how do i remove hp media smart?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

ok everytime I download a picture from the internet, hp media smart opens the picture. I minimize the program and it maximizes itself, causing the computer to slow down. this just happen recently and it does like 98% of the time, so i have no idea how this happen. unless its some sort of virus. Now I try to uninstall hp media smart, but I'm getting a dll crashed call.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

@TheShadowLord07:

possible solutions

Stop it from starting up when Windows does. Control panel/administrative tools (search)/system configuration/startup

change default program for opening photos (png, jpeg) control panel/ default programs (search)/ associate file type...common file types for photos are png, jpeg. In the future just add more file types, if needed, to open with different default programs

I will look into your error to see if it can be unistalled, but I believe both of these solutions together will stop the program.

Also if you use the BluRay player supposedly the software is required

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

1: Hold down the "shift" button and right-click the image.

2: Select the option, that is similar to "Choose standard Program".

3: Choose your new default program.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

1: Back up all of your important files.

2: Reformat your harddrive.

3: Install windows fresh, by itself, without the piles of useless, system-clogging bloatware that HP put on your computer before selling it to you.

4: Never buy a brand-name computer again, unless you're ordering it custom-built, with an option to have a clean windows install, without any extra software. (Dell offers such an option, when you order a custom laptop from them. Or at least they did when I bought mine, about four years ago)

Everybody I know with box-store laptops is always complaining about how slow they run, and how much shit is constantly popping up by itself when they boot their computers up, and they all have like two dozen icons in the system tray in the bottom right of the desktop, most of which they don't even know what they are. Makes me really happy that my Dell laptop has only 6 icons in the system tray, and I know exactly what each of them is, because I put them there myself.

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheShadowLord07

@redskins26rocs

only problem is that it doesn't show up in administrative tools. and I don't really need it for the blu player because it stopped working.

edit: just to let everyone know, this computer was bought in 2009 and I have never had this problem before.

jd7904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 jd7904
Member since 2004 • 101 Posts

@TheShadowLord07: Try clicking on your start icon in the lower left corner. When your start menu pops up type msconfig into the text box at the bottom. go to startup and services and see if it is in either one of those. Uncheck the box next to it to disable it completely. If you do not use the program you can also uninstall it by going into start menu> control panel>uninstall a program. Find it on the list of programs then uninstall.

If you feel a virus or trojan may be an issue pick up a copy of malwarebytes from here. For anti virus check out this article and decide for yourself. I have tried most and use AVG, have had problems with Avira and UAC. also check out this program called CCleaner. it has some registry cleanup stuff as well as program removal in its free version that works great. Hope this helps.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By redskins26rocs

@TheShadowLord07: I would backup your important files and fresh install your OS, or use something like CCleaner to cleanup the registry. Use the disc that came with the system, the additional software should be optional, if not you should be able to delete the program once it is properly working (next time clarify if the program does not work)

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

well if it is adware

then try adwcleaner

[url]http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/[/url]

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

The same way you remove every other program. I used to have an HP laptop and all of the HP bloatware was under programs and features to easily be uninstalled.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By redskins26rocs

@Toxic-Seahorse: Dont want to sound like an a** but can you read?

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@redskins26rocs said:

@Toxic-Seahorse: Dont want to sound like an a** but can you read?

obviously not.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

If you can't uninstall it just delete it and clean your registry with ccleaner

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheShadowLord07

@redskins26rocs

Could I clean up the registry with ccleaner instead of doing a freash restall? I have alot of stuff on my computer and I don't have an external hdd.

@JigglyWiggly_

and how long does this adware cleaner take jiggly? I left for a few minutes and it still says its pending

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By redskins26rocs

@TheShadowLord07: yeah I said "or"

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheShadowLord07

I try using the ccleaner but it looks like it didn't work. it wasn't mention as one of the errors to be fix. I'll deal with for now till I get my ssd back to move my files to my rig. but let me know of you can come up with a solution.