How is the Crew turning out?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

As a PC gamer, I have to admit I'm not fond of a lot of car games on pc. During the ps2 era I LOVED Gran Turismo, then moved over to Forza 1, 2, 3, and Horizon. Nowadays though, I have NO console games as I can't stand gaming on lesser machines.

Anyways...The crew caught my eye as something that could be fun to goof off in, like Forza Horizon. How is the game shaping up now that it's been out long enough to get a few patches and such? I'm aware it's not as simmish as Forza/GT, just fyi. I just a few opinions now that the games been out a bit.

Thanks!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@demi0227_basic said:

As a PC gamer, I have to admit I'm not fond of a lot of car games on pc. During the ps2 era I LOVED Gran Turismo, then moved over to Forza 1, 2, 3, and Horizon. Nowadays though, I have NO console games as I can't stand gaming on lesser machines.

Anyways...The crew caught my eye as something that could be fun to goof off in, like Forza Horizon. How is the game shaping up now that it's been out long enough to get a few patches and such? I'm aware it's not as simmish as Forza/GT, just fyi. I just a few opinions now that the games been out a bit.

Thanks!

I'm loving it so far. (bought it about a week back)

Like you say, it's a fun game to goof off in. By no means it's a simulator, this is full on arcade racing like Need for Speed.

The engine works flawlessly for me, no slowdowns and no disconnects so far. There is an option to put the FPS at 60 (beta didn't have that), and they also added the in-car camera view. I've only had one rubber-banding issue so far in PvP matches.

Most online players play PvP (Faction Wars), but some also join up with you in campaign missions, although the best way to play those would be with friends.

Get it, it's fun.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

It's got a lot of problems. Most of the problems are small and should be relatively easy to resolve.

I think the most obvious issue with this game is that it's not really an MMO. Yes, there's a lot of people playing the game, but you don't see them. You'll see more people in a game of Call of Duty, then you will at any one time in the crew. Each player is put into a 'session', where you're grouped with other players, a session is capped at 8 players.
No, not very MMO.

The next biggest issue is the handling of the vehicles. In the beginning, with little to no vehicle upgrades, the driving feels awful. Once you start leveling each car up, the driving eventually becomes manageable but never gets to the point where it feels good.
I don't know how to explain the handling other than saying it just feels slow. Weaving through traffic can be a nightmare in this game.

For reference, I really like the handling of games like Forza Horizon (haven't played the second), the original GRID and Dirt 2.

There aren't many cars. There's more coming, but they're coming in paid DLC... Missing a lot of must have cars for a racing game of this type. Most notably WRX, RX7, EVO and many more.

I could list many problems with this game, I have put over 72 hours into it (unfortunately a lot of those hours have been spend grinding performance parts), so it'd be silly for me to say it's not worth buying.
I think if you're really into games like this, then give it ago. But for people who don't care much for racing games an are just interested to see what a racing "MMO" is like; stay away.

The best thing about this game is it's map. I honestly think it should get recycled, as is, into another game. Would almost seem like a waste to not use it for something else.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

I really really love it but I can see why it got average reviews. Some of the missions are crazy hard and the cop and racer AI will **** you every way they can. The MMO aspects are a bit weak but when you're playing with friends who cares. By far the best thing about the game is the MASSIVE open world which is an absolute joy to drive through. For some reason I feel like older gamers would appreciate this game more than the younger gamers. Pick it up on Steam while it's on sale if you enjoy racing games.