I don't believe in sli

#1 Edited by thereal25 (360 posts) -

When the time comes for 4k gaming, hopefully just one high end gpu will cover it.

Agree?

#2 Posted by PredatorRules (7418 posts) -

When the time comes for 4k gaming, hopefully just one high end gpu will cover it.

Agree?

It is enough, to play on 30fps.

#3 Edited by krazyorange (2619 posts) -

I don't believe in god.

#4 Edited by thehig1 (1398 posts) -

SLI exists, so you not believing in it will not change the fact.

It also may shock you that Crossfire also exists

#5 Posted by Horgen (110055 posts) -

I assume the best GPU will at the end of this generation be able to play a lot of games at 60 fps in 4K res.. However hardcore players will play in 8K by that time. :P

#6 Posted by kraken2109 (13007 posts) -

wat

#7 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

I've had several SLI setups, and I never had any issues. SLI worked fine in every single game, even unsupported ones without SLI profiles (nVidia Control Panel -> Force "Alternate Frame Rendering"). Why right it off so easily?

#8 Posted by thereal25 (360 posts) -

@ horgen I'm actually hoping that that will be the case well before the end of this gen.

@ superclocked Pleased to hear that. But wouldn't buying two or three cards be more expensive and also give a higher chance of malfunction?

#9 Posted by Garfield360UK (19534 posts) -

I guess it will depend on the GPU. Mid level cards are likely going to struggle with it at first but like when 1920 by 1080 became the standard, newer cards will get better and better at running that level of resolution whilst maintaining the high end graphics levels. I don't use SLI or crossfire myself but that is down to me never really going with a top end PC. I go with a mid level machine usually (i.e. a decent CPU, GPU) and then upgrade it whenever it needs doing.

#10 Edited by airshocker (29041 posts) -

Eventually graphics cards will progress to the point where they can achieve 4k resolutions with fairly high frames per second. For the the foreseeable future, though, you'll need two cards.

#11 Edited by thereal25 (360 posts) -

Eventually graphics cards will progress to the point where they can achieve 4k resolutions with fairly high frames per second. For the the foreseeable future, though, you'll need two cards.

The titan black looks promising, but I wouldn't want to buy a new puter now because there just aren't enough things to upgrade.

I'd love to see ddr4 ram and usb 4.0 and I'd like to know where the future is headed in regards to how many cores the cpu should have.

It seems to me that consoles are still driving the market, so if the next gen of consoles are 8 core or 12 core then so should our computers.

Oh, and what about that uber bad ass card - I think it was called the titanz or something - selling for like $3,000 !

#12 Posted by Horgen (110055 posts) -

@airshocker said:

The titan black looks promising, but I wouldn't want to buy a new puter now because there just aren't enough things to upgrade.

I'd love to see ddr4 ram and usb 4.0 and I'd like to know where the future is headed in regards to how many cores the cpu should have.

It seems to me that consoles are still driving the market, so if the next gen of consoles are 8 core or 12 core then so should our computers.

Oh, and what about that uber bad ass card - I think it was called the titanz or something - selling for like $3,000 !

780 Ti in SLI beats the Titan except for VRAM...

#13 Edited by superclocked (5823 posts) -

@ superclocked Pleased to hear that. But wouldn't buying two or three cards be more expensive and also give a higher chance of malfunction?

No, quite the opposite if you get the right cards. For instance, two 4GB GTX 760's will outperform a GTX 780 by a good bit, will be cheaper, and also feature more VRAM. If you already have a GTX 760, get another one over upgrading to a better single card..

That being said, buying a single good card if you can afford it does have it's advantages. If you get a GTX 780 now, you have the option of adding another one later and having a very nice GTX 780 SLI setup...

#14 Posted by thereal25 (360 posts) -

@thereal25 said:

No, quite the opposite if you get the right cards. For instance, two 4GB GTX 760's will outperform a GTX 780 by a good bit, will be cheaper, and also feature more VRAM. If you already have a GTX 760, get another one over upgrading to a better single card..

That being said, buying a single good card if you can afford it does have it's advantages. If you get a GTX 780 now, you have the option of adding another one later and having a very nice GTX 780 SLI setup...

Fair enough.

But I'm not a huge fan of tinkering around, so I'll probably wait years and years until I can only play games on medium settings - and by then my gpu will be so prehistoric that nothing but a new card would make sense.

I get more excited from DRAMATIC upgrades you see. :)

#15 Edited by PredatorRules (7418 posts) -

so I'll probably wait years and years until I can only play games on medium settings

I don't see a reason why, just play on 1080p on max settings.

4K is nothing but a sharper picture

#16 Edited by Horgen (110055 posts) -

@ horgen I'm actually hoping that that will be the case well before the end of this gen.

I think it will take more time than that. We also need proper 4K gaming monitors.

#17 Edited by 04dcarraher (19263 posts) -

SLI is a good option, in 2007 I had a 8800GT and in 2008 I upgraded my monitor and needed more gpu power for the higher resolution instead of spending more the $400 on a new GTX 270+ I was able to pick up another 8800GT for $100 there by nearly doubling my gpu power for much less and that SLI setup lasted all the way into mid 2011.

#18 Posted by Alienware_fan (1515 posts) -

@horgen said:

I assume the best GPU will at the end of this generation be able to play a lot of games at 60 fps in 4K res.. However hardcore players will play in 8K by that time. :P

Hardcore players play at 1080p. not 4k or 1600p.

#19 Edited by Bikouchu35 (7351 posts) -

Now with bridge-less xfire and 4gb gddr5. Lol.

#20 Posted by thereal25 (360 posts) -

@ Horgen I've seen proper 4k gaming monitors. Samsung 28inch, 1ms response time, 3840x2160 resolution and 1 BILLION colours! Retailing for approx. $750 in Australia (which is quite a lot I know)

@ 04dcarraher I respect that but all the foofing around, extra heat, noise, power consumption etc...

@ PredatorRules Maybe, but buying a WHOLE NEW computer that is vastly superior in every way... well you just have to try it!

#21 Posted by soolkiki (1746 posts) -

Come to believe.

#22 Posted by Byshop (11157 posts) -

@superclocked said:

@thereal25 said:

Fair enough.

But I'm not a huge fan of tinkering around, so I'll probably wait years and years until I can only play games on medium settings - and by then my gpu will be so prehistoric that nothing but a new card would make sense.

I get more excited from DRAMATIC upgrades you see. :)

That's just it, SLI is for tinkerers. Whether SLI is the next logical choice for someone really just depends on budget, circumstances, and the overall goal they are trying to achieve. Sometimes, if your existing card is a bit older and you already have an SLI board, the most cost effective upgrade you can get might be just picking up a second one of the card you already have.

If you're building out a new system, my preference would generally be one higher end card over two mid range cards if both will get me comparable performance. But even if you get the single fastest card on the market, you could always add a second one down the road...

-Byshop

#23 Edited by insane_metalist (5975 posts) -

Running 2-Way SLI GTX 760 and running 2-Way SLI GTX 780 Ti. I've NEVER experienced one issue. If I EVER ran into a problem, I would disable SLI and run that particular game with a single GPU. It's that easy! Nvidia has been doing an amazing job with their drivers! SLI is simply awesome.
I want to buy another R9 290 but I'm afraid Crossfire will be nothing but a nightmare.. at least that's what I'm seeing from many people that run Crossfire.

#24 Edited by thereal25 (360 posts) -

@insane_metalist:

I've got a gtx590 but I can barely see the point in paying $200 for another one.

At the moment I'm only interested in playing at 1920x1080 and I don't care if everything is maxed or not - it doesn't make that much difference.

Heck, even the difference between high and medium settings isn't that huge if you think about it.

Plus, I like to keep my puters as "green" as possible - within reason of course!

#25 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2417 posts) -

Used both crossfire and sli once and always had countless issues.

Never again.

I'll just stick to getting a single high end card every 2 gens.(XX80) Next purchase will be a gtx 880.

#26 Edited by 04dcarraher (19263 posts) -

@ 04dcarraher I respect that but all the foofing around, extra heat, noise, power consumption etc...

Fooling around? how is it fooling around all you do is throw in a 2nd card its no different from throwing in the 1st. Pc building and gaming is about tinkering and learning and building hands on experience etc. If you think that way maybe you should go with a console for gaming then.

With my SLI setup it, 8800GT had a TDP of 105w so you added another one so your looking at a total of 210w. So what were the other choices in 2008 that were to match 8800GT SLI, only the GTX 275 or GTX 280 which both used more power and produced more heat 219w TDP for the 275, and 236 for GTX 280. Noise on the other hand with those single slot coolers had a fan that sounded like hairdryers so it really didnt add more noise. But after a few weeks I got DuOrb coolers for them and their high noise and temps went away.

#27 Edited by 04dcarraher (19263 posts) -

Running 2-Way SLI GTX 760 and running 2-Way SLI GTX 780 Ti. I've NEVER experienced one issue. If I EVER ran into a problem, I would disable SLI and run that particular game with a single GPU. It's that easy! Nvidia has been doing an amazing job with their drivers! SLI is simply awesome.

I want to buy another R9 290 but I'm afraid Crossfire will be nothing but a nightmare.. at least that's what I'm seeing from many people that run Crossfire.

Crossfire is a mess the frame timing is awful and is worse with direct x 9 based games.

#28 Posted by insane_metalist (5975 posts) -

@insane_metalist said:

Crossfire is a mess the frame timing is awful and is worse with direct x 9 based games.

I noticed, that's why I'm sticking to one 290 for now. Speaking of noise.. two of my GTX 780 TI(s) are silent. I can't even hear my build at all.

#29 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

Used both crossfire and sli once and always had countless issues.

Never again.

I'll just stick to getting a single high end card every 2 gens.(XX80) Next purchase will be a gtx 880.

What cards did you SLI? I never had a single problem with any of my SLI setups...

#30 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

@insane_metalist said:

AMD is supposed to release a fix for frame pacing problems in crossfire setups very soon if they haven't already. Last year, they announced that single GPU frame pacing was fixed and that multi GPU would be fixed within a few months.

#31 Posted by thereal25 (360 posts) -

@thereal25 said:

Fooling around? how is it fooling around all you do is throw in a 2nd card its no different from throwing in the 1st. Pc building and gaming is about tinkering and learning and building hands on experience etc. If you think that way maybe you should go with a console for gaming then.

With my SLI setup it, 8800GT had a TDP of 105w so you added another one so your looking at a total of 210w. So what were the other choices in 2008 that were to match 8800GT SLI, only the GTX 275 or GTX 280 which both used more power and produced more heat 219w TDP for the 275, and 236 for GTX 280. Noise on the other hand with those single slot coolers had a fan that sounded like hairdryers so it really didnt add more noise. But after a few weeks I got DuOrb coolers for them and their high noise and temps went away.

I said foofing around which has a slightly different meaning.

But anyway, I'm glad you mentioned all that because it only confirms my initial hunch. I just found out that the tdp of the gtx590 is a whopping 365w!!!

Also it recommends one to have at least a 700w psu. Now I have an 850w psu, so having two 590s doesn't seem too smart now does it?

Another thing I found out is that the TITAN black only has a tdp rating of 250w which confirms what I thought about newer technology being more power efficient.

Oh, and another thing I'm glad you mentioned is the heat issue. Having to concern myself over that just doesn't sound like fun to me.

#32 Posted by 04dcarraher (19263 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

@thereal25 said:

I said foofing around which has a slightly different meaning.

But anyway, I'm glad you mentioned all that because it only confirms my initial hunch. I just found out that the tdp of the gtx590 is a whopping 365w!!!

Also it recommends one to have at least a 700w psu. Now I have an 850w psu, so having two 590s doesn't seem too smart now does it?

Another thing I found out is that the TITAN black only has a tdp rating of 250w which confirms what I thought about newer technology being more power efficient.

Oh, and another thing I'm glad you mentioned is the heat issue. Having to concern myself over that just doesn't sound like fun to me.

It all depends on the manufacturing process and type of cooling the card has, cooling noise and heat produce can minimized. On a side note though those single slot coolers on those 8800GT's were not up to the task of keeping the card cool enough and quiet it enough.