I'm thinking about getting some headphones

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by hydralisk86 (8494 posts) -

I'm thinking about getting some headphones. It's been a while since i asked people on the forums about this, so I'm asking again. I think i was recommended these: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-Professional-Headphones-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0073TP5YC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388192159&sr=8-1&keywords=headphones+audio+technica+ath-m50

However, i want to get more advice from people here. I want the headphones to be around the $100, and the ones i just posted include an amp, i don't even know if it is recommended to buy the amp. Should i get the amp if i have an ipod nano? If i don't need the amp, how do i keep from buying it? I hope to use the headphones to watch videos on hulu.com by streaming.

#3 Edited by C_Rule (9739 posts) -

If the ATH-WS55(I)BK are anything like the ATH-WS55x (and I'd imagine they would be), the bass will be pretty under-whelming (despite the "Solid Bass" name). I bought the ATH-WS55x and ended up giving them away the next day.

I got a pair of V-MODA Crossfade LPs the other day, which I'm quite happy with.

Logitech UE 6000 are also nice, one of the most comfortable headphones I've tried. The "noise cancellation" on these headphones is pretty stupid, though. All it does is boost the volume (and without this boost, they are a bit quiet).

#4 Edited by hydralisk86 (8494 posts) -

@C_Rule said:

If the ATH-WS55(I)BK are anything like the ATH-WS55x (and I'd imagine they would be), the bass will be pretty under-whelming (despite the "Solid Bass" name). I bought the ATH-WS55x and ended up giving them away the next day.

Logitech UE 6000 are also nice, one of the most comfortable headphones I've tried. The "noise cancellation" on these headphones is pretty stupid, though. All it does is boost the volume (and without this boost, they are a bit quiet).

The headphone i posted has more reviews than the V-MODA...Does that just mean the one i posted is older?

#5 Edited by C_Rule (9739 posts) -

@hydralisk86 said:

@C_Rule said:

The headphone i posted has more reviews than the V-MODA...Does that just mean the one i posted is older?

Which V-MODA headphones are you looking at? The Crossfade LPs have almost 1,600 reviews on Amazon (vs 51 on the ATH-M50).

EDIT: Oh, ATH-M50 without amp have 1,000 more reviews. I see.

Not sure how long either have been out. Could be the ATH-M50 have been out longer, could be they're more popular.

EDIT: First review for the ATH-M50 appears to be in 07, whereas first review for Crossfades appears to be 2010.

#7 Posted by takeiteazy3 (743 posts) -

Got myself some V-moda M100. Love them.

#8 Edited by kraken2109 (12950 posts) -

What are you using them for? Home use or portability?

I personally think the M50 are overrated, they are popular because they're generally people's first 'good' headphones so they get positive reviews form people that have nothing to compare them with.

Interestingly your link claims they come with the Fiio E6 but in the picture it's the E5, you might want to check that. The E6 would help, but it depends how picky you are whether you notice or not. Bear in mind it's pretty cheap to buy yourself if you decide you want a cheap amp.

#9 Edited by hydralisk86 (8494 posts) -

What is troublesome is that there seems to be a lot of headphones on amazon.com, with many people saying in the reviews of that specific headphones, "These are the best ones i ever had" or "You can't get better ones for the money." I want to possibly spend around $100, and the problems i just talked about makes me unsure just what are the best ones for the money.

#10 Edited by PredatorRules (7086 posts) -

What is troublesome is that there seems to be a lot of headphones on amazon.com, with many people saying in the reviews of that specific headphones, "These are the best ones i ever had" or "You can't get better ones for the money." I want to possibly spend around $100, and the problems i just talked about makes me unsure just what are the best ones for the money.

It's really hard to determine which one is the best because there isn't such; You see you can choose between 3 modules with the same technical specs but in real life what will determine the best that suits you is the comfort of the headphones on your head and ears.

#11 Edited by hydralisk86 (8494 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@hydralisk86 said:

It's really hard to determine which one is the best because there isn't such; You see you can choose between 3 modules with the same technical specs but in real life what will determine the best that suits you is the comfort of the headphones on your head and ears.

What do you mean by modules? Are you saying headphones can be basically the same in their terms of technical specs, meaning they are the same when comparing how nice they sound, but that the only thing that differs is how comfortable the headphones feel while you are wearing them on your head and ears?

#12 Edited by PredatorRules (7086 posts) -

@hydralisk86 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@hydralisk86 said:

What do you mean by modules? Are you saying headphones can be basically the same in their terms of technical specs, meaning they are the same when comparing how nice they sound, but that the only thing that differs is how comfortable the headphones feel while you are wearing them on your head and ears?

Exactly.

You can use the most precise gaming mouse in the world in terms of specs and the fastest as well, but once it doesn't feel comfortable in your hand grip, this mouse means sh^t to you.

PS I have a friend who bought Beats Solo HD and he sold them because they were uncomfortable to him; he got some Sonys' instead.

#14 Posted by KHAndAnime (13181 posts) -

You can't really trust user reviews in general. You can only trust people who've actually owned all the headphones you are considering, and get their opinion. And even then, it comes down to preference. Some ~$100 headphones are oen, have poor bass, but good soundstage - others are closed, have great bass, and poor soundstage - and there are plenty in between. There is also comfort to consider. It would help if you could demo the headphones you'd like to hear so you can get an idea for the sound signature you desire.

#15 Edited by hydralisk86 (8494 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

@hydralisk86 said:

You can't really trust user reviews in general. You can only trust people who've actually owned all the headphones you are considering, and get their opinion. And even then, it comes down to preference. Some ~$100 headphones are oen, have poor bass, but good soundstage - others are closed, have great bass, and poor soundstage - and there are plenty in between. There is also comfort to consider. It would help if you could demo the headphones you'd like to hear so you can get an idea for the sound signature you desire.

I guess the best thing to do is to go to a best buy or another store to do that? And one more thing, i saw certain headphones that said they were used by people in some kind of business, I'm assuming for some kind of business in music if you know what i mean. Does that mean anything important? I mean that seems to suggest that those headphones are good.

#16 Edited by PredatorRules (7086 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

@hydralisk86 said:

I guess the best thing to do is to go to a best buy or another store to do that? And one more thing, i saw certain headphones that said they were used by people in some kind of business, I'm assuming for some kind of business in music if you know what i mean. Does that mean anything important? I mean that seems to suggest that those headphones are good.

Many DJs began to wear Beats by Dr. Dre - yeah they're quality brand, but again just like Apple they charge you extra money for "coolness" or shall I say brand name/logo.

#17 Posted by Importz2k1 (21 posts) -

I use a pair of Turtle Beach PX22 on my pc that I purchased for my PS3, I plugged in my daughters Beats that she got for Christmas and only noticed a slightly better sound out of the Beats but, I think my PX22 is more comfortable. Go figure!

#18 Posted by KHAndAnime (13181 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

@hydralisk86 said:

Not necessarily. There are two types of headphones, just like there are two types of speakers. Hi-Fi and Studio.

Studio headphones are used by people "in the business" (DJ's, audio engineers - people who do mixing and mastering) - they are used because they provide balanced, accurate sound. Because they are producing music, they need to be able to hear what exactly they're producing. For example - If you're producing music using headphones that have too much bass or too little bass, you have absolutely no actual idea what how much bass you're putting into the music. Studio headphones are scrutinizing when it comes to the audio source - meaning they try to make bad audio sound bad. If you listen to a song at 128kbps, it would sound hollow and tinny compared to the same song at 320kbps.

High fidelity headphones (hi-fi) are made for consumers - people who just want to listen to music. They typically have their audio signature tweaked (unbalanced) in an attempt to be more pleasing to the ear. The Beats, for example, are tweaked so they have a lot more bass than what is actually in the song. So people who like a lot of loud bass hear The Beats and think "these headphones are the best!". Other headphones are tweaked with more subtlety, in an attempt to give the illusions of enhanced sharpness and clarity (Grado headphones). Similar to studio headphones, expensive hi-fi headphones are capable of making low-bitrate audio sound bad, but unlike studio headphones - they don't go out of the way to do so.

Ultimately, it's a preference. Studio gear (headphones and speakers) is typically always balanced and analytical. High-quality music (320kbps and above) typically sounds excellent on studio gear. They're more versatile too, because they are geared equally towards all genres of music, as opposed to a single genre.

#19 Posted by kraken2109 (12950 posts) -

For home use with a $100 budget I would probably get the Sennheiser HD518 for $80. The 558 are better, but currently on US amazon they're $50 more which I wouldn't spend.