I'm buying a brand new computer. Help Bros?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

STTShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By STTShadows
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JYCnXL

That's where I'm at now. I'm ordering everything from Amazon because I live in Hawaii currently and they will rape me in Shipping if I order anywhere else. (I have free shipping from Amazon).

Should I add or remove anything? Do I need a sound card or am I okay without one? Do I need an Optical Drive? I am a complete computer idiot, so I really have a very basic understanding of all of this.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@sttshadows:

You are such a liar lol, your not a noob, there's no mistakes.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

@sttshadows: A couple of questions.

Why did you choose 2 keyboards?

And why did you pick 4x4GB and you didn't pick 2x8GB so you can always add an other 16GB laterz? Not to mention that you choose 1,65V for just 2133...

You also choose a 6ms monitor while with $20 more you can choose a 1ms-2ms monitor.

edit: About the SSD. I would choose the Crucial MX100 256GB at $111.99, since 840 EVo seems to have some problems lately...

Samsung 840 / 840 EVO susceptible to flash read speed degradation over time

Samsung recognizes the seriousness of any potential degradation of read performance on old data. We are testing and validating the circumstances that potentially cause this performance drop and will work diligently to resolve the issue.

Otherwise pretty solid system.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

That is a crap psu, try buying something at least twice the price or you risk killing your pc in the future

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@napo_sp said:

That is a crap psu, try buying something at least twice the price or you risk killing your pc in the future

PSU is fine

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@sttshadows said:

That's where I'm at now. I'm ordering everything from Amazon because I live in Hawaii currently and they will rape me in Shipping if I order anywhere else. (I have free shipping from Amazon).

Should I add or remove anything? Do I need a sound card or am I okay without one? Do I need an Optical Drive? I am a complete computer idiot, so I really have a very basic understanding of all of this.

It looks like my build with different case, isn't it?

STTShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By STTShadows

@Coseniath:

How's this one? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97gaming5

@napo_sp:

Predator Rules made most of this build for me.

@GTR12:

Uhh, I didn't notice that I had two keyboards selected. I think that they're a combo or something because one of them is not displaying a price? I dunno. I took the one I didn't want off. I'll check out the RAM again too. Thanks for the tips.

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

I'd spent more money on the PSU instead of the CPU cooler, but that's me.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GeryGo  Moderator

@sttshadows said:

I KNEW IT! =)

@sttshadows said:

About optical drive, It's 2014, most things people shop online, including OS - I got my OS isntalled on 8Gb flash drive, if you still buy CDs then ok go and install optical drive it's only 20$.

No need in sound card at all, I got a 60$ Asus mobo and my onboard soundcard kicks ass, I think a gaming one like I've suggested to you would have even better one installed.

Don't listen to Napo, the PSU is fine - if you have spare money to throw at go ahead and buy premium PSU with Gold or Platinium branding, I had my my last rig for 5 years a Thermaltake PSU and everything worked fine and the PSU was still alive.

About the memory thing @Coseniath at that time it was the cheapest, so I picked that one (can't remember why I picked 16Gb, I usually don't do that unless TC is asking for something special)

BTW if you're ordering everything for Amazon I'll make you a new build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WQV9nQ If you don't plan on OC the CPU you could save about 130$, might get you 2 GPUs.

I picked up a better monitor (IPS one).

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Coseniath
@sttshadows said:

@Coseniath:

How's this one? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97gaming5

@napo_sp:

@GTR12:

Uhh, I didn't notice that I had two keyboards selected. I think that they're a combo or something because one of them is not displaying a price? I dunno. I took the one I didn't want off. I'll check out the RAM again too. Thanks for the tips.

Haha, I think you are confused.

I talked you about 2 keyboards and I told you about the RAM xD.

You should also check about Samsung EVO, and you better pick up a Crucial MX100 unless Samsung finds a solution...

New 10GB file and Old image file difference.

@PredatorRules said:

About the memory thing @Coseniath at that time it was the cheapest, so I picked that one (can't remember why I picked 16Gb, I usually don't do that unless TC is asking for something special)

Well, yeah it is very cheap for 16GB, but for $10-$20 you can get a far better combination of RAM (like 2x8 and 1,5V), since its a not a budget build ($1500...).

edit: Your suggested system has only 1x8GB RAM :P.... http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WQV9nQ

STTShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By STTShadows

@PredatorRules:

Thanks again man. A few questions, so would 8gb of RAM be enough, or should I be going for 16? I don't really understand RAM. I just know that I need at least 8 and some people are religious fanatics about maxing it out.

"If you don't plan on OC the CPU you could save about 130$, might get you 2 GPUs.

I picked up a better monitor (IPS one)."

I seriously need you to break this down for me Barney style. So what's with overclocking and why would I get 2 GPUs? Like what advantage does that yield? Also when buying a monitor, what should I look for? Some people seem to look for a low refresh rate or whatever.

Also is it possible to save my windows 8 from my laptop and transfer that to my new computer? If I could do that, it'd save me $130.00

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GeryGo  Moderator

@sttshadows said:

@PredatorRules:

Thanks again man. A few questions, so would 8gb of RAM be enough, or should I be going for 16? I don't really understand RAM. I just know that I need at least 8 and some people are religious fanatics about maxing it out.

"If you don't plan on OC the CPU you could save about 130$, might get you 2 GPUs.

I picked up a better monitor (IPS one)."

I seriously need you to break this down for me Barney style. So what's with overclocking and why would I get 2 GPUs? Like what advantage does that yield? Also when buying a monitor, what should I look for? Some people seem to look for a low refresh rate or whatever.

Also is it possible to save my windows 8 from my laptop and transfer that to my new computer? If I could do that, it'd save me $130.00

8Gb of RAM is good for gaming, 16Gb are good if you're editing.

Getting the none K version of that CPU will A) reduce the price by 100$ B) reduce the need of extreme CPU cooler so that's another 70$ cut C) with that money and a bit lower tier GPU I could hook you up with 2 GPUs, 2GPUs are way better than OC CPU in terms of actual game performance.

When you pick a monitor at 2014 you should go with IPS because of stunning colours, gaming monitors on the other hand will allow you to game on 120Hz+ and 1ms refresh rate - IMO it's not worth it, it's not like you're going to be MLG pro gamer that every ms counts, I'd go with better overall experience: photos, movies and games with better colours - something that currently is not available on gaming monitors.

If you have that Windows on CD which probably not because it's OEM version, then yes you could transfer it.

About the 2 GPU config:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LtHTFT

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Coseniath
@PredatorRules said:

2x R9 280 is by any means not faster than GTX970. In the best scenario will be equal.

Check more here: PowerColor TurboDuo Radeon R9 280 3GB OC CrossFire Video Card Review

Not to mention the dual GPU setup problems.

Stay with GTX970.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@Coseniath said:
@PredatorRules said:

2x R9 280 is by any means not faster than GTX970. In the best scenario will be equal.

Check more here: PowerColor TurboDuo Radeon R9 280 3GB OC CrossFire Video Card Review

Not to mention the dual GPU setup problems.

Stay with GTX970.

Since the 970 is on par level with the 780 and 290, I think 2x 280 are able to reach to 780ti performance, which is slightly better than 1 970, yes you'll gain 20% boost in performance specially when you need raw power, dual GPU problems? 2014 they're almost none exist, the only problem is it's going to use more power and heat more but that's not a problem which the case he chose.

And since you went with a game that got almost none gain boost from 2 GPUs and it might happen, I'll show you a different photo of the same setup:

You see the 235fps vs the 160 of the GTX780? raw power baby

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Coseniath
@PredatorRules said:

Since the 970 is on par level with the 780 and 290, I think 2x are able to reach to 780ti performance, which is slightly better than 1 970, yes you'll gain 20% boost in performance specially when you need raw power, dual GPU problems? 2014 they're almost none exist, the only problem is it's going to use more power and heat more but that's not a problem which the case he chose.

And since you went with a game that got almost none gain boost from 2 GPUs and it might happen, I'll show you a different photo of the same setup:

You see the 235fps vs the 160 of the GTX780? raw power baby

Who told you that GTX970 is on par with GTX780 and R9 290? lol...

GTX970 is between GTX780ti and R9 290X and some times even more...

And you don't care about 200+ FPS. Just cause can be played even with 3-4 years old GTX580...

While Metro LL...

Not to mention that GTX970 is around $100 cheaper...

Why do you think that AMD Xfire and other dual GPU solutions, don't have any problems with drivers and games even in 2014?

Of course there are more games that support dual GPUs but in a lot of cases you will wait for drivers to work or will not work at all.

Not to mention that you will need more PSU power and more space in the case.

I thought this was common sense...

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GTR12

@PredatorRules: @Coseniath:

TC is new to PC gaming, just keep it simple guys, 1 high-end GPU for now...

If he has problems with SLI/Crossfire, its not going to be good 1st PC experience, it might just scare him off PC gaming, and we don't want that ;)

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Coseniath
@GTR12 said:

If he has problems with SLI/Crossfire, its not going to be good 1st PC experience, it might just scare him off PC gaming, and we don't want that ;)

/agree 100%

Loading Video...

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GeryGo  Moderator

@GTR12 said:

Ok, so if he's new to PC gaming he should be doing OC neither: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4x2DnQ

what do you guys think of the new gaming beast? :D

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

If I were you, I'd go with this. But everyone has their preferences.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FWBRnQ

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Coseniath
@PredatorRules said:

Ok, so if he's new to PC gaming he should be doing OC neither: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4x2DnQ

what do you guys think of the new gaming beast? :D

Stay away from this CPU if you plan to go with such a fast card as GTX980/970.

It will bottleneck the GPU in a lot of cases.

edit: I found my previous post about FX8370 and 8370E reviews :D

Anandtech

Guru3D

The Tech Report

HotHardware

PC Perspective

Overclocker's Club

@insane_metalist said:

If I were you, I'd go with this. But everyone has their preferences.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FWBRnQ

You forgot OS :P.

Anyway @sttshadows, I would go with this, unless you want to remove some quality parts in order to go for higher GPU like @PredatorRules and @insane_metalist used or if you want to go higher than 1500 you can use a GTX980 instead of GTX970.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZjB623

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZjB623/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($235.99 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.66 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($93.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($111.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.00 @ Amazon)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Amazon)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($17.65 @ Amazon)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit) ($130.74 @ Amazon)

Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($169.31 @ Amazon)

Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($29.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $1516.28

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-23 05:22 EDT-0400

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#21 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

In that case - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JjBRnQ

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Coseniath
@insane_metalist said:

In that case - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JjBRnQ

He wants parts from Amazon only cause he lives in Hawaii.

The CPU cooler and the HDD you have here, are not sold by Amazon.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GTR12

@PredatorRules:

I would keep the CPU OC'able, in 5-6 yrs or so, it would be an old rig, and the TC may want to then tinker with OC'ing, and theres no better way than an old rig. That's how I learnt with a P4, I think I got a 200Mhz OC or something, that's just my experience of how I learnt OC'ing,

People use the internet now as guides so not sure how people learn in 2014, but I learnt by tinkering with an old PC.