I need monitor wisdom

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 bfa1509
Member since 2011 • 1058 Posts

Hi,

I am in the market for a brand new monitor. I have a Core i5 4690 with a gtx 970. I plan on using the monitor mainly for office use but also for some light gaming: some fps such as fallout 3/new vegas, counter strike etc., but I want it primarily to suit Skyrim with some of those stunning visual overhaul mods. I want a fairly good quality monitor that will last as long as possible so I set a budget of €350 ($440, £270) but can go higher if it would make sense. My issue is with the infamous TN v IPS decision. I know you can't have everything in a monitor but here I have ranked most important things for me (1 being the most important):

1) As little motion blur/skipping/flickering/ghosting/trailing etc. as possible

2) Nice smooth colors

3) Fairly sturdy build

4) Low cost

I've heard people saying that TN panels have terrible color compared to IPS panels but I can't tell the difference in side by side images unless its at different angles. I've heard that most games are made for TN panel monitors.

So my questions are:

-Are the colors so bad in a TN panel that it would ruin or considerably diminish the stunning scenery in games like Skyrim? ( I would appreciate any pictures of stunning skyrim scenery on a TN panel)

-Is the motion in IPS panels so bad that it would ruin/spoil fps games or fast paced/explosion filled games like Just Cause 2?

Thanks.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

When you say office use, does that include image/video editing or anything?

Also, there's a reason professional image editors use IPS, because the colour is better. Is there a store you can go to see the panels side-by-side or anything?

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bfa1509
@GTR12 said:

Also, there's a reason professional image editors use IPS, because the colour is better. Is there a store you can go to see the panels side-by-side or anything?

No, I won't be doing any serious image/video editing. I see both IPS and TN panels at work but I can't play games on them... unfortunately. What I would really like to know is if the input lag/motion blur issues on IPS panels only really matter to competitive fps pro gamers. If so I would go IPS for the better colour. However if the colour accuracy of IPS only really matters to professional image editors then I would go TN. Do TN monitors do the stunning ENB mods for skyrim any justice? If yes then I will go for a TN monitor.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@bfa1509 said:
@GTR12 said:

No, I won't be doing any serious image/video editing. I see both IPS and TN panels at work but I can't play games on them... unfortunately. What I would really like to know is if the input lag/motion blur issues on IPS panels only really matter to competitive fps pro gamers. If so I would go IPS for the better colour. However if the colour accuracy of IPS only really matters to professional image editors then I would go TN. Do TN monitors do the stunning ENB mods for skyrim any justice? If yes then I will go for a TN monitor.

IMO the Skyrim ENB mods do look far better on a IPS monitor, and I cant comment on modern TN panels, I haven't used a TN panel in 8 years, I've had 2 IPS monitors and I cant go back to TN.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

First recommendation would be the swift but it is out of your price range. I'm not sure how much it is but it's baby brother the pb278q is good and it's ips.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@bfa1509 said:

Hi,

I am in the market for a brand new monitor. I have a Core i5 4690 with a gtx 970. I plan on using the monitor mainly for office use but also for some light gaming: some fps such as fallout 3/new vegas, counter strike etc., but I want it primarily to suit Skyrim with some of those stunning visual overhaul mods. I want a fairly good quality monitor that will last as long as possible so I set a budget of €350 ($440, £270) but can go higher if it would make sense. My issue is with the infamous TN v IPS decision. I know you can't have everything in a monitor but here I have ranked most important things for me (1 being the most important):

1) As little motion blur/skipping/flickering/ghosting/trailing etc. as possible

2) Nice smooth colors

3) Fairly sturdy build

4) Low cost

I've heard people saying that TN panels have terrible color compared to IPS panels but I can't tell the difference in side by side images unless its at different angles. I've heard that most games are made for TN panel monitors.

So my questions are:

-Are the colors so bad in a TN panel that it would ruin or considerably diminish the stunning scenery in games like Skyrim? ( I would appreciate any pictures of stunning skyrim scenery on a TN panel)

-Is the motion in IPS panels so bad that it would ruin/spoil fps games or fast paced/explosion filled games like Just Cause 2?

Thanks.

Since you've put your main purpose is smooth experience I'd go with either BenQ or Asus gaming monitors with 1-2ms and 120+Hz:

You'll want to know this: to be able to enjoy those monitors well you'll want to have as much fps as possible up to the max that the monitor support, right now you've got GTX970 but in the future you'll be forced to either lower graphics or add another GTX970 to be able to keep with the high frame rates:

Asus or BenQ

If none of these is an option to you, I'd be looking for IPS monitor since 5ms (lowest) is not a bad option, I personally moved from 2ms to 5ms monitor and I got used to it after 3 days.

Asus - a brighter monitor than all the cheaper ones: good monitors less than 200$

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bfa1509

@klunt_bumskrint said:

First recommendation would be the swift but it is out of your price range. I'm not sure how much it is but it's baby brother the pb278q is good and it's ips.

That pb278q is a fine looking monitor but it is a bit on the expensive side. I would be happy enough with a 24" 1080p.

@PredatorRules said:

Since you've put your main purpose is smooth experience I'd go with either BenQ or Asus gaming monitors with 1-2ms and 120+Hz:

You'll want to know this: to be able to enjoy those monitors well you'll want to have as much fps as possible up to the max that the monitor support, right now you've got GTX970 but in the future you'll be forced to either lower graphics or add another GTX970 to be able to keep with the high frame rates:

Asus or BenQ

If none of these is an option to you, I'd be looking for IPS monitor since 5ms (lowest) is not a bad option, I personally moved from 2ms to 5ms monitor and I got used to it after 3 days.

Asus - a brighter monitor than all the cheaper ones: good monitors less than 200$

I strongly considered the Asus VG248QE but in researching it I heard that it was a bit overpriced and directed at more hardcore online fps gamers. Quite a few people also said in review of this monitor that if you are not competitively gaming then get an IPS instead.

The Benq XL2411Z is a very interesting monitor and if I decide to go for a TN panel in the end, I will go for this one I think.

The Asus VS24AH-P pretty much encapsulates everything I want in a monitor. It's 24", at least 1080p, IPS and has a response time of 5ms. I will do some more research into this one.

Just a quick question, I read somewhere that a lower Grey to Grey time has little impact on motion blur/responsiveness but the "latency" does and that no IPS monitor has a latency less than 14-15 ms? This may be completely false but it's something I would like to clarify before I consider an IPS.

Thanks for the tips guys.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@bfa1509 said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

That pb278q is a fine looking monitor but it is a bit on the expensive side. I would be happy enough with a 24" 1080p.

@PredatorRules said:

Asus or BenQ

I strongly considered the Asus VG248QE but in researching it I heard that it was a bit overpriced and directed at more hardcore online fps gamers. Quite a few people also said in review of this monitor that if you are not competitively gaming then get an IPS instead.

The Benq XL2411Z is a very interesting monitor and if I decide to go for a TN panel in the end, I will go for this one I think.

The Asus VS24AH-P pretty much encapsulates everything I want in a monitor. It's 24", at least 1080p, IPS and has a response time of 5ms. I will do some more research into this one.

Just a quick question, I read somewhere that a lower Grey to Grey time has little impact on motion blur/responsiveness but the "latency" does and that no IPS monitor has a latency less than 14-15 ms? This may be completely false but it's something I would like to clarify before I consider an IPS.

Thanks for the tips guys.

No idea, I know for sure there're 5ms IPS monitors.

BTW all Asus monitors are Grey to Grey, even the gaming ones with 1ms and 144Hz

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

I use an ASUS vg248qe monitor at home, 144hz is a world of difference from 60hz for gaming and desktop use. The color is absolute shit out of the box, colors blend and look washed out. If you like having decent color then you'll have to tweak the settings moderately. While possible to make the colors alright, they'll still look poor when side-by-side with other screens (at least next to the two other displays that I frequently use).

I use the ASUS for 5+ hours a day doing coding/running simulation software/super basic game design and it has drawbacks.

-It's only 1080p, the screen real estate could be more. I find myself needing a second monitor in order to have adequate space.

-Make a game scene on the ASUS then go to show it to someone on my TV...colors don't end up looking the way I intended.

-I always end up with funny looking powerpoints (off colors) when they're made on my ASUS and presented at work... :(

I'm not sure if this is TN specific, but I find trying to read longish pdf not too enjoyable on my screen. I always end up reading it on my tablet which is easier on my eyes.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

If you want strictly an IPS panel then you should probably go with ASUS. You should look into ASUS: VN289H - IPS (6Ms). Also, look into ASUS: MX279H - IPS (5Ms).

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bfa1509

@achilles614 said:

I use an ASUS vg248qe monitor at home, 144hz is a world of difference from 60hz for gaming and desktop use. The color is absolute shit out of the box, colors blend and look washed out. If you like having decent color then you'll have to tweak the settings moderately. While possible to make the colors alright, they'll still look poor when side-by-side with other screens (at least next to the two other displays that I frequently use).

I use the ASUS for 5+ hours a day doing coding/running simulation software/super basic game design and it has drawbacks.

-It's only 1080p, the screen real estate could be more. I find myself needing a second monitor in order to have adequate space.

-Make a game scene on the ASUS then go to show it to someone on my TV...colors don't end up looking the way I intended.

-I always end up with funny looking powerpoints (off colors) when they're made on my ASUS and presented at work... :(

I'm not sure if this is TN specific, but I find trying to read longish pdf not too enjoyable on my screen. I always end up reading it on my tablet which is easier on my eyes.

These are some invaluable points. I will also be coding, running simulation software, solid modelling and reading lots and lots of pdfs, word documents, powerpoints etc.. I was already swaying towards an IPS but this pushes me even further, which is good.

@insane_metalist said:

If you want strictly an IPS panel then you should probably go with ASUS. You should look into ASUS: VN289H - IPS (6Ms). Also, look into ASUS: MX279H - IPS (5Ms).

These monitors are 99% there, it's just that 27-28" is a little to big for me I think. I found a nice one here, which is basically just a 23" version of the one you suggested:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-MX239H-LED-backlit-Monitor-80000000/dp/B00A4K9KVG/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

If I can't find a better one than this then I might just go for it and see how I get on. Thank you for the very good suggestions.

Any other TN or IPS suggestions welcome!

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 insane_metalist

@bfa1509: ASUS: VN289H - IPS (6Ms) is actually a 23" (they messed up on the info). If you click on Specifications, you'll see the proper info. Sorry about that.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@insane_metalist said:

I am using an Asus MX279H as my main monitor, and my old Asus TN Panel as my secondary. I really like the MX279H, although it is not completely borderless/Frameless. There's about a centimeter thick black borders (not part of the actual lit up screen), but it still looks great.

I calibrated it myself and running it at about 2.20 Gamma. A big improvement in colors over my TN panel. The TN panel, even when tinkered with looks washed out. That is to be expected though.

It is slightly cheaper on Amazon.com: Asus MX279H Monitor

Why I highly recommend Amazon.com because the return/exchange policy is simpler and easier than Newegg.com. Why I do think Newegg.com has a decent to good customer service, Amazon is hassle-free. You do not even have to pick up the phone to call them. Just click to return, print the free shipping labels, put it on the box and drop it at your local UPS store. Before you even send back the defective monitor, if it does come defective, Amazon.com will send one once you hit the process the return button. You can get the new monitor first and ship back the defective one within 30 days. You will only be charged ONCE, not twice for the replacement. But if you don't send back the defective monitor, you will then of course be charged for both items. Just letting you know.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 insane_metalist

@Elann2008 said:

@insane_metalist said:

I am using an Asus MX279H as my main monitor, and my old Asus TN Panel as my secondary. I really like the MX279H, although it is not completely borderless/Frameless. There's about a centimeter thick black borders (not part of the actual lit up screen), but it still looks great.

I calibrated it myself and running it at about 2.20 Gamma. A big improvement in colors over my TN panel. The TN panel, even when tinkered with looks washed out. That is to be expected though.

Why I highly recommend Amazon.com because the return/exchange policy is simpler and easier than Newegg.com. Why I do think Newegg.com has a decent to good customer service, Amazon is hassle-free. You do not even have to pick up the phone to call them. Just click to return, print the free shipping labels, put it on the box and drop it at your local UPS store. Before you even send back the defective monitor, if it does come defective, Amazon.com will send one once you hit the process the return button. You can get the new monitor first and ship back the defective one within 30 days. You will only be charged ONCE, not twice for the replacement. But if you don't send back the defective monitor, you will then of course be charged for both items. Just letting you know.

Yeah, I heard good things about it that's why am recommending it. It's a nice size too. I personally love 27" panels.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

@bfa1509 said:

These are some invaluable points. I will also be coding, running simulation software, solid modelling and reading lots and lots of pdfs, word documents, powerpoints etc.. I was already swaying towards an IPS but this pushes me even further, which is good.

Make sure whichever monitor you choose has a good stand, I use portrait mode all the time when coding and making word documents. For simulation software or design software I feel like having a res >1080p would be ideal, toolbars and debug windows take up too much space otherwise.

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bfa1509

@insane_metalist said:

@bfa1509: ASUS: VN289H - IPS (6Ms) is actually a 23" (they messed up on the info). If you click on Specifications, you'll see the proper info. Sorry about that.

Aha, that's a bad error. Thanks.

@Elann2008 said:

@insane_metalist said:

Thanks for sharing your experience of this monitor. Do you ever use it for gaming? If yes do you notice any significant motion blur/lag/ghosting etc?

I think 27" would probably be too big for general office use for me as I will be sitting right in front of it (or maybe it's better for this?).

Do you think the 23" version would be very similar apart from the smaller size?

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-MX239H-23-Inch-LED-backlit-Frameless/dp/B00B1IAL7W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416760860&sr=8-1&keywords=ASUS+MX239H

Thanks

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#17  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I been holding out on upgrading my current monitor cause I'm waiting for 144hz IPS monitors, i read they are going to be produced soon, so anyday now we'll see them.

I see these nice 144hz gaming monitors right now, then i see they are TN display and back away slowly... till they do 144hz IPS i won't upgrade from my current 60hz IPS.

I'm not telling you to wait for them though, cause it maybe a few months before you see these from the regular monitor companies like LG, Samsung, Benq etc.

Just with 60hz you can see slight blur even though its not bad for most games. Actually only games really noticeable are mmo's when you are watching someone run past you and its hard to read their name.

... and another waiting game we are doing is waiting for regular consumer use OLED pc monitors... who knows when those will be available. I've only seen a few 5k+ ones meant for specific pc tasks and probably wouldn't be good for anything like gaming.

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bfa1509

From looking at video reviews and comparisons I have finally decided to go for either the Asus MX239H

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-mx239h

or the Asus MX279H

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-mx279h

So it's just a matter of choosing between a 27" and a 23". I'm swaying towards the 23" because it should have a crisper image due to the higher pixel density. A lot of people are saying that the 27" is a stunning monitor however. I'm just afraid it might be too big for everyday office tasks.

(thanks to @PredatorRules, @insane_metalist and @Elann2008 especially for recommending these monitors and everyone else for the tips)

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@bfa1509 said:

From looking at video reviews and comparisons I have finally decided to go for either the Asus MX239H

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-mx239h

or the Asus MX279H

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-mx279h

So it's just a matter of choosing between a 27" and a 23". I'm swaying towards the 23" because it should have a crisper image due to the higher pixel density. A lot of people are saying that the 27" is a stunning monitor however. I'm just afraid it might be too big for everyday office tasks.

(thanks to @PredatorRules, @insane_metalist and @Elann2008 especially for recommending these monitors and everyone else for the tips)

I'd say 27' is the new 1440p monitor mostly, but I didn't have a sitdown with both 1080p and 1440p on my desk, so no idea if 1440p is THAT better; I know for sure there're still 50' 1080p TVs and they look stunning.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Bear in mind that reponse time is a made up number that is very rarely useful.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Elann2008

@bfa1509 said:

Aha, that's a bad error. Thanks.

@Elann2008 said:

@insane_metalist said:

Thanks for sharing your experience of this monitor. Do you ever use it for gaming? If yes do you notice any significant motion blur/lag/ghosting etc?

I think 27" would probably be too big for general office use for me as I will be sitting right in front of it (or maybe it's better for this?).

Do you think the 23" version would be very similar apart from the smaller size?

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-MX239H-23-Inch-LED-backlit-Frameless/dp/B00B1IAL7W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416760860&sr=8-1&keywords=ASUS+MX239H

Thanks

I use it for gaming too! It is my primary gaming monitor. The response time is really decent for a monitor of this design. There are only few IPS monitors with a decent to good response time.

All I can say is, playing Far Cry 3 on the Asus MX279H is almost like a new experience compared to when I played it on my old TN panel monitor. But, if you're for more framerate (>60fps), then TN panels are the way to go.

It really isn't that big. Initially, sure, but you'll get used to it. Since the housing on the MX279H is minimal, you'll be viewing more screen space and less of the "frame." It offsets the appearance and look and it won't look like a giant monitor that may be an eyesore.

I think it is the perfect size for gaming and, or for work.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Elann2008

@kraken2109 said:

I think for monitors, you can't really tell too much of a difference. But since I'm an OCD freak with spidey senses, I can tell. Like I said, on monitors, not so much. On an HDTV in your living, I can instantly tell. Then again, since I am one of those people that spend a lot of my leisure time, and work time at the desk in front of a monitor, I see things differently.

But yeah, unless you're into competitive online gaming, most certainly for first-person shooters; a higher response time isn't going to affect you. If it's just for work, and desktop use, it's not a huge deal.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

@Elann2008 said:

@kraken2109 said:

I think for monitors, you can't really tell too much of a difference. But since I'm an OCD freak with spidey senses, I can tell. Like I said, on monitors, not so much. On an HDTV in your living, I can instantly tell. Then again, since I am one of those people that spend a lot of my leisure time, and work time at the desk in front of a monitor, I see things differently.

But yeah, unless you're into competitive online gaming, most certainly for first-person shooters; a higher response time isn't going to affect you. If it's just for work, and desktop use, it's not a huge deal.

I wasn't saying a fast monitor is unnecessary, I was saying the response time quoted from the manufacturer means essentially nothing and doesn't actually take into account the input lag. In other words, find a review that thoroughly tests a monitor and publishes actual measurements.

Contrast ratio is the same.

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bfa1509

@Elann2008 said:

I use it for gaming too! It is my primary gaming monitor. The response time is really decent for a monitor of this design. There are only few IPS monitors with a decent to good response time.

All I can say is, playing Far Cry 3 on the Asus MX279H is almost like a new experience compared to when I played it on my old TN panel monitor. But, if you're for more framerate (>60fps), then TN panels are the way to go.

It really isn't that big. Initially, sure, but you'll get used to it. Since the housing on the MX279H is minimal, you'll be viewing more screen space and less of the "frame." It offsets the appearance and look and it won't look like a giant monitor that may be an eyesore.

I think it is the perfect size for gaming and, or for work.

I saw some reviews on youtube (here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd8uIXyW1SA) and it looks perfect for gaming (for me anyway). I decided to go for the 23" in the end but only because it was €100 cheaper than the 27". If I like the 23" though, I will get the 27" in a few months and use the 23" as a secondary monitor.

Really appreciate the advice, thanks.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#25  Edited By elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

@bfa1509:

27" or over.

hopefully 1440p or 4K, but 1080p is fine for under 32".

at least 75Hz while @ 1080p.

link to nice Acer with great refresh rate and response times.

i have a really nice 27" 1080p LG 3D IPS monitor(Cinema3D D2743) for when i'm at the desk and it is all i could ask for, for now. over the next year or so i will be upgrading to at least a 1440p 140Hz display and may leave the 3D option for when i'm running through my television. the price all depends on what the main features are you're looking for: 4K resolution, high frame count, high response time, 3D gaming, etc...