I need a single player RPG..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by chickchikagetup (619 posts) -

I need to play a good single player rpg that will run on a s****y system

that can only run Guild wars all medium.

any help would be much appreciated thanks.

#2 Posted by psycho_chan13 (173 posts) -
Diablo 2 + Lord ofDestruction is a great Single Player and Multiplayer game it doesnt takea nice PC to play it on ether.
#3 Posted by Myrkan (1304 posts) -

Give me your PC specs and I could see what cheap tweaks you could make to your system. Also, Fable: The Lost Chapters ran well on my older rig on highest settings just fine, so you should be able to pull off a nice framerate and make it look good at the same time, I just need to know what you have. Buy KOTOR I and II, and you could run it nicely I'd bet, but you would need a video card compatible with its openGL format, and since you say you have a crappy rig, I'm not sure if you could run it.

Oblivion is also another obvious answer, but I would recommend upgrading a bit, and you could run it on 1024x768, medium settings, maybe some AA full draw distance. If you have to, you could lower the resolution a bit.

Hope that helps, post your specs and I might be able to help more.

#4 Posted by Franko_3 (5728 posts) -
get Sacred (or Sacred Gold to get the expansion), awsome diablo-like clone, but with an open world.
#5 Posted by chickchikagetup (619 posts) -

okay... but its a little embarassing :(

its a laptop btw.

XP home edition

intel core cpu

1014 mb RAM

direct x 9

:S not too good with this stuff anything else i need to put?

#6 Posted by Planeforger (15402 posts) -

Diablo 2 + Lord ofDestruction is a great Single Player and Multiplayer game it doesnt takea nice PC to play it on ether.psycho_chan13

Honestly, I wouldn't try it in single-player mode. It's dead boring unless you have a group of friends playing with you.

Anyway, check out all of the usual recommendations (Fallout series, Baldurs Gate series, NWN, KOTOR, etc.) - most of them won't need a great computer to run.

#7 Posted by Rob_101 (3291 posts) -
I recommend Oblivion. If you have a crappy rig I believe there is a mod called OLDblivion that allows the game to run on lower systems by making the graphics crappier.
#8 Posted by mo0ksi (12337 posts) -
Morrowind if you don't have that.
#9 Posted by Rob_101 (3291 posts) -

Also a helpful website is http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest. Select a RPG (or any game) and press Can you run it? It scans your PC, collecting hardware information and comparing that to desired game and finally telling you if and how well you can run selected game.

#10 Posted by FrozeN__54 (3434 posts) -
Neverwinter Nights and Knights of the old Republic.
#11 Posted by m4elstorm (17 posts) -

Baldurs gate 2 + exp

morrowind

icewind dale

deus ex (the first one, I know its a shooter but its RPGish, and its the best hybrid so far).

i recomend console emulation (snes got all old scool ff´s)

#12 Posted by ArcticSnake (942 posts) -

Morrowind. It isn't the best RPG on the computer but it is damn close. The only problem is the game is short. It will only last you a few years. Plus you only have like hundreds of gigs of great downloadable content.

It is a rather old game but it gets RPG elements right. Plus there is a great mod out there that takes a natural approach to the RPG system which is sort of hard to explain.

#13 Posted by Xaphan3 (210 posts) -
System Shock 2! Highly recommend it. I played it days at a time. Highly replayable. Plus it came out in 98/99 so it should be able to run on your rig.
#14 Posted by chickchikagetup (619 posts) -
Bump any more ideas?
#15 Posted by Rob_101 (3291 posts) -

Bump any more ideas?chickchikagetup

We didn't give you enough? :|

#16 Posted by foxhound_fox (86939 posts) -
Fallout, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines, Baldur's Gate II or The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.
#17 Posted by LaNoOm (1039 posts) -

1.Fable: The Lost Chapters

2.Kotor 1 & 2

3.Jade Empire: Special Edition

#18 Posted by RK-Mara (11488 posts) -

Try this to see if you can play The Witcher: http://www.yougamers.com/gameometer/10204/

#19 Posted by siafni (629 posts) -

Definetly Morrowind.

Morrowind if you don't have that.mo0ksi

#20 Posted by thusaha (14495 posts) -
Just try any good more-than-4-years-old game.
#21 Posted by Justrinx (53 posts) -
You cud try Dungeon Siege (1,2), TES: Morrowind...
#22 Posted by LaNoOm (1039 posts) -
Oh yeah! Oblivion: Ender Scrolls!
#23 Posted by kakishi1 (1065 posts) -

Morrowind

Fable

#24 Posted by doomsdaydave11 (1159 posts) -

Diablo 2 + Lord ofDestruction is a great Single Player and Multiplayer game it doesnt takea nice PC to play it on ether.psycho_chan13

problem solved.

Also, neverwinter nights, and baldur's gate.

#25 Posted by artur79 (4679 posts) -
Gothic 1 and 2
#26 Posted by iwokojance (1040 posts) -

Morrowind. It isn't the best RPG on the computer but it is damn close. The only problem is the game is short. It will only last you a few years. Plus you only have like hundreds of gigs of great downloadable content.

It is a rather old game but it gets RPG elements right. Plus there is a great mod out there that takes a natural approach to the RPG system which is sort of hard to explain.

ArcticSnake

*call me chuckles* I sense some sarcism here...this game will only last you a few years. :)

#27 Posted by thanatose (2465 posts) -
Planescape Torment, Nox, Sacred, Arcanum, or Divine Divinity are always good choices for single player RPGs that will run on most older systems.
#28 Posted by thewarggoath (144 posts) -

Diablo 2 + LoD

Jagged Alliance 2

System Shock 2

Hellgate London

Diablo

Arx Fatalis

Morrowind or Oblivion or Daggerfall( I wont recommend Arena as its starting dungeon is HELL)

Icewind Dale

#29 Posted by ahmedkandil (2326 posts) -

morrowind, KOTOR 1&2, gothic

btw: i was thinking of getting either icewind dale collection, baldurs gate collection or neverwinter nights diamond. which one has the best plot? i dont mind gameplay that much...i just want a good plot. NWN2 got story of the year. is the fist one just as good?

#30 Posted by thanatose (2465 posts) -

morrowind, KOTOR 1&2, gothic

btw: i was thinking of getting either icewind dale collection, baldurs gate collection or neverwinter nights diamond. which one has the best plot? i dont mind gameplay that much...i just want a good plot. NWN2 got story of the year. is the fist one just as good?

ahmedkandil

Of those the Baldur's Gate collection has the best plot with NWN diamond following close on it's heals.

#31 Posted by ninjadxt (227 posts) -
Dungeon siege2, diablo, fable, morrowind, gothic maybe you can try lionheart (it is not as good as previous, but good still).
#32 Posted by Planeforger (15402 posts) -

maybe you can try lionheart (it is not as good as previous, but good still).ninjadxt

No! As much as I love Black Isle Studios and their games...stay away from Lionheart. It will only bring you pain and tears.

I mean, you can try to like it, for a while, and maybe you can even try to finish it...but you'll ultimately fail at both. :(

#33 Posted by Xtraflo (683 posts) -
theres always Final Fantasy XXXXLLMXXXXMLXXM !!! :D
#34 Posted by Lonelynight (30039 posts) -
KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2
#35 Posted by kodai (924 posts) -
You can always try Star Control 2. It's free, and the free version will run on just about any system that can run Win 98, 2k/XP, or Vista. The link to download it is at http://sc2.sourceforge.net
#36 Posted by LaNoOm (1039 posts) -
DragonShard if you like a mix of RTS in with it.