I do I keep my motherboard cool?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (1500 posts) -

I have noticed that sometimes my motherboard runs hot (sometimes over 200 degrees F) and this really makes me nervous. I have an HAF 932 AMD edition case will all of the stock fans , but what should I do to keep my motherboard cool? Also, is that too hot for a motherboard or is it perfectly fine?

Thanks!

#2 Posted by 04dcarraher (19665 posts) -

It may be time to look at the heatsink on the motherboard chipset and see if it needs ti be reseated.

#3 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -
What motherboard do you have?
#4 Posted by topgunmv (10246 posts) -

It may be time to look at the heatsink on the motherboard chipset and see if it needs ti be reseated.

04dcarraher

Also some motherboards come with 2 coolers, active and passive.

If that's the case and you're using the passive cooler, stick that fan on there.

#5 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (1500 posts) -

What motherboard do you have?superclocked

I have an ASRock 870 Extreme 3

#6 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -
Yeah, reseat the heatsink with some better thermal paste and put a 70mm or 60mm fan on it, whichever will fit...
#7 Posted by aesir05 (94 posts) -

You've got some good replies already.

I'll say that watch a youtube vid on the appropriate amount of thermal paste to be used

#8 Posted by Yams1980 (778 posts) -

many motherboards rely on having a cpu fan blowing around that area, so when you switch to cpu water cooling sometimes you have to add a fan to help counter the loss of the cpu fan. same goes if you switch to water cooling on a gpu... the gpus memory still needs some kinda of air flow to help cool it.

My old case and motherboard i had to do this cause it didn't have a side fan on the case, but my current one has a huge fan on the side of the case which cools almost every inch of the motherboard...

if your not getting bluescreens i wouldnt worry about it. as long as your cpus not above 70c too long

#9 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (1500 posts) -

many motherboards rely on having a cpu fan blowing around that area, so when you switch to cpu water cooling sometimes you have to add a fan to help counter the loss of the cpu fan. same goes if you switch to water cooling on a gpu... the gpus memory still needs some kinda of air flow to help cool it.

My old case and motherboard i had to do this cause it didn't have a side fan on the case, but my current one has a huge fan on the side of the case which cools almost every inch of the motherboard...

if your not getting bluescreens i wouldnt worry about it. as long as your cpus not above 70c too long

Yams1980

I am not getting blue screns at all. My CPU usually stays pretty cool, but like I said its the motherboard. Is this hot for a motherboard?

#10 Posted by kraken2109 (13067 posts) -

My motherboard has been reading 70c for a while now. I guess I should reseat the heatsink but I can't be bothered really. It's not actually causing any problems. For all i know the sensor could be wrong.

#11 Posted by N8A (18602 posts) -
Where are you seeing these temp on the board? Is it the mosfets and chokes? If so you should double check that the Mosfet heatsink is making proper contact.
#12 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (1500 posts) -

Where are you seeing these temp on the board? Is it the mosfets and chokes? If so you should double check that the Mosfet heatsink is making proper contact. N8A

I have been having a lot of lag with Skyrim so I reduced the settings from Ultra to High because I have a heavily modded version. I was still getting some general lag so I got Razer Game booster and that seems to help a lot. The game booster has temp readings of all of your hardware and everything else is reading fine, but my motherboard is by far the hotest however, it could be wrong because I have had no hardware problems recently.

#13 Posted by 04dcarraher (19665 posts) -
Lag in game can be over saturating video memory check memory usage
#14 Posted by adamosmaki (9645 posts) -
Also sometimes motherboard sensors might have fault readings Do what others said ( reseat the heatsing with a decent thermal paste ) but as long as you dont have blue screens/freezes/restarts i wouldnt worry since sensor readings is not exactly uncommon to be faulty
#15 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (1500 posts) -

Lag in game can be over saturating video memory check memory usage04dcarraher

Thanks everyone! And I had a question about this ^^^. How exactly would I correct that?

#16 Posted by clyde46 (46551 posts) -

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]Lag in game can be over saturating video memory check memory usageMighty-Lu-Bu

Thanks everyone! And I had a question about this ^^^. How exactly would I correct that?

Lose some of the mods. Also, be careful when reseating heatsinks on mobo's. Make sure you don't rock the heatsink back and forth as you can actually crack the top of heat spreader.