I ruined a computer. Help?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rain_of_Miami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Rain_of_Miami
Member since 2004 • 3102 Posts
Okay. I went into BIOS and disabled the integrated-video-memory so that any video-memory needed to be used would be taken from R.A.M., because the computer I did this to doesn't have much memory, so I wanted as much memory on it as possible without having to buy a new card (For now). So, I saved the changes and restarted... It never started again. I tried removing the memory-card, and placing it in another memory-slot. That didn't work.

How do I fix that computer...? I hope it's possible!!
bluealien2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 bluealien2
Member since 2006 • 930 Posts
There's a battery on the motherboard, take it out for like 5 minutes, put it back in, and your BIOS will revert back to stock settings...
Major_Ganker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Major_Ganker
Member since 2006 • 249 Posts
Well you could reset the bios, i dont know if that would help.
ch5richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ch5richards
Member since 2005 • 2912 Posts
Clear the CMOS.
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DirkVDV01
Member since 2004 • 20155 Posts
Nope, it's dead. Joke!!!! Hmmm, the best thing you can do is reset the CMOS, since it looks like you shouldn't have disable those settings. Look in your motherboard manual which jumper you have to put in which position to do that. Just make sure you take proper ESD measures, remove the battery on the motherboard, unplug the PC from the power outlet, put jumper in correct state, wait a couple of minutes and then put everything back like it was in the start. It should be OK then. You'll just need to alter some settings in the BIOS, but usually it will be fine.
Rain_of_Miami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Rain_of_Miami
[QUOTE="DirkVDV01"]Nope, it's dead. Joke!!!! Hmmm, the best thing you can do is reset the CMOS, since it looks like you shouldn't have disable those settings. Look in your motherboard manual which jumper you have to put in which position to do that. Just make sure you take proper ESD measures, remove the battery on the motherboard, unplug the PC from the power outlet, put jumper in correct state, wait a couple of minutes and then put everything back like it was in the start. It should be OK then. You'll just need to alter some settings in the BIOS, but usually it will be fine.

What's a "jumper"? Also, how do I reset a CMOS? I don't even know what that is!! Can someone quickly run through an explanation. I'm very good at catching on.
Rain_of_Miami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rain_of_Miami
Also, where is this battery people have been referring about? I'll need to know where that is to take it out.
bluealien2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bluealien2
[QUOTE="DirkVDV01"]Nope, it's dead. Joke!!!! Hmmm, the best thing you can do is reset the CMOS, since it looks like you shouldn't have disable those settings. Look in your motherboard manual which jumper you have to put in which position to do that. Just make sure you take proper ESD measures, remove the battery on the motherboard, unplug the PC from the power outlet, put jumper in correct state, wait a couple of minutes and then put everything back like it was in the start. It should be OK then. You'll just need to alter some settings in the BIOS, but usually it will be fine.

If he's a rookie he should be able to just remove the battery (about the size of a nickle) from the motherboard, leave it out for a few minutes, then put it back in, no? It's much simpler then clearing the CMOS via jumper...
Rain_of_Miami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rain_of_Miami
[QUOTE="bluealien2"][QUOTE="DirkVDV01"]Nope, it's dead. Joke!!!! Hmmm, the best thing you can do is reset the CMOS, since it looks like you shouldn't have disable those settings. Look in your motherboard manual which jumper you have to put in which position to do that. Just make sure you take proper ESD measures, remove the battery on the motherboard, unplug the PC from the power outlet, put jumper in correct state, wait a couple of minutes and then put everything back like it was in the start. It should be OK then. You'll just need to alter some settings in the BIOS, but usually it will be fine.

If he's a rookie he should be able to just remove the battery (about the size of a nickle) from the motherboard, leave it out for a few minutes, then put it back in, no? It's much simpler then clearing the CMOS via jumper...

If you can tell me where this battery is, you'll save me lots of money!!... and getting yelled at from the owner of that computer!!
Rain_of_Miami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rain_of_Miami
I mean.... I know where the motherboard is... but, can you give me insight on what sort of... visual I should look for, for this battery?
bluealien2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bluealien2
Well, it's about the size of a nickel, and its silver-colored, it will usually just pop out. Just leave it out for a few minutes (5 mins should do it), and then put it back in. This will revert your BIOS back to normal default settings. You should then be good to go. Another thing, if your not so great with computers, I recommend staying out of the BIOS, you can REALLY ruin a computer messing with the settings...
ch5richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ch5richards
Member since 2005 • 2912 Posts
It is in different places on different boards. Just look for a button battery. Should be the only one on there.
Major_Ganker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Major_Ganker
Member since 2006 • 249 Posts
Open the case and it should be in the bottom right hand corner
bluealien2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bluealien2
It is in different places on different boards. Just look for a button battery. Should be the only one on there.ch5richards

Yup, I find it to be most commonly placed near the bottom of the MotherBoard...
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DirkVDV01
I mean.... I know where the motherboard is... but, can you give me insight on what sort of... visual I should look for, for this battery?Rain_of_Miami
It looks a bit like a coin.
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DirkVDV01
Well, it's about the size of a nickel, and its silver-colored, it will usually just pop out. Just leave it out for a few minutes (5 mins should do it), and then put it back in. This will revert your BIOS back to normal default settings. You should then be good to go. Another thing, if your not so great with computers, I recommend staying out of the BIOS, you can REALLY ruin a computer messing with the settings...bluealien2
Sigh, not if you leave your power plug in it won't...
Rain_of_Miami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rain_of_Miami
[QUOTE="bluealien2"]Well, it's about the size of a nickel, and its silver-colored, it will usually just pop out. Just leave it out for a few minutes (5 mins should do it), and then put it back in. This will revert your BIOS back to normal default settings. You should then be good to go. Another thing, if your not so great with computers, I recommend staying out of the BIOS, you can REALLY ruin a computer messing with the settings...DirkVDV01
Sigh, not if you leave your power plug in it won't...

You're not supposed to leave your power-cord plugged in when you open the case, anyway. I know that one. ^_^ Okay, so I see this coin-like, grey-colored thing popping-out near the motherboard... I tried pulling on it gently, but it won't come out? Am I not pulling hard enough, or am I possibly pulling on the wrong thing?
BeavermanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BeavermanA
Member since 2003 • 2652 Posts
Yar switch the button on the back of your power supply to off, or just unplug it, and remove the battery for a minute, it should clear within 30 seconds. Put it back in, turn the power back on and things should be fine. Also type in your motherboard name followed by " BIOS settings" at google.com, it isn't wise to mess with settings you're that you're unsure what effect it will cause. This is how ppl can do permanent damage.
bluealien2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bluealien2
It may be a capacitor, so don't pull too hard, pulling out a capacitor will definatly ruin the motherboard for good..

Here's some pictures of them, for reference...

And another...

They don't all look exactly the same, but they all look pretty close...

EDIT: Sorry for not telling you to unplug the cord, it's something I just automatically do when opening a PC, so I don't necessarily pay attention to it much...
BeavermanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BeavermanA
Member since 2003 • 2652 Posts
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81
Here are 3 examples of what it could look like.
Rain_of_Miami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rain_of_Miami
Thank you much, everyone. I was not able to thank you earlier, considering I was working on the other computer.

You all have been helpful.
bluealien2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bluealien2
No problem...