How do I transfer my OS to a SSD?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

I am going to be upgrading my RAM and installing a SSD in the next few months, but exactly how do I transfer my OS? I have a 2 TB hard drive that is by no means full, but I really just want to transfer my OS. I don't think I have my Windows Instalation discs since I got it for free through my school so a fresh install could be out of the question. What are my options?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Depending on the SSD some comes with Mirroring software which allows you to transfer the OS over. there is some Work required after that ofcourse, seeing as the hardware the OS needs to get retold what hardware it is running although if on the SSD and RAM are new, there is not a Whole lot there to fix or after.

If it does not come with mirroring software, I would suggest buying some, as that is likely the best bet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Apparently it comes with Acronis True Imaging HD. I work for an IT company and we use an older version of Acronis which is very reliable. Hopefully I will have all the tools I need to make this happen. My PC is going to scream!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Fresh install is what most recommended to prevet many failures

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@PredatorRules:

Easier said than done, most of the time a fresh install isnt possible. I don't think I have my Windows software anymore, but I can check.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

@PredatorRules:

Easier said than done, most of the time a fresh install isnt possible. I don't think I have my Windows software anymore, but I can check.

I keep my OS install on my flash drive

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

@PredatorRules:

Can't you just DL a program to grab your serial key and then download Windows from Microsoft's site?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It's not hard to google solutions:

http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

It shouldn't be too hard so long as the used space on the old hard drive doesn't exceed the capacity of the SSD.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

@PredatorRules:

What he said. Fresh install is always the best on a brand new SSD. I wouldn't consider doing anything else and there is no excuse to do otherwise. Find your cd-key, ask Microsoft for help if you have trouble.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

So I found the Windows 8.1 Image and I have it stored on an external HDD. I also located my product key so it appears that I am set, however, once I install Windows 8.1 on my SSD, what happens to the Windows on my 2TB HDD? I heard you can somehow deactivate it, but I do not know if this is true. Thanks!

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

once I install Windows 8.1 on my SSD, what happens to the Windows on my 2TB HDD?

You have to wipe all traces of that Win 8.1 install from the 2Tb hard drive. I prefer to use a Linux Live CD for the repartition/reformat part. Luckily I have a spare PC I can use to do that with.

I also have an external enclosure that use SATA hard drives. I could put the old hard drive in it, connect it to a PC that is already booted up and erase/reformat the old hard drive.

What you should avoid at all costs is have the hard drive with the old Windows 8.1 install boot up.

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

Fresh install is what most recommended to prevet many failures

yes, I can vouch for this statement, it ****ed up my perfectly new Samsung 840 EVO.