This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I guess I've been living under a rock as I thought my two choices for hard drives would be a traditiona hard drive or a solid state drive. Now I've seen this hybrid, which sounds like an in-between of the faster speeds of SSD, but more economical of a traditional HDD.

Currently, I find the SSD to be too expensive for the little amount of data provided, but the hybrid drive seems like the way to go.

However, I'm wondering if I do go with a hybrid if I should completely reformat my PC as if I just add it, my traditional HDD will still be my boot drive. I'd figure I'd want my hybrid to be my boot drive.

Is hybrid a good choice for those not wanting the more expensive SSD? I realize a hybrid is not as fast as a SSD and I think I'm okay with that.

Thanks for your help :)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Cwagmire21:

Hybrid is a bit faster than a HDD but not as big as a gap as getting an SSD, so sometimes with the price difference its better to go all the way to SSD.

Can't you use an SSD as boot and then a HDD as storage?

That's what I do. I have my 256GB SSD as boot and I only put heavy games on there, the rest goes on my 1TB HDD.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

SSD's aren't that expensive anyways for what you get.

What about a cache drive? and have you thought about 2 HDD's in RAID 0?

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Hybrid drives are quite a bit faster than normal mechanical drives. They get better after repetition too, e.g. progressive game map loading. They are almost the best of both worlds.

See this review: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5748/seagate-desktop-2tb-sshd-st2000dx001-review/index9.html

"In every case seen here today, the Seagate Desktop SSHD excels, whether it be a synthetic point and click benchmark like HD Tune or ATTO, or even application traces via PCMark 8, the drive just performs."

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@Cwagmire21:

Hybrid is a bit faster than a HDD but not as big as a gap as getting an SSD, so sometimes with the price difference its better to go all the way to SSD.

That's what I do. I have my 256GB SSD as boot and I only put heavy games on there, the rest goes on my 1TB HDD.

Yah, just seems like buying a 256 GB drive is so small. I realize it's mainly for the OS.

@GTR12 said:

No, but I've heard things can get complicated quickly with RAID 0. Just built my own PC for the first time two years ago. Don't want to bite off more than I can chew. :P

@nutcrackr said:

Hybrid drives are quite a bit faster than normal mechanical drives. They get better after repetition too, e.g. progressive game map loading. They are almost the best of both worlds.

See this review: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5748/seagate-desktop-2tb-sshd-st2000dx001-review/index9.html

"In every case seen here today, the Seagate Desktop SSHD excels, whether it be a synthetic point and click benchmark like HD Tune or ATTO, or even application traces via PCMark 8, the drive just performs."

Yah, that's why I'm strongly considering it. I realize SSD is still the best for pure speed, but I still think the capacity is still far too small for the price you pay.

Endgame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Endgame_basic
Member since 2002 • 950 Posts

@Cwagmire21 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Cwagmire21:

Yah, just seems like buying a 256 GB drive is so small. I realize it's mainly for the OS.

@GTR12 said:

No, but I've heard things can get complicated quickly with RAID 0. Just built my own PC for the first time two years ago. Don't want to bite off more than I can chew. :P

@nutcrackr said:

Yah, that's why I'm strongly considering it. I realize SSD is still the best for pure speed, but I still think the capacity is still far too small for the price you pay.

If you tried an SSd for 5 minutes all your complaints would vanish. Before people get one they think it's just the maximum read/write speed that goes up. It does, but what's more important is the random read/qritw speed. It is astronomically higher than the normal read/write speed and most of what you do on a pc is this.