How do I insert a CPU w/o bending the needles

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RazielTakwan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RazielTakwan05
Member since 2004 • 808 Posts
?
Glordit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Glordit
Member since 2005 • 1525 Posts
?RazielTakwan05
If you bend the pins you ca nbasically throw the CPu away! so its best not to bend them. just put it onto of the socket and it should fall in place then press down on he CPU and push on zif lock!
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts
Ummm how could you? Its just pop in and pop out. Make sure you unlatch the retention clip.
_0V3RKI11_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 _0V3RKI11_
Member since 2006 • 2267 Posts
It's really hard to bend the pins on CPUs, with teh socket 775, the pins are actually on the motherboard, and also all the new Processors (775, AM2, most likely 939, don't know how much further back) The proc simply slips into place, and you pull a lever over it.
habitat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 habitat
Member since 2003 • 260 Posts
Bending pins...ouch that sounds horrible...did you line the golden triangle up with the right spot on the socket?  It only goes in one way and if it doesnt fall into place by itself its the wrong way...make sure you released the lock bar on the socket to the open postion otherwise the CPU wont go in at all. 
TheLiberal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheLiberal
Member since 2007 • 294 Posts
Ummm how could you? Its just pop in and pop out. Make sure you unlatch the retention clip.9mmSpliff

QFT

On that note, I did bend a couple pins on an old cpu and was able to bend it back with some of those hair tweezers women use.  It worked.  You just have to be careful with them.
Arch_Demonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Arch_Demonz
Member since 2006 • 671 Posts
dont be a bloody savage with delicate computer equipment
meltedmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 meltedmuffin
Member since 2007 • 1166 Posts
it's not exactly delicate, using tweezers is a bit risky though dirt and grease could easily transfer. most of the time if it's just a small bend then use a trick I use at work heat up the area around the bent pin, gently! (a paperclip and a lightler works well) then using needle nose pliers (clean of course) ease it back into line with the other legs
_0V3RKI11_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 _0V3RKI11_
Member since 2006 • 2267 Posts
I can remember when I was on work experience, someone had used thermal epoxy on the HSF and CPU, when the CPU was taken out, it bent SO many pins... You can bend them back, just takes time and patience...
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts
If you bend a pin, the best way to straighten them is...........take the ink sleeve out of a Bic pen and slide it over the pin, then do somet wiggling to get it straight.
Sandro909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 Sandro909
Member since 2004 • 15221 Posts
If you bend a pin, the best way to straighten them is...........take the ink sleeve out of a Bic pen and slide it over the pin, then do somet wiggling to get it straight.9mmSpliff

That's pretty ingenious. :lol:
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

[QUOTE="RazielTakwan05"]?Glordit
If you bend the pins you ca nbasically throw the CPu away! so its best not to bend them. just put it onto of the socket and it should fall in place then press down on he CPU and push on zif lock!

I've seen many a CPU with bent pins and I've been able to repair every one I've encountered by bending them back with a piece of hard plastic (spliff's suggestion of a Bic pen is my fav). The CPU is only toast if you -break- a pin off.

As for how to insert a CPU without bending the pins, I have no response for that. ZIF sockets make this a breeze. Take ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) literally. If you have to apply -any- pressure to a CPU in order to get it to sit in the slot, then you don't have it lined up properly. When the lever is up the CPU should just drop right in place. I don't know what else to tell ya.

If you have problems with a ZIF socket, you would have -loved- the days of SIPPs (the precursor to SIMMs, which were the precursor to the DIMMs we use today) and pre-ZIF CPU sockets.

-Byshop