This topic is locked from further discussion.

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 bluesunmerc
Member since 2014 • 281 Posts

So i got my i7 in the mail and installed it on my new board. I am wanting to oc at some point i have a hyper 212 evo and at 4.4 i get at 66c under load but when i try to push past 4.4 the cpu it hits 90 in like a few minutes so i downed and i am trying to decide on a good cooler. Does anyone have any suggestions on something that's going to keep it cool and not break the bank. I thought about corsair h100i. What do you guys think. Thanks in advance.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

Are you using auto volts?

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bluesunmerc

not when i manually oc the 4.4 at 66c is just turbo mode.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@bluesunmerc said:

not when i manually oc the 4.4 at 66c is just turbo mode.

So its turboing at 4.9? If your setting it to 4.4 with turbo on, its going to go well higher.

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bluesunmerc

@GTR12: Sorry I meant it turbos from stock which is 3.5 i believe to 4.4 sorry should have mentioned that. When i want to go over 4.4 manual that's when the high temps ensued.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

grab an H60 with 2 fans for push/pull and it does amazingly well. Saw the H60 for $50 plenty of times too

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bluesunmerc

@silversix_: yea thats a good idea prolly just get h100i and then buy two extra fans for push pull. I have one at work and i get a discount plus price match so ill save some on it and then just order two fans from new egg. I just wasnt sure if anyone had a certain cooler on and i7 4790k and had it oc with comfortable results. I know a few guys at work had the same issue. We were all running amd 6300 until we got our i7 and we have all had some pretty high temps when ocing.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I'm going to recommend the Noctua NH-D15 (or D14). Corsair's AIO coolers get *loud* unless you replace them with good fans, and even then, their radiators are optimized for higher RPM (louder fans).

Here's a chart that compares the H100i to the NH-D15 at 40Db, which is basically a lot louder than you typically what you want your PC to get. Hell, 35Db is even a lot louder than what I'd want my PC to get.

Antec Kuhler 1250 Benchmark

Also, Corsair AIO's have limited life-spans. Liquid coolant is recommended to be replaced every 3 years, and Corsair's units are sealed so they're only good for about that long (and many users including myself report degrading performance over time). So basically, I don't really recommend the H100i, there are way better options for the price.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@bluesunmerc said:

So i got my i7 in the mail and installed it on my new board. I am wanting to oc at some point i have a hyper 212 evo and at 4.4 i get at 66c under load but when i try to push past 4.4 the cpu it hits 90 in like a few minutes so i downed and i am trying to decide on a good cooler. Does anyone have any suggestions on something that's going to keep it cool and not break the bank. I thought about corsair h100i. What do you guys think. Thanks in advance.

Corsair H100i, NZXT Kraken X41, Thermaltake 3 Extreme.

There's no need going over 100$ for a water cooler.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-cpu-cooler-h100i 90$ right now from 3 shops.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GTR12

@KHAndAnime:

That chart is ok, but it doesnt take into account what case is used for the db levels.

Sure the AIO coolers are louder than the D15, but I have found my Kraken x61 even at 1800 RPM (the max, not sure why they chose 1440 RPM as a baseline) is vastly quieter than 40db, its about 30db (measured with a phone app, so I'll just add +3 for error).

The D15 will be a lot less, I dont doubt that at all.

The case is Corsair Carbide 400r.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KHAndAnime

@GTR12 said:

@KHAndAnime:

That chart is ok, but it doesnt take into account what case is used for the db levels.

Sure the AIO coolers are louder than the D15, but I have found my Kraken x61 even at 1800 RPM (the max, not sure why they chose 1440 RPM as a baseline) is vastly quieter than 40db, its about 30db (measured with a phone app, so I'll just add +3 for error).

Well, you need to take into account that they probably used a closer measuring distance (and no phone app). As you can read in the title, the aim is keeping under 40Db, exceeding 1440RPM would go over 40Db in their test scenario.

Regardless of the case used, you can at least infer how they perform relative to each other at a given sound level. Their chart doesn't really seem much off from my case with my cooler.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GTR12

@KHAndAnime said:

@GTR12 said:

@KHAndAnime:

Well, you need to take into account that they probably used a closer measuring distance (and no phone app). As you can read in the title, the aim is keeping under 40Db, exceeding 1440RPM would go over 40Db in their test scenario.

Regardless of the case used, you can at least infer how they perform relative to each other at a given sound level. Their chart doesn't really seem much off from my case with my cooler.

I'm just finding their temps very inconsistent with my own temps (i5 3570k @ 4.6Ghz w/ 1.25v) is idling at 28c and load at 55c.

I'm not sure if its due to the case or an incorrect sensor, but I've never had high temps and noise in this case.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KHAndAnime

@GTR12 said:

I'm just finding their temps very inconsistent with my own temps (i5 3570k @ 4.6Ghz w/ 1.25v) is idling at 28c and load at 55c.

I'm not sure if its due to the case or an incorrect sensor, but I've never had high temps and noise in this case.

You have a newer processor, different socket, case, etc. than the one used in the test - it's not likely going to match what you have. It's just demonstrating relative performance. They used a Phanteks Enthoo Luxe case.

According to Guru3d, the Kraken X60 under load on silent setting, which is 1000RPM, matches the H100i on Balanced, which I think is about the same as my old H80i on Quiet in the volume, and I found that to be a little loud myself - but it really depends on a lot of variables and what you consider loud (I use my PC in a silent environment). It's very similar to what HardOCP gets with their Kraken X61 here.

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bluesunmerc

@Chatch09: I reapplied my thermal paste and oc agian and i am finding much better results. I also tightened down my evo again its no bout 30 idle and 50 max under gaming load at 4.4ghz. I noticed that if i tried to wiggle my cooler it would slide so I reapplied the paste and tightened it and its much better now

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bluesunmerc

No, this is about my third or fourth