'm extremely bored; looking for an extremely immersive game.

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

4-Legged-Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 4-Legged-Shark
Member since 2010 • 1031 Posts

I have a Steam library of 120 or so titles. Recently I have found myself extremely bored with every game I play. So bored, in fact, that I went back and actually played through Crysis 2 just for the DX11 prettiness. That is not to say I enjoyed myself while playing Crysis 2, I just sort of sat there and played it and drooled a little bit- not because the graphics were amazing (and they were to be fair), but because I felt braindead forcing myself through the game's linear structure. 

I went back and tried to play Terraria, a game that I have put almost 200 hours into, and just wasnt feeling it. Same with Minecraft. I own all of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games which I hear are some of the most immersive games around, but I find myself unable to get immersed due to the awful animations and gun/character models. 

I haven't touched The Withcher 2 since it first launched, and I beat the first one a while back. Should I go back and try to get immersed in The Witcher 2?

I'm looking for reccomendations for extremely immersive games, so they don't necessarily have to be RPG's, just anything you have found to be highly immersive. Don't say Skyrim. Please. 

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

dark souls

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

You should try real life. Climb a mountain or something.

ArchDemon123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 ArchDemon123
Member since 2010 • 967 Posts

I have a Steam library of 120 or so titles. Recently I have found myself extremely bored with every game I play. So bored, in fact, that I went back and actually played through Crysis 2 just for the DX11 prettiness. That is not to say I enjoyed myself while playing Crysis 2, I just sort of sat there and played it and drooled a little bit- not because the graphics were amazing (and they were to be fair), but because I felt braindead forcing myself through the game's linear structure. 

I went back and tried to play Terraria, a game that I have put almost 200 hours into, and just wasnt feeling it. Same with Minecraft. I own all of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games which I hear are some of the most immersive games around, but I find myself unable to get immersed to to the awful animations and gun/character models. 

I haven't touched The Withcher 2 since it first launched, and I beat the first one a while back. Should I go back and try to get immersed in The Witcher 2?

I'm looking for reccomendations for extremely immersive games, so they don't necessarily have to be RPG's, just anything you have found to be highly immersive. Don't say Skyrim. Please. 

4-Legged-Shark
I face the same problem and no game can immerse me actually, but i will suggest you some games first of all, have you tried the complete mod for stalker? it's pretty great and makes the game better the witcher 2 is absolutely worth it and it is in fact one of the games that immersed me the most as of late. now for the suggestions, try mount and blade warband, that game is really immersive and it packs really good fan mods :)
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#5 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

Antichambers recently came out if you're interested in mind bending puzzle solving. 

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

Metro 2033

khanabyss25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 khanabyss25
Member since 2004 • 279 Posts

Path Of Exile will filll your needs

4-Legged-Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 4-Legged-Shark

thanks for the suggestions so far.

As for the first suggestion, I have actually been hiking and working out constantly to try to alleviate my boredom, but the boredom remains. Thanks for the suggestion, though. 

I'll check out the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mods. I remember I had a few in the past and I desperately want to like the STALKER games, so I'll give that another go. Redownloading The Witcher 2 as I type this.

As for Metro 2033, I have put about 100 hours into that game. Definitely one of my all-time favorites. Obviously the atmosphere, graphics, and animations are incredible, but it is the game's attention to miniscule details that I really love. Shooting a thin piece of metal and actually being able to look through the bullet hole isn't exactly something a developer is expected to include in a game. 

FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FaustArp
Member since 2013 • 1036 Posts

I would definitely say The Witcher 2.  Great gameplay and outstanding writing, it's pretty easy to get hung up on that game.  Plus the graphics are great!

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
The Witcher 2, definitely.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

DayZ?

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Path of Exile is sweet, as someone said already. And yeah, try to replay the Stalker games with the complete mods. I wouldn't play them without. Dead Space is quite immersive as well. Haven't got around to Dead Space 2 yet, myself, but I imagine it's similar. Also, if you like competitive multiplayer, Chivalry. First person (or third person, if the server allows) medieval combat. It's amazing. The team objective maps are a blast, and seriously feel like warzones. Oh right. And Dark Souls.

4-Legged-Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 4-Legged-Shark

DayZ?

Riadon2

I played DayZ for a while but I'm holding out for the standalone version now. I loved DayZ, but knowing how much better the standalone will be, I can wait. And speaking of mods.... I  just remembered some of the RP servers on Garry's Mod. As ridiculous as they are, they can provide endless entertainment. Maybe I'll give that another go along with The Witcher 2 and modded STALKER.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#14 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Try the Stalker games again with COMPLETE MOD.
Everyone I know that liked Metro liked Stalker alot to, give it one more chance man.

4-Legged-Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 4-Legged-Shark

Path of Exile is sweet, as someone said already. And yeah, try to replay the Stalker games with the complete mods. I wouldn't play them without. Dead Space is quite immersive as well. Haven't got around to Dead Space 2 yet, myself, but I imagine it's similar. Also, if you like competitive multiplayer, Chivalry. First person (or third person, if the server allows) medieval combat. It's amazing. The team objective maps are a blast, and seriously feel like warzones. Oh right. And Dark Souls.

the_bi99man
I have been playing Chivalry. It is very refreshing to see something new actually being done with competitive multiplayer games. I do feel sorry for my roommates when I'm playing it though, as I am constantly yelling at the game.
4-Legged-Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 4-Legged-Shark

Path of Exile... a friend showed that to me and it seemed like a pretty standard dungeon crawler.... I guess I am wrong about that? 

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Mount & Blade: Warband with the cRPG mod

STALKER with the Complete Mod 

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Try Zeno Clash short(3 hours long) but it has the best melee combat in an fps game very sastifying and visceral with a surprising amount of depth and graphics look so good incredible art style and this was all done in the source engine.  The open world sequel comes out later this year going to be so awesome :D

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/109108730-4.jpghttp://screenshot.xfire.com/s/109967025-4.jpghttp://screenshot.xfire.com/s/109109032-4.jpghttp://screenshot.xfire.com/s/109967283-4.jpg

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I have been playing Chivalry. It is very refreshing to see something new actually being done with competitive multiplayer games. I do feel sorry for my roommates when I'm playing it though, as I am constantly yelling at the game.

Path of Exile... a friend showed that to me and it seemed like a pretty standard dungeon crawler.... I guess I am wrong about that? 4-Legged-Shark

Sounds about right about Chivalry. :P 

As for Path of Exile, the gameplay during any given encounter is pretty standard Diablo style ARPG. It's the underlying systems that make it unique. The skill, item and leveling systems are all very interesting and fresh. Take a quick look at the overview of the game on their website, and maybe read into the more detailed descriptions of the systems after that. Plus, it's free to play, with a deliberate anti-pay2win structure, where optional microtransactions are exlusively for cosmetic items and alterations.

Oh, and another suggestion. Get Black Mesa. Gorgeous recreation of Half Life 1, with redesigned levels, and some of the best music I've ever heard in a game. 

Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

DOTA 2

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts
Deus Ex : Human Revolution is one of the most immersive games I've ever played. The Mass Effect series and Kotor are also pretty good, in my opinion.
Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

In the same boat also and played the hell out of games like Minecraft, terreria, ect..

Might want to try Stronghold kingdoms on steam, I have over 500hrs on it and never spent a penny on it.

Other good timesink games are...

Farming simulator 2013, Guild wars 2, Tropico 4.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
The Darkness, Deus Ex: HR, GTA: IV, FC3, Alan Wake, Dishonoured, Monkey Island.
Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

Deus Ex Human Revolutions. The game will suck you in. 

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Gibsonsg527

got bored in 5 mins

Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gibsonsg527

[QUOTE="Gibsonsg527"]

_SKatEDiRt_

got bored in 5 mins

I fell sorry for you then. You didn't even give the game a try. 

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 _SKatEDiRt_

[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

[QUOTE="Gibsonsg527"]

Gibsonsg527

got bored in 5 mins

okay maybe it was 20 mins. 

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

[QUOTE="Gibsonsg527"]

[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

got bored in 5 mins

_SKatEDiRt_

Unfortunate that you couldn't get into it. But you're just one person. The general consensus about Human Revolution is that it's fun.
_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 _SKatEDiRt_

[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

[QUOTE="Gibsonsg527"] I fell sorry for you then. You didn't even give the game a try. 

Lost-to-Apathy

Unfortunate that you couldn't get into it. But you're just one person. The general consensus about Human Revolution is that it's fun.

actually im pregnant :P

Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gibsonsg527

[QUOTE="Gibsonsg527"]

[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

got bored in 5 mins

_SKatEDiRt_

Thats still nothing. HR is like a 15/20+ hour game. If you don't like the game then thats fine but I think you should atleast play for 2 hours before really judging it. 

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 _SKatEDiRt_

[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

[QUOTE="Gibsonsg527"] I fell sorry for you then. You didn't even give the game a try. 

Gibsonsg527

Thats still nothing. HR is like a 15/20+ hour game. If you don't like the game then fine but I think you should atleast play for 2 hours before really judging it. 

i shall give it a go! 

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

The game I am hooked on now is called: Drakensang: The Complete Saga (1st one, sequel, and, expansion)

If you are bored to death with D & D rules and Diablo clones def check it out.

You could try to find older games you like. I like older games better than the "Omg graphics, upgrade, update, no you can't play"

gg

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#33 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Far Cry 3 isn't an RPG, but it is definitely immersive. FC2 is probably a bit more immersive, but FC3 is an overwhelmingly better game.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Elann2008
I'd also like to mention Neverwinter Nights 2 + MotB. That was a hard game to put down.
WaterSphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WaterSphere
Member since 2012 • 203 Posts
Mass Effect 2.
whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

DOTA 2

Primordialous
I second this - if you can put up with the difficult learning curve to start the game can be very well ... time consuming. I've logged over 500 hours since July myself and a lot of that these days is actually watching it.
Zebracal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Zebracal
Member since 2013 • 56 Posts

What kind of game genre's are you looking into? Do you have specifics that you want to play?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Elann2008

[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

Gibsonsg527

Thats still nothing. HR is like a 15/20+ hour game. If you don't like the game then thats fine but I think you should atleast play for 2 hours before really judging it. 

Speaking of which, Deus Ex Human Revolution Ultimate edition is only $7.50 at GamersGate.com. 

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#39 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

The Witcher 2 is well worth it. And if you're anything like me you'll play through it twice. Back to back.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#40 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="Gibsonsg527"]

[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

_SKatEDiRt_

Thats still nothing. HR is like a 15/20+ hour game. If you don't like the game then fine but I think you should atleast play for 2 hours before really judging it.

i shall give it a go!

The first few hours of Human Revolution suck. But once you hit Hengsha it gets really good and starts to click together. The final level is terrible though. Like, really really really really really so bad it hurts my head that it's that bad. But the rest of the game is great.

4-Legged-Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 4-Legged-Shark

Gibsonsg527
Love that game. I may re-download that as well. Only thing I hated were the boss battles. They felt extremely forced.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Whenever i feel bored and don't particularly want to play a game from my library i just dive right into Chivalry. I can play it for hours on end without even a hint of boredom, it's a blast.

(PS: Sorry if you already commented about this game, i only read the first page of the thread :oops: )

Priapus101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Priapus101
Member since 2010 • 190 Posts

[QUOTE="Primordialous"]

DOTA 2

whitey_rolls

I second this - if you can put up with the difficult learning curve to start the game can be very well ... time consuming. I've logged over 500 hours since July myself and a lot of that these days is actually watching it.

Dota 2 is not for the feint hearted but is overwhelmingly rewarding if you get past the intial barrier. It helps if you have some history with RTS.

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
Spend a little more time with the Witcher, for sure. If you want a new game check out Alan Wake, Dear Esther, or BioShock. I can't believe no one has mentioned that yet...
4-Legged-Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 4-Legged-Shark

now I'm enjoying too many games at once. Big thanks to all of the people who reccomended I give S.T.A.L.K.E.R. another shot. Downloaded the Complete mod and now I think I'm actually beginning to understand what all of the fuss is about. In addition, I'm actually really enjoying The Witcher 2 as well. Also playing Chivalry, Borderlands 2 (for the PhysX, not really a Borderlands person), and Dead Space 3 for the surround sound. Getting back into Battlefield 3 as well... this is a bit of a problem, as I am playing way too many games at once, but I think it's a good problem to have. 

panndemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 panndemic
Member since 2013 • 39 Posts
I'd recommend Amnesia, though I highly doubt you will come back alive after playing it.
4-Legged-Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 4-Legged-Shark

^Beat Amnesia back when it first came out. Played the Penumbra games as well. Going back to Amnesia might not be a bad idea though. 

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#48 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

I just got finished playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I found it a hugely immersive representation of a techno-future gone awry. There were more than a few nods to Blade Runner in it and if you know how atmospheric that film is, you'll have some idea of the atmosphere of the game.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#49 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Condemned Criminial Origins Skyrim The Walking Dead Far Cry 3
infofrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 infofrog
Member since 2012 • 231 Posts
I'd recommend Amnesia, though I highly doubt you will come back alive after playing it.panndemic
I love this game . A good break from fast pace games