I’m Rarely a Worthy Hearthstone Heroes of Warcraft Opponent

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for RoyaleWthCheese
RoyaleWthCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By RoyaleWthCheese
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

I played Magic at a time where a Black Lotus used to cost as much now as the Dredd Blu-ray. Hearthstone Heroes of Warcraft provides a Jekyll and Hyde beta experience. Hearthstone, compared to Magic has a different vibe produced by quick games and a fondness for the WOW universe. The decks are fun to play, and practice mode easily teaches the ins and outs of how to play the game. But the player vs. player matchmaking for Hearthstone Heroes of Warcraft isn’t worthy; regardless of what the game will tell you. All the games I’ve played are casual, not ranked matches. The gameplay itself is wonderfully casual; the opponents I’ve been matched with are far from that.

The open beta for Hearthstone Heroes of Warcraft is furious fun, which is Blizzard’s trademark. The fun factor is up there with my tanking with a warrior Draenei in WOW, or laying waste with a barbarian in Diablo 3. The tumor sized issue is the casual matchmaking mode always indicating “A Worthy Opponent” before the match starts between your deck and someone else’s. Even with so many beta players, both opponents are rarely worthy to do battle with one another. That’s not casual fun. Maybe great players and their decks fear the “ranked” mode and just want to slam down the non-competitive casual player?

Nail biting matches happen at most 10% of the time. If almost every game is a blowout why spend the cash? I’m looking for competition, not a beat down on someone else’s small Murloc sized deck. Bronco, and most NFL fans couldn’t finish watching last Super Bowl’s 43-8 blowout. A true competitor or a fan of just watching competition doesn’t want to constantly play any online game where it feels like the opponent is AFK.

Most matches In Hearthstone start off pretty even, no matter how great a player’s deck is. When mana crystals are around capacity is where players with insane decks triumph (“I’m not worthy, I’m not worthy”). When all these great cards land on the table, no amount of strategy can stop the onslaught. There is no way I should be playing against those decks in the casual section of Hearthstone. I’m casually getting rocked. At a certain point a deck’s strength shouldn’t casually be used. An Ogre sized deck, beating up on an insignificant grub deck is a lame way to get newbies to spend cash on cards.

Create the matching making in Hearthstone like “Top Gun”. Let the best of the best play. Pub players should completely be separated from the experienced (similar to WOW guilds). At least give the inexperienced a choice to see if they like Hearthstone to the point where a financial investment to move to ranked mode is needed.

For newer players, I ranked up all the classes to level ten first in “practice” mode. This will present you with deck options that can be competitive for those legendary matches that come down to the wire. Having all your decks at level ten will give you flexibility to create better decks when card packs are opened.

Hearthstone Heroes of Warcraft is like enjoying a Dairy Queen Blizzard. The Blizzard has a tasty beginning, but it’s very hard to continue on and finish off what you started.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I had a hard time at first but you have to find your grove. Stick with a class and build your deck around that. Earn your daily gold and get packs.

Also if doing arena you are averaging 1 win just buy packs for 100 gold. If you average more in arena then proceed with doing arena.

www.hearthhead.com has some great info.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I was bored to tears with the game personally, and its not that I don't like card games. I just find this game isn't complicated enough for me. The graphics are also not something I like. I'm really sick of that WoW/League of Legends look.

For a better card game in my opinion i would play Might and Magic: Duel of Champions

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@jimmy_russell said:

It's a completely dumbed-down RNG-heavy pay-to-win card game. There's not much more to explain.

It's not pay 2 win, unless you suck at it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
@edinsftw said:

I was bored to tears with the game personally, and its not that I don't like card games. I just find this game isn't complicated enough for me. The graphics are also not something I like. I'm really sick of that WoW/League of Legends look.

For a better card game in my opinion i would play Might and Magic: Duel of Champions

Duel is a total Pay 2 Win game, unlike Hearthstone.

If you like complicated and fair, try HEX.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@edinsftw said:

Duel is a total Pay 2 Win game, unlike Hearthstone.

If you like complicated and fair, try HEX.

You can definitely win without paying, but yes it does take longer than hearthstone - almost absurdly so. The gameplay itself is much better though. Ill try out HEX

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@jimmy_russell said:

It's a completely dumbed-down RNG-heavy pay-to-win card game. There's not much more to explain.

When you play against a player who has spent over 200 bucks on the game you will notice a difference than a player who never spend anything on the game. Like facing atleast 5 legendaries in a single game

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside

@RoccoHout said:

@FelipeInside said:

@jimmy_russell said:

When you play against a player who has spent over 200 bucks on the game you will notice a difference than a player who never spend anything on the game. Like facing atleast 5 legendaries in a single game

I've seen players with a starting deck and a few unlocks take down players with legendaries and that have spent money. It's all about strategy.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

@FelipeInside: HEX looks pretty sweet and also there is Scrolls, which is created by Mojang. There are plenty of options for card games, which is nice. I have always been interested in the genre, but never wanted to invest a huge amount of money. I bought The Eye of Judgment for PS3, when it was dirt cheap and loved card games ever since.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I just won against a druid who dropped three legendaries to my one. I'm not seeing how this game is pay to win. It's about strategy. If you don't have any, or you have some abysmal top draws, that may be the cause of your loss.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@RoccoHout said:

@FelipeInside said:

@jimmy_russell said:

I've seen players with a starting deck and a few unlocks take down players with legendaries and that have spent money. It's all about strategy.

That's because it's it's a mild case of P2W, "P2W Lite" if you will ;) Also, it's very much RNG, which screws with both skill and P2W aspects.