How much do you spend on PC gaming hardware?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by greengloop (285 posts) -

If you take the past 10 years add up the cost of all the PC hardware you bought including keyboard, mouse, controllers, upgrades, initial costs, etc and then average it out over the past 10 years how much have you spent per year on average?

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (31581 posts) -
Per year? 1000$ 5 years ago,200$ GTX 460,100$ Xonar Essence,150$ SSD,300$ 1440P monitor,1200$ new PC last Fall. 590$ per year for the last 5 years
#3 Posted by chronos2013 (17 posts) -
Probably around £200 average.
#4 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6093 posts) -

i spend around $300-$500. Usually its not internal hardware but accessories like speakers, keyboards, chairs. I want to get a new desk but I can't be hassled with it because of the amount of work required.

#5 Posted by greengloop (285 posts) -

Nah I dont want to include desks and chairs lol. No monitors either.

#6 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13650 posts) -

On gaming hardware I spend about 500 dollars a year. However, spend about 2 grand a year on computers, if you count laptops and their upgrades, upgrading my file server, switches and routers and what not.

#7 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6093 posts) -

greengloop

well then this year, the only notable expenditure for me was $340 to get the strongest video card on the market, the 7970. For that I sold my old graphics card, the 6950 2gb for $120 and also got 3 games free with my card with a real world value of about $50. So all in all I spent $170 on the 7970 and that was pretty much it for 2012. I might do the same this year when the radeon 8970 and geforce 780 come out, I'll see. The thing with me is I love getting cutting edge tech which is not applicable to most people here.

#8 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17329 posts) -

If you take the past 10 years add up the cost of all the PC hardware you bought including keyboard, mouse, controllers, upgrades, initial costs, etc and then average it out over the past 10 years how much have you spent per year on average?

greengloop

Past 10 years?

For the family:

3 Mac Minis

HP Pavilion ze5270

DIY Athlon64 X2 4200+ (first dualcores)

Kid's HP dvxxx laptop

Wife's Sager laptop

Wife's DIY desktop PC

Kid's DIY desktop PC

2 Toshiba NB305-N600 netbooks

2 19" 1440x900 monitors

Toshiba Satellite A315-n4757 laptop

Dynex 24" 1080p HDTV (my monitor)

My current DIY gaming PC + mid-life video card upgrade

Yamaha NX-U10 laptop speaker

Logitech Z-2300 2.1 (2005)

Wireless keyboards and mouse (5 sets) + several additional mouse

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

MS 360 wired controller

2 Belkin USB WiFi N adapters

D-Link router

HP inkjet printer

2 Linksys wired routers

4 WD Passport external hard drives

Generic 2.5" WD hard drive with external enclosure

LG USB2 external DVD Writer

Dynex 3.5" external hard drive enclosure

Average per year: $1314.40 since 2003

#9 Posted by Guppy507 (17398 posts) -
Well I've put about 850 dollars into my computer total, and its now 3 years old. That averages out to about 283 dollars a year.
#10 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6093 posts) -

[QUOTE="greengloop"]

jun_aka_pekto

Past 10 years?

For the family:

3 Mac Minis

HP Pavilion ze5270

Kid's HP dvxxx laptop

Wife's Sager laptop

Wife's DIY desktop PC

Kid's DIY desktop PC

2 19" 1440x900 monitors

MS 360 wired controller

D-Link router

HP inkjet printer

2 Linksys wired routers

damn bro, its good you remember all that lol

#11 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6218 posts) -

Probably about $200/year if you average it out.

#12 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17329 posts) -

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="greengloop"]

blaznwiipspman1

Past 10 years?

For the family:

3 Mac Minis

HP Pavilion ze5270

Kid's HP dvxxx laptop

Wife's Sager laptop

Wife's DIY desktop PC

Kid's DIY desktop PC

2 19" 1440x900 monitors

MS 360 wired controller

D-Link router

HP inkjet printer

2 Linksys wired routers

damn bro, its good you remember all that lol

I had to pay for them. Of course, I remember.:lol:

Plus, most of them are still around the house.....Actually, these are all the ones at home. I lost track of those that went to relatives.

#13 Posted by greengloop (285 posts) -

^Err thanks for the reply but I was only referring to PC gaming hardware.

#14 Posted by mitu123 (154609 posts) -

Like 500-1k a year.

#15 Posted by Plagueless (2569 posts) -

[QUOTE="greengloop"]

blaznwiipspman1

well then this year, the only notable expenditure for me was $340 to get the strongest video card on the market, the 7970. For that I sold my old graphics card, the 6950 2gb for $120 and also got 3 games free with my card with a real world value of about $50. So all in all I spent $170 on the 7970 and that was pretty much it for 2012. I might do the same this year when the radeon 8970 and geforce 780 come out, I'll see. The thing with me is I love getting cutting edge tech which is not applicable to most people here.

Boy, you really are a fanboy aren't you?

The 680 is a faster card than the 7970. And with the broad definition of video card, you might as well add the 690 into that. And if you think the 7970 is faster than a 690, well then you're beyond lost.

#16 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6093 posts) -

[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

[QUOTE="greengloop"]

Plagueless

The 680 is a faster card than the 7970. And with the broad definition of video card, you might as well add the 690 into that. And if you think the 7970 is faster than a 690, well then you're beyond lost.

well, its true im a fanboy, but im definitely not wrong with my statement that the 7970 is the strongest, the king at the moment. Tomshardware and hundreds of other review sites will back me up on that. Here is a gpu heirarchy from tomshardware putting the 7970 ghz in line with the 6990 and the 590. The stock (underclocked) 7970 in line with the 680. And the 690 ontop of the whole thing. But the 690 is a dual gpu card that you might as well compare to a 7970 crossfire setup. If you think you know more than the hardware techs from tomshardware alot of whom have masters and phD's then you really are in denial:lol:

#17 Posted by Plagueless (2569 posts) -

[QUOTE="Plagueless"]

blaznwiipspman1

well, its true im a fanboy, but im definitely not wrong with my statement that the 7970 is the strongest, the king at the moment. Tomshardware and hundreds of other review sites will back me up on that. Here is a gpu heirarchy from tomshardware putting the 7970 ghz in line with the 6990 and the 590. The stock (underclocked) 7970 in line with the 680. And the 690 ontop of the whole thing. But the 690 is a dual gpu card that you might as well compare to a 7970 crossfire setup. If you think you know more than the hardware techs from tomshardware alot of whom have masters and phD's then you really are in denial:lol:

Why would I be in denial? I do own and use an AMD card after all.....:roll: And a hierarchy chart tells you nothing about the performance of the specific card, just which card on the other side is closest to it. Also, the 7970 Ghz edition is simply a higher stock overclocked 7970, which an overclocked 680 can trounce. The 680 is around 5% faster than the 7970, and whether you like it are not facts are facts. Here's a real comparison: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/555?vs=508 The only game that the 7970 has any real edge in is Crysis. (ironic since Crysis is an Nvidia game) Every other game is either in favor of the 680 or within the 5 fps margin of error. I'm not trying to rag on your decision, the 7970 is a great card, and I love AMD and their products. But spouting fanboyish nonsense is just uncalled for on a forum where many people ask genuine questions and want genuine answers.
#18 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6093 posts) -

[QUOTE="Plagueless"]

Plagueless

Why would I be in denial? I do own and use an AMD card after all.....:roll: And a hierarchy chart tells you nothing about the performance of the specific card, just which card on the other side is closest to it. Also, the 7970 Ghz edition is simply a higher stock overclocked 7970, which an overclocked 680 can trounce. The 680 is around 5% faster than the 7970, and whether you like it are not facts are facts. Here's a real comparison: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/555?vs=508 The only game that the 7970 has any real edge in is Crysis. (ironic since Crysis is an Nvidia game) Every other game is either in favor of the 680 or within the 5 fps margin of error. I'm not trying to rag on your decision, the 7970 is a great card, and I love AMD and their products. But spouting fanboyish nonsense is just uncalled for on a forum where many people ask genuine questions and want genuine answers.

I guess you don't understand what heirarchy means...It is a ranking, unequivocal no room for doubts from best #1 down to worst.

The ghz 7970 is clocked at a core clock of 1000mhz, the 680 has a core clock of 1058mhz. Both cards overclock to the same speeds, around 1300mhz which is pretty much accepted universally among the most dedicated overclockers. So the fact remains the 7970 according to tomshardware (unless you start to question tomshardwares credibility, which I wouldn't if I were you) is the fastest single gpu on the market.

Your anandtech bench is more than 7 months old, dating before the 7970's 12.8 drivers came out, never mind the 12.11 and now the 13.2. All the latest benchmarks done with catalyst 12.11 and for geforce, 310.54 put AMD ahead significantly. I don't think you're a fanboy, probably just misinformed. Here are some of the LATEST benchmarks, not 7 month old ones that im talking about, as well as a link for you to follow and educate yourself. These benchmarks are done with very recent drivers for both graphics cards, so there is no question of accuracy:

BF3_02.png

Skyrim_01.png

SleepingDogs_02.png

Witcher_02.png

Crysis_02.png

You will probably notice that your anadtech bench and the benchmarks shown here are way off, thats because anandtech hasn't updated their benchmarks since may of 2012 and for that I can question their credibility as a review site.

#19 Posted by DieselCat18 (2960 posts) -

Another pointless topic like so many others in this forum that disintegrate into nothing more than a trolling war over which is better, AMD or Nvidia....Pathetic :roll:

#20 Posted by Plagueless (2569 posts) -

Another pointless topic like so many others in this forum that disintegrate into nothing more than a trolling war over which is better, AMD or Nvidia....Pathetic :roll:

DieselCat18
Except I'm arguing for neither company, just simply trying to get the truth across to a blind fanboy. I really laugh at his graphs of games that are either AMD-sponsored or specifically focused on by the latest Catalyst drivers, since the Nvidia cards destroyed the AMD cards before 12.8 in Battlefield 3 and Skyrim.
#21 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6093 posts) -

[QUOTE="DieselCat18"]

Plagueless

Except I'm arguing for neither company, just simply trying to get the truth across to a blind fanboy. I really laugh at his graphs of games that are either AMD-sponsored or specifically focused on by the latest Catalyst drivers, since the Nvidia cards destroyed the AMD cards before 12.8 in Battlefield 3 and Skyrim.

ive been civil throughout the debate. For some reason you won't accept the truth, whatever it is I don't care. Skyrim, BF3, crysis 2, crysis, witcher 2 those are all nvidia TWIMTBP titles. You are right that nvidia cards did better than AMD in battlefield 3 before 12.8 (that was around August 2012), but things changed after that. I guess it took AMD that long to figure out their software for a new architecture.

Im not a blind fanboy either, i can accept that last gen the best video card on the market was the 580 gtx, and the second best was the 570gtx, followed by the 6970. The gen before that was the 480 gtx followed by the 5870, followed by the 470 gtx. However this gen, the most powerful card on the market is the 7970. Nvidia chose to go the power efficient route this gen, and theres nothing wrong with that, I favor power efficiency, however they abandoned their crown so they could maximize their profits. Why do you think the 680 has soo few transistors, performs worse than a 7970 yet costs $500? It is just a puppet card with only one purpose, to milk as much money from people as possible. And its people like you who make that possible.

In the end it doesnt matter what you say, as long as sites like Toms hardware put the 7970 as the current king of video cards, it will remain that way.

#22 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10780 posts) -

I just spent $400 today. XD New headphones and a mechanical keyboard.

#23 Posted by Masenkoe (4888 posts) -

I don't upgrade hardware yearly so not sure.

#25 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

Masenkoe

dat's a good game you're playing in your sig.

Maybe my favorite PS3 exclusive

#26 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

Yearly? Well in the past 4 years I've spent a little under 2k between two builds.

#27 Posted by kraken2109 (13211 posts) -

As usual blaznwiipspman1 can't make a post without meantioning his godly 7970 :roll:

#28 Posted by Masenkoe (4888 posts) -

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

whiskeystrike

Yakuza 3 is fantasic only about 6 hours in though. Loving it. 

#29 Posted by Horgen (110932 posts) -
Behold Norwegian prices... Computer from this summer:2500$ Laptop:1000$ That is since 2009. So used 3500 in 4 years or 700 per year.
#30 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

Masenkoe

Yakuza 3 is fantasic only about 6 hours in though. Loving it. 

Oh Thought I was looking at Yakuza 4 You should play that next. Much better and story is so damn good
#31 Posted by Timstuff (26837 posts) -
I just dropped $480 on a GTX 680. I'm Mr. High Roller today!
#32 Posted by MK-Professor (3902 posts) -

To blaznwiipspman1 and Plagueless can you guys agree that both HD7970 and GTX680 perform very similarly?

#33 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13650 posts) -

To blaznwiipspman1 and Plagueless can you guys agree that both HD7970 and GTX680 perform very similarly?

MK-Professor

That's literally impossible on this forum, if the difference is anything but exactly identical one thing DESTROYS THE OTHER HAHAHA 2% DIFFERENCE OMG LOL ROFL PWNT

#34 Posted by Timstuff (26837 posts) -

MK-Professor

From what I understand, the HD 7970 gets slightly better framerates, but the GTX 680 gives slightly better quality visuals (particularly with its options for forced SSAO in some games like Skyrim). I almost bought an HD 7970, but I had enough money to get a 4GB GTX 680, so I decided to take the plunge. If I need faster framerates I can always overclock, and I'll probably end up dropping a second GTX 680 in there someday if I really want to go all out.

Both are superb cards that give excellent visuals and framerates. It really all comes down to what your personal preference is. I chose the GeForce because game developers prefer having it in their rigs, I didn't mind spending the extra money for the extra features. However, when it comes to bang for the buck, Radeon cards are a great deal too.

#35 Posted by kraken2109 (13211 posts) -

[QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

Timstuff

From what I understand, the HD 7970 gets slightly better framerates, but the GTX 680 gives slightly better quality visuals (particularly with its options for forced SSAO in some games like Skyrim). I almost bought an HD 7970, but I had enough money to get a 4GB GTX 680, so I decided to take the plunge. If I need faster framerates I can always overclock, and I'll probably end up dropping a second GTX 680 in there someday if I really want to go all out.

Both are superb cards that give excellent visuals and framerates. It really all comes down to what your personal preference is. I chose the GeForce because game developers prefer having it in their rigs, I didn't mind spending the extra money for the extra features. However, when it comes to bang for the buck, Radeon cards are a great deal too.

Nvidia control panel is better than catalyst as well.
#36 Posted by mrmarrero (306 posts) -

Hmmm.... averaged over the past 10 years, probably around $300 - $400 a year. In the past 12 months? Way too much.

#37 Posted by way2funny (4570 posts) -

3 monitors        ~ 3x400 = 1200
Samsung laptop ~1400 
1 Custom build desktop in 07 ~ 2000
1 gtx 460 ~ 150 
macbook air  ~ 1600
Current desktop ~ 300 + 200 + 120 + 100 +150 +400 + 400 = 1670
laptop I played games on from 02 ~ 1000 

1670 + 1600 + 150 + 2000 + 1400 + 1200 = 8020/10 ~ 800 a year for all my computer setups
the machines i play games on 1670 + 150 + 2000 + 1200 + 1000 = 6020/10 ~ 600 a year 

#38 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -

I tend to have a budget of around £800 for a new build, and do that after about 4 years. After a couple of years I might spend another £200-300 on upgrades - better GPU or more RAM. I seem to have bought an additonal monitor or upgraded an existing one roughly every 3 years £200-250 each time. Add in speakers, gaming mice, keyboard and other occasional bits, and it probably comes in around £3-400 per year, or $5-600 USD after exchange rates, though that doesn't do UK prices justice, since we usually pay in £ what it is in $.

#39 Posted by FaustArp (1036 posts) -

MK-Professor

They totally do.

I'll say it and I've invested lots of money in GTX 680 haha.

#40 Posted by obenns (303 posts) -
well under $300
#41 Posted by Horgen (110932 posts) -
[QUOTE="horgen123"]Behold Norwegian prices... Computer from this summer:2500$ Laptop:1000$ That is since 2009. So used 3500 in 4 years or 700 per year.

Shall I include monitors and a few other things that I didn't mention here? Since 2007 I've bought 3 monitors which has cost me roughly 1100$. Another 50$ on two mice. Also some 750$ on a surround system. Now of these I only consider the last monitor and PC I build this summer as expenses towards PC gaming. Now this brings my yearly expenses at just below 3000$, though that comes from building it from scratch + a new monitor. Had nothing from before except an extra mouse that I could re-use. Doubt I'll upgrade anything on it for a couple of years. The monitor will be used until it stops working. So the initiall expense has been very high for me, however I think the yearly expenses will be low and so dragging the cost over years down a lot.
#42 Posted by BattleSpectre (6863 posts) -

I try to limit my spending when it comes to my PC because i also have a vehicle that is my pride and joy which takes up most of my time and i sink my life into it haha. Every year though i'd say i spend a few hundred dollars for little upgrades.

#43 Posted by obenns (303 posts) -
[QUOTE="horgen123"][QUOTE="horgen123"]Behold Norwegian prices... Computer from this summer:2500$ Laptop:1000$ That is since 2009. So used 3500 in 4 years or 700 per year.

Shall I include monitors and a few other things that I didn't mention here? Since 2007 I've bought 3 monitors which has cost me roughly 1100$. Another 50$ on two mice. Also some 750$ on a surround system. Now of these I only consider the last monitor and PC I build this summer as expenses towards PC gaming. Now this brings my yearly expenses at just below 3000$, though that comes from building it from scratch + a new monitor. Had nothing from before except an extra mouse that I could re-use. Doubt I'll upgrade anything on it for a couple of years. The monitor will be used until it stops working. So the initiall expense has been very high for me, however I think the yearly expenses will be low and so dragging the cost over years down a lot.

Cool story bro.
#44 Posted by whitey_rolls (2503 posts) -

If you had a $300 or less option I may have picked that (would have to do some math first) but the $300 - $500 I'm comfortably in. 

Two years ago I spent about $900 and this year I bought a Samsung Pro 4 SSD - I'll get a new GPU after the next crop of consoles are released. 

#45 Posted by GarGx1 (3235 posts) -

A lot less than I used to but a mortgage, wife and twin girls empties the bank account even quicker

#46 Posted by Primordialous (1313 posts) -

$200-$300.

#47 Posted by Byshop (12617 posts) -

[QUOTE="Plagueless"]

Plagueless

Just ignore blaznwiipspman1. He feels compelled to brag about how awesome he thinks his video card/system is in threads and derail the converstaion. To the Op's question, probably about around 1000-1500 a year total. Some years I spend more than others (like the year I got three 27" monitors), others are less. For example, I was gaming on a 3k alienware laptop for a few years without picking up much inbetween.

-Byshop