How can you check performance before purchase

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mattamomo (889 posts) -

So thanks to the help of everyone on the forum i have decided on a intel i5 4570 haswell (im not planning on overclocking)

A GeForce gtx 760 acx 2gb

(I was going for the gigabyte but the price took a £20 increase so the geforce was only £8 more)

And 12-16gb of ram

Before I make the purchase how can i check what kind of performance i will be getting?

Cheers

#2 Posted by Arthas045 (5095 posts) -

Not sure what to point you towards, but you will be fine with anything on the market now.

#3 Edited by PredatorRules (7268 posts) -
#4 Edited by PfizersaurusRex (660 posts) -

I'm sure there are lots of benches for that CPU and GPU. I prefer Anandtech for performance comparison.

CPU bench

GPU bench

#5 Posted by mattamomo (889 posts) -

Sorry i should have been more specific

there was a site which i can no longer find, which if you put your ram, GPU, and CPU in it would show you frame rates at max settings.

i was wondering if anything like that is still around

#6 Posted by Gammit10 (2250 posts) -

@mattamomo: That sounds similar to systemrequirementslab.com

#7 Edited by Sweetbackhair (1926 posts) -

Asking on here also works too, most of us knows what games you can play at which settings depending on the rig you have.

#8 Edited by mattamomo (889 posts) -

GeForce gtx 760 acx 2gb

intel i5 4570

16gb ram

say i had metro last light and battlefield 4 as games i wanted to play reasonably high on settings, what could i get and average nicely do you think?

#9 Posted by mastershake575 (8351 posts) -

I'm not sure about a website where you plug in your stats and it gives you results (never heard of it personally).

The best I can do is a review of the 760 ACX http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_760_SC_ACX_Cooler/1.html

It has 17 games tested and the setup for the charts is 8 gigs of DDR3 1600 with an i7 4770K at 4.2ghz which isn't a ton faster than what you have now in terms of CPU (you should get within 5-10% of the results on the benchmark on most games).

#10 Edited by mattamomo (889 posts) -

@mastershake575:

that is slightly disconcerting, i would rather like better performance from metro last light, i swear everytime i settle on a GPU i end up upping the budget again

#11 Edited by PredatorRules (7268 posts) -

GeForce gtx 760 acx 2gb

intel i5 4570

16gb ram

say i had metro last light and battlefield 4 as games i wanted to play reasonably high on settings, what could i get and average nicely do you think?

http://youtu.be/dmGWyAyO9mc?t=2m49s

Although he used i7 extreme - and Metro is a CPU hog...

#12 Edited by mastershake575 (8351 posts) -

@mastershake575:

that is slightly disconcerting, i would rather like better performance from metro last light, i swear everytime i settle on a GPU i end up upping the budget again

You can't get upset over the developers mistake (that's a bad habit that can lead to upgrading/buying parts you don't need).

Metro Last Light is a low budget game that's poorly optimized. Even with the poor optimization, the GTX 760 is able to get 45-48FPS average on very high settings with tessellation (along with most of the other advanced options) turned on

Your getting about 90% of the graphics potential on a poorly optimized game while still getting good frames

That's not a bad thing