I Hate Windows 8, Want To Install Windows 7.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Yes, I'm one of those so I don't wanna hear it.

Just got my hands on an laptop which has Windows 8.1 installed. Can I install Windows 7? And if I can, how?

I would appreciate any help you guys can offer. I know I should "Google it" but if you can nudge me in the right direction for a "How to install Windows 7 for dummies" I would be grateful.

Thanks.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Does your laptop have a cd drive?

If it does by a copy of windows 7, either a retail copy or digit download and burn it yourself.

Then when you have disc start pc with disc inserted, your pc will prompt you to boot from cd by pressing any key, do this.

When windows 7 installer loads, you should be able to select format disc, then install windows. 7

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#3 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Master_Live: Sure. Buy Windows 7 and install it on your computer using the provided instructions. Typically this means just booting off the provided media and following the prompts. You would have to do a clean install because there's no "downgrade" path from Windows 8 to Windows 7.

-Byshop

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Thanks to both of you.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

Don't do it. Simply install Classic Shell and enjoy the old windows 7 style with the speed of 8.1...

Problem solved!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@doozie78 said:

Don't do it. Simply install Classic Shell and enjoy the old windows 7 style with the speed of 8.1...

Problem solved!

This. Why would you spend more money buying a Win7 license when the laptop comes with 8.1, where you can put something like Classic Shell or Start8 ($5) and have basically the same OS just faster?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
@FelipeInside said:

@doozie78 said:

Problem solved!

This. Why would you spend more money buying a Win7 license when the laptop comes with 8.1, where you can put something like Classic Shell or Start8 ($5) and have basically the same OS just faster?

Windows 8 is a huge pain in the ass and has compatibility problems with more programs than I can shake a stick at. I just put it on yesterday and I've had to spend 12+ hours troubleshooting all the various problems it has, as well as it's awful UI.

It's a wee bit faster, sure, but I'd perfectly understand if someone doesn't want to fiddle around with Windows 8 for hours on end just to get a useable OS out of the experience. That classic shell stuff looks great, I think I'm going to have to download it.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts
@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

@doozie78 said:

Problem solved!

Windows 8 is a huge pain in the ass and has compatibility problems with more programs than I can shake a stick at. I just put it on yesterday and I've had to spend 12+ hours troubleshooting all the various problems it has, as well as it's awful UI.

It's a wee bit faster, sure, but I'd perfectly understand if someone doesn't want to fiddle around with Windows 8 for hours on end just to get a useable OS out of the experience. That classic shell stuff looks great, I think I'm going to have to download it.

LOL....

no

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cyloninside

@Master_Live said:

Yes, I'm one of those so I don't wanna hear it.

Just got my hands on an laptop which has Windows 8.1 installed. Can I install Windows 7? And if I can, how?

I would appreciate any help you guys can offer. I know I should "Google it" but if you can nudge me in the right direction for a "How to install Windows 7 for dummies" I would be grateful.

Thanks.

just freaking put classic shell on it and never use the metro menu.... windows 8 is better than windows 7 in every way.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KHAndAnime

@cyloninside said:
@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

@doozie78 said:

Problem solved!

LOL....

no

Yup. Windows 8 is easy for barebones users, but for enthusiasts, it can be potentially a huge headache. Had to spend a a couple hours just to figure out how to get Windows 8 from automatically detecting my Onkyo receiver (which isn't a monitor) as a primary monitor. Windows 7 never had that problem. On top of that, Windows 8 constantly likes to default back to the OS color configuration from my correctly calibrated colors. Windows 7 had the same problem but there was a solution for it. Doesn't seem to work here. Since you seem to know so much about Windows 8, want to spot me a solution?

(Tip: There isn't probably a solution, you'd be wasting your time, Windows 8 is a slight mess, likely won't be fixed).

In the mean time, I'm stuck here using an awful version of Corsair Link (controls CPU fans) because it happens to be the only one compatible with Windows 8. gg.

All of this troubleshooting for 2 seconds faster boot time?...Yea, l can understand why people don't want to use Windows 8. I'm going to use it because I like to look forward with optimism, but I'm not going to say it's been smooth sailing so far, any lazy or less tech-knowledgeable people running into the problems I've been running into would be SoL I feel like. All in all though, not a bad OS.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:

@cyloninside said:
@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

@doozie78 said:

Problem solved!

LOL....

no

Yup. Windows 8 is easy for barebones users, but for enthusiasts, it can be potentially a huge headache. Had to spend a a couple hours just to figure out how to get Windows 8 from automatically detecting my Onkyo receiver (which isn't a monitor) as a primary monitor. Windows 7 never had that problem. On top of that, Windows 8 constantly likes to default back to the OS color configuration from my correctly calibrated colors. Windows 7 had the same problem but there was a solution for it. Doesn't seem to work here. Since you seem to know so much about Windows 8, want to spot me a solution?

Windows 8 has the same compatibility problems as any new Windows OS has when it's released, but in general a lot less than past Windows.

It amazes me how people have so many problems. I've installed it on my home PC, have it at work, and also on friends and family PCs and apart from the Metro UI (which you can like or dislike), the rest works fine. And there's always ClassicShell or Start8 if the UI is really that hard for people to understand.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Make sure there are Win 7 Drivers for your computer first.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@cyloninside said:
@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

@doozie78 said:

Problem solved!

LOL....

no

Windows 8 has the same compatibility problems as any new Windows OS has when it's released, but in general a lot less than past Windows.

It amazes me how people have so many problems. I've installed it on my home PC, have it at work, and also on friends and family PCs and apart from the Metro UI (which you can like or dislike), the rest works fine. And there's always ClassicShell or Start8 if the UI is really that hard for people to understand.

MS fucked up. 8 is the #1 reason for compatibility issues and user problems for calls into my IT department

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cyloninside

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@cyloninside said:
@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

@doozie78 said:

Problem solved!

LOL....

no

MS fucked up. 8 is the #1 reason for compatibility issues and user problems for calls into my IT department

that must mean it is the same for everyone. it couldnt have anything to do with your environment at all.

dont worry guys. wis3boi cracked the case.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FelipeInside

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@cyloninside said:
@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

IT department? Are you talking about a department that maintains a domain environment?

If so, what bright spark decided to roll out Windows 8 to a domain? I wouldn't recommend that just yet, companies should be currently settling on Windows 7 with some leftover XP boxes.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Windows 8 and 8.1 must be bad as there giving up on it already next year. i also heard there concentrating on windows 9 and even going back to windows 7 for there main OS. I have tried 8.1 many times on my PC but always go back to windows 7 in the end. much faster for newer games but older games and accessories is not all that good.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside

@skipper847 said:

Windows 8 and 8.1 must be bad as there giving up on it already next year. i also heard there concentrating on windows 9 and even going back to windows 7 for there main OS. I have tried 8.1 many times on my PC but always go back to windows 7 in the end. much faster for newer games but older games and accessories is not all that good.

Who's they?

And what do you mean by "giving up"?

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

It is true Win 8 gives a horrible first impression. It did with me. But after a few days I learned to realize I never have to look at the stuff that you likely hate about it. Just stay in classic desktop view. You don't even need to install the classic shell (if you do that you may lose some of the performance gains that Win 8 has over 7), Win 8.1 works wonderfully for me and games perform great.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@cyloninside said:
@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

@doozie78 said:

Problem solved!

LOL....

no

Most businesses take a long time to switch to a new os just to avoid compatibility problems, they wait until it all gets worked out. Guess your work missed the memo on that one.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

@Qixote said:

It is true Win 8 gives a horrible first impression. It did with me. But after a few days I learned to realize I never have to look at the stuff that you likely hate about it. Just stay in classic desktop view. You don't even need to install the classic shell (if you do that you may lose some of the performance gains that Win 8 has over 7), Win 8.1 works wonderfully for me and games perform great.

I've not seen any noticeable performance loss with Classic Shell. Still very snappy on my desktop.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KHAndAnime

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

There are people who are fine using the OS as it comes, but you have to keep in mind there are people like me who like to use expensive speakers with my PC and use correctly calibrated colors - Windows 8 isn't very nice to people who like to get a little extra from their OS. If you don't ask more customization and abilities from your OS, I can see how it's very accommodating. I have run into tons of more specific problems that probably only happen due to compatibility errors with my hardware, I can't fault it for that, but I'm running into lots of problems that tons of people have and can't solve easily.

But hey, if you like to fix what isn't broken - Windows 8 is there for you.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Nick3306 said:

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@cyloninside said:
@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

@doozie78 said:

Problem solved!

LOL....

no

Most businesses take a long time to switch to a new os just to avoid compatibility problems, they wait until it all gets worked out. Guess your work missed the memo on that one.

my work isnt the one using win8, it's the hotels and their guests that do at the locations we put the networks on.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FelipeInside

@wis3boi said:

@Nick3306 said:

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@cyloninside said:
@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

@doozie78 said:

my work isnt the one using win8, it's the hotels and their guests that do at the locations we put the networks on.

But what kind of calls do you get? Is it the typical "Look, I don't know how to use this new menu, how do I connect to the network?".

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FelipeInside
@Qixote said:

You don't even need to install the classic shell (if you do that you may lose some of the performance gains that Win 8 has over 7)

Nope. Neither ClassicShell or Start8 (which I think is better than ClassicShell), have no impact whatsoever on the OS.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

It's the same shit but faster.

Install Classic Shell and disable the charm bar.

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

Win7 64 works like a dream.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KHAndAnime

@blutfahne said:

Seems to be better for overclocking too. From what I discovered, Windows 8 doesn't like overclocking very much. I thought it was my imagination but I'm seeing articles to support my theory. My completely tested and stable clocks and voltages weren't working on Windows 8. Furthermore, all the error codes seem to be switched around from what I can tell, so you can't easily tell what's causing the BSOD anymore.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:

@blutfahne said:

Seems to be better for overclocking too. From what I discovered, Windows 8 doesn't like overclocking very much. I thought it was my imagination but I'm seeing articles to support my theory. My completely tested and stable clocks and voltages weren't working on Windows 8. Furthermore, all the error codes seem to be switched around from what I can tell, so you can't easily tell what's causing the BSOD anymore.

OFF-TOPIC: is anyone's notification thingy not working? Mine shows up as blank so I can't tell if someone has responded to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

@doozie78 said:

Problem solved!

..... considering its compatible runs the same as windows 7 with practically everything, what on earth are you smoking?

TC ... don't be a dumbass, like it or not.... windows 7 only will be like XP in a few years... stop being a little b*tch and deal with change. hell windows 9 is out next year.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FelipeInside

@MBirdy88 said:

@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

@doozie78 said:
windows 7 only will be like XP in a few years...

Well, not really in a few years. Maybe around 2023:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/lifecycle

(I added 3 more years because MS will probably extend the support like they did with XP)

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

@doozie78 said:
windows 7 only will be like XP in a few years...

Well, not really in a few years. Maybe around 2023:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/lifecycle

(I added 3 more years because MS will probably extend the support like they did with XP)

I meant more along the lines of outdated U.I and features/performance more so than official microsoft support. there is next to no reason to be so stubborn about it.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

@doozie78 said:

Problem solved!

..... considering its compatible runs the same as windows 7 with practically everything, what on earth are you smoking?

false I have handful of older games and a few programs that work on 7 that dont work on 8.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FelipeInside

@MBirdy88 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

@doozie78 said:
I meant more along the lines of outdated U.I and features/performance more so than official microsoft support. there is next to no reason to be so stubborn about it.

True, and you're right people being stubborn, especially when they buy a PC with 8.1 on it. Windows 7 still has a lot of life left though, easily 5 years in the consumer market and probably 8-10 years in the business market.

@04dcarraher said:

false I have handful of older games and a few programs that work on 7 that dont work on 8.

Have you tried compatibility mode and run as administrator option? Same thing happened with me and Win7 with older games and I had to run them as XP.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

Have you tried compatibility mode and run as administrator option? Same thing happened with me and Win7 with older games and I had to run them as XP.

lol, most here wouldn't be complaining if they didnt do the typical workarounds and compatibility checks.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside

@04dcarraher said:

@04dcarraher said:

lol, most here wouldn't be complaining if they didnt do the typical workarounds and compatibility checks.

Just checking. I think that compatibility function was one of the best things MS ever invented, because it gets you out of trouble most of the time.

I'm curious though, which games and programs don't work with Windows 8?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KHAndAnime

@MBirdy88 said:

TC ... don't be a dumbass, like it or not.... windows 7 only will be like XP in a few years... stop being a little b*tch and deal with change. hell windows 9 is out next year.

"Practically everything"...except vital stuff like working CPU Fan software. :roll:

Like I said If you do nothing on your PC except browse the web and play a couple games on a casual setup, I'm sure you'll have no problems.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:

@MBirdy88 said:

except vital stuff like working CPU Fan software. :roll:

Dude, it's software.

It happens every time a new MS OS comes out. The company that does that software just needs to bring a new version compatible with Windows 8.

Can't believe people still don't understand this or haven't witnessed it in past releases.

For example, when Win8 was released, a program I use to create panoramic photos didn't work. I tried compatibility mode etc etc, no go. I contacted the company and they looked into it and then released a patch which fixed it. Sure, they should have tested their own software on 8 before it launched but hey, welcome to the world of IT.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

@Master_Live: Get a copy of Windows 7 then reboot your PC and go into the bios (typically by hitting DEL when the system starts up). Select Boot from CD/USB (whatever media you have windows 7 on) then follow the instructions to install Windows 7. Installing operating systems is typically painless but if you run into problems then google your laptop model + how to install windows 7.