How Often Do You Upgrade Your System?

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEveryMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEveryMan
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Hello

I was curious about this question for PC gamers since I myself am one. How often do you upgrade your system for upcoming games? And do you or did you spend a vast amount on it when you first purchased?

Thanks

Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
It's an upgrade here and there every once and a while. I just got an extra ssd hard drive recently (150 bucks for a samsung 840 256 gigs). Last year I got a 7970, and more ssd space. In a year I'll probably upgrade my gpu. When I first built my pc, I obviously spent a lot (around a grand).
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Mid-range PC.......

Midlife upgrade or two-year mark: New video card.

After 4 years, I start thinking of at least a new CPU/Motherboard/RAM/video card or a totally new PC altogether.

Total price of current PC from 2009 with mid-life video card upgrade: ~$980

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

Major upgrades (several components, eg CPU + GPU + MB + RAM) every 2 or 3 years.

Minor upgrades (eg hard drive, more RAM, case) twice a year or so.

Last upgrade was an extra 4GB RAM about 4 or 5 months ago. Currently looking to change the CPU cooler in the next few months to something quieter, and maybe get an SSD.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

Usually I upgrade every 3 years or so, but this will be my final desktop PC. I'll be giving up my desktop at some point in the next year or so in favour of a more casual approach to gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Every two to three years for the last decade. Before that it was probably every 5 years.

I'm at the limit of what my motherboard can support now and the video card and CPU are very balanced in performance. My next upgrade will have to be a big one with new everything except hard drives and case.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
Built my pc for around $700 4 years ago + the $300 4870 1gb I reused haven't upgrade anything since thinking of a gpu upgrade this year for a performance boost for demanding games but not necessary yet. Defiantly going to upgrade my ram from 3gb and thinking of a upgrading to an ssd as a boot drive to speed up windows and decrease load times in games.
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
Whenever a game I REALLY want to play starts to perform bad. I've built my current PC about a year ago and as long as everything runs smoothly, I'm not considering any upgrades apart from the occasional great deals I can get my hands on. (eg Some cheap ram, a hard drive that kinda stuff). Right now, I'm waiting for RTW II to be released and by that time I will re-evaluate my system's performance 'cause I want that game to run as smooth as possible. (Given it is as good as we all hope it is)
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Except the GPU (8800GT to 670GTX), my last upgrade was...don't actually remember, when was Vista released, 5, 6 years ago? yep, probably 6 years ago. Even if Q6600 is still excellent, it's getting old, probably gonna get a total overhaul at the end of this year or the start of 2014.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#10 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

I average about 2 years for cpu / mobo / gpu / ram type upgrades. I've had my same full tower case for about 8 years. Other pieces, like HDD, keyboard or psu are just when I need it. Probably averages at 300-400 dollars a year on hardware I would guess.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

I'll look at the GPU and RAM after 2-3 years, and a whole system every 4-5 years, but no absolute rules - it just depends when I notice the games I want to run don't run smoothly at the settings I want.

Other accessories like monitors, speakers, keyboard and mouse get changed occasionally, but I prefer to spend more on a really good item that will last a while than buy something cheap that won't last.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

i built my rig in 2010 paid $890. still maxing most games out VERY FEW makes me ever turn something down. BUT i have no plans to upgrade till at least 2014 when new game engines start coming out

This is my first rig so i guess you can say 4 years+?

i am assuming you trying get a idea how often you need upgrade if you get a rig. SO i will say when When you want to. It all depends on how you feel about games. If you must perform EVERY GAME to the extreme max them you most likely end up switching upgrading parts every 2-3 years. IF you don't care turning somethings down later down the road then i would assume you be able get to around 5 years without much issue of course that depends how you build your rig,

thats my opinion

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

every 3 years for me

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#14 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

If theres a new game out I like and I can't max it fully and run it perfectly, I usually see that as a sign for me to upgrade. Usually you can get a few video card upgrades in before you need to fully upgrade everything else... depending on the quality of everything as a whole though.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Well my current PC was built in 2006. I am currently building a new PC. So I guess 7 years.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Usually I upgrade every 3 years or so, but this will be my final desktop PC. I'll be giving up my desktop at some point in the next year or so in favour of a more casual approach to gaming.

HyperWarlock

You can be casual and still have a desktop ya know...

As for the Topic, I upgrade when I need to (as in when most games lag on medium settings, I never go to low)

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
1-2 years
THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

Probably once ever 5 years.

happyfella89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 happyfella89
Member since 2013 • 35 Posts

I upgrade on a consistant basis, change hardware as they are realeased so over time my personal rig is totally different each year. But that is just the industry that I am in, I don't feel comfortable selling a product unless I have tested it first hand.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts
I usually do a full upgrade every 3 to 4 years, and usually change the graphics card when nvidia releases something.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#21 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I upgrade parts as needed, I have a prehistoric optical drive and a case from 5-6 years ago, but a brand new GPU and up to date CPU/mobo/ram.

Usually works out to new gpu every 2 years and new cpu/mobo and such every 4.

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
Well, my current rig is 3.5 years old and in about 6 months I'll have to let it retire because I'll be moving internationally. I did have to replace some ram, though. I'm still considering trying to move most of the key parts (ram, gpu, cpu, hdd) but nothing's decided yet. I just don't know whether it's worth disassembling it and having to throw the remaining parts away rather than give it to someone as a complete unit, considering I'll be likely to buy new hardware once I know I can surpass the next-gen consoles in terms of power. For me personally, if a console generation is to last 5 years, I'd like to see my hardware last about the same.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Every 4 years I get a new proc/case/mobo. Every 2 years I get a new videocard. I'm constantly upgrading other things in-between (monitors, hard drives, speakers, sound cards, fancy accessories, etc.) It's getting pretty fun now actually, I have so many old parts that I actually have two other computers that I've built out using a mix of old spare parts and cheap new ones.

Spare PC Uno - Intel E8400 @ 4.0 Ghz, 6 GB DDR2 RAM, AMD 5850 1gb,180gb Hardrive, X-Fi Forte 7.1 Sound Card

Spare PC Dos - Intel E7200 @ 3.2 GhZ, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, AMD 5850 1gb, 1Tb Hard Drive

And just like my PC gear has accumulated, I have relatively decent accumulated audio gear to accompany it. :)

TheEveryMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheEveryMan

Seems like most of you average between 2 to 4 years which is a common figure amongst the community. I was wondering, how much is it usually to build a computer that lasts 5-8 years? I'm thinking about upgrading mine, but I like to play a combination of old and new games. Mostly an RPG fan who likes to go on adventures. Anybody got a good suggestion for a CPU that will last several years down the line on the market currently, any GPU that is still going to handle most games and so on? Just some pieces of advice, I rarely upgrade and would like to get as many years as possible if I can, but I'm not a graphics whore, just a gamer who enjoys recently released and old-school gaming.

TheEveryMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheEveryMan
You must have quite a system if you upgrade every 5 years which seems to be an ideal span of time for me. Feed my curiousity and tell me what your current specifications are, the price you purchased it for originally and when you did so. Thanks.
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
You must have quite a system if you upgrade every 5 years which seems to be an ideal span of time for me. Feed my curiousity and tell me what your current specifications are, the price you purchased it for originally and when you did so. Thanks.TheEveryMan
I built this PC one year ago: I7, Radeon 6850 crossfire, 12 Gb Ram, 2 TB internal drives, 1 SSD (250 GB). This cost me about 1100 euros. I think my next investment will be a Radeon 7990, but I'll wait until prices drop. 6 months ago I bought a 27" Samsung series 9 monitor for 600 euros. At this moment, I don't really feel I need to upgrade anything.
lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lockjaw333
Member since 2003 • 1743 Posts
I built a new PC late 2011, previous build was 2007, and I believe before that was 2003 or so. Looks like every 4 years or so. I usually build a new rig when there is one big game that I can't miss and my current rig can't handle it. In 2007, I built a new rig because my current rig was choking n BF2, and COD4 and Crysis were around the corner in 2007, so I had to have a new build. Like many others, I was extremely dissapointed when my brand new $1000 rig couldn't handle Crysis all that well....I think I played on High at like 20-30fps. I built a new rig in 2011 about a month before BF3 came out. There was no way I was missing out on that. Also was lookng forward to Skyrim. Since then, I upgraded my GPU from an AMD 6950 to an Nvidia GTX 670, a little less than a year after my built. Sort of an impulse buy as the GTX 670 was on mega sale on Amazon, probably didn't really need it but I figure it will get me through at least the next few years maxing games.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Seems like most of you average between 2 to 4 years which is a common figure amongst the community. I was wondering, how much is it usually to build a computer that lasts 5-8 years? I'm thinking about upgrading mine, but I like to play a combination of old and new games. Mostly an RPG fan who likes to go on adventures. Anybody got a good suggestion for a CPU that will last several years down the line on the market currently, any GPU that is still going to handle most games and so on? Just some pieces of advice, I rarely upgrade and would like to get as many years as possible if I can, but I'm not a graphics whore, just a gamer who enjoys recently released and old-school gaming.

TheEveryMan

If you want 5-8 years I'd say your looking at over two thousand dollars for a six core ivy bridge + dual high end gpu but no one really knows how demanding games will be once next gen console come out and devs start moving in mass to more advanced engines like unreal 4. This current gen anyone trying to future proof there pc before or at the 360 launch which was Q4 2005 would have gotten massively screwed over none of that hardware does well now. By the ps3 Q4 2006 launch nvidia 8800 series was out as well as the quad core Q6600 and that could last you the whole gen if your not as interested in graphics or highest performance especially if you sli those gpu but it generally better to buy one good gpu when you need it and sell it of later to upgrade to a stronger one when more demanding games come out. So basically timing(and a bit of luck) plays the biggest factor in how long before you upgrade as well as what you buy at the time.

Your better off money wise just going for a 4 core ivy bridge(get a K model so you can overclock them to like 4.5+ghz with a cheap hyper 212+)a single mid range gpu and 12+gb of ram(which is the only thing you can reasonable future proof right now for future games) and a large 3tb hardrive so even if games go way up in install size your good. Then upgrade the gpu and cpu as needed further down the line your going to spend way more money and potentially waste alot of money if your try to "future proof" your pc right now only to find out its not good enough. Altough microsoft and sony are probaly going to be alot more conservitive in how strong there next-gen consoles will be to keep cost down.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
I haven't done any major upgrade since I built my current PC. I've only swapped my 8GB DDR3 1333 with 16GB DDR3 1600. (the Kit was actually 32GB, but since my CPU cooler blocks off one of the memory slots, i just used 2x 8GB sticks). They are both G.Skil and the upgrade was only 30$ thanks to either Black Friday or Cybermonday. I've added extra cooling cause I thought it wasn't enough but it turns out, my GPUs just can't handle 2560x1440 well. (In terms of temperature, not FPS, they surprisingly handle it quite well for GTX 560Tis). And last upgrade I did was cause my HDD was failing, so I just went and go a 512GB SSD from ADATA... Sure the price was high, but holy hell, everything is responsive and fast now. I have a hard time dealing with my work PC everyday now.
WWIAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 WWIAB
Member since 2006 • 4352 Posts
last big upgrades for me were a 240GB SSD and a AMD 7870, both were done over 7 months ago I'll probably look at a 8780 if one should appear soon, but CPU, RAM, M/B seem to be fine, even the newest high end games are crushed by any quad core sandybridge/ivybridge and 8GB of ram
lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lockjaw333
last big upgrades for me were a 240GB SSD and a AMD 7870, both were done over 7 months ago I'll probably look at a 8780 if one should appear soon, but CPU, RAM, M/B seem to be fine, even the newest high end games are crushed by any quad core sandybridge/ivybridge and 8GB of ramWWIAB
Yeah, I feel like the i5-2500K with 8GB+ RAM will be good for years to come, and it will just be a matter of keeping the GPU up to date. Part of the reason why i upgraded to the GTX 670 from the AMD 6950. And then we will always have the option of adding a second card. The next thing I need to add (see my specs below) is an SSD. Even though the Caviar Black is very fast, an SSD would be the icing on the cake. Not to mention the Black is loud as hell.
id_mew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 id_mew
Member since 2007 • 608 Posts

I have a bad habbit, everytime a new series GPU comes out, I sell mine and get the newest one.

for CPU, I usually stick with it for about 2 years.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#34 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

Right now, I'm on an Intel Core 2 Quad (which was upgraded in 2011 from the Intel Core 2 Duo I had in 2008).

I usually upgrade when I feel that my system is no longer up to snuff with the games that I play. Right now, my GTX 560 Ti is running fine, no need for an upgrade just yet. But if newer games start taxing my system, I'm thinking about making a move towards Haswell and getting a GTX 660 Ti.

OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts
I don't upgrade. I just buy a top of the line rig every 3 years. March is when I buy my new one. My ancient rig. i7@ 3.2 6 gig ddr 3 @1600 580 GTX ( replacement for a 5970..furnished by the company I bought the rig from ..didn't pay a cent...darn 5970s kept melting ) 1 TB HDD 250 SSD Vertex 2...dead...RIP...miss that 5 second window boot...but haven't really noticed any real difference in gaming compared to a regular HD. I might delay buying a new rig as there is really nothing out there my rig can't run...even Farcry 3 ran like butter.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#36 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Whenever I feel like it, in fact, that 2nd 670 will be mine 3 weeks from now.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Usually upgrade the video card or cards after about 2 years then a year after that usually build a new one from scratch. Probably gonna wait longer this time as my pc still runs everything I play easily ( 2 gtx 560 oc, i7 oc to 4ghz, 3 tb hdd, 16 gb ram, etc).

lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lockjaw333

mitu123
Let me know how the cards perform in SLI. Might be looking to add a second one eventually.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#39 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Every 2-3 years I'll either upgrade a component or two, or build a completely new gaming PC.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46254 Posts

Mid-range PC.......

After 4 years, I start thinking of at least a new CPU/Motherboard/RAM/video card or a totally new PC altogether.

jun_aka_pekto

I do pretty much the same as you. Unless of course I seriously need new parts like more RAM for my previous PC, than I make an exception

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I'll start replacing stuff in about 18 months.

I'll start with a gpu then when I hit that 2 year mark I'll upgrade the mobo/cpu.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

Mid-range PC.......

R4gn4r0k

I do pretty much the same as you. Unless of course I seriously need new parts like more RAM for my previous PC, than I make an exception

Another factor in the upgrade process are the games. If I feel my PC isn't chugging enough yet, I can hold off assembling a new PC for a bit longer, especially if I'm going to remain at 1080p for a long time. I thought Far Cry 3 might prompt me to upgrade sooner. Nope. Far Cry 3 is fine on my current PC. Bioshock: Infinite also looks to be okay too along with Tomb Raider. That leaves Crysis 3. I'll find out next month if this year will really be an upgrade year or not. :lol:

Edit:

On second thought, I don't know about Tomb Raider's recommended requirements. But, it can't be worse than the ones for Crysis 3.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

PC was £900 (with windows and monitor) 4 years ago.

Since then I've bought a CPU cooler and a sound card.

Considering a new GPU soon.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#44 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

lockjaw333

Let me know how the cards perform in SLI. Might be looking to add a second one eventually.

I'll try to test 1920x1200, 2560x1600, 2880x1800 and 3360x2100.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
After a few years.
TheEveryMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheEveryMan

@DJ_Headshot

I appreciate the helpful advice regarding the current state of the market. I don't always play new games, and even if I do, I just want it to run with good graphics, not full HD at 50 frames per second, that ain't me. I'll have to wait to see what is being offered with upcoming consoles, although $2000 is a lot for a gaming rig, especially if you buy it ready made. I'll probably have a budget of $600, try to run a few new games, but mainly stick to old and recently released RPGs. Onlive could be a great platform also. If a new Elder Scrolls comes out then I will be looking forward to it. I like new and old RPG games.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

Every time a new line of hardware is released.

Come the 700 series, I am going tri-SLI in preparation of 4k.

TheEveryMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheEveryMan

Just a quick question. Does it annoy you when you suddenly find out that a game developer of a series you love has forked up the system requirements? I know that put me off the GTA series for a short period of time since GTAIV was such a great leap from San Andreas that graphics and CPUs had to be upgraded in order to get a good framerate going. I'm hoping The Elder Scrolls doesn't follow this path, although I doubt they will do since their games can be run on a fair system. I remember looking at the Fallout 3 requirements and you could play it off a pentium 4 processor which was quite amazing, considering how the other developers were already increasing the resources required *cough Crysis cough* and this begs the question:

Are graphics required to make a great game?

In a way they are integral, but it's not what everything should be about and that's why I admire Valve & Bethesda Softworks.

IFBB-PRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 IFBB-PRO
Member since 2007 • 211 Posts
I'm sort of new to pc building. I can understand upgrading gpu and CPU every 2 years but what is the reason for upgrading motherboard every two years?
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jun_aka_pekto

Are graphics required to make a great game?

TheEveryMan

No. But, if they're there, who am I to complain?

My favorite game is FSX from 2006. It looks very dated although it has its moments.