I can not believe I say this but Windows 8 is just great

This topic is locked from further discussion.

II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 II-Siamak-II
Member since 2012 • 480 Posts

So as a computer tech I always hated Win 8 and refused to install it on my main gaming rig even tho I got a free copy of Win 8 Pro from work. So last week I got my GTX 780 which comes with a UEFI firmware on it and I said you know what? I'm gonna install Win 8 in full UEFI mode and see how it goes. setup my MB. GFX and Bios to UEFI and installed a fresh copy of Win 8, WOW.....my PC literally Boots from a cold start in 5 sec from the time my Bios logo to the time windows 8 gets in Start screen. Im so amazed by this to the point I'm going to make a youtube video out of it. So I installed all updates, Drivers, etc...and bunch of drivers were already set from Win 8 like my intel USB 3.0 and some things that I had to optimize in Windows 7 for my SSD, were natively pre optomized by Windows 8.

now to the important part. I did several testings with bunch of recent games and pretty much every single game I ran so far, played much smoother than Windows 7, but I have to install and play bunch of old games to do some more testing. and my only issue and compain I had was Start menu and that is pretty much fixe 100% with a small 4mb program called StartIsBack, I just love it and I don't think I can go back to Windows 7 now unless I notice some severe performance/technical issue.

I just wanted to share my experience with you guys, so If you ever wanna buy a computer that has Windows 8 on it or you are building one and hesitant if you should get Windows 8 or not, I would say go for it. it is a much faster, smoother OS.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

You should blog this instead, hardly seems like something we can discuss.  For the record, I didn't like windows 8.

Dequan1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dequan1233
Member since 2009 • 107 Posts
ill stick to my vista...........ill upgrade it later :D
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I don't mind Windows 8. I need one of this though:

Logitech T650

s0563645_sc7?$splssku$

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Windows 8 is fine if you use start8 or something to bring back the start menu. I used Windows 8 when it was new w/o the start menu and I thought I didn't mind. Then I installed start8 and forgot what I was missing.

Bootup times and overall speed of Windows 8 is better.

Usability, is worse in every way though. UAC cannot be completely disabled, and random utilities are gone(the ability to see saved wireless networks is gone for some reason)

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

W8 sucks, on the other hand, W8.1 is sweeeeeeeeet.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

I agree IMO Windows 8 is a pretty good upgrade from 7 and is definitely worth getting over Windows 7 for a new build. Upgrading from 7 is also worth it but I know some would disagree and that is fine, because if I had to spend $70+ for an upgrade I would prefer to buy something else. I like some of the apps like slacker and netflix, which are great if you got your PC plugged into a TV, it can mount discs, and the boot up time is just amazing even on a HDD. I am looking forward to Windows 8.1 in October for some improvements and fixes, but other than that it is great. Also, for those who say you need a touchscreen or it is only made for tablets that is a load of crap, and those whining about the removal of the Start menu I dont see why it easy to bring it back and I dont really see the point of why people need it. If someone can give me a reason of what is so special about the start menu please do, because I did not use it in Windows 7 and when I did download the mod I realized I dont use it at all.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jun_aka_pekto

Also, for those who say you need a touchscreen that is a load of s***

redskins26rocs

The reason why I want a touch pad is because it's much easier to stack and access apps at the left of the screen with one rather than using a mouse.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="redskins26rocs"]

jun_aka_pekto

The reason why I want a touch pad is because it's much easier to stack and access apps at the left of the screen with one rather than using a mouse.

nah

maybe on a laptop vs'n a touchpad, but touch doesn't compare to a mouse

on a desktop, your monitor is way too high for that to be convenient

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

[QUOTE="redskins26rocs"]

jun_aka_pekto

I was not referring to your comment, but I am curious how is it easier?

Also, I have been wondering if the minimum res is 1366x768 then how do I use it on 1360x768. I have read that it is only required for the swap feature (?) yet I believe I still have this feature

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="redskins26rocs"]

redskins26rocs

I was not referring to your comment, but I am curious how is it easier?

Also, I have been wondering if the minimum res is 1366x768 then how do I use it on 1360x768. I have read that it is only required for the swap feature (?) yet I believe I still have this feature

I like that feature of Windows 8 (Metro). It worked on all the touchscreen laptops I tried it on (probably all 1366x768 or better). It's simply much easier for me with a touch pad (or touchscreen) than using a mouse. I want to make full use of Metro. So, a touch pad is an essential accessory. I'll save the mouse for the times I'm gaming on the lappie. 

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="redskins26rocs"]

JigglyWiggly_

nah

maybe on a laptop vs'n a touchpad, but touch doesn't compare to a mouse

on a desktop, your monitor is way too high for that to be convenient

Well, I will be using the touch pad with my laptop. Of course, that's only while I'm in Metro. Once I game, it's back to the mouse.

SSgt_Edward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SSgt_Edward
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Wow, thx for sharing... Though still cannot imagine that Win8 could make games smoother!
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Windows 8 at its core is a better operating system. Usability is the only thing that really suffered.

II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 II-Siamak-II

Wow, thx for sharing... Though still cannot imagine that Win8 could make games smoother!SSgt_Edward

Actually I tought the same but this is the main reason I took a leap of fait and I'm extreme glad that I did. i came to same conclusion as Linus in the video bellow that mostly my Min FPS improved in almost every game I tested and as a result of that I had a much smoother gameplay. even with my GTX 780 I had some sort of Micro Stutter in some games, such as Black Ops 2, The witcher 2, etc... not all games but more evident in some. come to my surprise Windows 8 so far in my testings all those Stutters/fps drops/etc... are gone. again I'll be doing more testing but so far I'm extremely pleased with the results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHnsfIJtZ2o

TheGrinchh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheGrinchh
Member since 2013 • 254 Posts

I'm pretty happy with W8 too, I must say.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I've got it on my laptop and installed a start button. I like that it loads up really quick. It's not a bad OS, but I definitely prefer Windows 7 still. Might just be because I'm used to it though.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
I've said this from the start and everybody trashed me. Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with a new menu but otherwise better in every way (except a few compatibility issues with some older games that always happens when a new OS is launched). Don't like the Metro Menu? Spend $5 and get Start8. Simple.
II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 II-Siamak-II

I've said this from the start and everybody trashed me. Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with a new menu but otherwise better in every way (except a few compatibility issues with some older games that always happens when a new OS is launched). Don't like the Metro Menu? Spend $5 and get Start8. Simple.FelipeInside

Yea Felipe, I was actually one of those people who flamed everyone praise Win 8 and i'm sorry. I love it in everyway, but i'm doing some tests and I found little tiny glitches that i'm sure will get ironed out and gets better in time with Windows 8.1 coming up and updates and such. Also I think StartIsBack is better than Start8 but it's matter of taste

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I've said this from the start and everybody trashed me. Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with a new menu but otherwise better in every way (except a few compatibility issues with some older games that always happens when a new OS is launched). Don't like the Metro Menu? Spend $5 and get Start8. Simple.II-Siamak-II

Yea Felipe, I was actually one of those people who flamed everyone praise Win 8 and i'm sorry. I love it in everyway, but i'm doing some tests and I found little tiny glitches that i'm sure will get ironed out and gets better in time with Windows 8.1 coming up and updates and such. Also I think StartIsBack is better than Start8 but it's matter of taste

Yeah well I only tried Start8 and it worked from the start so I stuck with that. I vary between the Start8 Menu and the Metro Menu. As for glitches, every OS has them at the start. For example FIFA13, sometimes in-game the menus will disappear. A recent EA patch has fixed that. Saying that, Windows 7 and 8 are actually pretty stable and glitch free considering. Windows 8.1 has just improved on Windows 8 in almost every way. The new start menu button was much needed because I really never liked the hot corner. It's just normal human behaviour. Our race HATES change, they fight against it in every way. But sometimes change IS good, you just need to learn the new way in life.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

i was forced into using it when i got a new pc at work. 

it's a bit unintuitive but after half an hour i was using it like a boss. no big deal

danxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 danxxx
Member since 2005 • 687 Posts

waiting for 8.1

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I've said this from the start and everybody trashed me. Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with a new menu but otherwise better in every way (except a few compatibility issues with some older games that always happens when a new OS is launched). Don't like the Metro Menu? Spend $5 and get Start8. Simple.

There is the account where there are people who have tried Windows 8 and they really didn't like it and prefer just to stay with Win 7 which is absolutely fine. Why pay $90 or whatever to upgrade? And then there are the internet comments. The bandwagon comments on account that these people never even tried Win 8. I'm sure it's mostly troll comments that came your way. From what I've seen, the people that preferred Win 7 gave valid reasons why they didn't need to upgrade to Win 8. I feel like Win8 threads are religious seminars of people trying to convert people. The Win 8 converters are just as bad as the Win 8-haters imo. Leave it be. If your OS works fine. Who gives a fvk? Let it go, and get over it. Ya'll act like you have no lives.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I've said this from the start and everybody trashed me. Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with a new menu but otherwise better in every way (except a few compatibility issues with some older games that always happens when a new OS is launched). Don't like the Metro Menu? Spend $5 and get Start8. Simple.Elann2008
There is the account where there are people who have tried Windows 8 and they really didn't like it and prefer just to stay with Win 7 which is absolutely fine. Why pay $90 or whatever to upgrade? And then there are the internet comments. The bandwagon comments on account that these people never even tried Win 8. I'm sure it's mostly troll comments that came your way. From what I've seen, the people that preferred Win 7 gave valid reasons why they didn't need to upgrade to Win 8. I feel like Win8 threads are religious seminars of people trying to convert people. The Win 8 converters are just as bad as the Win 8-haters imo. Leave it be. If your OS works fine. Who gives a fvk? Let it go, and get over it. Ya'll act like you have no lives.

Oh of course.

I even said back then multiple times that if you had Windows 7 there really wasn't any reason to upgrade unless you wanted to have the boot speeds and extra features etc.

I didn't even install Windows 8 a few months after launch, I only finished up installing it cause my Win7 install was already 4 years old and it was dragging along.

I also said back then that Windows 8 was only worth it for people who were building new rigs, or were due for a format/reinstall.  

Currently, and with Win 8.1, if u buy a new rig there really isn't any reason to put Win7 on there unless you don't want to pay for the OS and have a Win7 Key.

II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 II-Siamak-II

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I've said this from the start and everybody trashed me. Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with a new menu but otherwise better in every way (except a few compatibility issues with some older games that always happens when a new OS is launched). Don't like the Metro Menu? Spend $5 and get Start8. Simple.FelipeInside

Oh of course.

I even said back then multiple times that if you had Windows 7 there really wasn't any reason to upgrade unless you wanted to have the boot speeds and extra features etc.

I didn't even install Windows 8 a few months after launch, I only finished up installing it cause my Win7 install was already 4 years old and it was dragging along.

I also said back then that Windows 8 was only worth it for people who were building new rigs, or were due for a format/reinstall.  

Currently, and with Win 8.1, if u buy a new rig there really isn't any reason to put Win7 on there unless you don't want to pay for the OS and have a Win7 Key.

My 3 main reason was :

1. Full native UEFI Bootup with GTX 700 series

2. Native SSD optomization

3. In my case better/smoother gaming performance

SSgt_Edward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SSgt_Edward

[QUOTE="SSgt_Edward"]Wow, thx for sharing... Though still cannot imagine that Win8 could make games smoother!II-Siamak-II

Actually I tought the same but this is the main reason I took a leap of fait and I'm extreme glad that I did. i came to same conclusion as Linus in the video bellow that mostly my Min FPS improved in almost every game I tested and as a result of that I had a much smoother gameplay. even with my GTX 780 I had some sort of Micro Stutter in some games, such as Black Ops 2, The witcher 2, etc... not all games but more evident in some. come to my surprise Windows 8 so far in my testings all those Stutters/fps drops/etc... are gone. again I'll be doing more testing but so far I'm extremely pleased with the results.

Really useful infos. I am going to upgrade my hardware(motherboard and etc.) and reinstall my OS next month, and I was wondering whether I should try Win7-64bit or directly up to Win8. For now, I decide to try Win8:)
II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 II-Siamak-II

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

[QUOTE="SSgt_Edward"]Wow, thx for sharing... Though still cannot imagine that Win8 could make games smoother!SSgt_Edward

Really useful infos. I am going to upgrade my hardware(motherboard and etc.) and reinstall my OS next month, and I was wondering whether I should try Win7-64bit or directly up to Win8. For now, I decide to try Win8:)

I say if you are building a new system, give Win 8 a try, or at the very least try the preview version, it does deserve a chance and you might end up loving it. especially if you have a hardware that natively support UEFI. if so then the real winner is Win 8

SSgt_Edward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SSgt_Edward

[QUOTE="SSgt_Edward"][QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

II-Siamak-II

I say if you are building a new system, give Win 8 a try, or at the very least try the preview version, it does deserve a chance and you might end up loving it. especially if you have a hardware that natively support UEFI. if so then the real winner is Win 8

In my preconception of Win8, I thought it would be a transitional OS or a cross-platform prototype, so I didn't even notice its advent. Now I know I should take it seriously, and it does contain some significant improvements. Thx for the tips again, I will take UEFI into consideration when I pick hardwares.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

It's a decent OS but it takes some getting used to. I like the apps but preferred the old start menu. Also the rights management is utter shit, wish someone reminded Microsoft what an administrator is supposed to be.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#30 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

So as a computer tech I always hated Win 8 and refused to install it on my main gaming rig even tho I got a free copy of Win 8 Pro from work. So last week I got my GTX 780 which comes with a UEFI firmware on it and I said you know what? I'm gonna install Win 8 in full UEFI mode and see how it goes. setup my MB. GFX and Bios to UEFI and installed a fresh copy of Win 8, WOW.....my PC literally Boots from a cold start in 5 sec from the time my Bios logo to the time windows 8 gets in Start screen. Im so amazed by this to the point I'm going to make a youtube video out of it. So I installed all updates, Drivers, etc...and bunch of drivers were already set from Win 8 like my intel USB 3.0 and some things that I had to optimize in Windows 7 for my SSD, were natively pre optomized by Windows 8.

now to the important part. I did several testings with bunch of recent games and pretty much every single game I ran so far, played much smoother than Windows 7, but I have to install and play bunch of old games to do some more testing. and my only issue and compain I had was Start menu and that is pretty much fixe 100% with a small 4mb program called StartIsBack, I just love it and I don't think I can go back to Windows 7 now unless I notice some severe performance/technical issue.

I just wanted to share my experience with you guys, so If you ever wanna buy a computer that has Windows 8 on it or you are building one and hesitant if you should get Windows 8 or not, I would say go for it. it is a much faster, smoother OS.

II-Siamak-II
The problem with Win 8 is its not enough of a improvement over Win 7 and despite it being as stable and as problemfree on most systems, there is enough to warrent a change from win 7. But other than that Win 8 is a decent Os and do you have a touchscreen its even better.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jun_aka_pekto

I don't think I'd buy Windows 8 as a replacement for Windows 7. But, if it came with say, a laptop? I'm fine with it.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#32 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

Any improvements they have made are outweighed by the undeniable fact that it was an OS designed with touchscreen tablets and other devices in mind first, not PCs. The "one size fits all" approach Microsoft has taken is a collossal mistake.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

I've said this from the start and everybody trashed me. FelipeInside

LOL so true. 

I remember those threads. 

My rig is getting old... 5 years next month, Vista 64 home premium.  I will build a new one by end next year, and I will be going with Windows 8.1 64bit. 

I will just be doing Music Production (people in the threads that use most of the same programs I do, don't have big issues with Windows 8)

And Gaming. (which I hear from most people that there is even less of an issue there) Even some positve results like this thread here!

Also, these issues will continue to shrink as the OS is more widely adopted.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I've said this from the start and everybody trashed me. Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with a new menu but otherwise better in every way (except a few compatibility issues with some older games that always happens when a new OS is launched). Don't like the Metro Menu? Spend $5 and get Start8. Simple.FelipeInside

Oh of course.

Yeah, if they made a cool offer again like the super-cheap upgrade back when they were promoting it, it would be nice.. but why would MS do that again. I don't like Windows 7 for one very annoying reason and it's the corruption of data files in the windows folder. It's been very annoying and I had to do 5-6 windows reinstallations. I've never had that issue with Vista and many hated Vista. If the smoother, more optimized experience on the desktop and gaming is true, I wouldn't mind upgrading if the price was right. I just can't justify spending that at the moment with other expenses on the horizon.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside
^^ Corruption of files? Weird....what kind? I only had one Windows 7 install and it lasted me nearly 4 years without any major issues.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Elann2008

^^ Corruption of files? Weird....what kind? I only had one Windows 7 install and it lasted me nearly 4 years without any major issues.FelipeInside
It isn't weird. Maybe for you but it happens all the time... just google it dude.  Windows drivers always get corrupted and crash.  Apparently it's "normal."

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]^^ Corruption of files? Weird....what kind? I only had one Windows 7 install and it lasted me nearly 4 years without any major issues.Elann2008

It isn't weird. Maybe for you but it happens all the time... just google it dude.  Windows drivers always get corrupted and crash.  Apparently it's "normal."

Oh the drivers, right. I thought u meant just normal stored files.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Wasdie  Moderator

I've said this from the start and everybody trashed me. Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with a new menu but otherwise better in every way (except a few compatibility issues with some older games that always happens when a new OS is launched). Don't like the Metro Menu? Spend $5 and get Start8. Simple.FelipeInside

Nobody should have to buy a 3rd party control on software that is supposed to be an upgrade. 

I don't care about the Modern UI and I think it's great for tablets, but they could have easily implemented a standard desktop ported directly from Windows 7 for desktop and laptop users without a touchscreen. This was just a major mistake in a long line of mistakes that Microsoft has made with this software and their tablet line.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I've said this from the start and everybody trashed me. Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with a new menu but otherwise better in every way (except a few compatibility issues with some older games that always happens when a new OS is launched). Don't like the Metro Menu? Spend $5 and get Start8. Simple.Wasdie

Nobody should have to buy a 3rd party control on software that is supposed to be an upgrade. 

I don't care about the Modern UI and I think it's great for tablets, but they could have easily implemented a standard desktop ported directly from Windows 7 for desktop and laptop users without a touchscreen. This was just a major mistake in a long line of mistakes that Microsoft has made with this software and their tablet line.

It's called CHANGE.

Are you saying that you have never installed a third party software to make your Windows more comfortable and useful in some way? C'mon, everyone does it but all of a sudden you bring up Start8 or similar products and it's the same old "nobody should...."

But on your point, ur right. Nobody really NEEDS to install Start8 since the new menu works just like the old one, with things in different places. Now with 8.1 it works even better with the start button since I really never liked the hot corner. But thanks to companies like Stardock, the old menu is still there available for those that can't move on.

As for tablet line and stuff, MS HAD to get into the mobile market. It's where the $$$ is now. Google and Apple have been there for years and chipping away at Microsoft's usual revenue so they had no choice but to enter that market. And tbh, they have done pretty well because at least they just didn't bring out another mobile OS with Grid Icons and the same functionality as Android, iOS and Blackberry. They actually created something entirely new that works pretty well, and by the looks of Windows 8.1, the rumours of Windows Phone 8.1 and future features, it's getting better.

INF1DEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 INF1DEL
Member since 2006 • 2083 Posts

I really don't understand why they made it boot to Metro. If they had made Metro an app on the desktop (like evey other Windows app ever) instead of the other way around there would probably be about 10% as many people complaining about it. The tablet version could be made to boot straight to Metro but the desktop version shouldn't. It seems like they just changed for the sake of change.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FelipeInside

I really don't understand why they made it boot to Metro. If they had made Metro an app on the desktop (like evey other Windows app ever) instead of the other way around there would probably be about 10% as many people complaining about it. The tablet version could be made to boot straight to Metro but the desktop version shouldn't. It seems like they just changed for the sake of change.

INF1DEL

They added the option to boot to desktop.

And Metro isn't an app, it's the Windows Menu.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I've said this from the start and everybody trashed me. Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with a new menu but otherwise better in every way (except a few compatibility issues with some older games that always happens when a new OS is launched). Don't like the Metro Menu? Spend $5 and get Start8. Simple.FelipeInside

It's called CHANGE.

Are you saying that you have never installed a third party software to make your Windows more comfortable and useful in some way? C'mon, everyone does it but all of a sudden you bring up Start8 or similar products and it's the same old "nobody should...."

But on your point, ur right. Nobody really NEEDS to install Start8 since the new menu works just like the old one, with things in different places. Now with 8.1 it works even better with the start button since I really never liked the hot corner. But thanks to companies like Stardock, the old menu is still there available for those that can't move on.

As for tablet line and stuff, MS HAD to get into the mobile market. It's where the $$$ is now. Google and Apple have been there for years and chipping away at Microsoft's usual revenue so they had no choice but to enter that market. And tbh, they have done pretty well because at least they just didn't bring out another mobile OS with Grid Icons and the same functionality as Android, iOS and Blackberry. They actually created something entirely new that works pretty well, and by the looks of Windows 8.1, the rumours of Windows Phone 8.1 and future features, it's getting better.

A change that resulted in a pretty significant downgrade for mouse and keyboard users. It's pretty significant if the method that was proven to work for 20 years is all of a sudden removed by something that isn't nearly as intuitive or useful. I've never had to install a 3rd party control on Windows to provide lost functionality during an upgrade.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

It's called CHANGE.

A change that resulted in a pretty significant downgrade for mouse and keyboard users. It's pretty significant if the method that was proven to work for 20 years is all of a sudden removed by something that isn't nearly as intuitive or useful. I've never had to install a 3rd party control on Windows to provide lost functionality during an upgrade.

Significant downgrade for whom? The people that played around with it 10 minutes at the shop and said it was crap? Or the people that actually took the time to learn it and are now using it just like they were using the old menu? People seem to forget that with every new Windows the Start Menu changed, with probably only Vista and Win7 having very similar menus. This is just another change to also incorporate mobile devices. Now I agree when Win8 first came out it took a while to get used to, and some things were a bit weird with MS/KB. Most of that has been fixed now with 8.1 and will only continue to improve. Really, my mum had to buy a new laptop cause her 8 year old Fujistu Windows XP was just too slow. It took her less than a week to learn the menu with a few tips from me and now she uses it without no issues (and she's not that good with computers). It's just human nature, people hate change, even if it's for the better, which most of Win8 is.
INF1DEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 INF1DEL

[QUOTE="INF1DEL"]

FelipeInside

I was under the impression that you can boot to desktop on Win8.1 which isn't released yet.

My point was that Metro could have been an app on the desktop. Instead they decided to change the way that Windows has always worked for no apparent reason.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="INF1DEL"]

INF1DEL

I was under the impression that you can boot to desktop on Win8.1 which isn't released yet.

My point was that Metro could have been an app on the desktop. Instead they decided to change the way that Windows has always worked for no apparent reason.

Correct, Win8.1 has the option to boot to desktop (some people already have the Preview installed). Programs like Start8 also have the option to boot to desktop. I don't get what u mean by Metro as an app on the desktop cause Metro is actually the Start Menu now. You want to the Start Menu to be an app on the desktop?
INF1DEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 INF1DEL

[QUOTE="INF1DEL"]

FelipeInside

Correct, Win8.1 has the option to boot to desktop (some people already have the Preview installed). Programs like Start8 also have the option to boot to desktop. I don't get what u mean by Metro as an app on the desktop cause Metro is actually the Start Menu now. You want to the Start Menu to be an app on the desktop?

I guess you could say that. If they insist on booting to the "start menu" and making it an awkward fullscreen menu designed primarily for touchscreens then yes. If I want to open it I'll do it myself. I don't want it open when I boot my computer.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="INF1DEL"]

INF1DEL

I guess you could say that. If they insist on booting to the "start menu" and making it an awkward fullscreen menu designed primarily for touchscreens then yes. If I want to open it I'll do it myself. I don't want it open when I boot my computer.

The new Metro menu with 8.1 has a start button and also can have the same background as your desktop, so it comes up sort of "inside" the desktop like the old menu used to do. It's a big improvement cause the hot corner didn't work with a mouse.

And like I said, 8.1 has the option to go straight to desktop so you don't even need to use the Metro Menu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ7n9Dpuo5c

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Got* a Windows 8 Pro, upgrade pack for cheap off my Student Email, and it's been sitting in the box very tempted to upgrade to it but i'm just worried that coming from W7, i'll have compatibility issues, or some games won't be supported, or stupid crap like that.

TerryCrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TerryCrew
Member since 2013 • 48 Posts
I dislike the lack of a "Start menu" being able to access things like "my computer", audio settings, and other programs seems counter-intuitive; if I could I would "upgrade" back to windows 7.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FelipeInside
I dislike the lack of a "Start menu" being able to access things like "my computer", audio settings, and other programs seems counter-intuitive; if I could I would "upgrade" back to windows 7. TerryCrew
/facepalm There is no "lack" of Start Menu, it's still there. I access My Computer and Audio Settings all the time. And here's a pro tip, Desktop Icons.