How Does Risen compare to The Witcher?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by slvrraven9 (9235 posts) -

i know the games are similar...just looking for anyones view on this.

#2 Posted by RyuRanVII (4224 posts) -

Risen is more comparable to Skyrim than The Witcher. And in my opinion it was better then Bethesda's latest game.

#3 Posted by slvrraven9 (9235 posts) -

Risen is more comparable to Skyrim than The Witcher. And in my opinion it was better then Bethesda's latest game.

RyuRanVII
REALLY??? Skyrim!??? and am i to understand that you would even go as far as to say that its BETTER than Skyrim???
#4 Posted by topsemag55 (19063 posts) -
Risen doesn't even begin to compare. TW1's intro cinematic is almost half a GB, runs at 500 fps, and used stop-motion of a real person for Geralt. The hair even moves as IRL. The intro took more than 1 year to engineer, and featured real swordplay. TW1 also incorporated Nvidia-specific graphics commands in the game's executable. TW:EE was offered free-of-charge to those who purchased the original.
#5 Posted by ShimmerMan (4426 posts) -

Some people are trolling in this thread when they say Risen is better than Skyrim. Risen Vs The Witccher I guess is more down to preferences.

Linear RPG with linear customization but heavy on story (The Witcher) vs Unifinished sandbox RPG which was fun for a bit but ultimately is a half unifinished product (Risen). Personally I'm not a fan ofThe Witcher video games, I don't like the protagonist or the incoherent dialogue and voice acting, and I don't like the character customization in the game so I would go for Risen.

#6 Posted by shane_orija (910 posts) -
[QUOTE="RyuRanVII"]

slvrraven9
REALLY??? Skyrim!??? and am i to understand that you would even go as far as to say that its BETTER than Skyrim???

True. Skyrim is just a shallow game that involves killing hundreds of people mindlessly. Not that it is bad game, heck, it is one of my favorites but there really isn't any depth to it. Risen has the best combat I've seen in an RPG while it is the combat that people find lacking in The Witcher. Of course, The Witcher games have the best plot and characters amongst every contemporary RPG.
#7 Posted by mirgamer (1865 posts) -
Risen is a pretty brilliant sandbox game for its budget. But its not really comparable to the Witcher series. Skyrim is a much more complete and expansive product than Risen but obviously it probably has like 10x its budget...
#8 Posted by ferret-gamer (17310 posts) -
[QUOTE="topsemag55"]Risen doesn't even begin to compare. TW1's intro cinematic is almost half a GB, runs at 500 fps, and used stop-motion of a real person for Geralt. The hair even moves as IRL. The intro took more than 1 year to engineer, and featured real swordplay. TW1 also incorporated Nvidia-specific graphics commands in the game's executable. TW:EE was offered free-of-charge to those who purchased the original.

As much as i love Witcher, i have to say, that really doesn't have much to do in comparing Witcher to Risen, they are video games, not intro cinematics.
#9 Posted by Pedro (21006 posts) -

True. Skyrim is just a shallow game that involves killing hundreds of people mindlessly. Not that it is bad game, heck, it is one of my favorites but there really isn't any depth to it. Risen has the best combat I've seen in an RPG while it is the combat that people find lacking in The Witcher. Of course, The Witcher games have the best plot and characters amongst every contemporary RPG. shane_orija

I am confused as to what is shallow about Skyrim. If killing hundreds of people mindlessly is the base reason then that logic can effortlessly be applied to every game in which you kill people even in The Witcher.

#10 Posted by with_teeth26 (6018 posts) -

I think they both require some patience to get into, and are both very rewarding in the long run. IMO Witcher 1 has a better atmosphere, story and characters. Risen gives you a great sense of progression, and is very immersive.

Overall I'd say The Witcher is better, but Risen is a great game as well.

#11 Posted by kozzy1234 (35140 posts) -

Two of my favorite rpgs of the last while, enjoyed both Risen and The Witcehr alot.

Witcher is more story oriented and Risen is more about exploration and interacting with teh world around you. Both very good rpgs.

I honestly liked Risen more then Oblivion and Fallout3 personally as far as open world rpgs go.

#12 Posted by Jawad2007 (215 posts) -

risen is crap witcher 2 is way better and skyrim is the best . the story in witcher is best , but the variety in skyrim and skills tress and the time wasted is better , the combat in skyrim is something different that witcher but each one got their uniqueness . but for me risen is Really not a game not rpg not anything ..

#13 Posted by kokonut1971 (443 posts) -

I have played and completed risen and i must say that i like it better than the witcher. I have tried many times to get into the witcher but it is a mess. The wticher has a big learning curve compared to Risen. Risen is like Gothic. You have a main storyline, some quests to do and you receive somne loot but it is well done...

In witcher most of the time you have no clue of what to do unless you trigger something and even then it aint that fantastic.

I am sure that witcher is super great but not a regular run of the mill easy arpg like risen. If you want a simple arpg, to relax and burn time and enjoy rich looking graphics, play risen or even arcania, which i loved both by the way!

#14 Posted by bussinrounds (1989 posts) -

[QUOTE="shane_orija"]True. Skyrim is just a shallow game that involves killing hundreds of people mindlessly. Not that it is bad game, heck, it is one of my favorites but there really isn't any depth to it. Risen has the best combat I've seen in an RPG while it is the combat that people find lacking in The Witcher. Of course, The Witcher games have the best plot and characters amongst every contemporary RPG. Pedro

I am confused as to what is shallow about Skyrim. If killing hundreds of people mindlessly is the base reason then that logic can effortlessly be applied to every game in which you kill people even in The Witcher.

I'll just copy my post from another recent thread.

Bethesda are VERY overated RPG devs. They create nice looking enviorments, but when you really look at they're games from an RPG standpoint, they're very lackluster.

Skyrim is just so much mindless violence.

For example - My contact tells me to go kill something, and then I have to go kill it, or that part of the story ends there. And that's Skyrim, over, and over, and over

I think this is where the feeling of linearity is coming from. In Skyrim, unlike in New Vegas, and many other great RPGs, I can't choose anything but mindless violence to complete quests.. You have two choices ultimately in Skyrim:

1. Mindless violence.
2. Stop playing.

In that way, it is linear, and it is shallow.

And generally, unless it's a person you're meant to talk to, speech is completely worthless.

Fallout 3 - you can solve every problem by killing someone. But even worse than Fallout 3, Skyrim encourages you into that way of thinking. Due to that, I couldn't really enjoy it that much, and I couldn't immerse myself in it. I mean, if you can just go from one group to the next, killing, killing, and killing some more without ever noticing your kill count or caring, then fine... I guess it's the game for you.

But I remember doing so many other things in so many other games.

Why has it all come down to this?

Why has the great RPG just been diluted down into killing things?

If I wanted to just kill everything and have the sort of depth that could be written down onto a napkin, then I'd play CoD. I play RPGs because they're supposed to offer me something different. Consider this: Ultima VII is thought to be one of the best RPGs of all time. Despite that, the combat is horrible, and it's almost better to go through the entire game without every using your sword or magicks on anything. Only very rarely will you be thrust into unavoidable combat. The depth came from the world, the characters, and the story.

Skyrim is like the opposite of that. The lack of depth comes from how I'm some genocidal maniac (like the Blades, like the Vigilants of Stendarr, like the Silver Hand, like the Thalmor, like Alduin's dragons, like so many other groups in the game), and I can't choose to be anything else. It's KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL.